Sign in to follow this  
WaterDR

Beep when starting

A constant beep or just a chirp? Typically the alarm sounds when you turn the key to let you know it is working and due to no oil pressure. Probably normal but "I have a beep" does not give us much to go on.  They all beep. 

I get the everything is working beep.  But then I get a long beep after it starts.  The beep stops.

i think it might be low battery 

What voltage should a battery read?  I am running in the low 12s, but shows high 13s when running.

seems a little low.

I don't think the alarm has anything to do with the batteries... Maybe an oil sensor going bad or low oil pressure.. How long does it take for the alarm to stop after the engine is running??

Sounds normal to me..... The alarm should stop as soon as the engine is running and builds oil pressure..Watch your Oil Pressure gauge next time you start it. The alarm should stop when the needle swings up.

It's normal, I get one beep when I start mine up.  Be concerned if it continues.  There are several posts on this forum and someone attached a list of the beeps/error codes associated with them. 

Knowing you make and engine would help. Current Merc protocol is a constant beep for 3 seconds as soon as key is turned on. When it stops, then the Guardian Monitoring System has initialized and fuel pressure is established, and operator is cleared to turn the key into the crank position, but should hear no more beeps. If you have not heard this in the past, your Piezoelectric buzzer may have been hung up and is now working properly. They are a cheap little buzzer that hangs by it's wires off of the helm station wiring harness. You would think that this critical component would be something more substantial but it is what it is. When I replace them, I install a pair in place of the failed unit to double the owners chances of having one work when he needs it.  Five of the things cost 8 bucks on Amazon.   W

GFORTUN 5PCS Electronic Buzzer Alarm Active Piezo DC 3-24V Continuous Sound Black ABS Housing

My 240 Sig beeps a constant tone the whole time the key is turned halfway (which means I can't hear the fuel pump), but it stops as soon as the engine starts. It has always done that for the year I've had this boat.

just to be clear.  When the key is turned to the first position, I get a test beep.  It has always done that. This is not what I am talking about.

When I start the motor, I get a long beep.  Maybe three seconds and it stops.

it seems to correlate with battery voltage.  I have a digital meter on the dash.

Boat is a 2002 Sunesta with a 350

2 hours ago, summerpenguin said:

My 240 Sig beeps a constant tone the whole time the key is turned halfway (which means I can't hear the fuel pump), but it stops as soon as the engine starts. It has always done that for the year I've had this boat.

yes, the older vintage monitors did exactly that. New Smart Craft does not.

Low battery voltage will give the ECM fits while cranking so you may be right with your weak battery assumption. W

WaterDR, you are right cause last week when my battery blew a golf ball size hole out the top if it, mine did what you are saying.  It was the low voltage warning sensor.

Checked on it tonight....started with no beep.  Hooked up a charger for good measure.  But ran the boat last night for about 12 miles.  So should be charged anyway.

tester showed batteries at 95%.

i have another theory.....

we had heavy $^& rains a few days ago.  I think the bolder pump may have gotten stuck running and then stopped.  Then when the bulge levels came back up, it didn’t come on due to a problem with the float.

When I checked the bilge the water was up over the pump and up to the what appears to be a separate level sensor.

i wonder if the beep was due to bilge water level.

Anyway, I need a new bilge float switch for sure.  It will works manually but doesn’t seem to work on its own.

i am gonna pull it out and inspect.

yes...chasing theories