Sign in to follow this  
Tuglife

Weird problem with sunesta radio shutting off

Hello all happy boating season!

2015 sunest 264

i have a weird problem where my radio shuts off and back on for no apparent reason. Radio will run fine for 30 mins then start shutting off and then turn it self on a few minutes later.

After the first shut down something even more unique happens during subsequent shutdowns - right before it shuts off the volume goes considerably higher for about 3 seconds then it shuts down.

this issue happens whether im at the dock and engine is off or if i am in gear at any speed. The batteries are brand new and fully charged. The same problem happened with last years batteries too.

it definitely seems like the head unit is shutting itself off to protect itself. I have made no modifications to the stock sound system.

i have read of this problem happening to cars and boats and many people say the unit is not properly grounded. I have not checked any wiring as of yet as i havent been able to figure out how to even get access to the wiring behind the head unit. The storage area in front of the helm seat is so small i cant crawl in there so not sure how this is serviced. Any thoughts?

Most head units come out from the front. I would down load the manual on it for any install instruction, 

Are there any wired remotes? If so, disconnect them, starting with the transom remote. A bad remote can make the head do weird things, and the transom remotes are usually the culprit. 

The long time to shut down does sound like a overheating problem. Check the main unit for a build up of " stuff "  from animals. Preventing good cooling.

Mine started doing something similar after installing a amp and sub. It cuts out randomly for a second or two, very annoying. No rhyme or reason to the cut offs. Some days, no problem at all, other days, it’s an every minute occurrence. I’ve checked everything, can’t seem to find the common denominator.

Update - i tried disconnecting the remote one at a time and problem still persists. 

Next step i am trying is to upload the latest firmware for the CMS2. 

all wiring connections seem to be ok and there is nothing surrounding or on the hideaway receiver unit that would make it overheat.

voltage output from batteries is 13.6.

I guess i will also try running it with only one speaker connected at a time as well.

i notice that the pattern seems to be it runs fine for about 20 mins then shuts down, then i turn it right back on again and it will shut down again in about 10 seconds and will keep doing that over and over. 

3 hours ago, Tuglife said:

Update - i tried disconnecting the remote one at a time and problem still persists. 

Next step i am trying is to upload the latest firmware for the CMS2. 

all wiring connections seem to be ok and there is nothing surrounding or on the hideaway receiver unit that would make it overheat.

voltage output from batteries is 13.6.

I guess i will also try running it with only one speaker connected at a time as well.

i notice that the pattern seems to be it runs fine for about 20 mins then shuts down, then i turn it right back on again and it will shut down again in about 10 seconds and will keep doing that over and over. 

When it happens, does the “head unit”/main LCD display go off/dark? The “head unit”/main LCD is nothing more than a remote. The important stuff is in the remotely mounted “black box”.

To me it sounds like a fuse is failing, a cover or something is bumping up against the reset button (or wiring harness) on the “black box” or a cover or something is too close to the “black box” and it’s overheating and going into thermal protect mode. 

Suggest the following:

- There’s a 15 amp in-line fuse within a few inches of the “black box”. Pull it, inspect and if good, install and reseat (or replace with new - it’s a blade style - about a buck).

- Locate the reset button, and make sure nothing is rubbing up against it. If nothing, depress and reset it for kicks. These sometimes get crumbs and corrosion in them.

- Make sure there are no covers, towels, etc. up against or over the “black box” restricting ventilation. It’s best to keep everything 12- inches away from all sides.

If all of the above is okay, pull a temporary hot to the “black box”. If the same problem, pull a temporary ground. If the same problem, the issue has been isolated to the “black box”.

Update - i watched the head unit display as it was shutting itself off and before it went off it said “wiring error”. The plot thickens.