Sign in to follow this  
Youngz

Speedo stopped reading

My Speedo stopped reading.  Do I clean it out and if so how do I do that?  Perhaps just the transducer in the engine compartment ?

99% of the time you have some debris in the little speedo pinhole on the leading edge of the leg. Need a small wire to clean it out and sometimes a very small drill bit (only use your hands- NO DRILL) and simply slowly spin it into the hole to remove the pieces of wood jammed in there.

15 minutes ago, Dgiles said:

99% of the time you have some debris in the little speedo pinhole on the leading edge of the leg. Need a small wire to clean it out and sometimes a very small drill bit (only use your hands- NO DRILL) and simply slowly spin it into the hole to remove the pieces of wood jammed in there.

yup, that's how I do it.  Small drill bit

Transducer?  What kind of outdrive do you have? 

Are you getting water in your bilge? If so, it most likely the speedo tube has pulled off the barb (or it broke) where is goes through the transom. 

I’m sure I have terminology wrong:)

its a bravo 3 out drive with 350 mag mpi

where is the piece that I need to clean out located?

BTW, the pencil is too big to clear it out. Use a very small drill bit BY HAND or wire hanger.

In addition to using the drill bit, I also flush water through it until it runs clear.  Get a syringe filled with water (the kind with a thick plastic tip) and connect plastic tubing (same size as your speedometer tubing) to the end of it.  Then remove the speedometer tubing from the coupler (see the green circle in Tomnjo's photo above) and flush water down through the drive to push out any dirt that got farther up than a drill bit can reach.

No doubt the tube is plugged somewhere, very common.  You can also try back flushing or blowing into it from the speedometer end, and it also comes apart on the front of the drive with a little twist tab connection.  

Funny, I was going to post this same question today.  My speedo was acting funny yesterday.

Also though, my oil pressure gauge is stuck at 80 psi.  That just happened this week too.  Any ideas?