Waterfun

This is for Hatem

21 hours ago, Waterfun said:

That is so cool.  Thanks, Waterfun!  Yeah Azimut doesn't know how to advertise, do they? lol.  Just plop their brand new S6 in the middle of Times Square for the boat company's 50th anniversary.  So they probably paid the city of New York a pretty penny not only to rent the spot, but get the permitting and all that but I guess that's about as much exposure as you can get.  I must say, I am partial to their flybridges, though.

But interestingly enough, we launched yesterday and we have a new slip location this year in our marina and it was way in, the 3rd spot from the walk-down ramp) and they had just launched a blowboat which made the waterway even tighter.  I don't think I had enough room to straighten out before entering the slip so I had to go in at an angle which makes is much harder to straighten out.  But a couple of aggressive bump throttles back and forth and all was good.  I can't imagine trying to slip a 50 ft boat, let alone a 60 that's worth a couple of mil like that Azi!

@Waterfun, what's your dream boat?  Might as well make good use of this thread which I was reminded of last night while I was sifting through my pics looking for something and ran across these.  This was the New England Boat show in 2015 where they brought in a brand spanking new Azimut 45 flybridge.  I took a crapload of pics but when I got on it, I noticed that even at only 45 feet and having a lower and especially an upper helm, I couldn't imagine captaining a boat of this size, especially through a tight marina.  And it also had 3 joysticks.  1 at the lower and upper helm and one on the starboard/transom gunwhale but still, you would need camera screens near the joysticks just to see the other blind ends!  I was even wondering how they got it into the Boston Exposition Center building.  Even though it's a massive complex, still must've been tough trafficking that thing into there.

Couldn't even fit the whole thing into the viewfinder!  But I noticed this thing had a much taller windshield on the upper flyridge than most models.  Look at the size of that glass.  You don't usually see that on flys.

snlLuGm.jpg

82Vdzr6.jpg

Cx3SYqP.jpg

RsXkqEB.jpg

lZtPzCy.jpg

This was the craziest part, the boat show special!  They almost knocked down $400K off the retail price.

RO5f9JM.jpg

I love the lines of the Hatteras Sport fish. The ride is apparently amazing. That's a great discount on the Mut. Should have picked her up!

image.jpeg.71e7d6809df3686c3c66c7008b7a2261.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Waterfun said:

I love the lines of the Hatteras Sport fish. The ride is apparently amazing. That's a great discount on the Mut. Should have picked her up!

Hahaha, yeah I could've just reached into my pocket, I might've had enough in there to cover that. :D 

Do you fish a lot or just like that style?  I can't believe how much those go for.  They are amazing boats but seem a bit overpriced.

Here's the other thing I don't get on some of those sportfishers is that front windshield and why they cover it!?  Obviously there's no lower helm but why lose the view and light?  I don't understand this design whatsoever.

See the source image

The Carolina boats are designed without a windows due to the conditions they operate and running the inlets.  The sport-fishers are purpose designed and evolved for sportfishing.  

37 minutes ago, TidalPotomac said:

The Carolina boats are designed without a windows due to the conditions they operate and running the inlets.  The sport-fishers are purpose designed and evolved for sportfishing.  

So no front windshield basically because of crashing waves over the bow?  I thought that was possibly the reason but wasn't sure.  I suppose that makes sense, just seems like a huge sacrifice, especially when now you have to captain the boat from the top of the tower, and those things must really rock and roll in heavy seas.

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

Here's the other thing I don't get on some of those sportfishers is that front windshield and why they cover it!?

5 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

The Carolina boats are designed without a windows due to the conditions they operate and running the inlets.

Always wondered as well. Now we know. Thank you Tidal Potomac.

The Carolina flare boats evolved over time, they were originally smaller with windows, in the mid-eighties they use fiberglass instead of glass on the front facing portion     of the boat, many were converted as well.   The inlets in the south can be formidable, therefore the sport fishermen started building larger boats with more flare to handle the inlets.  In North Carolina there are many inlets that pose a challenge, Oregon Inlet is one of those inlets and has been feature on Wicked Tuna -Outer Banks.  Early on in the series, the northern fishermen  in there lobster boats were a bit put off by Oregon inlet shoals and waves, many returning to the docks or being helped by the locals.   

YouTube has many videos of waves, damage and navigational hazards of Oregon inlet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFMFOh5898&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Do not underestimate a sport fisherman’s desire to go fishing offshore, fishing is the reason sport fishing boats were created and evolved.

6 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

YouTube has many videos of waves, damage and navigational hazards of Oregon inlet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNFMFOh5898&app=desktop&persist_app=1

Not surprised to see that tower get shanked off.  Those things take a lot of abuse because they're essentially a mast with a lot of weight to them.  Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

6 hours ago, TidalPotomac said:

Do not underestimate a sport fisherman’s desire to go fishing offshore, fishing is the reason sport fishing boats were created and evolved.

Reminded me of these pics I posted on the witnessing an accident thread.  These are our waters up here in New England and southern Cape Code in late summer & fall,  This is some hairy @#$%@#!  Talk about die-hard sportsfiher.

fb_img_1536587496326_1e18650c3ed79f44780

fb_img_1536587501026_e19ccb2aabb8fcec9e0

I'm a little depressed right now, Bruins just lost the Stanley Cup to the St. Louis Blues.  We've suffered a long drought since the last championship here in this city..... :D 

@tomnjo, congrats to you and your team, ma man. 

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

I'm a little depressed right now, Bruins just lost the Stanley Cup to the St. Louis Blues.  We've suffered a long drought since the last championship here in this city..... :D 

@tomnjo, congrats to you and your team, ma man. 

Thanks HG, needless to say, I've been waiting most of my life for this. Back in January I figured I would be boating now and not paying any attention to hockey. This team turned out to be quite a story. What a run!

On 6/13/2019 at 9:04 AM, tomnjo said:

Thanks HG, needless to say, I've been waiting most of my life for this. Back in January I figured I would be boating now and not paying any attention to hockey. This team turned out to be quite a story. What a run!

Yeah man, they seemed to play with more heart and will than the Bruins, whom incidentally are getting ripped by fans and the media here lol.  It just seemed like the Blues played like they wanted it more.  That's probably unfair to say about the Bs but it is the impression.  Plus they played oldschool hockey, pound the net and play physical instead of that rinky dinky Euro trash finesse crap the Bs play.  :haha-7383:

I'm sorry, but did anyone read the Az invoice in the picture above?

$2,550 for an ICE MAKER?!?!!

Is the ice in the shape of the boat?

And $1,500 for  a "set of towels with Az logo" !!!

I cringe when I spend over $25 for a thick towel at Macys...

On 6/14/2019 at 10:08 AM, Hatem said:

Yeah man, they seemed to play with more heart and will than the Bruins, whom incidentally are getting ripped by fans and the media here lol.  It just seemed like the Blues played like they wanted it more.  That's probably unfair to say about the Bs but it is the impression.  Plus they played oldschool hockey, pound the net and play physical instead of that rinky dinky Euro trash finesse crap the Bs play.  :haha-7383:

Seemed that way. They made Marchand cry.   whistling.gif

Besides, we needed a parade worse than you guys. The celebration was unreal. Players were partying for three days straight and the fans had a great time. One of the most memorable moments was at one of our locals establishments where the players hang out, a couple of law enforcement officers handcuffed Binnington and were going to arrest him for "Stealing The Cup." This was something that this city and this franchise really needed.

9 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Seemed that way. They made Marchand cry.   whistling.gif

Besides, we needed a parade worse than you guys. The celebration was unreal. Players were partying for three days straight and the fans had a great time. One of the most memorable moments was at one of our locals establishments where the players hang out, a couple of law enforcement officers handcuffed Binnington and were going to arrest him for "Stealing The Cup." This was something that this city and this franchise really needed.

Hahaha, biatches! :D That's awesome.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:20 PM, summerpenguin said:

Hey, those are extra soft towels and the ice is in the shape of anchors.....LOL!  Just kidding.  Yeah, hey, when you're at the level of buying boats of that caliber, what's an extra $2,500 for anything, really?

Here's the same exact model I saw a year before that show in Miami, the center of Azimut boats 2nd to Italy, of course.  Great side view and you get a good glimpse at how high that flybridge windshield goes.  And a 55 in the background.

x6XhfH9.jpg

One that swung by our Salem harbor one day when we were out. I believe this was a 60?

loCNnka.jpg

X11IY0J.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:20 PM, summerpenguin said:

The towels are made from Egyptian cotton! :D  As far as the ice maker, the people who buy these types of boats are of a certain social and financial standing.  They don't care about how much a measly ice maker costs as long as there is one and it works well.  And the logo on the towels is very important and a sign of prestige. 

While that 45 Fly in the above pictures I took is just awesome, the 47 Fly is actually my favorite model of all.  It has a seating booth to portside of the captain's helm.  One of the coolest setups ever IMO.

How cool is this that?  Very cozy and just like a diner.  Family and friends can sit there and chat with the captain on long trips and be a lot of fun.  Plus the fact that it has an amazing flybridge helm in addition to this lower one is just superb.

3472357_0_220320111656_5_0.jpg?itok=E0umXjza

A side view of he booth from the helm seat.

20130409151954-20130409151954-azimut_47-

The most gorgeous boat every built, the Azimut 47Flybridge.  Every single thing about it is perfect.

azimut-47-435670701128554851535270536645

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:57 AM, Waterfun said:

I saw this boat yesterday in our harbor in Salem MA and at first I immeidiately thought Azimut Magelano since it looks just like it, but as I got closer I realize it was something else. Any ideas, Waterfun?  Or anyone else?  Very cool-looking boat and color.

eWElfyd.jpg

Maybe we'll see it again today when we go out again looking for that great white.

Still haven't found out what that make and model boat is yet.  This is probably not the right forum to ask this question.  I thought I'd give it a shot anyway.

Maybe we'll see it late this week when we go out and get a closer look at the name.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:07 AM, Hatem said:

Any ideas, Waterfun?

No clue what that is. But it sure looks tough & sturdy with some eye appeal as well.

18 hours ago, Waterfun said:

No clue what that is. But it sure looks tough & sturdy with some eye appeal as well.

Yeah man I looked all over the place for it and couldn't find it.  I bet it's a new and unknown brand of some sorts, but it's very similar to the Azimut Magelano.  Trawler-like boats.

See the source image

Heading out this morning and heading to Boston.  It's about 15 miles south of Salem, MA where my marina is.  Check out my slip.  I've gotten used to it now and actually like it but it's pretty tight.  Not much room to turn around once I back out of the slip, don't you think?

f9Aa9z6.jpg

h41IBPZ.jpg

klGK2EM.jpg

They build a barrier dock because of all the nasty Nor'easters we get up this way and it encloses the marina better which is a good thing.  And the further in, the less current which is great but if there's any wind, lookout!  That's why the bowthruster will help greatly next season. 

I'm actually surprised several people noticed my new windlass and complimented it.  When they ask me how much it cost and I tell them I only paid the $2,700 for the anchor and the entire custom-made setup and wires etc. and did the install myself, they get all oooh and aaaaah lol.

EQ1VcJ6.jpg

This guy next to me with his Grady White is such a nice guy and what a boat!  This thing is a beast but he leaves it wide open and you can see a lot of wear and tear on all the upholstery and other things from the rain and weather.  Those CCs are tough to cover but still, he should.  It's a shame, but she's still gorgeous.

4OPSqOY.jpg

I really like the way he ties up his lines.

XXQBExX.jpg

oLDCPWQ.jpg

YmW6xCu.jpg

Really interesting shock absorbers he uses I've never seen these before.

mhexC0r.jpg

Mine do the job pretty well so I'm not too worried about them.  Just need a few more for the other two lines but they costs a million $!

yuW2fwf.jpg

KnJJSp4.jpg

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

but it's very similar to the Azimut Magelano

It certainly looks Italian. I searched Italian boat builders but couldn't come up with anything. Your slip is rather tight. I would prefer the other side of the Grady.

22 hours ago, Waterfun said:

It certainly looks Italian. I searched Italian boat builders but couldn't come up with anything. Your slip is rather tight. I would prefer the other side of the Grady.

One of these days it'll show up again and I'll get a good look at the name.

And wow was the fog out in full force this morning. thank goodness for radar and putting it on overlay works great and without your breadcrumbs you can EASILY loose your orientation in this @#$%@#!

I just filled up gas 60 gallons $225.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:07 AM, Hatem said:

I saw this boat yesterday in our harbor in Salem MA and at first I immeidiately thought Azimut Magelano since it looks just like it, but as I got closer I realize it was something else. Any ideas, Waterfun?  Or anyone else?  Very cool-looking boat and color.

eWElfyd.jpg

Maybe we'll see it again today when we go out again looking for that great white.

In the late 80s, I was in Sarasota on a friend's boat at the ramp and we saw an all-white Wellcraft being crane lifted off a flatbed semi into the water. Then two drivers in black got onboard. My friend said that is a prototype Wellcraft and those are test drivers. Maybe what you saw was a prototype of a new model? From your pic, I don't see any markings or name.

17 hours ago, summerpenguin said:

In the late 80s, I was in Sarasota on a friend's boat at the ramp and we saw an all-white Wellcraft being crane lifted off a flatbed semi into the water. Then two drivers in black got onboard. My friend said that is a prototype Wellcraft and those are test drivers. Maybe what you saw was a prototype of a new model? From your pic, I don't see any markings or name.

I did the same thing!  I enlarged it and nothing!  I also went looking for it today and couldn't find it, but then again I didn't really look too hard since I had to fuel up to get to Boston and it was foggy as a $^*(^$%#&)*& out there today, and it just wouldn't burn off!  Closer to land it was fine, but about a mile offshore it was thick as @#$%@#.

But check this out, once I got to Boston of course everything was nice and rosy and sunlight and tourists waiving and planes flying low overhead landing into Logan (thank goodness no 737MAXs LOLOL just kidding) and I figured there would be some military ships in town for the 4th of July since there always is but today might've been a bit early. They were dredging the outer channel and someone Maydayed in full panic mode that they had bottomed out near the dredger on rocks!  He kept calling SeaTow and I called in to assist since I was a mile away and I do carry tow rope with me just for this reason but they both thanked me and asked if I could hang around a little just incase.  I was about a mile away and after the dude called and sounded relieved that hey couldn't feel rocks under them anymore and had freed themselves......NOT!  The wife got back on the radio and she was a lot calmer and ST was almost there.  But here was the dredger dredging the southern channel into Boston Harbor.  Who knows why, maybe a big battleship or aircraft carrier is coming for the4th.  I'll have to look it up.

The DREDGER!

RFIRzdv.jpg 

Beautiful downtown Boston from the water.

Ju0RE6f.jpg

And @Waterfun, someone stole my gaddam boat! :D What a beauty, 45 Fly.

29uTIyA.jpg

Boston Tea Party where you get to go on board the ship and the guy yells "no taxation without representation" or some @#$%@# like that and you get to throw a couple of phony tea bails off board lmfao.  It's fun for the kids.

ViHvwrC.jpg

zHsRt0e.jpg

Now check this out!  On my way out headed back up to homeport and just before running into the dredger, I see this boat a little ahead of me.  @delaney, look at this action!

I see what I recognized quite well and figured I would say hello and I might've gotten a bit too overzealous as I'm by myself trying to captain a 276ssx doing about 30mph trying to catch up to him and take pictures at the same time.  This is the result, besides horrible pics, I nearly side-swiped him!

fhvkfSr.jpg

Nice pic, right? lol

hlc0v7X.jpg

0DEMBET.jpg

Snm5Otc.jpg

A nice 327 SSX just like yours.  Same color and all.  And he was turning to starboard and into my path which caught my attention (you can see him listing to starboard in this pic as he's turning) and so I honked.  Neither of the two guys knew I was there until they heard my manly horn.  But they waved and were cool about it,

k640Xoz.jpg

But this was about the extent of the good pics and thank God it didn't turn into a bump.  I think he would've gotten the better of me.

F0DZYpJ.jpg

But then I pushed the throttle and left them behind.

You were doing 30? Then accelerated past them??  Wow, you've come a long way, HG.  :oregonian_winesmiley:

7 hours ago, tomnjo said:

You were doing 30? Then accelerated past them??  Wow, you've come a long way, HG.  :oregonian_winesmiley:

lol, I know, right.  To tell you the truth, it still scares the @#$%@# out of me.  I don't know, maybe I'm a wussy but it doesn't take much chop for that thing to feel like it's headed for a disaster at that speed.  I had my lifejacket on (first time in 5 years) and the safety lanyard tied up to my shorts lol.  OH yeah, AND MY HANDHELD radio hanging on my neck!

But here's the real reason for my "need for speed" is that whole temperature/RPM/speed thing on that other thread I opened up and that's because I really want to know if my Volvo Penta 8.1 is performing to it's full capacity or not.  The tag on the engine says that for my specific model -- Gi-J -- I should be able to push 4300-4500 RPM.  Well I reached 4300RPM with Justin in the boat with me and we got up to 37knts which I guess is what, 39-40 mph?  I'd really like to know not only what I should be getting for speed in a 2010 276ssx, but what it really is giving me.  If I get to 45mph, I'll be happier than a pig in @#$%@#!  So far I'm only 5-6 mph away from that so maybe my engine is performing correctly? Not sure yet and someday when there's 1/3 tank of gas left and the seas are like glass (yeah, good luck with that one!) we'll give WOT a shot and see where we're at.  That's where this is all coming from.  But I much prefer to be around 3300RPM and around 23-25mph. That seems to be the sweet spot for speed and comfort.

Plus I'm still getting a considerable amount of belt dust flaking whish is pisssing me off to no end because I just can't figure out why.  And that's the spare belt I had as an emergency one I just put on so now I need to get another one to replace that one in case all that flaking tears it off and I'm screwed.

How fast have you (and others) gotten up to?

23 hours ago, Waterfun said:

Your slip is rather tight. I would prefer the other side of the Grady.

Yeah bro, it is, isn't it?!  Son of a #$%#$ I told them to put me somewhere else but they blew me off lool.  But you know what, like anything else, I'm getting used to it and actually starting to like it.  I never noticed until you just mentioned it that it is the tightest one out of all of those!  Mother #%&*%^!  Next week I'm going to practice backing in.  It'll be much easier to get out because right now, I have to back up all the way into where the shuttle boats park looool, just so I have enough room to swing around and get out.  Otherwise I have to back up to that launching dock, put it in forward and turn to STB a little, revers to port a little, then back forward to STB and try to get out but if I don't get all those distances perfectly right the first time, I get way too close to the outboards on that Grady White as I'm swinging around and that's all I need, to take out one of his props!