tpenfield

327 SSX vs. 337 SSX vs. 347 SSX Differences???

Greetings, I'm a new member to the Chaparral Forum. . .

I have been armchair shopping the big SSX boats over the past few days.  I see that there are the 3 models mentioned in the title (327, 337, 347)  It looks like the only difference in the hull dimensions are the length.

327 is 32' 6"

337 & 347 are 33' 6"

Beam (10') and deadrise (22˚) are the same for all 3 models

Just wondering where the additional foot came in when Chap went to the 337?  Is it in the swim platform? or in the hull itself? 

TIA for any insight.

2 hours ago, tpenfield said:

Greetings, I'm a new member to the Chaparral Forum. . .

I have been armchair shopping the big SSX boats over the past few days.  I see that there are the 3 models mentioned in the title (327, 337, 347)  It looks like the only difference in the hull dimensions are the length.

327 is 32' 6"

337 & 347 are 33' 6"

Beam (10') and deadrise (22˚) are the same for all 3 models

Just wondering where the additional foot came in when Chap went to the 337?  Is it in the swim platform? or in the hull itself? 

TIA for any insight.

So this is my guess and only a guess, some others might know more and it's relatively easy to find out just by calling and asking a dealer.  But the 327 and 337 are essentially the same exact boat and overall dimensions because for some stupid reason (although some claim the swim platform on the 337 is one foot longer but I don't see it), when they first built the ssx line and the 327 came in, they never included the swim platform.  For example, my 276ssx you would think is 27.6ft long when it's actually 28ft-10" just 2" short of 29 ft.  So the renamed it the 287 ssx now where the "7" comes from beats the heII out of me!  And now it's the 297ssx which I have no idea what they did to get that number.  Must be LOA increase. 

But they might have added the 1 additional foot to the 337's swim platform (but I doubt it, sp looked fine and it was really in the complete LOA or it was just to give it a new name) and the difference between the 337 and 347 is nothing but gadgetry and us fancier shtuuufff.  Fancy push-buttons and the helm station instead of rocker switches and more stainless steel grab handles, and bit larger rooftop with a sun or moon roof whichever one is the soup de hour and that's about it.

The 347 they went to the double MFDC at the helm and lost all analogue displays and everything is on those screens, from GPS to engine info etc.  No more gauges of any kind.

All three boats are very hard to trailer just FYI and the only one I even attempted was the 327 but i'm sure eventually I would've gotten used to it, but still, a very large boat so you'd be slipping that thing as most who own them do.  Although there was one fella here who would trailer it with his wife every Sunday to the lake.  He built a special front ladder and welded it on so he can remove the windlass as he's winching the boat up as well as get on the boat faster.  So that's really about it as far as I know.

BTW - I currently have a Formula 330 Sun Sport (big cuddy cabin boat)

Looking to get a mid-cabin bowrider in the next few years.

I have been eyeing  . . .

Cruisers Sport Series 328/338

Formula 330 CBR or 350 CBR

Chaparral 327/337 SSX

The Cruisers seems to have the best mid-cabin layout (IMO), Formula probably the worst, but do-able.  Chappy maybe in between the two (?)

Only do an overnight 1-2 times a year.  Mostly day boating and doing the sandbar thing around Buzzards Bay & Marthas Vineyard.  Both areas get choppy in the afternoon, so I liked the fact that the Chap (and Cruisers) have a 22˚ deadrise. ( Formula is 21˚)  . . . my F-330 SS is 20˚ deadrise, which is a wee bit flat for the afternoon chop.

So, any comments about the different SSX models or comparisons to the other boats mentioned are welcome.  Thank you!!!

6 minutes ago, Hatem said:

So this is my guess and only a guess, some others might know more and it's relatively easy to find out just by calling and asking a dealer.  But the 327 and 337 are essentially the same exact boat and overall dimensions because for some stupid reason (although some claim the swim platform on the 337 is one foot longer but I don't see it), when they first built the ssx line and the 327 came in, they never included the swim platform.  For example, my 276ssx you would think is 27.6ft long when it's actually 28ft-10" just 2" short of 29 ft.  So the renamed it the 287 ssx now where the "7" comes from beats the heII out of me!  And now it's the 297ssx which I have no idea what they did to get that number.  Must be LOA increase. 

But they might have added the 1 additional foot to the 337's swim platform (but I doubt it, sp looked fine and it was really in the complete LOA or it was just to give it a new name) and the difference between the 337 and 347 is nothing but gadgetry and us fancier shtuuufff.  Fancy push-buttons and the helm station instead of rocker switches and more stainless steel grab handles, and bit larger rooftop with a sun or moon roof whichever one is the soup de hour and that's about it.

The 347 they went to the double MFDC at the helm and lost all analogue displays and everything is on those screens, from GPS to engine info etc.  No more gauges of any kind.

All three boats are very hard to trailer just FYI and the only one I even attempted was the 327 but i'm sure eventually I would've gotten used to it, but still, a very large boat so you'd be slipping that thing as most who own them do.  Although there was one fella here who would trailer it with his wife every Sunday to the lake.  He built a special front ladder and welded it on so he can remove the windlass as he's winching the boat up as well as get on the boat faster.  So that's really about it as far as I know.

Interesting point . . . I have seen some boats that state their model number more like the hull length and no include the LOA with the platform.  It would be nice if all 3 models were the exact same hull.  Not sure why Chap would go through a tooling change so quick, if they did.

I have a mooring, so the boat hauler comes in May to launch and then in October to retrieve. 

I may take a look at a few in the coastal MA/CT/RI/NH area.  The one listing in Hingham looks dirty, but I do have soap and wash cloths :D

39 minutes ago, tpenfield said:

I thought it was you I talked to a few years ago about a Formula 330 or 350 and the throttle got stuck in forward while trying to slip it and it almost turned into a disaster but was put under control, thanks to a solid dock (I think) :haha-7383: but I just looked at your post count and it couldn't have been you since you're new here, and a local Cape Codian so welcome to the forum!  I trailer my 276ssx every once in a while to the Cape so when you get your Chaparral 347ssx we'll hook up for sure, only if you're up for it! 

Chaparral 327/337 SSX 

The Cruisers seems to have the best mid-cabin layout (IMO), Formula probably the worst, but do-able.  Chappy maybe in between the two (?)

All excellent boats and the one good thing you'll get from "most" members here is non-partiality to Chaparral, even though we all own one loll. 

As far as your examples, I've seen how roomy the Cruisers line is and to me, they literary give you the best space for dollar.  As far as ride, comfort level etc. I couldn't tell you but I also like almost all the Formulas, especially the crossover line.  The 350CBR is a dream.  An outstanding boat but I do think it's beam is slightly less than the others or it's an illusion.  I speak not from looking at numbers, but mostly from climbing into each of them and feeling the way they feel.

A fella in our marina (Hawthorne Brewer) in Salem, MA, went form a Sea Ray 260 (I think) to a Cruisers 350. Let me tell you, in all the 35ft boats, I have NEVER, ever, ever seen a boat with a beam you could fit 3 elephants across.  And the cabin is unbelievably spacious and well-designed.  But this is a cruiser and not a crossover so....maybe some differences?  Can't find the pic ATM of it's asss end doesn't really give you the true impression of its massive beam.

Only do an overnight 1-2 times a year.  Mostly day boating and doing the sandbar thing around Buzzards Bay & Marthas Vineyard.  Both areas get choppy in the afternoon, so I liked the fact that the Chap (and Cruisers) have a 22˚ deadrise. ( Formula is 21˚)  . . . my F-330 SS is 20˚ deadrise, which is a wee bit flat for the afternoon chop.

So, any comments about the different SSX models or comparisons to the other boats mentioned are welcome.  Thank you!!!

Another member @Exoset traded or sold his 2006 Chaparral Signature 330 for an almost brand new Sea Ray 2014 310 Sundancer and he said the biggest difference he noticed was the 21˚ deadrise on that boat compared to the 22˚ on the Chap made he Sea Ray just cut through heavy chop A LOT better to the extent where it was very noticeable to him. Soothing to onside especially if you're in the famous south Cape and Buzzard's Bay and it's wrath! 

Here's the link to that part he spoke of just in case you're interested in reading it.  He mentions it on the last page 66 and he also shows what modifications he did to his Chaparral which included removing the radar arch and installing a whole new hardtop!  That part is probably 6-10 pages prior to the last one.

58 minutes ago, tpenfield said:

Looking to get a mid-cabin bowrider in the next few years.

Chaparral 327/337 SSX

Hey, I know you from the iboats forums, right? A long time Formula owner. You're top of the Navy there, like a Supreme Commander or something, from your extensive participation. Welcome to the group.

Best guy to talk to on this forum about (at least) the 327ssx is @delaney who owns a 2012? I believe and has had it for a while and seems very happy with it and can probably give you all the specific details on it.  He'll get the tag and respond at some point soon.

But here is the sequence of my almost collision with a 327ssx just outside of Boston Harbor channel.  I spotted the sucker about 1/3 mile away and caught up to him and while doing 35mph on my own, trying to hold on the steering wheel since I was on his starboard side and he was slowly turning to that side, it was close but in the end I could only get these pics! :D  Who knows, it could've been a 337ssx but it did look like a sea trial with the two guys in it so who knows?  I haven't seen one lately for sale around the big city, have you?  Or was that you in the boat? :haha-7383:

Look at this guy, who the heII does he think he is? :D Let's get a better look!

fhvkfSr.jpg

0DEMBET.jpg

Snm5Otc.jpg

GREAT-LOOKING boat no question about it.  This was my & my wife's first choice because of the half/cabin but more importantly for us are the bow seats, so having the best of boat worlds is the best layout IMO which these boats offer.  But not just cost swayed us since we didn't want to finance it and since we were also newbies, we thought this might've been a bit too much boat to start learning on.  So we found the 2010 276ssx and it fit all our requirements to the point that we've been extremely happy with it. Especially being able to trailer it comfortably thanks to a rather very large and powerful truck.

k640Xoz.jpg

Did get a smile from the captain and all was good after that.

F0DZYpJ.jpg

4 hours ago, Toddavid said:

Hey, I know you from the iboats forums, right? A long time Formula owner. You're top of the Navy there, like a Supreme Commander or something, from your extensive participation. Welcome to the group.

Yes, iBoats . . .  I think I'm up over 12,000 post there.  Just finished a 10-month long thread about making an extended swim platform for my Formula.

I'll see if @delaney chimes in about his 327 SSX.  Chaparral has always been one of my more favored brands.  It came in as runner up when I bought my Formula 242 about 15 years ago.  Decision mode on a next boat is still a ways off, since my piggy bank is only partially full of coinage. :P

The 337 and 347 are identical, they changed all their SSX lineup names in 2019...267 to 277, 287 to 297 etc even though they didn’t actually make any changes.

The older model 327 does have a different layout, hard to describe but just look at some pics between a 327 and either 337/347 and you’ll get the idea.

As I go to look at SSX boats of any of the 3 models, I guess I'll bring my tape measure to get a few dimensions to verify & compare.  I do like the fact that the 347 SSX is only 33' 6", as I won't need to bother the harbor master about more mooring space :unsure:

only difference i see from my model year vs newer ones (aside from the dashboard and color scheme) is the full beam or near full beam rear facing seat.  they eliminated the port side anchor locker.  i keep fins / snorkels and my rear anchor in there.  one of the popular things on Lake Mich is to anchor slightly offshore - cant really beach the boat as sometimes the sandbars & waves are too frequent and you will never get the boat off the beach.  also, who wants to scratch up the bottom anyways.   when areas around the sand dunes get crowded, you need a stern anchor to lock you in.   not sure where you stow that in the new design but i am sure that there is plenty of spots in the main cabin.  having a full beam rear seat is nice and probably a good tradeoff.  i think Chap should on these larger models take a page from Formula and make an extended swim platform - they are calling the boat a 347 but its a foot shorter.  extend that platform another foot and make it a true 34' boat

@delaney  How have you found the ride in the choppy stuff 3-4 footers w/ 20+ kts winds?  I'm hoping a 22˚ hull will ride a bit better than my current 20˚ hull.

I think I have found the difference between the 327 and the 337 . . . The hatches on the swim platform are a bit further away from the rear facing seat on the 337, but still the same size.  Which to me indicates that they stretched the swim platform another foot to get to the 33'6" LOA.  I would assume the hull itself stayed the same.

If the swim platform is in fact stretched a foot, it might explain why an extended platform is not needed.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:06 PM, tpenfield said:

@delaney  How have you found the ride in the choppy stuff 3-4 footers w/ 20+ kts winds?  I'm hoping a 22˚ hull will ride a bit better than my current 20˚ hull.

I think I have found the difference between the 327 and the 337 . . . The hatches on the swim platform are a bit further away from the rear facing seat on the 337, but still the same size.  Which to me indicates that they stretched the swim platform another foot to get to the 33'6" LOA.  I would assume the hull itself stayed the same.

If the swim platform is in fact stretched a foot, it might explain why an extended platform is not needed.

i would say, quite well.  3-4 footers for those on the Great Lakes are different as they are on top of each other and very steep.  i will come in when it gets like that but for sea worthy its solid.  i tested my boat in 6-9 footers and i was not at the helm for it - the captain 1/4 the waves and it sliced nicely but both my wife and i requested we turn around and in a larger set like those the rear seat and low swim platform is something to be careful of as you come about in large waves so you don't get caught by one.  if you do the wave can and will hit that platform and spill into the main cabin - didn't happen at that time but i have been slow in coming about and had that happen to me once.  i execute those turns carefully but quickly as it was a lesson i plan on not relearning. 

1 hour ago, delaney said:

the captain 1/4 the waves and it sliced nicely but both my wife and i requested we turn around and in a larger set like those the rear seat and low swim platform is something to be careful of as you come about in large waves so you don't get caught by one.  if you do the wave can and will hit that platform and spill into the main cabin - didn't happen at that time but i have been slow in coming about and had that happen to me once.  i execute those turns carefully but quickly as it was a lesson i plan on not relearning.

Are you saying that if you're not facing the large waves head on as they're coming towards your bow, but instead moving in the same direction as the waves which would be slamming the stern on the boat is that the water would easily come in over the swim platform all the way into the cabin?  Isn't there a step-up form the swim platform to the deck specifically to prevent that from happening?  Granted it's only about 4"-6" so it might not be adequate?

@Curt, maybe that is why Chaparral raises the swim platform you talk about being one of only two small changes you would make to the 307.  This might be a good thing to have even if it's uncomfortable to walk up the ladder or walk on and off the decks to the swim platforms?

3 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Are you saying that if you're not facing the large waves head on as they're coming towards your bow, but instead moving in the same direction as the waves which would be slamming the stern on the boat is that the water would easily come in over the swim platform all the way into the cabin?  Isn't there a step-up form the swim platform to the deck specifically to prevent that from happening?  Granted it's only about 4"-6" so it might not be adequate?

@Curt, maybe that is why Chaparral raise the swim platform you talk about being one of only two small changes you would make to the 307.  This might be a good thing to have even if it's uncomfortable to walk up the ladder or walk on and off the decks to the swim platforms?

No idea, but I doubt it.  Take a look at the Sunesta 264 or the larger Sunesta that was discontinued a year or so back.  These two sit on the water line.  In my opinion the two issues with the 307/317 SSX swim platform are (1) too high off the water line; about 8-inches; (2) not wide/deep enough - doesn't fully cover the outdrives; need about 8-inches more width/depth.

no - my platform fully covers the engines with room to spare - what i am saying in following seas on waves greater than 5 foot and are spaced very close together you need to be careful when coming about.  you need to watch that a wave doesn't break on your platform.  if that happens you run the risk of flooding your engine compartment.  no design other than removing the platform would stop this.  but yes, i also agree that another 8" to a foot of platform would be great as well.  Ocean waves are typically farther apart so driving straight on may not be too much to ask - but when the waves are narrow and tall you cannot head straight into them you need to 1/4 them or you will slam your bow down and then the next wave will get you wet.  when its 3 foot or bigger we just go into our connecting lake and enjoy the day - i would do the same thing if i had a 50' boat

Image result for lake macatawa

2 hours ago, delaney said:

no - my platform fully covers the engines with room to spare - what i am saying in following seas on waves greater than 5 foot and are spaced very close together you need to be careful when coming about.  you need to watch that a wave doesn't break on your platform.  if that happens you run the risk of flooding your engine compartment.  no design other than removing the platform would stop this.  but yes, i also agree that another 8" to a foot of platform would be great as well.  Ocean waves are typically farther apart so driving straight on may not be too much to ask - but when the waves are narrow and tall you cannot head straight into them you need to 1/4 them or you will slam your bow down and then the next wave will get you wet.  when its 3 foot or bigger we just go into our connecting lake and enjoy the day - i would do the same thing if i had a 50' boat

Image result for lake macatawa

I’m curious.

On the 327, does the swim platform sit on the water line or substantially above it like the 307?

Great to hear and know the 327 covers the drives. Sure wish it did on the 307.

P. S. I’m not posting in response to how you turn, or differences in wave sets. I get that, and your posts are clear to me. I’m just curious about the swim platform (a.k.a. maybe I bought the wrong boat - my wife is frowning - LOL).  

no  problem, i would say that the swim platform sits about 6" above the waterline.  my bottom paint runs about 2" below where the white hull and blue gelcoat line is and runs about 2" above the top of the sterndrives.  the platform bumps up a bit from exhaust ports so approx 6" above waterline.  

40 minutes ago, delaney said:

no  problem, i would say that the swim platform sits about 6" above the waterline.  my bottom paint runs about 2" below where the white hull and blue gelcoat line is and runs about 2" above the top of the sterndrives.  the platform bumps up a bit from exhaust ports so approx 6" above waterline.  

Thank you. The 307/317 is about the same height off the water.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:49 AM, delaney said:

if that happens you run the risk of flooding your engine compartment. 

The reason I asked is because you said "cabin" not engine compartment in your original post.   That made me wonder if 6 footers in following seas would actually make their way to the cabin.  Proximity of engine room is much closer.  Unless by "cabin" you meant all areas below including engine room.

I've been caught in 6-8 footers that were spaced apart enough so that I was able to quarter them and it worked really nicely.  Even with good throttle control, you still get a vicious pounding when that bow slams back down the wave, regardless if you roll the top perfectly.  It's not fun.

the cabin below and engine compartment is fairly well sealed - any wave that caught you from behind would flow through the walkway on starboard side and enter the main seating area / cockpit.  the topside is free draining and works well - but a large wave is a lot of water - mostly when you slow down from plane to idle too fast your wake catches up to you and splashes over the platform - water doesn't reach the cockpit from that but it comes close