Hatem

What egine, temperature and most common cruising speed are you running?

5.0 MPI Alpha in my little 210 SS. 30 MPH @ 3000 RPMs unless I'm going upstream, then I need about 3200 RPMs. Just the two of us with my larger prop. Biggest load I ever had was seven people, ran 35 MPH at 3800 RPMs with my smaller prop. Both are 19s, one just has a little more slip, better for getting  larger loads out of the hole. Always 160 degrees. 

19 hours ago, Hatem said:

No worries!  I appreciate the info, believe me.  I only asked because through the years, I've seen many people mention they're running 170-175 on 160 thermostats and never, ever have any problems whatsoever.  So trying to judge if this thermostat degree setting is really crucial to abide by it or not.  But something tells me if your 160* thermostat opens at 159 or 160, your engine "should"....that being the operative word....stay right around 160 and if there is any fluctuation one way or the other, it should be minimal.

According to all the information I researched for the 5.7 Volvo, you need a 140* thermostat for fresh water and a 160* for salt water.  So once it opens, you would think your engine temperature shouldn't vary too much from that thermostat setting, right?

makes sense to me.  I would assume whatever temp it opens at would be relatively close to the temp I would expect to see my engine run at.  but you know what they say when you assume....

Idle=  140 degF

Anything above idle one needle width either side of the 150 mark regardless of engine speed (as long as I'm above idle) and water temp.  

Typically cruise around 2800-3400 depending on conditions.  Speed is dependent on which prop and i really don't pay much attention to speed, try to match speed to conditions 

I go by what it has always shown,  no idea what the actual temp is compared to my 27 year old mechanical gauge and sender.

14 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Saltwater is about 220 times saltier than fresh water running into it...……….Then why do you want to cook the salts to the hotter 160 F  engine surfaces ???????????

In Chaparral's case, they don't really know if you're running in fresh or salt water and actually, their boats are essentially built as lake boats, or were at some point not in the far distant past.  With the exception of their cruisers line, their boats were built to be lake boats so they had no idea if you would use it in salt but they should be interchangeable.

I  use 140 F on everything.

Even if your engine calls for a 160* thermostat?  Not good for an engine to run cooler than it should.  Hard to believe, but that's actually a bad thing.

Oh I get it.  EPA authorizes hotter engines for lower emissions. Under water ?  

Really?  Is that the reason?  I thought it was strictly for engine efficiency.

Thanks @Curt @tomnjo @summerx @StrykeKing and @Dennis A.  Certainly noticing a common pattern developing for sure. 

And so far, most of the info has been on 5.7s, 5.0s, 8.1s, a 6.2 which is definitely a uniquely sized engine as well as StrykeKing's 7.4L.  Between those two, there's hardly any difference and noticing that majority are sing 160* thermostats with the occasional 140*, but the common denominator seems to be the RPM/speed averaging right around 3,200 and in the mid-20s MPH.

And also it's not uncommon to see temperature fluctuations of at least 5 degrees.  Still doesn't explain the 15* difference I was getting, especially when the 3 previous years it barely left the 160 no matter what RPM or speed or water temperature.

57 minutes ago, Hatem said:

And so far, most of the info has been on 5.7s, 5.0s, 8.1s, a 6.2 which is definitely a uniquely sized engine as well as StrykeKing's 7.4L. 

Not nitpicking, but the 5.3 is represented as well. Overall, a good cross section of engines. And, a mix of non-catalyzed/catalyzed.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not nitpicking, but the 5.3 is represented as well. Overall, a good cross section of engines. And, a mix of non-catalyzed/catalyzed.

4.3 from me too

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Nitpick all you want, my bro.  The more accurate info we have the better understanding we can conclude from the data.

1 hour ago, Dennis A said:

4.3 from me too

Indeed, I missed that assuming it was a 4.3.  Need to pay more attention to detail.  Hopefully more will chime in as the more the merrier and we can isolate some oddities.

5 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Indeed, I missed that assuming it was a 4.3.  Need to pay more attention to detail.  Hopefully more will chime in as the more the merrier and we can isolate some oddities.

Actually, both the 4.3 and 5.3 are represented in the survey (the 5.3 is not a typo, but I missed Denny’s 4.3, my bad).

The current Volvo Penta offering no longer includes the 5.7. The Generation V engines with models beginning V8-300/V8-350 __-__, which are comparable in horsepower to the venerable 5.7’s, are 5.3’s.

46 minutes ago, Curt said:

Actually, both the 4.3 and 5.3 are represented in the survey (the 5.3 is not a typo, but I missed Denny’s 4.3, my bad).

The current Volvo Penta offering no longer includes the 5.7. The Generation V engines with models beginning V8-300/V8-350 __-__, which are comparable in horsepower to the venerable 5.7’s, are 5.3’s.

I've been reading quite bit about these new Gen 5 Volvos and while they're more efficient to some degree to their larger counterparts, they're actually not short on HP, either.The same can be said about Mercury as well. The technology is improving at a phenomenal pace.

@delaney, curious about your numbers with a pair of VP 8.1s.

And @Wingnut, how about some info on your 496HO, particularly RPM and temperature. 

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:51 PM, Curt said:

5.3 is unusual, right?  So is Dennis' 4.3LX

- So far we have 5.0 MPI one of the most common engines

- So is the 5/7 early and Gen V like yours

- 7.4L which is awesome and unique

- Would be good to get the info on the 496HO.  Maybe some of the fella with that engine will eventually chime in when they feel like it.

And eventually we'll be able to take all the data and compare the temperature fluctuations with all the  different motors and see if there I a community and more importantly that it s not an issue or potential problem.

11 minutes ago, Hatem said:

5.3 is unusual, right?  So is Dennis' 4.3LX

- So far we have 5.0 MPI one of the most common engines

- So is the 5/7 early and Gen V like yours

- 7.4L which is awesome and unique

- Would be good to get the info on the 496HO.  Maybe some of the fella with that engine will eventually chime in when they feel like it.

And eventually we'll be able to take all the data and compare the temperature fluctuations with all the  different motors and see if there I a community and more importantly that it s not an issue or potential problem.

Nope, neither the 4.3 or 5.3 are unusual.

The 4.3 has been around in various forms for a long time. 

The 5.3 is Volvo Penta’s current 300 and 350 horsepower option, and is one of the Generation V motors. It replaced the venerable 5.7 a few years back.

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Nope, neither the 4.3 or 5.3 are unusual.

The 4.3 has been around in various forms for a long time. 

The 5.3 is Volvo Penta’s current 300 and 350 horsepower option, and is one of the Generation V motors. It replaced the venerable 5.7 a few years back.

Interesting.  Doesn't seem like you hear of the 5.3 as much but it makes sense if it's replacing the 5.7.  Almost like you hear of the 4.2 a lot more than the 4.3.

Still hoping for some more info and numbers, especially on the 496HO and what temperatures it sees for the most part.

I actually didn't realize VP was using the 5.3 for their 300-350HP engines. I knew they were using the 6.2. I went to their website and also see they are getting 280HP out of the top of the line 4.3 liter V-6. I have a new generation 4.3 in my work van and it is rated at 275HP and it does better than expected. That's quite a jump from the old 190 to 225HP last generation 4.3.

HG, 4.2? You got me on that one....   GM had the 4.2 straight six in the Trailblazers but have never heard of a marine 4.2.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:55 AM, Hatem said:

Anyone who wishes to list the 3 above for their boats would be great.  I'd like to do a comparison, even if your engine is different than mine it doesn't matter.  It'll still be good to see the relationship between all three and find a common pattern if one exists.

The reason I'm asking is that for the last 4 years, these were my numbers.

Volvo 8.1

158-162 mostly 160 almost all the time

17-22 mph.

The last two times we've been out this year, my temperature (with a brand new impeller) has fluctuated very strangely.  The variation is from 153 to 167.  The last 4 years I've never seen it move beyond a low of 158 and a high of 162.  A 4 degrees variation only.  Now I'm looking at a variation difference of 15 degrees?!?!?!   Worries me a bit also that I'm seeing 167 and a couple of times I see 168 which I have never seen before.  Some might think that's nothing and they run higher temps on 160 degree thermostats,  but it's very different than what I've had going on for the last 4 years.  So if you're interested in posting your numbers, do so that way we can all compare and see. The more the better. 

2000 ,245 SSI 7.4 mpi 

Mine runs between 160 -165 , 28 to 32 mph. Love my chappy

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:07 PM, Morganrwmj said:

2000 ,245 SSI 7.4 mpi 

Mine runs between 160 -165 , 28 to 32 mph. Love my chappy

7.4 MPI, very cool.  Definitely seeing a developing, common pattern within the varying scope of engine sizes.

When you see 165 degrees, is that after a long run at higher RPMs and you've just slowed down or stopped?  Or is it during the 28-32 mph cruising?  Would be great to know if it's the running temperature or when you come off running and the coolant circulation is not as much.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:54 PM, tomnjo said:

I actually didn't realize VP was using the 5.3 for their 300-350HP engines. I knew they were using the 6.2. I went to their website and also see they are getting 280HP out of the top of the line 4.3 liter V-6. I have a new generation 4.3 in my work van and it is rated at 275HP and it does better than expected. That's quite a jump from the old 190 to 225HP last generation 4.3.

I'd say VP's most common engine is the 5.7 liter in all its variations.  At least that's the impression I get and they do a great job getting a lot of HP out of lesser cubic inches.

HG, 4.2? You got me on that one....   GM had the 4.2 straight six in the Trailblazers but have never heard of a marine 4.2.

I believe it's a Mercruiser. 

Got visited by the USCGAUX in my slip yesterday who asked me if I was interested in getting a safety inspection so that I avoid getting boarded by the USCG and he couldn't have been a nicer guy!!!!  I mean, this guy was soooo awesome that the two items I failed at he told me to take a picture of the them and text them to him and he'll correct the record and I should be all set.  Loved that I had everything in working order, he even pulled off the Fireboy fire extinguisher and checked the date (they have a date on the bottom of the canister mine said 10 which meant 2010 same as the year of the boat) and they're allowed 12 years from that date so they're good to 2022.  He complimented the how clean the bilge and motor were and said it was one of very few clean ones he's seen.  I even took a picture of him and he was more than happy to have that done.  Gave me my slip and he was on his way.  15 minutes tops.

jOYu5wy.jpg

Then I went out solo to see how this temperature thing is behaving and to see if I could find that great white shark.  No luck with that but it was really choppy and windy and wasn't much fun.  Made it short and got back to the marina.

KN5hgiW.jpg

esSTlim.jpg

That's choppy???  You would not last 10 minutes on my lake....

Also work on line management..Don't leave it on the sun pad.

Yes, I am anal about line management...It needs to be out of the way and ready when needed..And not easily kicked into the prop..

Ah, diesel. I forget about that in boats. Don't come into contact with those that often. Lots of big yachts on the river here probably have them.

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

That's choppy???  You would not last 10 minutes on my lake....

Also work on line management..Don't leave it on the sun pad.

Yes, I am anal about line management...It needs to be out of the way and ready when needed..And not easily kicked into the prop..

LMFAO!!! 

I wasn't thinking of the diesel that Dennis pointed out.  I thought there was a 4.2 as well as a 4.3 with the latter being much more common one but I guess I was wrong.

Had some much better temp readings in all RPM and speed ranges today.  Waters were much calmer and I ran 4200RPM at 37mph for about 3 minutes or so. It gets tough to sustain  it with so many boats leaving huge wakes on top of temperamental chop. But we had a few clearings for it and the real twist was at some point around 3,000 RPM I was getting temps fluctuating between 153 and 158.   But it never reached 167 like that first time even coming off a hot run, it would get up to 164 maybe a couple of times 165 for a very short period and then cool right back down to 158-160.  Got some great photos and videos but probably won't post them.  I'll get to the bottom of this strange temp fluctuation. 

10 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I wasn't thinking of the diesel that Dennis pointed out.  I thought there was a 4.2 as well as a 4.3 with the latter being much more common one but I guess I was wrong.

Had some much better temp readings in all RPM and speed ranges today.  Waters were much calmer and I ran 4200RPM at 37mph for about 3 minutes or so. It gets tough to sustain  it with so many boats leaving huge wakes on top of temperamental chop. But we had a few clearings for it and the real twist was at some point around 3,000 RPM I was getting temps fluctuating between 153 and 158.   But it never reached 167 like that first time even coming off a hot run, it would get up to 164 maybe a couple of times 165 for a very short period and then cool right back down to 158-160.  Got some great photos and videos but probably won't post them.  I'll get to the bottom of this strange temp fluctuation. 

I was going to mention your lines, too. Why do you have a red one?  :scratchchin: Maybe that's the port side line and you have a green one for starboard?  :haha-7383:

9 hours ago, tomnjo said:

I was going to mention your lines, too. Why do you have a red one?  :scratchchin: Maybe that's the port side line and you have a green one for starboard?  :haha-7383:

:)  I have red and black lines.  Mostly use the black on the dock side to tie off and occasionally I'll use an extra red one at the bow like in the pic when it's really windy at the marina, and it was really windy on Saturday and I was by myself.  Made docking very hairy. 

My next test will be to WOT.  Really tough to do that in the ocean, though.  Saturday we had constant 3-footers (obviously hard to tell from just the one pic of the stern shot) as I was out solo and with the 276's size, you really feel the pounding if you go too fast in that kinda rough.  But I'd like to see not only how the temperature reacts and (I already know it's producing its designated RPM range so that's a good thing), but I'd like to find out what is my top speed and RPM are since I've never actually taken it to that.  Always been afraid of losing control in rough water.

Speaking of red, I'm also thinking of adding some color to the boat at some point.  I'd like to paint the radar arch a different color than white and maybe add some silver & red lines on the black hull.  Not sure yet.