Quag

2013 206 SSI-getting to top end

Folks, I had posted in a previous thread, but had a lot of different noise in it, so starting a new one looking for some suggestions.

Purchased a 2013 206 SSI with a Volvo 4.3Gi.  Worked out a few bugs last year including fuel pump replacement.  Engine running good now. (had my mechanic put on a dyno and it checks out 4500 rpm and 3125psi)  Good hole shot and cruises well.  However as I understand as advertised I should be approaching a top speed of 50mph.  Right now only getting to 41 (GPS) with light load on calm water.  I got this from my 3 liter on my previous boat.  I know I have a bit of extra weight with a Monster tower on it, but still would think I would be above 45.   I am running a 19 pitch Michigan Wheel aluminum prop 14.5inches.  I prefer Al since I run in the rivers quite a bit and we see debris.  Have been told stainless would give more performance, but would I really see that big a jump?

Have been considering going to a 21p and putting Smart Tabs on.  However I'm not sure it would still give me the hole shot I  like.  Like some thoughts on getting to the advertised top end on this boat.  Thanks.

I am sorry but i am no help to answer your question but I have a question for you.  We are planning to buy a 2013 206 SSi and I wanted to see your opinion on how well it performs for wakeboarding.  The boat has all of the standard original equipment.  This is our first boat purchase and the owners have taken really good care of it.  We drove the boat and it seems great but we weren't able to wakeboard as the family has young children size gear and we have teenagers.  My son likes to wakeboard.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Neffster said:

I am sorry but i am no help to answer your question but I have a question for you.  We are planning to buy a 2013 206 SSi and I wanted to see your opinion on how well it performs for wakeboarding.  The boat has all of the standard original equipment.  This is our first boat purchase and the owners have taken really good care of it.  We drove the boat and it seems great but we weren't able to wakeboard as the family has young children size gear and we have teenagers.  My son likes to wakeboard.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Sure.  First off I have the standard base motor, the Volvo 4.3 Gi. (200HP).  I wouldn't have minded 5.0l but for most of what we do, this has been a good all arounder.  (and good on gas)  The rest of the boat is upgraded as it has GPS, table and some very nice features.  Both of my kids (in their 20s) wake board just fine and love this boat.  It is not a wake board boat and does not have a huge wake, but no issues for them.  It is a good all around boat and have had no issue with the hole shot for water sports.  If I have a large group I do switch the prop out for a 17 pitch as that helps, but mostly run a 19p.  Also note by the pic we have a Monster tower and that certainly helps getting wake boarders and skiers out of the water.    To be honest my previous boat was a 1996 Chaparral 1830ss with a 3 liter carb motor.  I had no problem pulling wake boarders with that.  My son could slalom behind it too, but not a great boat for that. 

It is comfortable for what we use it for, and note I did not want to go much bigger as we use often and trailer everywhere.  As you can see I do have some questions on getting to the "advertised" top end on this boat, but it does cruise nicely in the mid 30's loaded.  Just would like to see it get to it's full potential. 

You may want to post what the set up is, Engine, Prop, pic if you have.  Good luck  

You need to accept that you will not get 50 mph and maximum hole shot from a 200 hp  4.3 in a 20' boat pulling water people up.  My 2002 186 SSI with a 5.0 V8 at 220 hp NEEDS & uses 2 very different sized props for 50 gps OR tearing arms off of 4  220 pound skiers on pull up

I only do 45 mph with the skier prop.

6 hours ago, Quag said:

Sure.  First off I have the standard base motor, the Volvo 4.3 Gi. (200HP).  I wouldn't have minded 5.0l but for most of what we do, this has been a good all arounder.  (and good on gas)  The rest of the boat is upgraded as it has GPS, table and some very nice features.  Both of my kids (in their 20s) wake board just fine and love this boat.  It is not a wake board boat and does not have a huge wake, but no issues for them.  It is a good all around boat and have had no issue with the hole shot for water sports.  If I have a large group I do switch the prop out for a 17 pitch as that helps, but mostly run a 19p.  Also note by the pic we have a Monster tower and that certainly helps getting wake boarders and skiers out of the water.    To be honest my previous boat was a 1996 Chaparral 1830ss with a 3 liter carb motor.  I had no problem pulling wake boarders with that.  My son could slalom behind it too, but not a great boat for that. 

It is comfortable for what we use it for, and note I did not want to go much bigger as we use often and trailer everywhere.  As you can see I do have some questions on getting to the "advertised" top end on this boat, but it does cruise nicely in the mid 30's loaded.  Just would like to see it get to it's full potential. 

You may want to post what the set up is, Engine, Prop, pic if you have.  Good luck  

Thank you so much!  You are a huge help.  I hope you figure out how to get the speeds you want from your boat.  My husband said the seller of our boat has reached speeds of 50mph under ideal conditions with the boat we are buying.  I don't have all of the paperwork and specs yet but I attached a couple of pictures from the ad.  Based on your feedback I think the boat will be a good fit for our family.  We mostly will be cruising and hanging out in the boat and lake but want the ability to wakeboard periodically.

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

8 hours ago, Neffster said:

Thank you so much!  You are a huge help.  I hope you figure out how to get the speeds you want from your boat.  My husband said the seller of our boat has reached speeds of 50mph under ideal conditions with the boat we are buying.  I don't have all of the paperwork and specs yet but I attached a couple of pictures from the ad.  Based on your feedback I think the boat will be a good fit for our family.  We mostly will be cruising and hanging out in the boat and lake but want the ability to wakeboard periodically.

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6360.JPG

looks clean.  Good luck

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

You need to accept that you will not get 50 mph and maximum hole shot from a 200 hp  4.3 in a 20' boat pulling water people up.  My 2002 186 SSI with a 5.0 V8 at 220 hp NEEDS & uses 2 very different sized props for 50 gps OR tearing arms off of 4  220 pound skiers on pull up

I only do 45 mph with the skier prop.

I do get that, and don't mind switch props when the situation calls.  But lightly loaded (me by myself or with my wife) I would think I would at least hit 45 with 19 pitch.  

Your 206 SSI left the factory with a stainless prop probably a 17 pitch your post says you are only getting 4500 rpm at WOT you not getting full rpm with the 19 pitch if you go with a 21 pitch your WOT rpm will drop. if there is a local chap dealer near you they will be able to take your hull number and tell you what pitch prop came with you boat. My 216 SSI came  with a 17 pitch but my engine is the 300 hp it will turn 5000 rpm at WOT. I think your WOT rpm range is 4600-4800 rpm your dealer can help with that number also. Need to get the boat in the speced WOT throttle range for maximum speed and hole shot I would go with a stainless prop if you are wanting the highest performance possible.

It was a dealers responsibility to pick the prop very often.   Many years & makes.

Rpm is not all important...…… Percentage of prop slippage can be HUGE.

I put a 17 pitch on usually with a loaded boat and doing water sports.  Great hole shot, hits in the 4600-4800 RPM range, but top end drops to like 35.  I don't mind that when doing water sports, but if that is the factory pitch, not sure how you are ever getting to anywhere near 50mph.  I get stainless is better, but really going to give me 15mph more?  I don't thing so.

Only reason I am running aluminum is I spend a lot of time in the rivers and then can get a lot of debris.  It's a precaution many of us use to protect our outdrives. 

On 7/19/2019 at 1:04 PM, SG Boater said:

Have you verified speed with a GPS?  35 sounds pretty low for that setup with those RPM's.

Have built in GPS/Garmen.  That is what I use for speed and yes I thought the same, that is why all the questions from .  

Regarding trim, yes, trimming it up.  Have fooled around a bit without going to high.  Really only getting another 1/2mph.  

Still looking for thoughts on this. 

My 220SSi runs 5mph slower @ WOT with the wakeboard tower. Between the tower, boards and racks, speakers, bimini and mirror adds up to a lot of windage.

I doubt trim can kill 15 mph. But a filthy bottom could kill that much on GPS & 4600 rpm.  Add too many big people in ?

I found two things out when having similar questions about performance last year on a 09 216 5.0 carb, 130 hours.  

1.  Plugs needed changed.  No typical signs of underperforming plugs, at least to me.  My Merc. mechanic even said they boat was performing as it should and a plug change wasn’t necessary.  But he doesn’t operate it and I knew it was off.  I insisted on the plug change and it blew my mind the difference.   There wasn’t any missing or hard starting.  Smooth acceleration.  But hole shot was suffering as well as wot.  Felt like it was new again.  

2.  I always knew a dirty bottom affected performance but underestimated how much.  I wet slip so the hull gets very dirty.  As the season goes on,  performance definitely drops off.  I estimate 5-7 mph at wot from the beginning to the end of the season.  

Don't worry about not hitting the 50 mph mark.  It does nothing but burns a lot of fuel.  I like to cruise at 3000 rpm.  It's a good cruising speed and very economic.  Am I cheap, not really, but when I go WOT, i always ask myself after, "why did I just burn all that fuel up?"  

Your boat looks like it's in great condition.  Are you just bummed because you can't get to the 45 mph mark?  If you take the tower off and empty the boat out and just run with 20 gallons of fuel, you should get close.  

Good luck....i like your boat.  

I do a WOT run once a season just to make sure I get the RPM's I need and identify any issue that may be developing.... I'm never in a hurry on the lake. 

14 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I do a WOT run once a season just to make sure I get the RPM's I need and identify any issue that may be developing.... I'm never in a hurry on the lake. 

+1, for me it's a quick blast after any extended voyage, just before I put her away. It's like putting the engine on a Dyno and 30 seconds can tell a story as to state of tune and general health of the mechanical's. If she will bounce off of 5 grand, then I can put her away with confidence that she is ready for the next outing.  W

On 8/13/2019 at 10:34 AM, dan02gt said:

It sounds like you have a lot of slip.  What is the ratio of your outdrive?

On 8/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, cyclops2 said:

I doubt trim can kill 15 mph. But a filthy bottom could kill that much on GPS & 4600 rpm.  Add too many big people in ?

Bottom clean and waxed.  I trailer.  GPS yes.  Hitting about 4300 RPM with a 14.5 inch 19p Michigan Wheel aluminum prop.  Just me in the boat calm water, tops at 40mph

On 8/13/2019 at 2:34 PM, brick said:

My 220SSi runs 5mph slower @ WOT with the wakeboard tower. Between the tower, boards and racks, speakers, bimini and mirror adds up to a lot of windage.

That makes sense, and I expect some fall off, was thinking more of the weight, but yes wind drag, just didn't expect 10mph fall off. 

On 8/14/2019 at 2:34 PM, bhutch said:

I found two things out when having similar questions about performance last year on a 09 216 5.0 carb, 130 hours.  

1.  Plugs needed changed.  No typical signs of underperforming plugs, at least to me.  My Merc. mechanic even said they boat was performing as it should and a plug change wasn’t necessary.  But he doesn’t operate it and I knew it was off.  I insisted on the plug change and it blew my mind the difference.   There wasn’t any missing or hard starting.  Smooth acceleration.  But hole shot was suffering as well as wot.  Felt like it was new again.  

2.  I always knew a dirty bottom affected performance but underestimated how much.  I wet slip so the hull gets very dirty.  As the season goes on,  performance definitely drops off.  I estimate 5-7 mph at wot from the beginning to the end of the season.  

OK, thanks, need to consider plugs.