EliW

Does bottom paint look different / is it ugly?

20 minutes ago, drewm3i said:

I would connect it directly to the large gauge wire that goes to the battery negative. 

You could!! And there is nothing wrong with that, just saying. But for the sake of others, if the load is high "yes" you may what to do that. But he is installing LED lights, so may not be needed due to the fact we don't know the load. It could be low! He needs to do the math between load and the wire needed.

But that is a good point.

6 hours ago, Iggy said:

You could!! And there is nothing wrong with that, just saying. But for the sake of others, if the load is high "yes" you may what to do that. But he is installing LED lights, so may not be needed due to the fact we don't know the load. It could be low! He needs to do the math between load and the wire needed.

But that is a good point.

Ive been meaning to add up the total load, I’m adding a lot probably around 450 to 600 watts in total 

im gonna add it all up and find the exact total watts volts etc in the morning 

3 minutes ago, EliW said:

Ive been meaning to add up the total load, I’m adding a lot probably around 450 to 600 watts in total 

600 watts=50 amps @ 12vdc. You're going to need a whole battery bank to power that for any length of time. No offense meant, but this seems a little bit of a silly idea.

To carry that kind of current, you're going to need a whole additional switch panel with probably 2 or 4 gauge wire wired directly to the battery switch. The individual lights can then wire into this switch panel. In short, if you have to ask how to do this, you probably should have it done professionally.

8 hours ago, EliW said:

im gonna add it all up and find the exact total watts volts etc in the morning 

I hate to ask this question, is your math right on the watts? I thought you were installing LED lights. And yes, you will need a few batteries to keep this load up. You may want to come off the battery directly. I would agree with Drew on 40 to 50 amps. 

I must have missed this but why are you needing to add so much lighting? 

16 hours ago, drewm3i said:

600 watts=50 amps @ 12vdc. You're going to need a whole battery bank to power that for any length of time. No offense meant, but this seems a little bit of a silly idea.

To carry that kind of current, you're going to need a whole additional switch panel with probably 2 or 4 gauge wire wired directly to the battery switch. The individual lights can then wire into this switch panel. In short, if you have to ask how to do this, you probably should have it done professionally.

8 hours ago, Iggy said:

I hate to ask this question, is your math right on the watts? I thought you were installing LED lights. And yes, you will need a few batteries to keep this load up. You may want to come off the battery directly. I would agree with Drew on 40 to 50 amps. 

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

I must have missed this but why are you needing to add so much lighting? 

Yikes, comes out to 552 watts and 41.5 amps

It may be 456 watts and 37.9 amps if I don’t add led strips.

what am I gonna need to do for all of this? 

Edit: at 40 amps at 25 feet i should be good with 10 gauge wire and that’s for all the loads combined 

YZzqG8N.png

this if for 10 percent voltage drop

7 minutes ago, EliW said:

Edit: at 40 amps at 25 feet i should be good with 10 gauge wire and that’s for all the loads combined 

YZzqG8N.png

this if for 10 percent voltage drop

I think I would take one or two light out? I have a funny feeling that your 25 feet is only the distance from battery to light.Yes?? Which means you need 50 feet of wire at AWG 6 size to carry that load. Never mind adding another battery to your bank. 

1 minute ago, Iggy said:

I think I would take one or two light out? I have a funny feeling that your 25 feet is only the distance from battery to light.Yes?? Which means you need 50 feet of wire at AWG 6 size to carry that load. Never mind adding another battery to your bank. 

I agree, it’s about 10 to fifteen feet for the positive to reach my switch panel and about the same for the negatives to reach my bus bar, that for loads in the tower, the switch panel to the on off switch is 8 to 10 feet and the second bus bar to the original one is about 3 to 4 feet of wire depending on where I end up putting it.

I have a 2019 21ft H2O Sport in the lime green with black bottom and man is she pretty. We get compliments every time we are on it. Ours was painted while being built so not sure about the look when you have it painted later.

20 hours ago, RappyChappy said:

I have a 2019 21ft H2O Sport in the lime green with black bottom and man is she pretty. We get compliments every time we are on it. Ours was painted while being built so not sure about the look when you have it painted later.

Congrats man, mines also lime green! If you have any pictures of your boat I’d love to see them. Maybe it’ll give me a better idea of what I’m in for.

@Iggy @drewm3i do you guys know of any switch panels that have big enough wiring to handle 550 watts and 41 amps? I’m having trouble finding one 

1 hour ago, EliW said:

@Iggy @drewm3i do you guys know of any switch panels that have big enough wiring to handle 550 watts and 41 amps? I’m having trouble finding one 

I don'y know exactly what you want, but https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?name=blue-sea-systems-dc-branch-circuit-breaker-panel&path=-1|328|2290000|2290006&id=1055764

If nothing else, Defender has a lot to choose from!

On 7/18/2019 at 4:01 PM, EliW said:

Edit: at 40 amps at 25 feet i should be good with 10 gauge wire and that’s for all the loads combined ... this if for 10 percent voltage drop

Assuming that you have added all up correctly, the 552 watts is a lot of lumens. There is no direct relation between watts and lumens, all depends on the particular bulb efficiency, but a rule of thumb for comparison is: 1 watt = 10 lumens for incandescent bulbs and 1 watt = 100 lumens for LED bulbs. This would suggest that your LED installation will generate 55,000 lumens of light. Are you trying to spot the boat from an orbit? It will be one bright boat that, at 40+A of current, eats the batteries for a snack!

On the DC wire size: don't forget to count the entire wire length (round trip). If the device is 25 feet from the source, the wire length for size calculation is 50 feet.

41 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Assuming that you have added all up correctly, the 552 watts is a lot of lumens. There is no direct relation between watts and lumens, all depends on the particular bulb efficiency, but a rule of thumb for comparison is: 1 watt = 10 lumens for incandescent bulbs and 1 watt = 100 lumens for LED bulbs. This would suggest that your LED installation will generate 55,000 lumens of light. Are you trying to spot the boat from an orbit? It will be one bright boat that, at 40+A of current, eats the batteries for a snack!

On the DC wire size: don't forget to count the entire wire length (round trip). If the device is 25 feet from the source, the wire length for size calculation is 50 feet.

Oh well this is over 5 separate units, 2 halo lights, a 32-42 inch light bar, underwater led, pa speaker and about 55 feet of led strip, all of the lights are rgb and I plan on getting more underwater lights so that number may go up. Are there any switch panels where the power doesn’t go through the switch panel but instead the panel I guess “intercepts “ the wire and can turn it off and on?

edit: 6 units, may go up to 7-9

I think I’m gonna go with a single switch, there much cheaper and can handle 20 amps each

2 hours ago, EliW said:

Oh well this is over 5 separate units, 2 halo lights, a 32-42 inch light bar, underwater led, pa speaker and about 55 feet of led strip, all of the lights are rgb and I plan on getting more underwater lights so that number may go up. Are there any switch panels where the power doesn’t go through the switch panel but instead the panel I guess “intercepts “ the wire and can turn it off and on?

edit: 6 units, may go up to 7-9

I don't understand when you say intercepts?  Are you talking about a relay?

19 hours ago, Iggy said:

I don't understand when you say intercepts?  Are you talking about a relay?

Well what I meant was power doesn’t go through the panel wiring accept the panel mechanically turns the power on and off by being spliced into the power line.. kinda hard to explain.

i figured everything out though! I bought a fuse/ground box by blue seas and individual on off switches that are rated for 20 amps each so now I can wire the switches after the fuse box before the load or lights.

41 minutes ago, EliW said:

Well what I meant was power doesn’t go through the panel wiring accept the panel mechanically turns the power on and off by being spliced into the power line.. kinda hard to explain.

i figured everything out though! I bought a fuse/ground box by blue seas and individual on off switches that are rated for 20 amps each so now I can wire the switches after the fuse box before the load or lights.

Yep!