Waterfun

This is for Hatem

On 8/5/2019 at 9:50 AM, Hatem said:

@SST, I found this nasty branch just barely floating around and if you weren't paying attention, your props could've easily caught it and who knows what damage might've occurred.  So I pulled up next to it and grabbed my hook and pulled it out.  Then I called the Salem Harbor master and no answer!!?  Not even neighboring harbors called me ack to see if everything was ok and honestly I was surprised at that. 

So I went to the ramp dock and tossed it on there and told a couple whom were site-seeing to please go to the office (which was about 50ft away on the boardwalk they were on lol, so I wasn't asking them to do much) and then some guy in trying to start one of the dinghies (turned out to be one of the harbor masters) asked me what's going on and I told him exactly this! "I left you a present!"  He looked over at it and smiled and said actually said thank you for doing that.

SlxajS6.jpg

A couple of years ago, there was a huge tree trunk making its way out of the Erie Canal/Tonawanda Creek and soon to enter the Niagara River. I made a call to see if anybody would remove it. Nobody did a thing. 

Near the wind turbines, near the former site of Bethlehem Steel, is another tree. It must be super huge because its been in the same spot since spring in roughly 30 feet of water. 3 feet showing above the surface. Why nobody has hit this tree is beyond me. Its almost in a "travel lane" going down to Silver Creek [Sunset Bay].  I use to go down during the day and come back at night. Last years "bump" has made me paranoid about traveling at night.  

When returning to my marina, I'm cruising along at 30 and daylight. Suddenly, there a big stick right in front of me. I zigzagged aggressively and fortunately didn't hit it. If it was at night, I would have split it right in the middle.

There are so many trees and branches in the water you could start a logging industry around here at times.  

21 hours ago, SST said:

A couple of years ago, there was a huge tree trunk making its way out of the Erie Canal/Tonawanda Creek and soon to enter the Niagara River. I made a call to see if anybody would remove it. Nobody did a thing. 

Near the wind turbines, near the former site of Bethlehem Steel, is another tree. It must be super huge because its been in the same spot since spring in roughly 30 feet of water. 3 feet showing above the surface. Why nobody has hit this tree is beyond me. Its almost in a "travel lane" going down to Silver Creek [Sunset Bay].  I use to go down during the day and come back at night. Last years "bump" has made me paranoid about traveling at night.  

When returning to my marina, I'm cruising along at 30 and daylight. Suddenly, there a big stick right in front of me. I zigzagged aggressively and fortunately didn't hit it. If it was at night, I would have split it right in the middle.

There are so many trees and branches in the water you could start a logging industry around here at times.  

Hey @SST did you see the barge in the Black Rock Canal?  They have been clearing out trees and debris from canal.  One day the pile of trees was so large the Texas A&M bonfire group would have been envious.  Looks like the barge hasn't moved in at least a week.  So not sure if they are done or what.  

22 hours ago, SST said:

Someone on another forum saw that pic as we were on a thread about a guy who's been boating since his umbilical cord was still attached lmao and he is in his 60s now and didn't see a log or something and it put a huge gash in his hull a d I think did some damage to his outoard, then another guy commented on my pic and said "yep, that's real Sea Ray sinker" LOL!!  I told him my boat wasn't a SR but that he wouldn't believe the damage something like that would cause to a prop edge.

I found the picture in my former Photobucket list. This is the tree floating along the way in the canal. 

https://photobucket.com/gallery/user/contrails703/media/bWVkaWFJZDoxMjI2NzQyNTc=/?ref=

On another occasion in the canal a large tree had moved completely underneath another boater. As I navigated by him, I told him to check under the boat before he takes off due to a tree underneath his entire boat. He laughed at me and gave me a dirty look,,,,"yeah right."  I told him again he'd better look.   Finally he did...….he was stunned.  I smirked and move along.

I have seen continuous work in the Black Rock Canal lock. New locking doors being installed. I haven't been up close to the lock in a while but it wouldn't surprise me with all that wood especially with the high water levels.  Glad they are removing the wood instead of flushing the lock and dumping everything into the river. Which would put all the wood into the channel right where I hit last year.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:29 AM, Hatem said:

As I'm gassing up, saw some nice boats coming in and out of Beverly Harbor but of course this yacht got my attention as it not only had a crew of at least 4, it came out of the Danvers River which you couldn't pay me enough to go through.  The channel is not only tight, but at low tide, with a draft that thing must have, I would be so worried about getting grounded but when I took this pic, it was out of the river and into the harbor where the average depth is about 25ft and they were headed out to open ocean and probably Boston.  Couldn't get an ID but if anyone can guess?  I think Wolverine is the vessel's name.

Awesome gunpowder grey or whatever that is and definitely a rich man/woman's cruiser!  Sorry I took the pic late as I had to deal with the gas dock but you really can't see how long that boat is from this view.  I'd say it's at least a 60-footer.

JqbmR6R.jpg

I've been trying and can't seem to find any information about this yacht. All I've got is that it's registered in George Town, Cayman Islands by it's port of call on the transom. Even cropping the image and using Google's Reverse Image Search didn't work.

35 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

I've been trying and can't seem to find any information about this yacht. All I've got is that it's registered in George Town, Cayman Islands by it's port of call on the transom. Even cropping the image and using Google's Reverse Image Search didn't work.

That's even cool enough that you gave it that bit of effort in the first place.  Pretty cool and a very sick-looking yacht.  Funny thing it Danvers Port which is a marina in my town has several HUGE boat yards and buildings that work on many boat similar to this thing.  We see a lot of amazing boats coming out of there and I'm not sure what the great secret is with Danvers Port. They must have one of the best repair/building/custom working facilities in the region and besides the marina itself, there's a slew on Volvo and Mercury certified shops that I've heard NOTHING but positive reviews about.  Funny, I've been living in this town for almost 20 years now and never really bothered to check out all the facilities there, that's because when my wife took me there as we were looking for slips and saw how tight it was, I said @#$^#^ this @#$%@# and she agreed.  But I need to look into it some more just to see why these amazing boats come out of there on a regular basis.  There's another boat that a guy posted on another forum that he bought from there and this thing is pretty incredible and he need to traverse the river to get it back to Boston and was looking for someone who is familiar with the river to help in (and of course he was willing to pay them) and a million people volunteered.  I wasn't in the water yet but probably wouldn't have offered my help knowing how much that river scares the @#$%@# out of me. 

And not just that, but the river on the way in is about 1-2 miles long and almost every singe house on the water has it's own dock. It's very scenic and one day we'll cruise through it and I'll take a bunch of pics and post them.  As a matter of fact, my friend Joe Bunn has exactly that but the funny thing is he's owned one of those Silverton Sports Fishers for something like 30 years (I think it's an 1989 Silverton Spotsfisher) and he hasn't even turned the engines on in 10 years, it's mostly an addition to the dock for parties LMFAO but my other friend who is also named Joe finally got him to get both diesels fired up this year but the guy won't take it out.

I bet the bottom looks like this although I heard him once say he has a diver friend who gets under it and cleans it ever couple of years.  Plus I think it has drives not outdrives like these beauties.  Holy crap!

20190807_135317_616388fd0b7964293c931c30

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, Waterfun said:

Keep 'em coming Hatem. Worth many, many words.

This thing is docked in Boston Harbor this weekend.

"The ARC Gloria is the official flagship of the Colombian Navy. It was commissioned in 1968 as a sail-training ship, teaching midshipmen seamanship, navigation, and teamwork. –Colombian Navy" @SST https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/2019/06/18/tall-ship-coming-to-boston

The ARC Gloria is the official flagship of the Colombian Navy. It was commissioned in 1968 as a sail-training ship, teaching midshipmen seamanship, navigation, and teamwork.

It should be fun to get down there and take a look at this thing.  I think I've seen it before.  That's a lot of guys standing of the sailing masts.  Many countries will have a big sailboat as part of their navy to teach young sailors (cadets?) how to sail by just using charts and the compass. 

I was out boating yesterday and while my friend and I sat along Ellicott Creek [Tonawanda] having a great lunch at Smoke on the Water we noticed a tree moving against the current.  It was a windy day. Eventually it will get into the Niagara River. You guys think a FLIR would pick this up at night?

IMG-1505.jpg

A day or two before the above, I was riding my bike along the water front. Eventually I made it to the Michigan St bridge where a restaurant is located [Swannie House]. The restaurant is across the street from the Buffalo River and there is a "floating dock" to tie up to-picture below.  This year, with water levels up, some of the planking is underwater. But when I checked it out the other evening, I was surprised to see a tree needled into the walkway. The current is from left to right but the tree looks like it came from right to left-against the current.  This too will eventually make it into the Niagara River. 

IMG-1507.jpg

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

This thing is docked in Boston Harbor this weekend.

"The ARC Gloria is the official flagship of the Colombian Navy. It was commissioned in 1968 as a sail-training ship, teaching midshipmen seamanship, navigation, and teamwork. –Colombian Navy" @SST https://www.boston.com/travel/travel/2019/06/18/tall-ship-coming-to-boston

The ARC Gloria is the official flagship of the Colombian Navy. It was commissioned in 1968 as a sail-training ship, teaching midshipmen seamanship, navigation, and teamwork.

It should be fun to get down there and take a look at this thing.  I think I've seen it before.  That's a lot of guys standing of the sailing masts.  Many countries will have a big sailboat as part of their navy to teach young sailors (cadets?) how to sail by just using charts and the compass. 

What a grand lady she is!

Denny.

That is one beautiful ship. So cool with the crew standing on the masts. Never get me up there!

21 hours ago, SST said:

having a great lunch at Smoke on the Water we noticed a tree moving against the current.  It was a windy day. Eventually it will get into the Niagara River. You guys think a FLIR would pick this up at night?

At first glance I thought it was an alligator.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, Denny said:

What a grand lady she is!

Denny.

Indeed she is.  Nothing compared to the USS Constitution, of course, but this is not an old man o' war frigate with cannons designed to fight a war etc.  But if you go back a few pages and look at the ones I took of the USS Constitution, she is a BEAUTY beyond anything!  She's a 5 mast ship that survived quite a bit of fighting and not only her history is amazing, but she's just so beautiful, if you like that kinda thing.  Unfortunately, my friend, we changed plans pulling out of the marina and ended up going to look for whales and do some fishing and find this other cove we were told about.  So I looked it up in my chart, found it, looked for in on my GPS and also found it (didn't need to set a waypoint to it since I've become quite familiar with that area) that we just set cruise to it. :) But pulling out of the marina, I was surprised to see Mrs America or whatever this USCG sailboat's name is and even though we've seen it a zillion times, I figured I'd take a couple pics for you.  Surprised she was right outside our .marina.  They were probably looking for me. :D

BblXGAS.jpg

9bF2yyf.jpg

7 hours ago, Waterfun said:

That is one beautiful ship. So cool with the crew standing on the masts. Never get me up there!

You know, after all the decades of building and being in the construction busy, you would think I'd have gotten used to heights and things of that sort, but the older you get, the more scared you are.  In my 20's and 30's, I'd stand up a 40-foot extension ladder and walk up a 12-pitch roof and back down onto the ladder (which is the hardest part) without breaking a sweat!  Now, at 53, my knees shake going up 30 feet only looool.

7 hours ago, Waterfun said:

You beat me to it.  That's exactly what I thought, too!  loooool.

Here are some pics of the new cove we found.  Turns out it's a private beach, but guess what, the water isn't private so we are allowed to anchor, swim, and I bet we can get on that beach and no one would care.  This is a really uppity section of Gloucester and you would think they would complain and they probably would if we swam to the beach.  But look at this beautiful place and how vacant that beach is!

acvWLWp.jpg

My buddy Jonsey doing something I have no idea but that water...oh yeah, that's what he was doing, checking the temp by dipping a toe lol!  I looked at my PGS and it read 64 degrees!  Takes a while to get used to that temp at our age.

jpSjelA.jpg 

This guy got almost right up to the beach.

Btmv0bx.jpg

And the view looking outside the cove and the endless Atlantic Ocean.

XySM35i.jpg

@BajaDriver, I was on the way to the marina and I know this guy BTW, don't know him like a friend but I went through the drive-thru to get my ice coffee and I knew he was in there and parked this way for obvious reasons.  He has the same truck as mine but his is the Limited version but I took these photos for you!  How about that rig?  Click a couple of time if you want to enlarge.  I'll tell you a funny story at the end of the set of pics.  Let us know what you think.

pk0byvb.jpg

xnmtpf5.jpg

BJ96HaU.jpg  

When we were trailering our boat, he would also be at the ramp at the same time and when we were hauling the boat out, he and his (very hot GF) had a great system but get this, he would flush his motors at the top of the ramp!!!!!!!!  He would use the ramp/park water and the ramp is pretty big so he wasn't necessarily blocking anyone or inconveniencing anyone, but I was really surprised they allowed him to flush that thing and the ROAR those engines made for a good 15 minutes in what was not only a boating ramp, but a park was crazy loool.  But what a boat. I love those things but they're too gaddam loud for me.  @MonkeySeaII, is this the same one your buddy has?

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

@BajaDriver, I was on the way to the marina and I know this guy BTW, don't know him like a friend but I went through the drive-thru to get my ice coffee and I knew he was in there and parked this way for obvious reasons.  He has the same truck as mine but his is the Limited version but I took these photos for you!  How about that rig?  Click a couple of time if you want to enlarge.  I'll tell you a funny story at the end of the set of pics.  Let us know what you think.

pk0byvb.jpg

xnmtpf5.jpg

BJ96HaU.jpg  

When we were trailering our boat, he would also be at the ramp at the same time and when we were hauling the boat out, he and his (very hot GF) had a great system but get this, he would flush his motors at the top of the ramp!!!!!!!!  He would use the marina water and the ramp is pretty big so he wasn't necessarily blocking anyone or inconveniencing anyone, but I was really surprised they allowed him to flush that thing and the ROAR those engines made for a good 15 minutes in what was not only a boating ramp, but a park was crazy loool.  But what a boat. I love those things but they're too gaddam loud for me.  @MonkeySeaII, is this the same one your buddy has?

No, my buddy has a 37' Stiletto.  Similar but slightly different lines.  His has Merc 600 SCI engines and they rumble your entire belly!!  I LOVE IT!!  I believe this one here is a GTX model which is a "sit down" configuration.  They're all awesome!

25 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

No, my buddy has a 37' Stiletto.  Similar but slightly different lines.  His has Merc 600 SCI engines and they rumble your entire belly!!  I LOVE IT!!  I believe this one here is a GTX model which is a "sit down" configuration.  They're all awesome!

Awesome!  I love the paint job on it.  Waiting for Baja to comment, also.  After admiring it for a while, it made me wonder if he is within he legal trailable length for recreational trailering in MA which I believe is 65'.  That thing is loooooong lol but just eyeing it (which really means @#$%@# lol) it looks like he's within the limit. 

But maybe sometime you can describe the difference between those two engine setups?  Only when you're completely bored and have nothing to do like coach a bunch of kids in all sorts of sports! lol.  I'm especially interested in this "sit down" configuration.

I believe this one is the 39 GTX (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure)  This boat would have staggered engines for better center of gravity.  Sit down means it has sit down, high back bolster seats rather than Standup bolsters like most go fast boats.  Not sure what engines are in it but my buddy's has the Supercharged, 600 hp Merc Racing units which is a 502 CID platform.  The old HP500 Merc was built on the 502 platform too but was naturally aspirated (not supercharged).  I would venture to guess that 39 has more than 600 hp.  Those things are fast!!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, MonkeySeaII said:

I believe this one is the 39 GTX (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure)  This boat would have staggered engines for better center of gravity.  Sit down means it has sit down, high back bolster seats rather than Standup bolsters like most go fast boats.  Not sure what engines are in it but my buddy's has the Supercharged, 600 hp Merc Racing units which is a 502 CID platform.  The old HP500 Merc was built on the 502 platform too but was naturally aspirated (not supercharged).  I would venture to guess that 39 has more than 600 hp.  Those things are fast!!

Very cool!  Yeah I was in one for a ride in Florida and it was lot of fun for the 20 minute ride we took.  Forget which boat it actually was but IIRC, it had more than 600HP. 

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:35 AM, Waterfun said:

So check this out, this spot is between 2 pretty well-known islands in our area of boating just outside of Salem Harbor and the irony, lol, is the bigger of the islands is called Great Misery Island lol not sure why but it's pretty cool and has the famous "Cocktail Cove" where we go a lot and the town has put out a few public moorings.

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=greater+and+lesser+miery+islands+salem+ma&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP 

The other island is Baker Isand (which is actually habitable with a couple of houses on it.  Kinda interesting if they are indeed houses for obvious reasons.  But my point is that this is a passageway that we take A LOT when cruising that area and when you follow the channel that takes your through them to go further north, there used to be one of these weird, man-made markers of some sort.  Don't pay attention to that boat that got grounded at low tide but that blocked tower was actually a marker right as you approached those two islands.

jEL50ZN.jpg

Now my son noticed a few months ago that it is no longer there and we were wondering what happened. Upon closer inspection, check it out:

hHizypQ.jpg?1

So obviously it got destroyed, either by one of our powerful nor'easters we get in the wintertime or a boat might've actually taken it out.  I tell ya, my son is awesome (and i;m not just saying that because he's my son....well, maybe a little LOL) but it's incredible how he noticed that from a distance and check out how they marked it as a hazard...with a pait of white buoys one on each side. 

Here's the problem, at high tide, you can't see any of those rocks/blocks above shore and it and without those two white buoy markers, you drive over it at 20mph and it will not only take out the entire bottom of your hull, but probably pull out your outdrive completely!  Talk about "misery" which was the irony I was referring to.  I hope at some point they mark is as a hazard with a pole and hazard sign if they decide not to rebuild it again.  But good looking out for him because even though I probably would've eventually seen it, it might've been too late  but what a dangerous piece of @#$%@#!

On 8/12/2019 at 7:21 AM, Hatem said:

pk0byvb.jpg

xnmtpf5.jpg

BJ96HaU.jpg  

When we were trailering our boat, he would also be at the ramp at the same time and when we were hauling the boat out, he and his (very hot GF) had a great system but get this, he would flush his motors at the top of the ramp!!!!!!!!  He would use the ramp/park water and the ramp is pretty big so he wasn't necessarily blocking anyone or inconveniencing anyone, but I was really surprised they allowed him to flush that thing and the ROAR those engines made for a good 15 minutes in what was not only a boating ramp, but a park was crazy loool.  But what a boat. I love those things but they're too gaddam loud for me.  @MonkeySeaII, is this the same one your buddy has?

Funny thing, just last week I had to start my boat in front of my house after replacing plugs and alternator. Woke everyone up. If given the chance to use ramp water hose I would, but they dont have them at any ramps we go to. 

21 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

Funny thing, just last week I had to start my boat in front of my house after replacing plugs and alternator. Woke everyone up. If given the chance to use ramp water hose I would, but they dont have them at any ramps we go to. 

I know, that's why I mentioned it.  I mean he has no shame at all using it.  I think he pulls the boat up onto the trailer, hot girlfriend drives the truck up the ramp while he checks around to be sure everything is ok and then she stops at the top with the end of the boat right at the end of the ramp where there's a faucet.  Not sure if he uses his own hoses (probably) and just sticks them in (I believe he has flushports he installed himself) and roars that thing there while the hot GF models around for everyone who is staring at this whole charade LOL!

The reason I ever talked to him was because I pulled my boat up the same time and he actually complemented our rig.  I said "yeah thanks, a bit shorter and not as loud as that thing" and then we started talking for a while and he showed me around then came over and checked out the 276 (not much in that thing compared to that boat LOOOLLOLOL!) but he loved the 8.1 and obviously how well taken care of it was just like his.  He did mention that there are many ties he wishes he was out there in something like the 276 because of all the space, swim platform and just the layout.  The GoFast is basically like a roller coater.  Seats with 5-pont safety belt attachments or something like that.

Then we see him in the water every one is a while and I try to drag race him and he smiles and just blows me away in his wake LMFAO! :D He's actually a great guy and believe it or not, he actually shies away from all the attention.  He says it actually bothers him and wish people weren't so fascinated by it and stare all the time.  I told him "are you sure they're staring at the rig and not her?"  I said it with a smile hoping for the right reaction and he laughed his assss off which was cool and honestly, I was relieved cause this guy works out! LOLO!  Yours truly is just a nerdy regular guy I wouldn't have stood a chance. :) 

BTW, your video is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too short.  We need to hear A LOT more of that rumble and some revving with more water spitting out of the exhausts (I love that part).  Great boat, though, and stay safe.  Thanks for posting that.  We have A LOT of GoFast on the ocean and I'll take more pics and post them if I don't get banned soon since it might just happen.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, Waterfun said:

BTW, just FYI, I might be getting banned off this forum and I just wanted to thank you so much for opening this AWESOME thread which BTW, you can rename it if you wish so it doesn't include my name and open it for every one, if you like.

I'm off gotta drop off one of the cars to the mechanic (need a transmission and antifreeze flush which I don't feel like doing myself) besides, I got the day off, brand new lures and leaders I need to put on my lines and rods and I'm headed out, baby!  Gotta leave an itinerary for the missus in case I go missing since I'm solo.  So if I do get banned, I bid you all adieu and thanks for everything.

Quick question for anyone out there, do you use the G3 Vision card on your Garmin GPS if you have and use Garmin?  If so, do you like it and any particular cool features you like about it.  The GPS thread I opened in the newbie section might get me banned so I figured I would ask that here and even if I get banned, I can see the answers.  Thanks again, Waterfun! :) 

2 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

why is it there always seems to be a guy who works out and a hot girl on every Go Fast Boat I see?!?!  

Because, the two go together.

Denny.