Jump to content
Waterfun

This is for Hatem

Recommended Posts

On 9/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, summerpenguin said:

When I come out of Stoney Creek I hit the Patapsco river and if I go Left, I go into Baltimore. If I go Right, I go into the Chesapeake. The world is my oyster, haha.

Nice.  You got it made!  Still waiting for some pics but no rush, we got all winter to get by! :( The older I get, the tougher they get, especially in my business.  You must be right near Wingtnut.  I think his place is somewhere around that area.  I love that area.  When I boated Ocean City and went offshore, it was literally one of the best, boating experiences I've ever had.

On 9/9/2019 at 8:33 AM, summerpenguin said:

So, it looks like we survived Dorian. Such a shame about the Bahamas. The before and after satellite pictures are horrendous to see. Such destruction! I pray for everyone impacted by the storms.

Yeah, interestingly enough, perhaps their tourism will rise as a result.   What needs to happen is someone at the United Nations needs to pass a resolution that all countries with certain GPDs above a particular limit (and lower that limit extensively) and have them all support the rebuilding of those entire islands.  Not to downplay it, it was horrible what happened in Puerto Rico, but that seemed pale in comparison to what the Bahamas just went through, or the right side of my face as I went to catch the drone my son was trying to land and was almost going to fall off the boat from the rocking, so once I grabbed it, I accidently pulled it too close to my face as the blades rev up when you hold it because it's trying to get away until you shut it down.  Luckily I won't need stiches but when you don't have much to work with with this face, you don't need to make it worst! lol.  A guy at the marina asked me what happened, I told him you should see the other guy, but it does look like I got into a brawl with a mountain lion and he won hands down LOL!  Grizzly would've left much worst and wider marks.  Oh well.  Could always be worst and more importantly is thank God the blades missed my right eye by an inch lower.  That would've been on a much larger scale or devastation since the power of those drone blades is unreal.  I would've lost my eye, so thank God for that I'll take the puma marks any day over losing an eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 9:14 AM, Hatem said:

Nice.  You got it made!  Still waiting for some pics but no rush, we got all winter to get by! :( The older I get, the tougher they get, especially in my business.  You must be right near Wingtnut.  I think his place is somewhere around that area.  I love that area. 

I have some pics. I'll upload one or two when I can get them off my phone. Wingnut is on the Eastern Shore of the bay. Maybe an hour and a half, or just an hour on a calm day.

Sorry to hear about the drone attack. Hope you are okay. No need to post pics of that!

I've been thoroughly enjoying my "new" boat now that the steering is working the way it is supposed to work. Turning in both directions at any speed is a treat! And the micro-adjustments I have to make to keep it straight while going slow are night and day from the 2 1/2 revolutions I was doing before. What a difference! I took it out last night because during the week there is no speed limit, so running around in the river was just a great time! And why not use a boat if I have one, right? What good is it if it just sits on my lift. But I digress...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, summerpenguin said:

I have some pics. I'll upload one or two when I can get them off my phone. Wingnut is on the Eastern Shore of the bay. Maybe an hour and a half, or just an hour on a calm day.

Sorry to hear about the drone attack. Hope you are okay. No need to post pics of that!

I've been thoroughly enjoying my "new" boat now that the steering is working the way it is supposed to work. Turning in both directions at any speed is a treat! And the micro-adjustments I have to make to keep it straight while going slow are night and day from the 2 1/2 revolutions I was doing before. What a difference! I took it out last night because during the week there is no speed limit, so running around in the river was just a great time! And why not use a boat if I have one, right? What good is it if it just sits on my lift. But I digress...

Outstanding!  Very happy for you.   I forget, but do you have radar on your boat for all that nighttime boating?  Hope so, it's very helpful seeing other boats and even docks and things that otherwise might not show up on just the navigation chart.

Anyway, I did post a pick on the Drone thread right after it happened.  But talking good care of it so it doesn't scar up too badly is already making a huge difference.   Hey. What's another ding or two, adds character.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Waterfun & @summerpenguin & @Denny and @SST and @tomnjo and any others interested in interesting things and in this case since we've been talking about heading out to Stellwagon bank because of all the amazing creatures lurking below, check out what this lobsterman just found INSIDE one of his lobster pots!  Look at this thing!!!

wolffish_img_1306_b6a96c2b02974dfabb444a

img_1305_1024x768_08af62dfea17dd121e2254

So there a big  debate going on this fishing forum and specific  thread about this species and most agree that it's a Conger eel!  Some calling is a "Wolf Fish" which wouldn't be an issue to call it that TBH, but Look at those chompers, and although it looks like it doesn't have any upper teeth which is bizarre as heck because why have bottom teeth without top teeth lol, but definitely gotta be very careful (kinda like this guy) handling these magnificent creatures!  The others arguing the species are claiming Conger eels look more like this, LOLOL!

One guy said he caught this which is a Norway eel and apparently so delicious that it tastes just like Lobster LOLOL!  Hard to believe the exterior of such a nasty looking creature could taste anything like lobster.

45e4bcdb_a91d_4fbc_b4ad_066be89d7479_55b

So apparently the debate was settled when this Pats fan caught this Wolfish and in fact, this is a Wolfish which he caught it back in 2010 before it became a protected species.  He said once he laid it on the deck, all the other fishermen with him knew what it was and backed the heck away from it because apparently as an eel, it could slither along the deck LOLOL!  Now the names seem more fitting.

april252010_wolf_fish2_33f0ad9eb5ba0ea11

 Just thought you mostly lake guys who don't get to see a lot of this stuff would enjoy these pics and topic since this is a thread that Waterfun kindly opened up for me and I'm sure he doesn't mind talking about other things besides Azimut boats which I'm sure we'll get back to.  Hope you guys are enjoying the effort put into this! :) Now they've been a protected species which is a good thing.  Catch one, good luck trying to let it go back into the water.  You definitely need a de-hooker which I do carry for those particular situation where you never know what might be coming up at the end of that line.

Another Wolf fish.  So these are apparently eels.

img_6383_10892aef90c766440e5f0f40d09ed48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was out in the lake the other day taking advantage of calm winds and smooth water. I jumped in to clean up the drive and hull (didn't really need it). As I looked down the anchor line, I thought if this were salt water I probably wouldn't be doing this. This creepy fish supports that theory.

The growth on my hull and drive has been really slow this year. I assume its due to cooler waters. I have two different treatment products applied [comparison test] and they both are working pretty well. Even the seaweed hasn't been as thick as last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, SST said:

I was out in the lake the other day taking advantage of calm winds and smooth water. I jumped in to clean up the drive and hull (didn't really need it). As I looked down the anchor line, I thought if this were salt water I probably wouldn't be doing this. This creepy fish supports that theory.

I was telling the story of when my son jumped into the water without a flashlight at the gas dock to see if he could free that grapnel anchor and he said the darkness is what scared him.  O think if he had a flashlight it might not have been so bad but yeah, he even went back down there an additional 4 times and was going to keep doing it until I pulled his asss out.  

54 minutes ago, SST said:

The growth on my hull and drive has been really slow this year. I assume its due to cooler waters. I have two different treatment products applied [comparison test] and they both are working pretty well. Even the seaweed hasn't been as thick as last year.

So maybe no need for the Prop Glop?  Or are you getting some stuff on them?  What are you using for the two treatment products on the drive?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used VS721 on 95% of the hull. It is a thick paste that requires 2 coats [I cheated with only 1 coat]. Its like waxing your car. Put the paste on, let it dry and rub it off. Time consuming and annoying climbing around the trailer frame and axles. The other 5% is with Easy On [not On/Off]. Wipe one thin coat on the hull and your done.  Let it cure and put it in the water.

I used Easy On for many years and suddenly it disappeared. West Marine sold it. I searched for it and couldn't find it.  At the beginning of this season, and after putting on the 721, I came across it at a repair shop I don't usually go to. Its kinda out of the way. As I'm looking for something else, I turn around and there they are. I grabbed one. Should have grabbed all of them. I'm not certain if these are new bottles or "remaining" unsold bottles. I don't care!

So I put both of them to the test. Where the boat sits on the bunks I didn't get to put the 721 on. But when I found East On, I raised the boat off the trailer and treated the bunk areas with East On. They are both working well side by side. 

If you ask me to chose which one I'd rather use, Easy On with out a doubt. One easy application and I'm done.

You have to remember though, this stuff, including 721, doesn't stop growth. It slows it down and makes it very easy to remove it whether by cruising around or jumping in and giving it a scrub. I do both.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SST said:

I used VS721 on 95% of the hull. It is a thick paste that requires 2 coats [I cheated with only 1 coat]. Its like waxing your car. Put the paste on, let it dry and rub it off. Time consuming and annoying climbing around the trailer frame and axles. The other 5% is with Easy On [not On/Off]. Wipe one thin coat on the hull and your done.  Let it cure and put it in the water.

Very cool.  So did you put the Easy On in that 5% area that didn't have any of the VS721, right?  Just making sure I understood that correctly that you didnt add it on top of the VS721.  

13 minutes ago, SST said:

I used Easy On for many years and suddenly it disappeared. West Marine sold it. I searched for it and couldn't find it.  At the beginning of this season, and after putting on the 721, I came across it at a repair shop I don't usually go to. Its kinda out of the way. As I'm looking for something else, I turn around and there they are. I grabbed one. Should have grabbed all of them. I'm not certain if these are new bottles or "remaining" unsold bottles. I don't care!

Maybe it's one of those discontinued items due to EPA regs?  We'll have to see if we can find it anywhere else if it's that good.

15 minutes ago, SST said:

They are both working well side by side. 

Ok nevermind the first question! Look

16 minutes ago, SST said:

So I put both of them to the test. Where the boat sits on the bunks I didn't get to put the 721 on. But when I found East On, I raised the boat off the trailer and treated the bunk areas with East On. They are both working well side by side

When you get some time, can you share how you raised the boat off the trailer enough to get a roller and/or brush under?  I have to do that come spring and have several ideas but would love to hear others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting the boat off the trailer is as annoying at treating and cleaning the hull.  

First step for me it to put one hydraulic jack under the bow and a second jack under the back end of the boat. Under the drain plug basically.  Jack them up to their limit.  For me this does not get the boat off the trailer. Just takes weight off the leaf springs. The separation comes when you let all the air out of the trailer tires and lower the trailer while the boat stays elevated on the jacks. Put jack stands underneath to ensure your safety if a jack fails. Then climb around underneath. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, SST said:

Getting the boat off the trailer is as annoying at treating and cleaning the hull.  

First step for me it to put one hydraulic jack under the bow and a second jack under the back end of the boat. Under the drain plug basically.  Jack them up to their limit.  For me this does not get the boat off the trailer. Just takes weight off the leaf springs. The separation comes when you let all the air out of the trailer tires and lower the trailer while the boat stays elevated on the jacks. Put jack stands underneath to ensure your safety if a jack fails. Then climb around underneath. 

Interesting method.  Thanks for sharing it.  I had planned a much more extensive and complicated method using A-frames and combinations of that and was going to jack the entire trailer up first, then block the boat at areas I've already painted and then lower the trailer to get to those spots over the bunks.  I tried experimenting with my different jacks and doesn't take much to get the whole trailer up with the boat at both ends. I will think of your method more since I think it involves less work, actually.  Only difference is you gotta  mess with the tire air pressure which is not a big deal.

Speaking of tire pressure, guess what  happened to me on Tuesday night?  Take a look at this stupid hybrid tire the dealership installed on my F-450 Dually!

9pQ07Rw.jpg

So I went to a specialty diesel truck and dually tire place I was recommend to by my buddy at Indy Auto sports who's knowledge of auto parts is unparalleled.  Boy was he right and they told me these hybrid tires not only don't have the appropriate treading, they're basically bull@#$%@#.  So anyone reading this, stay away from the hybrid series tires of any brand.  Mine just happened to me Continentals but look at that shredding!  

Ok, granted (and @Denny this would interest you and you can give it to me like I deserve it because I made the wrong decision and that is mostly the reason for all the shredding that happened) is because I drove it (only a couple of blocks) when I noticed it was flat.  I was at our favorite Chinese restaurant picking up an order for dinner my wife called in and it's about a mile + from our house.  The minute I pulled out of the restaurant lot and got on the main street (mind you this is a town main street so it's not one of these really busy, 2-lane major main streets (but still has cars going by all the time) and immediately noticed a severe pulling to the left.  I knew right away that tire was flat because it had a nail or screw in it off one of the jobsites and would lose air every two weeks or so and I would have to fill her up, so Denny, you can tell me it was my fault because it was a mater of time before it went completely flat.  Regular pumps have a maximum of 70 PSI but my new Conts take 90, so gonna need to figure out where to go to get that much PSI. 

So I couldn't look at it until I got to the first stop sign from the Chinese restaurant and sure enough, got out and noticed it was completely flat.  I was about 3 blocks from my house and it was pitch black around 8pm.  I figured changing the tire here would suck so bad because it's actually a bit of a busy street but super dark and by then, the tire was practically off the rim.  I was kicking myself in the head for allowing my front, chrome rim to take that abuse only to be short of home by those 3 blocks.   I couldn't go any further because another few feet and I would be on the rim.  Thank GOD there was still a bit of rubber under the rim so I put my blinkers on, got out, got all the poles and the jack and the lock nut for the spare tire and first thing I noticed because the tire had practically came off the rim is that I couldn't even get the jack under the frame spot they tell you to specifically use.  Oh man, I shut the truck, kept the blinkers on and walked to my house to get my NASCAR style jack just to lift it enough to get the heavy duty jack under the frame.  So when I got home with the Chinese food but no truck LOL, my wife called my son who came and met me to help me and we jacked her up and got all 10 lugs off and put the spare on.   NASCAR jack barely got the front end with the weight of the engine up, we lucked out.

What an experience but the funny thing I noticed is how many people walking their dogs or driving in their cars or trucks actually stopped and asked if I needed any help.  No matter what anyone says, the world is MUCH fuller of good people than bad ones.  The daughter of the owners of the barn house I broke down in front of came out and asked if we wanted water, or even a piece of cake!!!!!!!!  left over from a birthday party.  Knowing and having so much support from strangers made for a much better experience of otherwise a pretty @#$%@#ty one.

New pair of Continental 275R19.5 (that .5 is what places like NTB and such can't do lol imagine the tire is 19.5?) and a complete alignment and almost $1,000 later, we're back in action with tires that are recommended for that specific truck with a lot more tread than the crappy hybrid ones it came with when I ordered the truck that I already had replaced once before, because they went bald so quickly with such low treads.  Lesson learned and I hope others who read this long post also learned something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a great thing too experience when somebody is genuinely nice. It makes you wonder if our society could actually survive these times. 

My method of raising the trailer was actually "taught" to me by another forum member several years ago. Unfortunately I don't recall who it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hatem said:

Speaking of tire pressure, guess what  happened to me on Tuesday night?  Take a look at this stupid hybrid tire the dealership installed on my F-450 Dually!

What is a hybrid tire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Curt said:

What is a hybrid tire?

Best way to describe it is it's part of a type of tire that is between the "all-terrain" tires and "heavy, mud tires" which have gaping treads and as a result, they've been reducing the treads on the front ones for the last few years to help with noise and increase fuel efficiency.  That's about as much as I know and the fact that they place them between those two other well-known types is where the name "hybrid comes, since they're combining the two into one.  Problem for me is they went too far with the tread reduction from the start and for a guy doing construction, I probably should've insisted they change those immediately when I went to pick it up after custom ordering it because that was the first thing I noticed on the whole truck, was the missing tread!  So first original tread barely lasted me 25K miles and now this at around 50K on a 2015.

But I'll post a pick of my new ones at some point and it's a world of difference.  Good to hear from you, BTW.  Did you see my tank was labelled 103?  They probably jus rounded it up to 105 on manuals etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hatem said:

But I'll post a pick of my new ones at some point and it's a world of difference.  Good to hear from you, BTW.  Did you see my tank was labelled 103?  They probably jus rounded it up to 105 on manuals etc.

Thank you for explaining hybrid. Yes, saw it. Either rounded up, the 3 was supposed to be a 5 or each tank is tested for volume and actual is used. Doesn’t seem to be the latter since those numbers are cast in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Curt said:

Thank you for explaining hybrid. Yes, saw it. Either rounded up, the 3 was supposed to be a 5 or each tank is tested for volume and actual is used. Doesn’t seem to be the latter since those numbers are cast in.

Interesting thinking.  I thought maybe once you took out the float or sensor and whatever else is in there and just had the tank filled to the brim, it would be 105 gallons but they take into account some of the items that are in it and maybe attached to it that reduce it?  But 2 gallon difference is a lot, so I think it's like you said, they just make them as 105s and test them and little imperfections in the manufacturing and curing of the process results in what they end up labeling it at? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I went to West Marine a couple of weeks ago when I was talking about the difficulty of backing into the slip because the helm is on starboard and the finger dock I need to line up with is on portside.  I can imagine how much easier it would be for me if that finger dock was on starboard side, wow, it would be a piece of cake but not being able to see it (even though my stern is quite open for viewing), it's still pretty hard to see and I even have one of those corner wheels installed just in case. But still, that is not meant to use on purpose in this case and is only there for just incase I happened to come close and it takes the brunt of the hit or scrape without damaging the hull.

So the only one that I have an excellent system with that works perfectly is my son, Justin, who is a young, 32 year-old chap and as soon as the platform is right at the dock, he steps off and I put it in neutral and hand him the midship line.  He quickly pulls the whole boat right up to the dock and when there isn't much wind, it doesn't take a lot or effort to pull the boat right up to the dock including the bow.  But the lad is not always with me and one of these days I will have to attempt this solo.  In the meantime, my wife it learning and she might just take over my son's role when she is ready.

In the meantime, at West Marine I was looking to see what kind of clip-on mirror they have that would work on my style windshield bar on the top and found it.  It was a pretty big mirror something like 12" x 6" and was priced at $106!!!  So I grabbed it and without even telling the teller who is pretty cool and they know me pretty well in there by now lol, he said "let's see what they price it on Amazon since we are supposed to match their prices" but I'm not sure if he was suppose to do that on his own or only at my request (which I knew but didn't think of in that instance) and it came up at $46.  So that is what I paid for it and it works GREAT!!!!!

jskef3g.jpg

I must admit, though, yesterday, because Justin was on board, I didn't even look at it once LOL!!!!  Didn't need to since practice really makes perfect and is showing up in this case.  Easily clip is off and put it in the helm storage.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×