Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Newbies, do you use your GPS to its fullest?

No, no worries on more photos. I just want to hear that you got it working. It’s a great feature. 

I may have misspoke about the Deutsch connectors. Whatever they are, it seems you’re plugging the VODIA into the source of engine information. I don’t have Volvo so I don’t know what is available. Sounded like you had that solved. 

In my case, I didn’t have a junction box at the helm, so I ran a cable from the diagnostics port on top of the engine, up the side of the boat to the helm. I then added a junction box and moved the terminator from the port on the engine to one of the ports on the junction box. From there, I plugged in the VesselView which acts as the gateway. There is a N2K port on the VesselView which I ran to the backbone. There is another run from the chart plotter to the backbone. And wallah!

Little more involved than you’re doing which is great. If I had the junction box at the helm already, that would be more in line with what you are doing. Substitute VOIDA for VesselView in my case. However, in my case the VV displays everything and is awesome. But I do not have Bluetooth capability like you will. I can install a VesselView Mobile to one of the other junction box ports if I want that. But of course I’m selling the boat. :)

10 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

In my case, I didn’t have a junction box at the helm, so I ran a cable from the diagnostics port on top of the engine, up the side of the boat to the helm. I then added a junction box and moved the terminator from the port on the engine to one of the ports on the junction box. From there, I plugged in the VesselView which acts as the gateway. There is a N2K port on the VesselView which I ran to the backbone. There is another run from the chart plotter to the backbone. And wallah!

Do you have a picture of these links & ports you used at the engine harness?  I'm just curious because I knew when I was told by Jason that the 6-pin Vodia connection on the end of the cable will fit straight into the Deutsch harness on the boat, I had my doubts because as you quite know, I've taken every single thing apart in that boat and the only thing that stands in my way is my aging memory, but even that didn't detract me from remembering the male 6-pin Deutsch connector on the engine harness he told me plugs right in did not look anything like the 6-dice female pin at the end of the cable.  So I stopped by the marina really quickly today while taking Ollie to the vet and sure enough, here is the Deutsch connection for the VP engine harness that is suppose to receive the cable end.  Sorry about the out of focus pic it was taken back in 2015.  Odd 6-pin configuration.

ZtY6LrU.jpg

Here's the cable end with the 6-pin dice connection which is everywhere now.  So this is my only issue at the moment to connect everything is finding either the adapter that goes from that weird Deutsch connected pin configuration on the engine, to this.  Once I solve that, should be all set.

UA9kUMy.jpg

12 hours ago, Hatem said:

Do you have a picture of these links & ports you used at the engine harness?  

No, I don’t think I have any pictures but they wouldn’t help you anyway. I think my connection was a 15-pin connection (Mercury). Here’s a link:

So Mercury and Volvo obviously use different busses but it sounds like the same concept. How to mate your cable to the VOIDA?  I have no idea. Would think Volvo would help you though 

47 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Cool, thank you for the that.  I figured the Merc connection was quite different than the VP.  What I'll do is visit Jason tomorrow morning and he'll either have the adapter thatgoes from that funky 6-pin to the normal  6-pin dice connection at the end of the cable.  It will either be that, or rewire that weird Deutsch connection to receive the cable.  Shouldn't be a big deal.  The interesting part is the cover I had to pull off the harness had an 8-pin connection. 

14 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I can install a VesselView Mobile to one of the other junction box ports if I want that. But of course I’m selling the boat. :)

Oh and best of luck with that.  According to the steal you got on that, you should get at least that or more.  I know they say that add-on features usually don't help the price, but I would talk a lot about all the mods you put into that 250 as a way to show its current worth.  Good luck.

On a separate note, I'll be tossing in the new G3 chip today and see what happens.  I'll take some pics and offer my opinion.  Supposed to be quite the improvement.  There's also a Garmin seminar coming up at WM next Thursday, just in time to discuss a lot of the arguments, the claims of how "dangerous this thread is" LMFAO and many questions about referring the new compass on the GPS to the Ritchie.  Chartplotting differences and a lot of fish finding and sonar and video.  Many things that have come up on this thread that we'll get a video recording of it. Hopefully they'll allow me to record it. 

HERE ARE ONE'S CLUES TO HELP TO FINALIZE THIS SIMPLE VP EC HOOKUP, RIGHT FROM THE INSTALLATION MANUAL.

large.1853736845_VPECGASDETAIL.png.253f1

7 hours ago, Rambo said:

HERE ARE ONE'S CLUES TO HELP TO FINALIZE THIS SIMPLE VP EC HOOKUP, RIGHT FROM THE INSTALLATION MANUAL.

large.1853736845_VPECGASDETAIL.png.253f1

So before I say anything, thank you for that I appreciate the help.  But Richard W., why did you come back under a different alias and username?  Was it because you wanted to tag-team Iggy against me at any chance you got?  Because it's no secret you have a major issue with me from 3 years ago for the way I responded to @cyclops2 and his wise-asss remark on my outdrive thread, yet tons of other members -- including ones with full membership in the Fellowship AND ones that aren't -- say MUCH, MUCH worst things to him yet you took a nutty at me out of nowhere and of course, being the kind of person I am who doesn't just take anything like that from anyone responded accordingly and the thread went to the crapper, of course.  SO in caps, like you've been doing to mock me, WE KNOW WHO YOU REALLY ARE AND THERE IS NO SECRET WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS BUT YOU SINGLED ME OUT OF MANY OTHERS JUST TO START SOMETHING INSTEAD OF POLITELY SPEAKING YOUR MIIND WHICH BTW I WOULD'VE RESPONDED IN A VERY DECENT WAY AS WELL.  Oh and BTW, your other attack on me about my windlass installation was so uncalled for and actually supports the theory even more that you have some personal vendetta with me.   So why come back after a short hiatus under a different alias?  Did you really think we wouldn't recognize who you were? 

At any rate, thanks again for that and that's exactly the same drawing on the pic I posted of the manual that I have on the page before with the drawing on the parts connected.  I realize all I need is the adapter for the 6-pin to the bizarre 8-pin and had actually figured that out on Saturday.

On a separate note, I didn't install the G3 chip yesterday simply because I was not in the "technical mood" to be perfectly honest and was just anxious to get out there boating.  So we'll do it another time soon and I'll keep you posted.

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

So before I say anything, thank you for that I appreciate the help.  But Richard W., why did you come back under a different alias and username?  Was it because you wanted to tag-team Iggy against me at any chance you got?  Because it's no secret you have a major issue with me from 3 years ago for the way I responded to @cyclops2 and his wise-asss remark on my outdrive thread, yet tons of other members -- including ones with full membership in the Fellowship AND ones that aren't -- say MUCH, MUCH worst things to him yet you took a nutty at me out of nowhere and of course, being the kind of person I am who doesn't just take anything like that from anyone responded accordingly and the thread went to the crapper, of course.  SO in caps, like you've been doing to mock me, WE KNOW WHO YOU REALLY ARE AND THERE IS NO SECRET WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS BUT YOU SINGLED ME OUT OF MANY OTHERS JUST TO START SOMETHING INSTEAD OF POLITELY SPEAKING YOUR MIIND WHICH BTW I WOULD'VE RESPONDED IN A VERY DECENT WAY AS WELL.  Oh and BTW, your other attack on me about my windlass installation was so uncalled for and actually supports the theory even more that you have some personal vendetta with me.   So why come back after a short hiatus under a different alias?  Did you really think we wouldn't recognize who you were? 

At any rate, thanks again for that and that's exactly the same drawing on the pic I posted of the manual that I have on the page before with the drawing on the parts connected.  I realize all I need is the adapter for the 6-pin to the bizarre 8-pin and had actually figured that out on Saturday.

I thought that this was going to stop. Why are you getting back into this?? And who is "WE"?? As in we know who you are, I don't know............. Rambo sent nothing bad.

But ask your self this, and I will use your words " WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS BUT YOU SINGLED ME OUT OF MANY OTHERS JUST TO START SOMETHING"? So why, what are you doing wrong or right you need to ask your self.

FIRST THING FIRST - THE 6 PIN TO 8 PIN ADAPTER CABLE WAS OBSCURED IN THE PICTURE POSTED DAYS AGO, AND WAS NOT INCLUDED IN THE PICTURED HAND DRAWING. IT WAS A MISSING ITEM DESPITE THE CONVOLUTED DISCUSSION THAT FOLLOWED.

HERE IT IS AGAIN, AND SOME MORE FROM THE INSTALLATION MANUAL, FOR THE CONTINUITY IF ANYBODY STILL FOLLOWS THIS TOPIC:

VOLVO PENTA EASY CONNECT INSTALLATION FOR OLDER VP GAS ENGINES WITHOUT EVC

204588291_VP-InstallationEasyConnectPG2.jpg.9d9919e02610c25b730eb5c0cbf87554.jpg

ALSO NOTE A REMARK ABOUT EASY CONNECT AND CONSTANT POWER DRAW - BOTTOM OF THE FIRST RED BOX BELOW:

1563968104_VP-InstallationEasyConnectPG6.jpg.baa1099999ce2b902b4425be243b5a29.jpg

SECOND - REGARDING OTHER RAMBLINGS, CAPS FOR LAUGHS no more, this is not funny anymore. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. Not even sure how to respond - not the first time though. A retrospective look at the mirror might provide the answer to the grievances raised.

In general, people on this forum are good, decent people, knowledgeable, experienced, some are experts in their field, and always eager to help if the help is requested and appreciated. I have been reading this forum for years and have learned a lot without actually asking any question or arguing with anybody.

A very few arguments over the years. That has been changing but has gone really bad in recent months. The abusive language, the amount of hostility and disrespect, the wrong, inconsequential, often dangerous assumptions and statements that can come from one person is really astonishing. The result - people are leaving, people are shutting down, some treat the one gingerly like a rotten raw egg, and some walk around like a feral cat does around a skunk. Not anymore a fun and collegial place this forum used to be.

The misinformation in the areas that may affect person's safety and well being - use of life saving devices and electronics, proper electrical installations and danger of electricity and water, safe navigation and general boating safety - bothers me the most. As somebody else already implied elsewhere, Johnny Dangerously, has no place here.

Just to save on the back and forth - my future reply to these off topic ramblings and grievances will be "whatever", or simply nothing.

18 hours ago, Iggy said:

I thought that this was going to stop. Why are you getting back into this?? And who is "WE"?? As in we know who you are, I don't know............. Rambo sent nothing bad.

But ask your self this, and I will use your words " WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS BUT YOU SINGLED ME OUT OF MANY OTHERS JUST TO START SOMETHING"? So why, what are you doing wrong or right you need to ask your self.

You and that other guy (who now it's pretty clear) came on this thread with a very bad agenda, and what astonishes me is the hypocrisy listed in the second to last post about the reason people are leaving after the disgusting and insulting posts being tagged team on this thread by both of you.  That said, because the forum has no moderation whatsoever, unfortunately things get worst.  Most people here would take both of your post complete with insults and said "sorry", put their tai between their legs and never say a word.  The way I responded is the only way I know how to when I'm being attacked.  So when a gentlemen like @rjbergen finally stepped in to put an end to this, first thing that came to my mind was how amazingly long it took for anyone to actually step in.

Go back to the start of this thread and look at the way the two of you behaved towards my posts.  Saying it's dangerous and stupid.........what do you expect?  You know quite wel I don't sheep.  The only time I might've done it was with Curt because I just have way too much respect for him. 

We obviously have a difference of opinion on the usage of the compass but from what I remember, all I said was to reference your magnetic one to our GPS one and be sure nothing is obstructing the magnetism of the Ritchie compass and you guys jumped so ugly on that I couldn't believe it.  If either of you wanted to correct any potentially wrong information could've done it in a much more respectable, adult-like manner which is why I laugh at the hypocrisy in the post 2 post above.

So because Bergen said what he said, he opened the path as far as I'm concerned and I'll get there when I'm ready.

9 hours ago, Rambo said:

A very few arguments over the years. That has been changing but has gone really bad in recent months. The abusive language, the amount of hostility and disrespect, the wrong, inconsequential, often dangerous assumptions and statements that can come from one person is really astonishing. The result - people are leaving, people are shutting down, some treat the one gingerly like a rotten raw egg, and some walk around like a feral cat does around a skunk. Not anymore a fun and collegial place this forum used to be.

No, lol.  Sorry but that is laughable.  People are leaving this forum because it's pretty much a boring place where almost every single thread opened is a problem someone has and is looking for a fix.  Otherwise, it only has a few good threads that have lasted many pages.  Look at the modification thread opened years ago; the first post was from you trying to discredit it and shut it down.  Guess what, it turned out to be arguably the most popular thread with 53 pages and who knows how many views.

You need to get past your hatred of me for whatever reason it was and stop making up other ridiculous reasons for people leaving.  Like I said, it all started at that one thread I mentioned and you've held a grudge for that many years?  let it go and I have absolutely no problem letting go of all the BS you pulled off in the start of this thread.  But of course, it will be a "whatever."  That's fine.  I know at my end I think I'm close to letting it go and move on.

I am going to defend myself. Hatem, you have done the name calling as mentioned many times in the past when we/I have corrected you. Rathen than backing up you point with fact.

Have you asked your self why as mentioned??

9 hours ago, Rambo said:

SECOND - REGARDING OTHER RAMBLINGS, CAPS FOR LAUGHS no more, this is not funny anymore. Sounds like a case of mistaken identity. Not even sure how to respond - not the first time though. A retrospective look at the mirror might provide the answer to the grievances raised.

In general, people on this forum are good, decent people, knowledgeable, experienced, some are experts in their field, and always eager to help if the help is requested and appreciated. I have been reading this forum for years and have learned a lot without actually asking any question or arguing with anybody.

The misinformation in the areas that may affect person's safety and well being - use of life saving devices and electronics, proper electrical installations and danger of electricity and water, safe navigation and general boating safety - bothers me the most. As somebody else already implied elsewhere, Johnny Dangerously, has no place here.

Just to save on the back and forth - my future reply to these off topic ramblings and grievances will be "whatever", or simply nothing.

I have to agree with the three of you. A spot on post

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

I am going to defend myself. Hatem, you have done the name calling as mentioned many times in the past when we/I have corrected you. Rathen than backing up you point with fact.

Ok, you're right and I acknowledge that and I do it because of a self imposed defense mechanism against attacks on me.  I also acknowledge that I do that simply with disagreements and for that I apologize.  I'm a builder who's been in the construction business longer than I care to admit and vulgarity runs rampant in that business and I am also on several other forums where the use of a few curse words is not even looked at.  So I'll be sure I don't do that anymore.  You see how easy it is to apopologize when you're wrong?  Yet when you insulted my family, you've never once said any form of apology.

So apparently it seems like there are several people (a couple who haven't even contributed anything to this thread until now) agree completely with that post above which essentially claims that what I have said here from the start of the thread is not only DANGEROUS, but it's the reason people are leaving this forum! That is remarkable!  So that being said, this thread should be closed down immediately.

@Chaparral Web Team, could you kindly close this thread, please?  Or better yet, since it contains dangerous information and other things from me that are causing people to leave this forum and I'm the cause of that, deleting it would probably be much better so no one gets hurt from anything I've said.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Ok, you're right and I acknowledge that and I do it because of a self imposed defense mechanism against attacks on me.  I also acknowledge that I do that simply with disagreements and for that I apologize.  I'm a builder who's been in the construction business longer than I care to admit and vulgarity runs rampant in that business and I am also on several other forums where the use of a few curse words is not even looked at.  So I'll be sure I don't do that anymore.  You see how easy it is to apopologize when you're wrong?  Yet when you insulted my family, you've never once said any form of apology.

So apparently it seems like there are several people (a couple who haven't even contributed anything to this thread until now) agree completely with that post above which essentially claims that what I have said here from the start of the thread is not only DANGEROUS, but it's the reason people are leaving this forum! That is remarkable!  So that being said, this thread should be closed down immediately.

@Chaparral Web Team, could you kindly close this thread, please?  Or better yet, since it contains dangerous information and other things from me that are causing people to leave this forum and I'm the cause of that, deleting it would probably be much better so no one gets hurt from anything I've said.  Thank you.

AGAIN, I am going to defend my self. This will be the THIRD time!!! I joke was said not meaning anything and it came out wrong!! I apologized than and you said the same thing about two months ago and I apologized on that post. SO its three times now.  I am sorry! 

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Is Hatem really the Donald in disguise ?:D

Don't start...........