Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Newbies, do you use your GPS to its fullest?

First of all, let's be sure to get rid of the stigma of being a Newbie to boating, there is NOTHING wrong with that.  Don't be intimidating about that because this is how we learn.  If you're afraid to ask a question because you'll be made fun off of get some nasty reaction from an inconsiderate jerk member (and here are a few here) like telling you to zip it up because he's ego is so far beyond delusional.

I've only been boating for 5-1/12 years so I still have a lot more to learn but I find the usage of my GPS almost to be the most important element  2nd to a well=functioning engine.

I place it perfectly within my line of site and wath out for all depth markings to avoid them like the plague even though many of them are deep enough as you will see in this pic below.

I also leave on my "breach crumbs" which show me the path I took the last time and I it was successful, I can reuse them and just follow them.  Makes it very easy to go on another trip and be completely safe from grounding out.  A lot of info given on one navigation page that we can go over and anyone can participate if you have any questions or others more experienced have good feedback and suggestions can certainly pitch it.  Now this is not the greatest picture but I posted if for a reason because you can see I stick to the deeper waters and evidenced by my numerous bread crumbs to be safe.  There is also a point further north in that navigation process that shows the red and green larkers that describe the channels opening to be VERY narrow and we have to share it with a big ferry and well as many other sailboats which I will post later and talk about if I see more interest in the subject.

tgnn9f4.jpg

An important reminder is that the GPS' that Chaparral includes in many of its boats are not exactly the best ones, unless you order the one you want specifically which also adds to the $$ you have to pay.  That said, you'll need to check for certain important factors.  Some here might disagree with the order of importance because each has their priorities but one thing that I think wouldn't get any disagreement for being the #1 consideration is depth markings.  Depth markings are very important IMO and these vary from the Smartcraft depth reader which tells you what the depth is exactly under your boat at the current time your boat is over that depth.

I mentioned on another thread that particular feature is "practically useless" because of obvious reasons. Yeah, even I use it and use it frequently because it's nice to know what depth of water you're in not because you're worried about getting grounded, but for many other reasons.  Location and why it's that deep.  The relationship between the accuracy of what is noted on the GPS and the smartfract readings and a few others non really important.

What you want is a very clear separation of water that is 20ft or deeper and water that is under 20ft so that you can make the decision if that water that is under 20ft has a lot of higher spots that are cruisable.  If you look at the pic in the post above, you'll see that bottleneck or breedcrumbs that is a narrow channel of white water which indicates depth of 20ft or over, so I know it's safe and I just blast right through it.

Notice all the info on this pic?  Sorry for the slightly out of focus picture but it's enough to show all the VERY important information and that is the islands location relative to your boat location, the white water which I like to stick to and of course the blue water which is not completely off-limits because of all the numbers listed there.  They give you accurate depths set at low tide so that it's the worst possible scenario and you can decide for yourself if you want to get in there for whatever reason.  I do it when I like to fish for more bass since a lot of them hand out closer to rocky shore where waves and current pull out pogies and bait for them to eat.

YHKe3zV.jpg

I'll talk about waypoints and other features in upcoming posts and if anyone has any questions or others who use their GPS a lot can chime in and contribute, do so. Waypoints are a bit tricky since they first give you a straight point which means it goes overland and you need to find the safe, waterway point and go with that.  I also have sonar & fish-finder which is operated by a thru-hull transducer and that's something that sometimes does not come with Chaparral boats and might be something of great importance to consider.

So, being a newbie and if you've never used a marine GPS before, my best advice to you is have someone who has some experience to give you a quick overview of the menu options on your particular unit.  The most important thing I (and many others that I have spoken to) is the navigation chart.  This is basically a live view of exactly where you are at that exact moment for your navigations options.  Also as I mentioned earlier, it gives you surrounding depths which I find equally important as the navigation chart and maybe even more important since navigation gives you a lot of imformation that you already see in front of you.  Land, water, markers etc., while some of these such as markers which mark channels (red and green) can sometimes be difficult to see with the naked eye at a fairly good distance can be seen easily on the chart and as you approach them, then they become visible. 

So having the navigation chart with depth readings around you is the #1 priority.  The rest can fall in any order that pleases you but this is the first thing you need to do.  Mine happenes to be a touch screen which personally, I can't stand.  The only good thing I like about the old crappy Garmin 532s that came with the boat was that it was a push-button and the reason is that it's much easier to control a panning situation, for example, by pushing a solid button than a moving a touch screen that is bouncing left and rght and up and down because of the water chop.  It's actually very difficult, but there are other many conveniences of a touchscreen also that you will find out. 

Sorry about the out-of focus pics, I took these with my old phone and here must've been a glare or just a crappy phone.  I'll post these for now so you get some idea of the basics, nothing super fancy since there is a lot more these things are capable of doing but this should get you started.  Menu button will give you navigation charts and other options like sonar etc. (if your unit is equipped with them) and you want to select the "Navigation Chart."

wKqYHnC.jpg

Selecting the navigation option will give you the picture in my first post. This will give you your main position and related surroundings and depths and hazards around you as well as marked channels if you choose to stay inside them, always a good idea to do so. 

There's also the 3D perspective which I don't really use that much.  I don't see an advantage to that perspective TBPH but some like it although speaking to a lot of users of the same unit and others including the fellas from Garmin who did the install, they'll say the same thing.  While nice to have, it's not as helpful as a direct view from above.  Here I was in the marina so you can see it in the bottom center.  It's an interesting look, but not of much value and to me is more confusing.  You can be the judge of that.

ESMafrj.jpg

If you happen to have a transducer and a sonar feature (depending on the unit itself) some do accommodate transducers even thru-hulls) but will not support sonar or fish finder but rather give you things like water temperatureand depth.  I would always recommend a unit with sonar even if you don't fish a lot simply because it's interesting to see the bottom of where you are and what it looks like.  No worries I will replace these pics with much better ones but in the meantime this will give you some idea.  You can even split the sonar screen as well as splitting the navigation screen with sonar which I tend to do a lot when fishing unless I know I'm in heavily deep water from great distances.  In that case I will only use the fishfinder and even use a split screen with it.

tOHfGIr.jpg

In your menu feature rhere are many valuable offshore services.  Fuel docks which are most important as well as ramps, restrooms and slips and moorings.  I usually call the harbor master if I'm looking for a mooring or a slip which is also another option.  Try them on channel 16 and they will direct you to a separate channel since 16 is really reserved for emergencies.

XATyt8D.jpg

You can check tides and make references to dates and times and durations of tides.  Tides are very important if you boat the ocean since they have a great effect on many things such as depth of water and current.

yPg8JvL.jpg

Speaking of current, if you really can't see it or visualize what it is doing or it seems to be moving from one direction to the other, this current feature will help you greatly.  Takes a little bit of getting used to using it, but just like anything else, once you get a hang of it, its simple and very helpful.

WYbEFm3.jpg

Once you get used to these basic and I would say most important features to learn first on a GPS, then you can get into others such as this one here, Celestial mode! :) 

wm09teE.jpg

Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one.  I know @Denny had asked if the newer Chaparrals came with them but it doesn't seem to be the case because of this exact reason. 

Other features you can take advantage of.

BDGECb4.jpg

Checking the wind.

BDGECb4.jpg

Of course engine and mechanical info up the wazoo which I don't have hooked up since I'm debating using this or getting a newer system.  Plus we have a lot of this stuff already on the dashboard gauges so depending on your preference, it's a personality thing.  I happen not to have a lot of room on my helm to accommodate Vessel View which I would like along with other units so finding the right one with the current gauges I have would probably suffice and this unit seems to be very close to achieving this.

VD5Fylf.jpg 

There is a lot more to cover because I also have radar with this GPS unit which I use during nighttime boating but especially when there is a lot of fog which we get up here and using it several ways makes it very versatile but also has its own shortcomings, especially when you overlay it on your navigation chart which is the only way I would use it. It seems to have a very lsight delay but I am getting used to it.

So I will get you better pictures and replace those old ones with them and next phase will include a lot more using sonar, fish finder and radar.  Anyone else have personal opinions or know of other good and useful beginners options I missed and experiences with on hands pictures and stories instead of just pointing to a $30 link to use that is no doubt helpful but costs money, derails a great potential thread on purpose and does nothing with great information from on hands members and anyone with good experience, feel free to contribute. 

This is some good info, I appreciate it.  I need to spend some time getting to know mine.  I have the same unit you do 741xs.

Having the navigational charts was nice but it would also be cool to have points of interest as well like google maps.  Being able to search for gas or restaurants and then knowing the distance and route would be handy.  Maybe this is actually a feature and I just haven’t figured it out yet.

Also, my transducer loses signal around 20 mph or so and my depth and sonar just flash.  I have heard of this happening to others but in my last boat with just a basic depth finder I never lost a reading at any speed. 

Nevermind, I overlooked the part about services having fuel etc available...I’ll have to check this out and get to customizing the screen when I get caught back up from being on vacation.

14 hours ago, brclark82 said:

This is some good info, I appreciate it.  I need to spend some time getting to know mine.  I have the same unit you do 741xs.

Really?  That came with the new 257ssx?  That's awesome!  Chaparral starting to install much better GPS' I'm seeing.  I noticed on the newer cruisers and of course the new 347ssx, they come with a pair of Raymarine MFDS which must be great.  Those things should practically drive the boat by themselves (which BTW, that tech is coming soon I already posted about it on the mods thread).

Also, my transducer loses signal around 20 mph or so and my depth and sonar just flash.  I have heard of this happening to others but in my last boat with just a basic depth finder I never lost a reading at any speed.

Hun, I haven't noticed that myself but I will try it this morning when I finally get out and see if mine does the same thing and report back.  I'm guessing the transducer is forward of the bilge?

Nevermind, I overlooked the part about services having fuel etc available...I’ll have to check this out and get to customizing the screen when I get caught back up from being on vacation.

We were somewhere way south and way past our destination one day and we noticed we were pretty low on fuel.  Clicked the menu for fuel dock locations and it actually pointed us to one we could actually see by eye!!!  Just didn't notice it loool.

I'll be taking -- and probably replacing a lot of those pics I already posted) with much better pics now that I have this Note 9 that takes amazing pics!  I'll also do a quick tutorial on setting waypoints since they can be a little tricky.  How many times have you been out in that mean machine so far? :) 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:24 PM, Iggy said:

BoatWise Boatwise.com

Why don't you tell and show us what you have and use?  When you make your annual trip from Winthrop to Provincetown, what do you do as far as setting a waypoint or whatever?  How often do you use your radar and do you use it alone or overlay it?  What other features do you use that haven't been covered yet?

3 hours ago, Hatem said:

Really?  That came with the new 257ssx?  That's awesome!  Chaparral starting to install much better GPS' I'm seeing.  I noticed on the newer cruisers and of course the new 347ssx, they come with a pair of Raymarine MFDS which must be great.  Those things should practically drive the boat by themselves (which BTW, that tech is coming soon I already posted about it on the mods thread).

Hun, I haven't noticed that myself but I will try it this morning when I finally get out and see if mine does the same thing and report back.  I'm guessing the transducer is forward of the bilge?

We were somewhere way south and way past our destination one day and we noticed we were pretty low on fuel.  Clicked the menu for fuel dock locations and it actually pointed us to one we could actually see by eye!!!  Just didn't notice it loool.

I'll be taking -- and probably replacing a lot of those pics I already posted) with much better pics now that I have this Note 9 that takes amazing pics!  I'll also do a quick tutorial on setting waypoints since they can be a little tricky.  How many times have you been out in that mean machine so far? :) 

Why don't you tell and show us what you have and use?  When you make your annual trip from Winthrop to Provincetown, what do you do as far as setting a waypoint or whatever?  How often do you use your radar and do you use it alone or overlay it?  What other features do you use that haven't been covered yet?

In the past you have given out bad advice. Case in point, the transducer topic and you were reading from Garmin. Not understand how the setup works between NEMA2k, network, and a dedicated sounder hook up and arguing about it.

What I am really driving at is.  You are no professional in this area. Your advice may seam harmless, but you don't know and I too what the end result could be.  Case in point, you talk about "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one." Now your not stating that you are using a electronic compass hooked up to you GPS or not. BUT to compare them would be wrong if you don't take account Deviation and Variation.  Which you don't talk about, more so deviation since that is built into every compass and boat. This is a whole topic itself alone.    

Again, case in point: Now this make no seance to me "If you happen to have a transducer and a sonar feature (depending on the unit itself) some do accommodate transducers even thru-hulls) but will not support sonar or fish finder but rather give you things like water temperatureand depth." You say "but will not support sonar" "but rather give you ...temp and depth. But sonar is depth.  

This is just two examples.  

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

In the past you have given out bad advice. Case in point, the transducer topic and you were reading from Garmin. Not understand how the setup works between NEMA2k, network, and a dedicated sounder hook up and arguing about it.

Look, this is like the 3rd time you've thrown this stuff at me when all I did here was extend an olive branch and you literally took a steaming pile of dung on it.  If that's how you want to be, that's fine with me.  I'm not turning this into some silly duel with you.  

If the link I gave that guy was incorrect despite it listing a transducer for it, we could've easily straightened it out without the craziness.  Who the heck goes out and buys whatever he's told without making sure it's exactly what he needs?!  That's the dumbest thing ever.  If the transducer it claimed supported that unit only gave him depth and water temperature and not sonar, ok, fine!  Jesus Christ to get all bent out of shape over that is beyond childish.

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

What I am really driving at is.  You are no professional in this area. Your advice may seam harmless, but you don't know and I too what the end result could be.  Case in point, you talk about "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one." Now your not stating that you are using a electronic compass hooked up to you GPS or not. BUT to compare them would be wrong if you don't take account Deviation and Variation.  Which you don't talk about, more so deviation since that is built into every compass and boat. This is a whole topic itself alone.    

Who ever claimed to be a professional?!  Where is your mind coming up with these things?  Do you realize this is just a thread about getting the most out of whatever GPS you have?  Did anyone claim they were some expert?  And why are you bringing up the accuracy of my magnetic compass to whatever it is you're talking about?  I only showed the feature, that is present on the GPS. That's it!  If anyone wants to get into the details of its accuracy compared to that of the GPS, then they're more than welcome to do so.  Then we can learn, debate, compare  etc.  This is not about me or you or anyone else telling anyone this is how it must be done.  And where the heck did NEMA2K come from?  This is for newbies and anyone can introduce that to the thread later or at any time.  As a matter of fact, it's way too early to bring that up before even understanding what features people have on their GPS.

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

Again, case in point: Now this make no seance to me "If you happen to have a transducer and a sonar feature (depending on the unit itself) some do accommodate transducers even thru-hulls) but will not support sonar or fish finder but rather give you things like water temperatureand depth." You say "but will not support sonar" "but rather give you ...temp and depth. But sonar is depth.  

Again, you still want to fight about that other thread because you just can't get over it.  I'm not fighting with you anymore.   You don't want to participate in this thread, don't ruin it for others.  This is about the simple usage and understanding of a good quality GPS and getting the most out of it.  

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Look, this is like the 3rd time you've thrown this stuff at me when all I did here was extend an olive branch and you literally took a steaming pile of dung on it.  If that's how you want to be, that's fine with me.  I'm not turning this into some silly duel with you.  

If the link I gave that guy was incorrect despite it listing a transducer for it, we could've easily straightened it out without the craziness.  Who the heck goes out and buys whatever he's told without making sure it's exactly what he needs?!  That's the dumbest thing ever.  If the transducer it claimed supported that unit only gave him depth and water temperature and not sonar, ok, fine!  Jesus Christ to get all bent out of shape over that is beyond childish.

Who ever claimed to be a professional?!  Where is your mind coming up with these things?  Do you realize this is just a thread about getting the most out of whatever GPS you have?  Did anyone claim they were some expert?  And why are you bringing up the accuracy of my magnetic compass to whatever it is you're talking about?  I only showed the feature, that is present on the GPS. That's it!  If anyone wants to get into the details of its accuracy compared to that of the GPS, then they're more than welcome to do so.  Then we can learn, debate, compare  etc.  This is not about me or you or anyone else telling anyone this is how it must be done.  And where the heck did NEMA2K come from?  This is for newbies and anyone can introduce that to the thread later or at any time.  As a matter of fact, it's way too early to bring that up before even understanding what features people have on their GPS.

Again, you still want to fight about that other thread because you just can't get over it.  I'm not fighting with you anymore.   You don't want to participate in this thread, don't ruin it for others.  This is about the simple usage and understanding of a good quality GPS and getting the most out of it.  

My post is stating fact. Your the one getting emotional. Using words like , "ok, fine", "childish", "Jesus" and "craziness". Rather than stating why or rebutting my comments with fact.

You did not read your own words "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one".  So for you to say in your 2nd post "And why are you bringing up the accuracy of my magnetic compass "  That just shows that you don't understand. 

15 hours ago, Tuglife said:

Thanks for this whole series for newbies dude this is awesome of you!

You're welcome, man.  I hope you found some of it useful.  What unit did your boat come with, especially you being out in the ocean?  Curious to know.

I have A LOT MORE to come on this subject that will make it a lot of fun and much more interesting and educational, despite the lame minor and jealous criticism. :D 

12 hours ago, Iggy said:

My post is stating fact. Your the one getting emotional. Using words like , "ok, fine", "childish", "Jesus" and "craziness". Rather than stating why or rebutting my comments with fact. 

That's emotional?  Rebutting your comments is like slamming your head on a concrete wall, sometimes a rubber one.  But toughen up a little and stop being so sensitive.  You've insulted me/family 100000000X more than this @#$%@# so put it in perspective and stop using all these childish counterpoints to try and embarrass me.  Is that what you're trying to do, embarrass me?  lol, it's not working dude and a little advice, if you think you're some big shot know-it all about electronics like you've been desperately tyring to do here, show us instead of bitching all the time.  Let's go, show us something of substance instead of all this crap.

12 hours ago, Iggy said:

You did not read your own words "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one".  So for you to say in your 2nd post "And why are you bringing up the accuracy of my magnetic compass "  That just shows that you don't understand. 

The only time I ever mentioned ANYTHING about a compass was in this post here I will quote AGAIN:  And this was not in my 2nd post, but 3rd so pay attention and be more accurate about what you want to give me a hard time about ( since that seems to be your only goal in this thread now and I'm going to take exception to it and greet you back with the same contempt and maybe even worst, so heads up with that if this is the route you want to take, instead of simply accepting the olive branch I extended to you to participate in this thread and even teach us all about things we don't know (yes, I said things we don't know that you might and do know) but instead you took a huge pile of steaming dung on it and here we are.  So while I continue to contribute to this thread despite your foolishness, I will still make it a point to take your foolishness on every single time, don't worry).
Now, back to your ridiculous point.  You said this:

Let's see if I don't understand based on your accusation.  First of all, I'm not talking about the accuracy of YOUR particular magnetic compass, but every one's in general because no one knows if they're actually working correctly unless they've actually gone through a process to check them and that they are on the money!  For me, for example, my 741xs is actually located pretty close to my compass and electronics of any kind being close to any compass can actually pull them out of whack!  The fact that you did not even know that makes me now question your knowledge even more and how badly informed about this stuff you are in the first place if you're even asking that question.  What about other ways magnetic compasses can get wacked out?  Being hit or bumped?  Water intrusion/rust and the list goes on and on.  So I don't understand, Iggy?  Maybe you should stop for a minute, take a deep breath, read the entire post again and maybe, just maybe you'll be able to see that what I was referring to was the same principle as GPS Speed vs speedometer speed and understanding which one is actually more accurate.  So here is my post again maybe this time you'll understand it!

On 7/7/2019 at 7:34 PM, Hatem said:

Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one.  I know @Denny had asked if the newer Chaparrals came with them but it doesn't seem to be the case because of this exact reason. 

Other features you can take advantage of.

BDGECb4.jpg

So really the over arching point that was being made was that we are fortunate to have both magnetic and electronic compasses that we need to compare and make sure they're accurate or close enough because the newer boats don't come with magnetic compasses and they only depend on electronic ones. See how much you missed and didn't understand because you were so bent out of shape about just giving me a hard time?  You ended up making a fool out of yourself. 

You know something, despite all the bull@#$%@# you always come up with, it's amazing I still have the patience to go through all this stuff to explain it to you because most people don't have the time and patience to do it with even someone they like, let alone someone they don't particularly care about. 

Maybe the next time somebody extends you an olive branch be a man and accept it and make something positive out of it. Try that, it will be much better

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, brclark82 said:

This is the GPS that came with my boat.  I actually like it very much strictly for navigation purposes except it's BIGGEST problem was that it didn't have an depth readings.  We spent our entire first season using the depth gauge on the smartcraft and when my friend Joe Anderson came on board for his first ride with us, lol I'll never forget the words that came out of his mouth "WTF where are are all the depth markings"?  I said there aren't any, you just have to use that depth gauge which is the depth under the boat and then he let out a bit "AND WHAT THE @#$^#^ IS THAT GOING TO DO FOR YOU AFTER YOU'VE ALREADY SCRAPED THE ROCK AND YOUR BOAT IS SITTING ON TOP OF IT, IF IT HASN'T SUNKEN YET!?!?!?!"  looool I'll never forget that.  He sad the whole harbor we boat in has some serious hazards and rocky outcrops from islnds and ledges that stick out and you might be ok at high tide, but you're hiting them for sure at low tide (and I will show you an example of that in a few posts coming up).  Was it you who was asking about the transducer and if it's giving you depth reading on the smartcraft gauge?  I forget if it was you or someone else.  Don't want to address the wrong person so please let me know,

This is Garmin 531

i40zFIi.jpg

Sorry it's a little dusty from either all the work they're doing at the marina.

So as soon as the engine turns over, this is the first item I get on the SC.  I'll just post them in order without description since I gotta get outta here.

m9SLlyg.jpg

VApPcYy.jpg

VApPcYy.jpg

wokuaCC.jpg

kuR9k0Y.jpg

tjlGlo2.jpg

4wCabjN.jpg

This it the most important one for me that I have on 100% of the time, from the minute I turn the engine on to when I flush it in the slip at the end of the day.  I need to keep track of that temperature all the time and make sure it's right around 160 degrees all the time.

SaVZqZZ.jpg

r1616gM.jpg

Hdyp1qf.jpg

fLZWiIK.jpg

I only use my hand held GPS to check for TRUE MAXIMUM mph at WOT. 

Only rare no wake areas. Or MAXIMUM 5mph areas.  GPS saves tickets there.

11 hours ago, Hatem said:

Sorry it's a little dusty from either all the work they're doing at the marina.

So as soon as the engine turns over, this is the first item I get on the SC.  I'll just post them in order without description since I gotta get outta here.

m9SLlyg.jpg

VApPcYy.jpg

VApPcYy.jpg

wokuaCC.jpg

kuR9k0Y.jpg

tjlGlo2.jpg

4wCabjN.jpg

This it the most important one for me that I have on 100% of the time, from the minute I turn the engine on to when I flush it in the slip at the end of the day.  I need to keep track of that temperature all the time and make sure it's right around 160 degrees all the time.

SaVZqZZ.jpg

r1616gM.jpg

Hdyp1qf.jpg

fLZWiIK.jpg

Ok, now... You stated " For me, for example, my 741xs is actually located pretty close to my compass and electronics of any kind being close to any compass can actually pull them out of whack!  The fact that you did not even know that makes me now question your knowledge even more and how badly informed about this stuff you are in the first place if you're even asking that question.  What about other ways magnetic compasses can get wacked out?"

So you think because I did not mention electronics that I don't understand. Well lets look back at my past post and what I said " Which you don't talk about, more so deviation since that is built into every compass and boat. This is a whole topic itself alone." What "and boat" means is just that which includes the electronics, the motors the whole boat.  And I don't understand?? 

And yes, I am not talking about your compass. You stated "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one" And I said " BUT to compare them would be wrong if you don't take account Deviation and Variation." So where you thought I was talking about your compass, I don't know.  

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, Iggy said:

Ok, now... You stated " For me, for example, my 741xs is actually located pretty close to my compass and electronics of any kind being close to any compass can actually pull them out of whack!  The fact that you did not even know that makes me now question your knowledge even more and how badly informed about this stuff you are in the first place if you're even asking that question.  What about other ways magnetic compasses can get wacked out?"

Ok, forget about this bickering back and forth and you know I've tried to do this from the first post I made to you telling you to contribute positively and specifically how you set a waypoint when you make your trip to Provincetown (I think almost every year) and instead you've chosen to label me as someone who's given bad advice and have made every single effort to ruin this thread. 

You did not understand, Iggy, it's very clear, what I meant when I said "check the accuracy of your magnetic compass) to the GPS compass.  You went off somewhere I don't even know where and why.  The point is, as I've explained, is that all our magnetic compassed are exposed to certain things that can make them not work properly, and mainly the proximity of other electronics that people install on their own on the helm NEAR the compass and because it is magnetic, the electrical circuitry and magnetism inside these electronics that are placed near the magnetic compass can put it out of whack and skew it. THERFORE, that is why I said to check the accuracy of your magnetic compass and compare it to the digital one on your GPS because that will give you an indication as to whether it is working right or it's not.  I hope you see what I was saying now that I've explained it for a 3rd time?

As a matter of fact, that is something I need to do because of the location of my 741xs which I mounted on top of the right side of the dashboard and it's relatively close to the compass.  I haven't checked to see if it has caused any problems to the compass just yet because I haven't even actually gotten the compass working on the GPS since that is what I would use to compare and see.  Even if there is a variation or deviation or whatever you want to call it, you can also pull out a compass on your smartphone and check all of them. 

The guys who installed my Garmin 741xs FROM GARMIN CO itself told me this exact same thing!  So I would think their knowledge is pretty superior to mine, yours or anyone on this board.  As we discussed the importance of where to install it (since we didn't have enough room on my helm), I asked them what if we placed it over to the other side  (STBD) of helm and that is when they said it would be closer to the compass and the electrical current and electronics in the GPS could affect the compass.  So this is something straight from the horse's mouth and it's also all over online.  We're done with this, right?

So you think because I did not mention electronics that I don't understand. Well lets look back at my past post and what I said " Which you don't talk about, more so deviation since that is built into every compass and boat. This is a whole topic itself alone." What "and boat" means is just that which includes the electronics, the motors the whole boat.  And I don't understand?? 

Well talk about it!  That's why I asked you but try staying away from the fighting and bickering with me.  When I said "you didn't understand" it was because of what I just said in all that stuff I wrote in the above paragraph of the proximity of electronics to the compass and how it can affect it.  That's what I was referring to you not understanding. 

And yes, I am not talking about your compass. You stated "Speaking of compass, compare to the accuracy of your magnetic one if you have one" And I said " BUT to compare them would be wrong if you don't take account Deviation and Variation." So where you thought I was  talking about your compass, I don't know.

I don't know either because it seems you have a habit of convoluting things and making things more complicated than they need to be.  Remember the battery switch thread?  It was either position 1 or position 2 to put it on for the guy to start his boat and take it on a cruise.  Instead, you complicated the entire thing with mentioning stuff about what and how it's wired and if it has an inverter or an observer or a telescope or a this or that or the other and you're doing the same exact thing here again!!!!  Just STOP IT!  This thread is for NEWBIES who have new boats and GPS units (or are thinking of getting ones) that don't know anything about them and we're keeping it VERY SIMPLE!  No need to convolute, complicate or make things much harder and if you want to contribute with your knowledge, feel free!  Post a pic or talk about what unit(s) you have and how you use them and what's the most important feature on it for you etc. so all that are reading this can learn and let's leave all the other BS behind.  I really hope you can do that and let's see if that happens.

Back to the navigation chart, for those of you interested in learning or seeing what others do (mainly myself since I opened this thread and I'm the only one posting pics and talking about things) is this very cool and favorite spot of mine called Halfway Rock just 7 miles due west offshore or Marblehead MA.  Spoke bout it earlier in the thread and the surrounding depth is averaging 100ft and it's basically a tower that sticks up out of the bottom all the way up above water level.  Gets a bit higher with low tide and vice versa with low tide as we have an average of about 12ft tide swings which is A LOT!  But before I show you how it comes up on the GPS, here's a picture of the rock as I approach it.  Pretty amazing that it's way out there like that.

VBlToE6.jpg.

You can get pretty close and even see the water level and determine tide just by seeing that, and a few seals, too.

sla7uJ4.jpg

LnunS2m.jpg

So despite being pretty close to the rock since that's where most of the fish will also hand out, I do keep an eye on the current depth because if you notice the green parts of the rock below water, they jut out quite a little bit and at some point I will take depth measurements of those protrusions just for my own knowledge so I know which ones not to get too close to or if they're all deep enough not to worry about.

wbxEzHN.jpg

Notice all the bread crumbs?  I try to keep them as long as possible for obvious reasons.  I know I've been through there and that there were no depth dangers and they also give me direction without having to look at any other reference, such as COMPASS!!!! lol or even land which when you're too far off shore, you can't see anyway.  So you need to be aware of these things and bread crumbs are a great feature to have and once they get to be too much in a passage that you use a lot like this one here...you can always get rid of them and start over.

8y2T5Ay.jpg

Next post I'll talk about setting waypoints which is a GREAT feature to have on any GPS.  Anyone else feel like contributing with their own information or adding to what I've posted or even correcting it, please feel free to go right ahead.  @Water Dawg 6, you do a lot of offshore fishing, why don't you tell us what you do to mark your destination points or if you even use waypoints?  It would be great to hear your methods and experiences, even if you don't have pictures. 

4 hours ago, Hatem said:

Ok, forget about this bickering back and forth and you know I've tried to do this from the first post I made to you telling you to contribute positively and specifically how you set a waypoint when you make your trip to Provincetown (I think almost every year) and instead you've chosen to label me as someone who's given bad advice and have made every single effort to ruin this thread. 

You did not understand, Iggy, it's very clear, what I meant when I said "check the accuracy of your magnetic compass) to the GPS compass.  You went off somewhere I don't even know where and why.  The point is, as I've explained, is that all our magnetic compassed are exposed to certain things that can make them not work properly, and mainly the proximity of other electronics that people install on their own on the helm NEAR the compass and because it is magnetic, the electrical circuitry and magnetism inside these electronics that are placed near the magnetic compass can put it out of whack and skew it. THERFORE, that is why I said to check the accuracy of your magnetic compass and compare it to the digital one on your GPS because that will give you an indication as to whether it is working right or it's not.  I hope you see what I was saying now that I've explained it for a 3rd time?

As a matter of fact, that is something I need to do because of the location of my 741xs which I mounted on top of the right side of the dashboard and it's relatively close to the compass.  I haven't checked to see if it has caused any problems to the compass just yet because I haven't even actually gotten the compass working on the GPS since that is what I would use to compare and see.  Even if there is a variation or deviation or whatever you want to call it, you can also pull out a compass on your smartphone and check all of them. 

The guys who installed my Garmin 741xs FROM GARMIN CO itself told me this exact same thing!  So I would think their knowledge is pretty superior to mine, yours or anyone on this board.  As we discussed the importance of where to install it (since we didn't have enough room on my helm), I asked them what if we placed it over to the other side  (STBD) of helm and that is when they said it would be closer to the compass and the electrical current and electronics in the GPS could affect the compass.  So this is something straight from the horse's mouth and it's also all over online.  We're done with this, right?

Well talk about it!  That's why I asked you but try staying away from the fighting and bickering with me.  When I said "you didn't understand" it was because of what I just said in all that stuff I wrote in the above paragraph of the proximity of electronics to the compass and how it can affect it.  That's what I was referring to you not understanding. 

I don't know either because it seems you have a habit of convoluting things and making things more complicated than they need to be.  Remember the battery switch thread?  It was either position 1 or position 2 to put it on for the guy to start his boat and take it on a cruise.  Instead, you complicated the entire thing with mentioning stuff about what and how it's wired and if it has an inverter or an observer or a telescope or a this or that or the other and you're doing the same exact thing here again!!!!  Just STOP IT!  This thread is for NEWBIES who have new boats and GPS units (or are thinking of getting ones) that don't know anything about them and we're keeping it VERY SIMPLE!  No need to convolute, complicate or make things much harder and if you want to contribute with your knowledge, feel free!  Post a pic or talk about what unit(s) you have and how you use them and what's the most important feature on it for you etc. so all that are reading this can learn and let's leave all the other BS behind.  I really hope you can do that and let's see if that happens.

Back to the navigation chart, for those of you interested in learning or seeing what others do (mainly myself since I opened this thread and I'm the only one posting pics and talking about things) is this very cool and favorite spot of mine called Halfway Rock just 7 miles due west offshore or Marblehead MA.  Spoke bout it earlier in the thread and the surrounding depth is averaging 100ft and it's basically a tower that sticks up out of the bottom all the way up above water level.  Gets a bit higher with low tide and vice versa with low tide as we have an average of about 12ft tide swings which is A LOT!  But before I show you how it comes up on the GPS, here's a picture of the rock as I approach it.  Pretty amazing that it's way out there like that.

VBlToE6.jpg.

You can get pretty close and even see the water level and determine tide just by seeing that, and a few seals, too.

sla7uJ4.jpg

LnunS2m.jpg

So despite being pretty close to the rock since that's where most of the fish will also hand out, I do keep an eye on the current depth because if you notice the green parts of the rock below water, they jut out quite a little bit and at some point I will take depth measurements of those protrusions just for my own knowledge so I know which ones not to get too close to or if they're all deep enough not to worry about.

wbxEzHN.jpg

Notice all the bread crumbs?  I try to keep them as long as possible for obvious reasons.  I know I've been through there and that there were no depth dangers and they also give me direction without having to look at any other reference, such as COMPASS!!!! lol or even land which when you're too far off shore, you can't see anyway.  So you need to be aware of these things and bread crumbs are a great feature to have and once they get to be too much in a passage that you use a lot like this one here...you can always get rid of them and start over.

8y2T5Ay.jpg

Next post I'll talk about setting waypoints which is a GREAT feature to have on any GPS.  Anyone else feel like contributing with their own information or adding to what I've posted or even correcting it, please feel free to go right ahead.  @Water Dawg 6, you do a lot of offshore fishing, why don't you tell us what you do to mark your destination points or if you even use waypoints?  It would be great to hear your methods and experiences, even if you don't have pictures. 

Now your saying, "You did not understand, Iggy, it's very clear, what I meant when I said "check the accuracy of your magnetic compass) to the GPS compass.  You went off somewhere I don't even know where and why.  The point is, as I've explained, is that all our magnetic compassed are exposed to certain things that can make them not work properly, and mainly the proximity of other electronics that people install on their own on the helm NEAR the compass and because it is magnetic, the electrical circuitry and magnetism inside these electronics that are placed near the magnetic compass can put it out of whack and skew it. THERFORE, that is why I said to check the accuracy of your magnetic compass and compare it to the digital one on your GPS because that will give you an indication as to whether it is working right or it's not.  I hope you see what I was saying now that I've explained it for a 3rd time?"

Now, to what is in red above: Again you can not check it with out taking into account deviation. Every compass has this.  

I never "went off" and yes you did try to explain it 3 times and poorly. As I have said and you have not once talked about "deviation and veration".   I did the first time around on this topic. Later you bought up on you 2nd post about electronics to cover your self. Which is "part" of, as I have already mentioned deviation the 1st time around. Now your back pedaling trying to educate your self on this topic.  Really??

Now you brought it up " Even if there is a variation or deviation or whatever you want to call it" Again, I don't understand?? "Even it there is" Well there is and deviation could be off by 2 to 6 degs. depending on heading and the compass itself, never mind the boat. 

I am really getting off my own topic in this. To give out classes in this area by people like ourselves is not a good thing. We don't want to say something and it could seam to be harmless and it turns out bad. THAT IS MY REAL POINT IN ALL THIS.  

For the poster that said his GPS acts up if he goes over 20 MPH.  Most likely cause is that your transducer is loose.  If it works fine while the boat isn't moving, it's usually not the machine. 

21 hours ago, Iggy said:

THERFORE, that is why I said to check the accuracy of your magnetic compass and compare it to the digital one on your GPS because that will give you an indication as to whether it is working right or it's not.  I hope you see what I was saying now that I've explained it for a 3rd time?"

No, because your answers are all convoluted and you don't even know how to quote individual sentences to respond to them separately like I do to make it clear and you're either still having a hard time figuring out what i'm saying or your playing dumb on purpose because you're pisssed off I opened a thread that you don't like and want to destroy.  Guess what, it ain't gonna happen.  Learn how to quote certain quotes (just like I did above) and answer them properly and maybe things will start making sense.

21 hours ago, Iggy said:

Now, to what is in red above: Again you can not check it with out taking into account deviation. Every compass has this.  

I never "went off" and yes you did try to explain it 3 times and poorly. As I have said and you have not once talked about "deviation and veration".   I did the first time around on this topic. Later you bought up on you 2nd post about electronics to cover your self. Which is "part" of, as I have already mentioned deviation the 1st time around. Now your back pedaling trying to educate your self on this topic.  Really??

Not even worth a waste of my valuable time responding to this @#$%@#.

21 hours ago, Iggy said:

I am really getting off my own topic in this. To give out classes in this area by people like ourselves is not a good thing. We don't want to say something and it could seam to be harmless and it turns out bad. THAT IS MY REAL POINT IN ALL THIS.  

Listen to me, and this is literally the FINAL #$%$&$% time I'm telling you this; NO ONE, except the moderators?owners on this forum can tell me or anyone else for that matter what thread to open and judge any experience of any kind which you're obviously a very bad judge of that and you only have a vendetta against me which is quite obvious and you're trying to do it here and again, I'm gonna tell you it... ain't gonna happen.  When I hear anything that resembles censorship of any kind, especially coming from wannabe forum dictator, I don't take that @#$%@# lightly.  I've taught many seminars on many subjects from building houses to machinery to shop safety to several forms of building certain things like jigs, home-made tool to even guitars and all sorts of other unique items like carving and the 741xs IS MY GPS unit that I USE EVERY TIME I'M OUT ON MY BOART and I will continue to share my experience with it and what I know of it regardless of your ridiculous attempts at shutting it down.  This is a public forum not associated with some university teaching course like you're trying to make it sound like LOL that is so embarrassing.  We're all here to SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES and knowledge regardless of what the topic it is.  So if you want to participate with your experience like I first asked you nicely and politely, feel free.  You don't want to, that's fine too.  But no more off topic or convoluted misunderstanding or purposeful diversion that you're clearly doing, and I will either ignore it or deal with it in a certain way.  But don't EVER think you have any say in what anyone wants to post about and get off your high #$%$&$% horse.

Back to topic for anyone who might not have known how anything metallic or even electronic device can affect your magnetic compass, here's a great and short video that explains it pretty well.  Watch what happens when he places a pair of channel locks next to it.

In the bottom pic, you can see how close the 741xs is to the compass but I haven't checked it yet to see if it has any effect on it.  I will be doing it soon, though.

Another part I mentioned that I bet a lot of you guys do is zip through areas that are marked bellow 20ft.  On the 741xs, the white water is above 20ft deep and the blue is anywhere below 20ft which could include areas that are around 1ft +/-.

In this pic, it's actually a marked channel with a  red and green buoy so you would assume it's safe to cut through at any time, and I almost always do.

QiiGlh2.jpg?1

If you notice the GPS depth vs the smartcraft depth, they're pretty darn close (only a difference of 9 inches) but the depths marked on the GPS are at low tide, so they are worst case scenario.  Still, it's important to be aware of how deep it is on as many displays that you might have.  I have also compared many low spots in different areas to be sure that the ones on the GPS are actually lower than what they really are, even at low tide and so far, the ones I have checked are in fact marked lower by about 6-10 inches. 

That channel is also marked for the Boston ferry that comes flying through it so with the draft on that thing, it should be deep enough.  I'll show other shallow examples I travel through as soon as I collect more pics.

20 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

For the poster that said his GPS acts up if he goes over 20 MPH.  Most likely cause is that your transducer is loose.  If it works fine while the boat isn't moving, it's usually not the machine. 

And he has a practically brand new 257ssx.  Probably a loose wire connection.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

No, because your answers are all convoluted and you don't even know how to quote individual sentences to respond to them separately like I do to make it clear and you're either still having a hard time figuring out what i'm saying or your playing dumb on purpose because you're pisssed off I opened a thread that you don't like and want to destroy.  Guess what, it ain't gonna happen.  Learn how to quote certain quotes (just like I did above) and answer them properly and maybe things will start making sense.

Not even worth a waste of my valuable time responding to this @#$%@#.

Listen to me, and this is literally the FINAL #$%$&$% time I'm telling you this; NO ONE, except the moderators?owners on this forum can tell me or anyone else for that matter what thread to open and judge any experience of any kind which you're obviously a very bad judge of that and you only have a vendetta against me which is quite obvious and you're trying to do it here and again, I'm gonna tell you it... ain't gonna happen.  When I hear anything that resembles censorship of any kind, especially coming from wannabe forum dictator, I don't take that @#$%@# lightly.  I've taught many seminars on many subjects from building houses to machinery to shop safety to several forms of building certain things like jigs, home-made tool to even guitars and all sorts of other unique items like carving and the 741xs IS MY GPS unit that I USE EVERY TIME I'M OUT ON MY BOART and I will continue to share my experience with it and what I know of it regardless of your ridiculous attempts at shutting it down.  This is a public forum not associated with some university teaching course like you're trying to make it sound like LOL that is so embarrassing.  We're all here to SHARE OUR EXPERIENCES and knowledge regardless of what the topic it is.  So if you want to participate with your experience like I first asked you nicely and politely, feel free.  You don't want to, that's fine too.  But no more off topic or convoluted misunderstanding or purposeful diversion that you're clearly doing, and I will either ignore it or deal with it in a certain way.  But don't EVER think you have any say in what anyone wants to post about and get off your high #$%$&$% horse.

You are positively right, you keep on going..................... 

21 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Most likely cause is that your transducer is loose, or in bad location. If sonar's mounting location is affected by too much water turbulence and/or air bubbles at speed it will return "noise" data and not the actual depth info.

21 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Could be, ( to above ) if the numbers start flashing that is a sign that too many air bubble are forming around the transducer.  A fish finder transducer is more sensitive than just a depth one. Ask your self, where are the two mounted in relation to each other. The other could be getting less air. You may want to look at the instructions and see if its mounted where they want it.