Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Newbies, do you use your GPS to its fullest?

10 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Actually, I may have misspoke.  @Hatem, the GPS shown in the picture with I presume your hand in the photo is the same GPS as I have, except I do have the GPS label in the upper left corner.

You mean the VHF in my hand not GPS, right? BTW, thank you for being a real gentleman who knows how to treat others with respect, just wanted to throw that out there and I'm very sincere about that, in case you think I'm trying to start trouble or something. I'm really not despite the differences we've had before. This should be a lesson for everyone that even some of the toughest arguments, fights, whatevers can still be salvaged all it takes is a bit of respect.

So yeah, that VHF I was holding in my hand trying to find the best place to install it on my helm which I did end up installing it there but it's way too low and I need to bend over (kinda like I have been on this thread and take it up the $^& loooool humor, people, humor!) just to see what channel is on display but I cut the hole out back in 2015.  It's the Standard Horizon Explorer I think it's like the most popular model out there.  Those new, GPS/AIS compatible VHFs are $500+.  That thing was $249 IIRC, or even less on Amazon back in 2015.  But I have some ideas on how to make that thing much more visible from where it is or relocate it and put something VERY cool in its place.

10 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

VERY interested to find out what he says next week.

Yes sir, you will be the first to be tagged on the outcome of that whole thing and I can't wait to show you the way the Bluetooth is working and getting engine data on our Ipads!  really cool stuff.  The information showing up on the 741xs is also exceptional.  I will open a new thread and detail the entire installation of that NMEA2K cabeling from the engine all the way to the Ts of the gateway behind the helm to the Volvo Bluetooth capable easy connect to the 741xs.  So you'll be able to see that in its entirety.

But I was looking at the Raymarine screens and not the little ones to fit my boat, talking about the huge  20" ones (I think that's the measurements not sure, though) and love how not only the clarity and detail on them might just be a little better than Garmin, but the beauty of those thin screens is they don't have to be permanently attached!  You can actually hold the GPS and walk around the boat with it just as if is was a pad. Very cool and if they haven't already, I bet Garmin will catch up.

I did want to ask @Benda23 how did you make out with your Raymarine installation?

13 hours ago, Hatem said:

You mean the VHF in my hand not GPS, right?

Correct.  So the NMEA0183 will serve two purposes.  First, it will receive the GPS data from your chartplotter which allows for the DSC functions to work.  Second, it will (as we discussed previously) send position data from other vessels to your GPS for display purposes.  Now, "position data from other vessels" does not mean AIS data...only DSC data received via your VHF antenna (emergency vessels, or other vessels who have allowed you permission to track).

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:06 AM, TexasPilot71 said:

Correct.  So the NMEA0183 will serve two purposes.  First, it will receive the GPS data from your chartplotter which allows for the DSC functions to work.  Second, it will (as we discussed previously) send position data from other vessels to your GPS for display purposes.  Now, "position data from other vessels" does not mean AIS data...only DSC data received via your VHF antenna (emergency vessels, or other vessels who have allowed you permission to track).

Got it.  Thanks for the follow-up, TP.