Washed and waxed my boat for the 1st time.

Much harder and longer than doing my truck lol.

Had the boat for a couple months and figured it was time to wash and wax him. Used starbrite instant hull cleaner on the yellow under the boat. Then used meguiars boat wash for the wash and used alot of elbow grease and meguiars cleaner wax for light oxidation and finished with meguiars flagship marine wax. 

Things I learned about this process. 

1. White fenders on a black hull leave lots of Mark's. Wasn't able to get them all out but with a DA polisher I will be able to. 

2. I could tell a difference between just the cleaner wax, and then applying the flagship marine wax. 

3. Alot more scratches than I thought and may need a more abrasive polish to get them.

4. Water spots are harder to get out in gelcoat than clear coat on a car or truck.

This was my first time washing a boat and the whole process took about 3.5 hours for the exterior. 

Cant wait to get better and faster and use better products. But meguiars has always done me well on my truck and cars so figured that was a good starting point.

All the pictures I took are to large so I will have to upload them on photobucket and post them here later 

20190627_201158_zpsjvrl6ltr.jpg

20190627_195620_zpsxieundi2.jpg

20190627_195519_zpserch6ofq.jpg

20190627_194029_zpsa8rmvyib.jpg

12 hours ago, Ianwelch001 said:

Much harder and longer than doing my truck lol.

Had the boat for a couple months and figured it was time to wash and wax him. Used starbrite instant hull cleaner on the yellow under the boat. Then used meguiars boat wash for the wash and used alot of elbow grease and meguiars cleaner wax for light oxidation and finished with meguiars flagship marine wax. 

Things I learned about this process. 

1. White fenders on a black hull leave lots of Mark's. Wasn't able to get them all out but with a DA polisher I will be able to. 

2. I could tell a difference between just the cleaner wax, and then applying the flagship marine wax. 

3. Alot more scratches than I thought and may need a more abrasive polish to get them.

4. Water spots are harder to get out in gelcoat than clear coat on a car or truck.

This was my first time washing a boat and the whole process took about 3.5 hours for the exterior. 

Cant wait to get better and faster and use better products. But meguiars has always done me well on my truck and cars so figured that was a good starting point.

All the pictures I took are to large so I will have to upload them on photobucket and post them here later 

Very cool, thanks for sharing your experience with us.  I have a black hull and find out that when I hose it down really well after every outing, it stays nice and shiny all the time and reduces your need to go through a heavy process to clean and polish it.  Also try not to tie the boat too tight so the it's always bumping and rubbing up against the fenders. Looses the lines a bit and if you can tie off even just the bow to the other side, that will keep most of the hull off the fenders completely.  Someone suggested to buy covers for the fenders and that's what I did and it helps, but they got tore to @#$%@# and I threw them out and  not using them this year because they are expensive as @#$^#^!  But either way, they shouldn't be leaving marks like you're describing.  Definitely post the pics when you can, let's see how good a job you did! :D 

1 hour ago, brclark82 said:

Get some fabric covers for your fender

That's the ticket to avoid many small scratches. It's surprising how those seams on the fenders can dig into the gel coat. 

I agree on the fender covers.  My black hull had sustained some nasty rash in years past from the fenders until I added fleece covers.  A few years ago I was rafted up to a friend and his white fender scratched my hull so bad I had to wet sand it to get them out!!  

9 hours ago, Ianwelch001 said:

Pictures in first post

Nice job.  Look at that gleaming black it's almost like a mirror.  I not only boat in salt water but slip it in salt water all season and my black looks better than my white lmfao.  Next spring I'll be doing all the white and topside.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Nice job.  Look at that gleaming black it's almost like a mirror.  I not only boat in salt water but slip it in salt water all season and my black looks better than my white lmfao.  Next spring I'll be doing all the white and topside.

I have the same thing.  My white topsides get more dull than my black!  I compounded it last Fall prior to putting it away and it brought the shine back to the white.  But the sun beats the heck out of it!

• 1 year later...