Waterfun

This is for Hatem

4 minutes ago, MonkeySeaII said:

why is it there always seems to be a guy who works out and a hot girl on every Go Fast Boat I see?!?!  

Monkey, you know my area well, and a little over a year ago, I ran into a guy that works the Aberdeen Proving Ground patrol, but lives over here on the eastern shore. A forum member actually works there now. But anyway, it would seem that Homeland Security came into some money after 9/11 and the Army ended up with some of it. They build high resolution camera platforms from Pooles island, northward to almost Havre de Grace. His comment was "These boys in their go fasts don't seem to understand that we now have long range night vision capability, and maybe they should mention that to their lady friends". Hey, it gets lonely and boring out there. W

18 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Monkey, you know my area well, and a little over a year ago, I ran into a guy that works the Aberdeen Proving Ground patrol, but lives over here on the eastern shore. A forum member actually works there now. But anyway, it would seem that Homeland Security came into some money after 9/11 and the Army ended up with some of it. They build high resolution camera platforms from Pooles island, northward to almost Havre de Grace. His comment was "These boys in their go fasts don't seem to understand that we now have long range night vision capability, and maybe they should mention that to their lady friends". Hey, it gets lonely and boring out there. W

ha ha, that's hilarious!!

33 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Look who's here!!  Nice to see that and I'm being very sincere about that.

BTW, next time I see him, I'll take a pic of her and post it!  Wait till you see this piece of artwork! lol  I bet you I could take a picture of her up close while she's even posing and he won't even mind it one bit! :D 

We did a MS run from Havasu to Pirates Cove this past weekend. best part about having a slick gofast is that you get invited to a lot of thing to hang out with the cool boats.......My fave is still the Chap. It may only do 50 but dang she does everything. 

I do love the speed. there is nothing like having 1000hp on tap. it crazy to feel the acceleration from 40-80 and the way they cut waves is amazing. 

Scariest thing is a stepped hull. at speed they do not turn and it take a good long time to slow down. took a high speed turn on the river and it under steered, I had t pull throttle and drop nose then it finally cut like a corvette. 

We have three props now, 28 30 and 32, the 32 will get you near the magic 100mph Hoping next year to run the Desert Storm run. 

28P turn it into a drag racer, and 83mph

30P will take you 87-90 depending on load and water

32P is still untested hoping for close to 100 using a new tune redline at 6500

I currently limit rpm to 5700 for longevity.

2 hours ago, Wingnut said:

All along the Niagara River and along Lake Erie every couple of miles are cameras. If one camera can't pick you up over the horizon the next one will. Be mindful of what your doing cuz "they" are looking and can see you. 

Just consider all the CCTV footage we see on the news with all these horrific events. You pretty much can't go anywhere with out a camera recording your actions. Despite our gov'ment looking at us I'd rather live here than say..China.....Iran....Russia.....can you say "North Korea?"

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 1:54 PM, TidalPotomac said:

Yes, our slip is directly next to the center of the channel of the river.  In the linked map below, we are in the the lower of the two covered piers on the end.  When approaching our slip, I make a near U-turn and aim the bow toward towards the pier (below the covered slip pier) or bow of a boat if one is docked on the end of the pier.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6744403,-77.2509611,18z/data=!3m1!1e3

I actually had a whole thing typed out for you earlier this morning before I headed out with just the wife this time looking for whales and doing some fishing but then I forgot to press "Submit Reply" and now looking at what I wrote doesn't make sense since we're back lol.

Basically what I wanted to tell you is because my U turning is working out great, even though I'm not lined up exactly to pull straight back into my slip but into the guy with the Whaler's slip which is ok.  I bump the throttle in revers a couple of times (don't forget I have a single duoprop no twins otherwise I would be Manfred Von Richthofen of backing boats by now).  So once I bump throttle back and forward and straighten out a couple of times, I'm finally lined up with my slip except here is the problem!  The finger dock is on portside and helm, of course, is on starboard so I can't judge how close I am to the dock to get close enough unless I have my son with me who is an ACE in guiding me in.

Here's the stud himself who's so tied up with his new landscaping busy he barely comes out with me or us, sucks!

Bb37e4Z.jpg

Today, with my wife, she's telling me "go left, no too much, go right, no too much come back I almost jumped into the water just so I didn't have to listen to that @#$%@# anymore!   And of course, rubrail took a little smack from the piling because of all this mishmash going on.  I even had one of the attendants came running down to help us out of the kindness of his heart but he blew it beyond belief!  What those marina kids do is tie off the lines onto cleats as soon as possible.  I told him after the whole disaster was over and we were ok that the best thing to do is pull the midship line and boat tight to the dock and that is it!  Then wait for me to come out and if he wanted to, grab the radar arch and pull the whole boat, it's really easy and I do it ALL THE TIME when I'm solo.  I practically drive the boat in and out of the slip holding the arch. But I digress.

What do you (or any others) suggest?  A mirror mounted on the top side of the windshield on the portside that I can snap on when docking and pull off when cruising since naturally I wouldn't want that stupid thing hanging out there all the time.  Or is there another solution besides "practice makes perfect"?  I can't leave the helm to take a look because then there goes the bow and the bow goes regardless!  Man is it irritating!  Need some good advice.

With the disaster that happened yesterday in the above post, I now officially know what a fish goes through when it gets hooked.  Too bad I panicked slightly because man that would've been a great set of pics showing a tuna-sized hook find it's way (barb and all) through my left pinky.  Couldn't pull it out, of course, so had to cut the skin with a razor to make room for the barb to slide out but man I should've taken pics of that!  I think I had a tetanus shot in 2016 but I'll  have to check. 

First time using that floating first aid kit and I couldn't believe all the stuff that comes in it.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:06 PM, Hatem said:

Today, with my wife, she's telling me "go left, no too much, go right, no too much come back / SNIP

What might work better is when a mate is calling out continuously the distance in feet between the agreed on section of a boat and the dock instead of second guessing where to go and how the boat will react. Six, five, four, three, two, three, two, two, one, one, touchdown - for example. Usually mate focuses on a section that is going to make a touchdown first - bow going forward, stern or swim platform in reverse, and gunwale when moving sideways using thrusters or joystick propulsion.

The distance called continuously together with operator's own visual on boat orientation, direction, and inertia makes maneuvering more instinctive. Otherwise operator tries to process the given command, assess whose right or left side it refers to, decide to follow or not the command that might or might not be correct for that given situation. Especially confusing when going in reverse. Too much to process and stressful for both sides.

This will be quite the post so heads up if you want to read it you'll know that. If not, don't bother. 

What a heII of a day today.  So I had decided to do this for a while now and while it probably wasn't very smart to trek this distance alone, it ended up that way since the person who was supposed to come with me had been working 12-14 hour days including Saturday and called me early to apologize and felt so badly that he just didn't have it in him to partake this extraordinary navigation.  I told him not to worry, it's perfectly ok.  So I put on my vest and I leave the slip, get out to the channel, swap sides for fenders and lines to gas up the half empty tank, everything went well until I went to pull the nozzle out, the crimped cable accidentally pulls my flagpole with flag on it and it falls right between the boat and the dock! LOL!  I watched it sink so fast with that heavy chrome or SS whatever it is.  But I'll drive there tomorrow with my big magnet and rope and I know exactly where it fell (4th cleat from the end) and I'm retrieving that sucker!  Not losing it, just hoped that wasn't a sign of the rest of the day to come.

Then leaving the gas dock with lines tucked away and fenders stored in ski locker, there was quite a bit of traffic waiting to get out of the no-wake zone to step on it.

XK0kbMv.jpg

Including my buddies with the floating living room.  Oh and there's that Carver in the background.

rnDP3Nq.jpg

So I get the maritime forecast and it was mostly foggy, light chop and slight wind from the east.  I was ok with that since Stellwagon Bank has been on my list of destinations this year and I wasn't going to miss it this time.  Made an exact itinerary of my course and left it for my wife.

Looking at the vast scope of nautical square mileage of the bank, we are actually fortunate that the closest distance to get to the north western edge of the bank is only a few miles longer than from the tip of Cape Cod.  Shows you how massive it is.  Took a look at my chart which I had studied many times before and set a course. I just wanted to get into the bank, but if you're looking for the real prime area, you have to get to right where it says Stellwagen Bank.  That's more of the flat plateau that is where you'll probably see a lot more marine life as the 100ft deep plateau is quite constant.  For some reason it brings a lot of marine life.  The rest consists of many ledges like Jeffrey's ledge and areas that are somewhat prohibited because of WWII and later years munition dumps which makes it forbidden to fish and especially drag nets etc.  What a vast area of open sea, quite intimidating.

Stellwagen-Bank.jpg

I tried to enlarge the map to give you guys a better view of the distance and location.  This is the best I can do with this pic so you can see I came out of Salem Sound (bottom left of pic and traveled a straight line towards where it reads "Gloucester basin."  I've been there by whale watching and charter boats but never solo.  I used my compass and heading extensively as I couldn't enlarge it enough on my 741xs to see it.

JMKSFYm.jpg?1

What made it more exciting, this is what I was dealing with visibility.

HtmSlkp.jpg

So I turned my radar on and put it on overlay since I prefer to see it that way when I'm closer to land.  Once out in the ocean I have no problem putting it straight on radar.  Then the fog slowly started burning off.

cvFl2NK.jpg

Nothing like the open sea with no land in sight for 360 degrees.

UrljfqH.jpg

And water that is about 240 feet deep.

kkX2I0U.jpg

What you don't see here is the heading I was trying to maintain was about 140 (and a funny story right around this spot in the GPS pic above) was I ran into a couple of guys fishing in a small, 20ft enclosed cabin.  So I slowed down and approached them just to see how far from there was the edge of the bank according to them even though I could probably see it on my charts.  One old grumpy basterd started waiving me to portside of their boat, so I noticed they were ball fishing.  So I stopped about 10 boat lengths away and yelled out how far to the edge of the bank.  The guy inside the pilot house had the nerve to ask me what was I headed out there for?  I was stunned, and in my usually well known vulgar manner I told him "listen, I'm just asking a question and it's none of your business what I do or don't do there, so either answer it or @#$^#^ off" I also said it with a smile.  The other dude who was really irritated with my presence and waived me to portside screamed at me "watch our line watch out line" a stupid orange ball floating that my bow was drifting towards and this assshat didn't remember that HE asked me to pass them on portside?  He screamed again "back up back up" so I yelled out really loud to him (let me tell you, this guy pisssed me off to no end) SHUT THE @#$^#^ UP!!!!  lol.  I calmly put it in neutral and let the boat even get a little closer before I backed up just to $%&# him off that little bit more all the time giving that prick a glaring stare, and smile.  All I wanted was a simple answer to a simple question lol.  So the guy in the pilot house gives me the hand motion to come closer.  I laughed and pulled bow straight about 4 boat-lengths away and stopped and he kept giving me the hand signal like approach, approach.  I told him "look, your buddy has a huge hair across his asss and it's coming out of his nose and I don't feel like getting gaffed or harpooned today and believe me, I can defend myself a lot quicker than you can think.  I think that woke them up quickly.  All I asked you was how close the bank was!  A simple question you could've pointed and yelled out a distance and that's it!  He puts his head to the side like really?

Just so you guys know, the movie "The Perfect Storm" paints a slightly false viewpoint of Gloucester fishermen and many on them in this area even down in Cape Cod. Even the guys in Florida complain about them.  So their real personalities are anything resembling the likability of George Clooney etc., quite the opposite. So after he put his head aside and I put my throttle to get going since they were obviously jerking me around, he points exactly at the same direction as my heading was and says "you got GPS right?"  I said yes of course so he says he points in a direction and says maintain 140 heading which is EXACTLY what I was at and said probably 15 miles.  I said thanks and he blabbered something like there's nothing out there you know, just stripped bass (so was that the problem, I thought?)  Not sure why they made such a big fuss out of something so harmless?  When they saw my rods sticking out the back of my SeaDogs then didn't want some guy in some fancy-looking boat getting their fish?  Is that what it was? 

L9TSPED.jpg

So as I'm leaving, dickwadd says "watch the line" and I gave him a dirty look" and I swear I was so close to telling him "hey, not only am I going to take out your little fancy orange floater with my outdrive, by the time you start that thing and chase me down, I doubt you'll get it up to half my speed and you'll watch me disappear in the horizon jabbing your orange ball with my dagger!" lol.  Of course I said "don't worry, I'll be sure to leave plenty of room." and went on my way.

15 minutes later, I look at my GPS and YES, really liked what I saw:

haCKXqY.jpg

Gzhzi29.jpg

The only boat I saw besides all the sailboats that showed up red on my radar was this guy.  Dragging his nets I stayed the heck away from him.

yAFPosN.jpg

Took about 50 minutes at 25-30 mph to get back and I was overall pretty happy with the entire adventure.  I threw a few casts in but for some reason was really not in the mood for fishing.  I think knowing I had gotten there and now have a pretty good idea of what it takes, saw some bubbles from some whales, the next time we'll bring the proper rigging (especially bait) to catch one of these guys sine they should be rolling trough here in large numbers by the end of this month through October.  Can't wait to see them light up on the fish finder.  Maybe  we'll get a mako or thresher shark since there are plenty of those out here. 

iStock_000049529276_Large.jpg

I also got the coordinates for where most of the whale breaching goes on, so that will be another trip for another day.  Just thought I'd share today's story with you folks before we hit the sack.

Once back at the marina, found a new resident with a 2004 Signature 240 ( I think it is) two slips away for the rest of the season.

gvqHWqM.jpg

On 8/1/2019 at 9:32 AM, Hatem said:

@Exoset, have you made it to Florida yet?  Can you update us on your trip and how was it like trailering that monster all the way from Canada to the Keys?

I just came back 2 days ago, took us 3 days and half to get there and 4 days to head back. When I arrived, the Marina had to change my slip because of an electrical problem.

They put me next to a Sailboat, I learned later that it was @Drew... this is a small world.

Other than that, I don't recommend going there during August, weather is better around June/July. We still enjoyed our 2 weeks though. Went a couple days/nights to KeyWest Looe Keys, etc. Usual spots. I wanted to test the boat before planing the Bahamas and it went very smoothly. The cabin is perfect for our needs, engines are A1, nothing bad to report.

I will plan my crossing from Miami to Bimini during the winter as I am finally ready and won't change the boat in the next 5 years at least ;)