Sign in to follow this  
Raft-up

Lake Tahoe

Hey guys, going to Lake Tahoe and thinking about renting a boat for the day. Anyone have any experience or suggestions. Thanks. 

They have boat rentals at Tahoe Keyes on the south shore of Tahoe.  Then you can take a short ride into Emerald Bay and park on the beach at Vikings Home.  Watch your wake and speed in Emerald Bay, it is strictly enforced.  

Boat rentals also available on the North Shore.  

Tahoe is a gorgeous lake to boat on and is worth the experience.  

If you want to ski, make sure you dip your toe in the water first so you know what you’re getting into. When I was young I went waterskiing with some family friends in August, I jumped in the water for my turn just like I would in any Cali lake and it literally took my breath away. I sure wasn’t ready for that cold water, especially in August.  Also, prepare your wallet, boat rentals on Tahoe aren’t cheap. But man is it beautiful. 

Anyone going into the water for a swim "must" wear a life jacket coming off my boat.  That water is so cold it will take your breath away and you may accidentally in hale some water causing you to start choking.  No joke!!!!  It's a gorgeous lake with clarity to100 feet plus. But you don't want to ruin your vacation by not wearing a life jacket while playing or swimming in that water.  15 min max before hypothermia will kick in.  With our late winter and rivers and streams still flowing with snowmelt, that water will be 54 degrees on the surface and colder about 5 feet below the surface.