steele153

soft deck

On 5/7/2020 at 7:06 PM, Hatem said:

Yes, but it's also a layer of adhesive to bond the stringers to the hull as well and not just rely on the tabbing and glassing that you'll need to do as well.  How much it actually helps as a shock absorber is debatable, but I'm sure there is some value to it.

No, you really want to remove all that old FG and grind all the surfaces down nice and smooth and clean them up with acetone so you can tab in all the edges of the stringers to the hull and then glass them with new material so they can be solid and bonded to the hull.  Otherwise they'll just float in the old FB and that's really not the right way to do it.

Are all the stringers rotted, or just a few sections here and there?  Hard to tell from the pics.

The stringers were pretty much toast all the way back to the rear bulk head. Like I said, I removed the all of the stringer and there is form on the bottom of them.  I saw on a you tube video that a guy posted. He said you need the foam between the hull and stringer so the hull can flex a bit under power. If it can't flex it could crack. He said that you shouldn't attached the stringer right on the hull. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, steele153 said:

The stringers were pretty much toast all the way back to the rear bulk head. Like I said, I removed the all of the stringer and there is form on the bottom of them.  I saw on a you tube video that a guy posted. He said you need the foam between the hull and stringer so the hull can flex a bit under power. If it can't flex it could crack. He said that you shouldn't attached the stringer right on the hull. 

That's true, but they still needs to be adhered to the hull.  In other words, the stringers need that cushion between them and the hull, but that cushion still needs to have adhesive qualities to it.  For example when you glue 2 pieces of wood together and you use an adhesive caulking so that it flexes with the change in wood's expansion and contraction due to changes in moisture content in the air or on it as well as temperature changes, then you have a flexible joint yet one that is glued together.  That's what you need to do with the stringers to the hull.  They need to be glued, but that glue (or foam) has to have flexibility in it to allow for that movement.  If you only put something in there that has cushion but no adhesion, then your stringers are basically floating and that is a no-no.

I used foam in my Sea Ray rebuild. It worked excellent for bedding the stringers, before glassing over them.

Would love to see more pics and can help point you in the right direction...