Sign in to follow this  
BajaDriver

Oil Pressure, excellent but.............

Our 2006 5.7 GXi has amazing oil pressure but as we top out, it starts to drop from 60-70lbs, the needle starts to shake, but when you pull down from WOT to just below WOT it perk back up to 70+{

Do i need a new OP sending unit?

Is it over full? Windage from the crank hitting the oil will cause the oil to foam and the oil pump can't maintain desired pressure. Too thin of a viscosity will do the same thing on a Marine engine. W

What does it drop down to? Mine will also hover in the mid 60`s and then as the engine warms, and I assume the oil too, it will drop a little, generally drops about five psi or so. Because I have a new engine, I have not been able to go WOT yet. I cant exceed 4K rpm for a few more hours yet.

Oil is fresh it shakes as though the sensor is freaking out. Level is spot on. The gauge shows 50-60lbs, pull right off the WOT and it shoots straight up to 70lbs. I was thinking that maybe the sensor output isnt able to register that high of OP.  

High oil pressure used to mean a blockage or sludge on the pressure side ?

2 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

Oil is fresh it shakes as though the sensor is freaking out. Level is spot on. The gauge shows 50-60lbs, pull right off the WOT and it shoots straight up to 70lbs. I was thinking that maybe the sensor output isnt able to register that high of OP.  

Likely the sender. Only way to be 100% sure is to add a tee and install an analog gauge.  W