Sign in to follow this  
The Great Escape II

Yacht Device install on a 2005 Volvo GXI-E

Yacht Device install on 2005 Volvo GXI-E went very easy. Received product yesterday, already have a NMMA 2000 set up for my electronics. Update to the device went as planned (1.32v) and the MPI configuration. Now I can see more engine data and have it on my Simrad GO 7 XSE. Here are some links of the product and pictures of the install. 

These are the two items I purchased. 

https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

17 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

Yacht Device install on 2005 Volvo GXI-E went very easy. Received product yesterday, already have a NMMA 2000 set up for my electronics. Update to the device went as planned (1.32v) and the MPI configuration. Now I can see more engine data and have it on my Simrad GO 7 XSE. Here are some links of the product and pictures of the install. 

These are the two items I purchased. 

https://www.yachtd.com/products/engine_gateway.html

Nice.  I like the way you keep your engine and bilge super clean and everything looks like it's in mint condition for a 2005 Signature 240.  I try to do the same myself.

But let me ask you because I was considering this and even VesselView (although helm space is super challenging in my case) but what advantage do you really, really gain by adding this device that essentially gives you what you get on your Smartcraft?  I notice a few things that would be good to know that are NOT on display on the Smartcraft such as "engine oil temperature" and "battery voltage and current" which is probably a really good thing to have.  These are also some of the other items I noticed that you would additionally get:

• Fuel delivery pressure
  • Percent engine load
  • Percent engine torque
  • Exhaust gas temperature
  • Transmission current gear

Would you actually check through that list on a certain basis or is it more for when there might be a problem that it will be easier to diagnose by looking through the items? 

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

Nice.  I like the way you keep your engine and bilge super clean and everything looks like it's in mint condition for a 2005 Signature 240.  I try to do the same myself.

But let me ask you because I was considering this and even VesselView (although helm space is super challenging in my case) but what advantage do you really, really gain by adding this device that essentially gives you what you get on your Smartcraft?  I notice a few things that would be good to know that are NOT on display on the Smartcraft such as "engine oil temperature" and "battery voltage and current" which is probably a really good thing to have.  These are also some of the other items I noticed that you would additionally get:

• Fuel delivery pressure
  • Percent engine load
  • Percent engine torque
  • Exhaust gas temperature
  • Transmission current gear

Would you actually check through that list on a certain basis or is it more for when there might be a problem that it will be easier to diagnose by looking through the items? 

Hatem,

My boat doesn't have Smartcraft or Vessel View since it's a Volvo motor.  So none of the functionality of that system was available for my Chaparral.  One reason for this upgrade is the system can record CAN events so I can pull that info with a simple CAN viewer.  Second, my motor and most of that vintage with Volvo had very limited info due to the technology at the time and not having NMMA 2000 capability.  With Yacht Devices they came out with a solution to retrieve this data.   

https://www.yachtd.com/products/can_view.html

Also if you have a Mercruiser this is cheaper then adding Smartcraft.

https://www.yachtd.com/news/mercury_smartcraft.html

24 minutes ago, The Great Escape II said:

Hatem,

My boat doesn't have Smartcraft or Vessel View since it's a Volvo motor.  So none of the functionality of that system was available for my Chaparral.  One reason for this upgrade is the system can record CAN events so I can pull that info with a simple CAN viewer.  Second, my motor and most of that vintage with Volvo had very limited info due to the technology at the time and not having NMMA 2000 capability.  With Yacht Devices they came out with a solution to retrieve this data.   

Also if you have a Mercruiser this is cheaper then adding Smartcraft.

https://www.yachtd.com/news/mercury_smartcraft.html

I lot cheaper! I just needed the gateway. I can display everything on helm and more other than how much fuel is in the tank. If needed and there cheaper, you could replace all the gauges with LED screens that fit into the same holes in the helm.

15 hours ago, The Great Escape II said:

Hatem,

Interesting.  Well I have Smartcraft and I also have a Volvo and my boat is only 5 years newer than yours, so maybe in the interim of that span of time, Chaparral introduced Smartcraft into its boats to help with some of those functions (albeit quite limited to the essentials) but I did notice that there are quite a few additional pieces of information that you get out of this Yacht device.  Looking at these features alone without the addition of Gateway, I can see some that show up on my smartcraft and some that don't that I wouldn't mind having.  And if my Garmin 741xs doesn't support it and this feature is only for Raymarine MFDS, I can easily set it up on my Samsung SP or even a tablet.  So one has several options.

Picture 2. Raymarine c125 MFD with Volvo Penta D4-260A-B data

Data you may get on the chart plotter depends on the engine controller and the number of installed sensors. Legacy chart plotters may not support display of all data types.

• RPM (engine revolutions)
  • Total engine hours
  • Coolant temperature
  • Battery voltage and current
  • Alternator potential and current - This is a good one to have, to see if your alternator is putting out what it's supposed to.
  • Engine and transmission warnings and alarms
  • Coolant pressure - This would be something invaluable as it would relate to an impeller going bad ahead of time.
  • Boost pressure - No idea what that is?  But would love to know.
  • Engine oil pressure
  • Engine oil temperature
  • Fuel tank level and tank capacity
  • Fuel rate
  • Fuel delivery pressure - Definitely something good to have
  • Percent engine load - This is new to me, would need to know more info as to what is normal load for example to be able to judge
  • Percent engine torque - Also a good one
  • Exhaust gas temperature - As a guy who is glued to his temperature guage, this might be an added obsession but I believe necessary and important to know
  • Transmission current gear - This is new and hardly something people really think of and might be relegated to certain types of engines, but I like it.
  • Transmission oil pressure
  • Transmission oil temperature
  • Multisensor data (EVC-A engines)
  • Engine tilt/trim
  • Intake manifold temperature

34 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Interesting.  Well I have Smartcraft and I also have a Volvo and my boat is only 5 years newer than yours, so maybe in the interim of that span of time, Chaparral introduced Smartcraft into its boats to help with some of those functions (albeit quite limited to the essentials) but I did notice that there are quite a few additional pieces of information that you get out of this Yacht device.  Looking at these features alone without the addition of Gateway, I can see some that show up on my smartcraft and some that don't that I wouldn't mind having.  And if my Garmin 741xs doesn't support it and this feature is only for Raymarine MFDS, I can easily set it up on my Samsung SP or even a tablet.  So one has several options.

Picture 2. Raymarine c125 MFD with Volvo Penta D4-260A-B data

Data you may get on the chart plotter depends on the engine controller and the number of installed sensors. Legacy chart plotters may not support display of all data types.

• RPM (engine revolutions)
  • Total engine hours
  • Coolant temperature
  • Battery voltage and current
  • Alternator potential and current - This is a good one to have, to see if your alternator is putting out what it's supposed to.
  • Engine and transmission warnings and alarms
  • Coolant pressure - This would be something invaluable as it would relate to an impeller going bad ahead of time.
  • Boost pressure - No idea what that is?  But would love to know. This is for turbocharged and supercharged engines; reads the pressure forcing air into the engine.
  • Engine oil pressure
  • Engine oil temperature
  • Fuel tank level and tank capacity
  • Fuel rate
  • Fuel delivery pressure - Definitely something good to have
  • Percent engine load - This is new to me, would need to know more info as to what is normal load for example to be able to judge
  • Percent engine torque - Also a good one
  • Exhaust gas temperature - As a guy who is glued to his temperature guage, this might be an added obsession but I believe necessary and important to know
  • Transmission current gear - This is new and hardly something people really think of and might be relegated to certain types of engines, but I like it. Most outdrives do not include sensors for this, and they only have F-N-R anyways.
  • Transmission oil pressure
  • Transmission oil temperature
  • Multisensor data (EVC-A engines)
  • Engine tilt/trim
  • Intake manifold temperature

Semantics, but you have Volvo's Electronic Vessel Control (EVC). SmartCraft is the Mercruiser equivalent, and Vessel View Mobile is the Mercruiser system that sends data to your smartphone. Volvo's version is called Easy Connect. They all use the same underlying network protocol called NMEA 2000 which is based on a CAN bus architecture (I'm a computer engineer, this is my bread and butter lol). This network allows all sorts of devices to transmit all sorts of data. Essentially, all devices on the network are always listening and each message has a priority level defined for it. A device will broadcast its message with an ID and priority. If a higher priority starts at the same time, it takes precedence and the lower priority stops transmitting. All devices read the ID and continue listening if it matches IDs they're watching for.

So, the NMEA 2000 network is not a specific manufacturer. It's a set of standards that everyone follows, similar to the International Residential Code (IRC). And EVC and SmartCraft are specific to the engine manufacturers, not the boat manufacturer. It was around the 2007/2008 time frame when this technology really took off. Most motors prior to 2007 did not have the network connected from the factory. In Volvo's case, the information is available from the engine starting around 2004ish, but wasn't networked until about 2008. That's where this YachtDevices engine gateway comes in. It connects to the engine's ECU through the diagnostic port just like a mechanic would use to troubleshoot a fault. It then transmits the data from the ECU on to the NMEA 2000 network.

As for displaying the data, all modern chartplotters can display NMEA 2000 data. Your Garmin can support it, my 2006 Raymarine E80 can support it, and all the others. You can even add a YachtDevices WiFi gateway to the NMEA 2000 network and it will broadcast the data to a smartphone or tablet.

From your quote, "Data you may get on the chart plotter depends on the engine controller and the number of installed sensors. Legacy chart plotters may not support display of all data types." This is very important. It means that the engine manufacturers decide what sensors they put on their engines. While the NMEA 2000 protocol supports many, many types of data, the engines don't output all of it, even with the YachtDevices gateway, SmartCraft, or EVC. This list of data you posted is just an example of what NMEA 2000 supports, but a lot of that will not be available because the engine manufacturers just don't include those sensors on the engines.

Anyways, I've been wanting to do this and have a grand dream, but it's all time and money that I don't have for now. Plus running new wires from the cabin to the engine compartment on my Sig 300 doesn't sound like my idea of fun...

44 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

Semantics, but you have Volvo's Electronic Vessel Control (EVC).

Semantics indeed but it's what it has been called here on this forum for however many years, maybe since the website opened in 2007 and it's probably because it's what everyone calls the actual gauge on the boat, which is a Chaparral manufactured component which happens to carry either Volvo's EVC in mine (and your case) and Mercury's (whatever that's called which is I guess Smartcraft.  This famous (or infamous depending on your point of view and experience with problems associated) gauge that goes for a good $700.

TACHOMETER 3" 6000 RPM WITH DISPLAY FOR VOLVO ENGINE 13.00822 *In Stock & Ready To Ship!

EDIT: Posted an entire display of its functions on my GPS thread for newbies:

Typically this has always been called the "Smartcraft" gauge on this forum regardless if your powerplant was a Merc or a Volvo.  So yes, semantics I guess but probably more a lack of detailed explanation and even labeling/defining or even understanding the gauge itself.   Cecil Marine doesn't call it the Smartcraft gauge but rather the TACHOMETER 3" 6000 RPM WITH DISPLAY FOR VOLVO ENGINE 13.00822.  Now, unless I am mistaken, is the Chaparral gauge that supports Mercury engines as well, or is that one any different?  I don't think so, at least for our year boats and not the latest ones where there are no more gauges whatsoever and everything is displayed on the MFDS.

44 minutes ago, rjbergen said:

SmartCraft is the Mercruiser equivalent, and Vessel View Mobile is the Mercruiser system that sends data to your smartphone. Volvo's version is called Easy Connect. They all use the same underlying network protocol called NMEA 2000 which is based on a CAN bus architecture (I'm a computer engineer, this is my bread and butter lol). This network allows all sorts of devices to transmit all sorts of data. Essentially, all devices on the network are always listening and each message has a priority level defined for it. A device will broadcast its message with an ID and priority. If a higher priority starts at the same time, it takes precedence and the lower priority stops transmitting. All devices read the ID and continue listening if it matches IDs they're watching for.

So, the NMEA 2000 network is not a specific manufacturer. It's a set of standards that everyone follows, similar to the International Residential Code (IRC). And EVC and SmartCraft are specific to the engine manufacturers, not the boat manufacturer. It was around the 2007/2008 time frame when this technology really took off. Most motors prior to 2007 did not have the network connected from the factory. In Volvo's case, the information is available from the engine starting around 2004ish, but wasn't networked until about 2008. That's where this YachtDevices engine gateway comes in. It connects to the engine's ECU through the diagnostic port just like a mechanic would use to troubleshoot a fault. It then transmits the data from the ECU on to the NMEA 2000 network.

As for displaying the data, all modern chartplotters can display NMEA 2000 data. Your Garmin can support it, my 2006 Raymarine E80 can support it, and all the others. You can even add a YachtDevices WiFi gateway to the NMEA 2000 network and it will broadcast the data to a smartphone or tablet.

From your quote, "Data you may get on the chart plotter depends on the engine controller and the number of installed sensors. Legacy chart plotters may not support display of all data types." This is very important. It means that the engine manufacturers decide what sensors they put on their engines. While the NMEA 2000 protocol supports many, many types of data, the engines don't output all of it, even with the YachtDevices gateway, SmartCraft, or EVC. This list of data you posted is just an example of what NMEA 2000 supports, but a lot of that will not be available because the engine manufacturers just don't include those sensors on the engines.

Anyways, I've been wanting to do this and have a grand dream, but it's all time and money that I don't have for now. Plus running new wires from the cabin to the engine compartment on my Sig 300 doesn't sound like my idea of fun...

You should open a thread on this and explain it in detail if you have the time so many would learn.  Problem is, it will only interest Chaparral boat owners from 2003/4/5/6 to 2018 since I belive the 2019 models are all digitally displayed on MFDS now.

28 minutes ago, Hatem said:

Typically this has always been called the "Smartcraft" gauge on this forum regardless if your powerplant was a Merc or a Volvo.  So yes, semantics I guess but probably more a lack of detailed explanation and even labeling/defining or even understanding the gauge itself.   Cecil Marine doesn't call it the Smartcraft gauge but rather the TACHOMETER 3" 6000 RPM WITH DISPLAY FOR VOLVO ENGINE 13.00822.  Now, unless I am mistaken, is the Chaparral gauge that supports Mercury engines as well, or is that one any different?  I don't think so, at least for our year boats and not the latest ones where there are no more gauges whatsoever and everything is displayed on the MFDS.

It’s just a multifunction gauge, and is built neither by Mercury, Volvo or Chaparral. SmartCraft is Mercury; EVC is Volvo, NMEA is a standard (a communication protocol). 

Edit. @rjbergen hit the nail on the head and articulated the key point well. These systems are far more capable than the underlying ability of the motor and control module to gather and provide the data. About 1/2 of what’s listed is not currently possible because the sensors are either not included or some, while in the neighborhood, gather related but different information. Going forward will be interesting, because like most all things today, more data is better than less so gasoline marine engines and their control modules will likely grow into and gather these additional data types.

Edit. The OP and result are really cool. Love what he did and shared.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s just a multifunction gauge, and is built neither by Mercury, Volvo or Chaparral. SmartCraft is Mercury; EVC is Volvo, NMEA is a standard (a communication protocol). 

I understand all the Mercury vs Volvo etc, I'm just saying that it's mostly referred to here on this forum as the "Smartcraft gauge" since I've been here in mid-2014 regardless of if the word Smartcraft is reserved to the Merc system AND that it supports Volvo engines. 

But I did think it was produced (or licensed somehow) by Chaparral for obvious reasons, logo.  So who is the manufacturer?

5 minutes ago, Hatem said:

But I did think it was produced (or licensed somehow) by Chaparral for obvious reasons, logo.  So who is the manufacturer?

No clue, nor information that’s going to change my day. If interested, look on the back of the gauge. 

9 hours ago, rjbergen said:

Semantics, but you have Volvo's Electronic Vessel Control (EVC). SmartCraft is the Mercruiser equivalent, and Vessel View Mobile is the Mercruiser system that sends data to your smartphone. Volvo's version is called Easy Connect. They all use the same underlying network protocol called NMEA 2000 which is based on a CAN bus architecture (I'm a computer engineer, this is my bread and butter lol). This network allows all sorts of devices to transmit all sorts of data. Essentially, all devices on the network are always listening and each message has a priority level defined for it. A device will broadcast its message with an ID and priority. If a higher priority starts at the same time, it takes precedence and the lower priority stops transmitting. All devices read the ID and continue listening if it matches IDs they're watching for.

Yes, semantics............. 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 4:16 PM, The Great Escape II said:

The Simrad GO 7 XSE is a pretty nice unit.  Is it the 9" one?  Do you still do that rescue/tow service we used to talk about periodically in the good ol' days?  If so, how's that going?  Are you noticing a lot more crap happening than in the past?  I was out for about 6 hours with my wife and son and his girlfriend today and I couldn't believe all the either semi-emergency calls coming in on 16 or just some of the dumbest @#$%@# you would never hear on an emergency radio netwrork.

Some guy calls the harbor master in a sailboat and is about 1/2 mile from his mooring and has ran out of gas, so he asks the harbor master on 16 if he has a couple gallons of gas on board!  I just about fell off the boat.  Then someone ran over a seal or something tore up his prop or drive or bellows had water gushing in and of course panic set in at first with smoke billowing out of the engine room until they got the sump pump to pump up enough water out and smoke out with an extinguisher.  We were actually near that boat and went over to see if they needed assistance but I'll tell you what, for every asssshat out there, there's probably 3 or 4 good people all were willing to help this 40ft Wellcraft.  We got there right behind a single USCG in an orange boat of his with his lights on and 3 different harbor masters from neighboring harbors either already there or on their way.  You must hear and run into some crazy stuff.

So behind the Welcraft is a SeaTow, in front is a USCG wannabe I think he's by himself which is weird and to the far left is a harbor master coming in and to the far right (out of the picture) is another pair of harbor masters coming in.  There were 8 on board the vessel but the cool thing my wife mentioned was how when we heard the original distress call, it was probably a minute and a half before we found which boat it was and there were already 1 or 2 rescue boats near it and she made the point that it is somewhat reassuring to see this type of response

AEQRK5r.jpg

23 hours ago, rjbergen said:

This list of data you posted is just an example of what NMEA 2000 supports, but a lot of that will not be available because the engine manufacturers just don't include those sensors on the engines.

But I bet you that what will probably happen soon since these engine manufacturers are essentially handing these other companies and manufacturers (particularly NMEA 2000 and Gateway billions of $ to make off their products (I don't know if there are royalties and/or deals involved but probably) even without the sensors which what they will end up doing is finding a way to customize the engine data so it's only retrievable by their own products and cut out all those other leaches!  I know I would do that in a heartbeat.  Surprised this hasn't happened yet, but probably because they're too mired in producing smaller, more efficient, more torqued and HP'd engines and possibly ignoring the other possibilities for now until the door opens up for them.

22 hours ago, Curt said:

No clue, nor information that’s going to change my day. If interested, look on the back of the gauge. 

LOL!  Yeah, me neither my day isn't going to be affected one iota and I won't go looking behind the gauge either, unless I happen to be there working on something I might remember to take a peak and see if there is an actual manufacturer label there or not.  But I only asked because you said you doubted Merc, Volvo or Chaparral made them (or that specific one) but I think it's pretty clear that Chaparral has a lot to do with it, considering their name is on some of them and their logo is on almost every one of them.  That doesn't  really happen without some considerable involvement, probably licensing with lots of $ to most likely Faria Beede.

45 minutes ago, Hatem said:

But I only asked because you said you doubted Merc, Volvo or Chaparral made them (or that specific one) but I think it's pretty clear that Chaparral has a lot to do with it, considering their name is on some of them and their logo is on almost every one of them. 

No more so than Ford, GM, Honda, etc. It’s a gauge, just a gauge. Not putting a man/woman on the moon. Logo, no logo, doesn’t mean much nor meaningful involvement or investment. That’s not how OEM’s do it. Plus, on this kind of stuff, they’re generally more interested in aesthetics to compliment whatever look they are trying to achieve and cost control. At one point the engine builders cared more due to compatibility. Now, with standards, protocols, etc. taking hold, care is not much more than the plug. A guess in order of probability; Veethree, Faria, VDO, Bosch...

12 hours ago, Curt said:

No more so than Ford, GM, Honda, etc. It’s a gauge, just a gauge. Not putting a man/woman on the moon. Logo, no logo, doesn’t mean much nor meaningful involvement or investment. That’s not how OEM’s do it. Plus, on this kind of stuff, they’re generally more interested in aesthetics to compliment whatever look they are trying to achieve and cost control. At one point the engine builders cared more due to compatibility. Now, with standards, protocols, etc. taking hold, care is not much more than the plug. A guess in order of probability; Veethree, Faria, VDO, Bosch...

Yep, makes sense.  Business-wise, unless it's a company like Formula or Haterras, it makes much more financial sense to outsource these specific items and to be able to make them original looking (as in this style belongs only in Chaparrals) and have your name and logo on it is sound business.

This is on my list of projects for this coming winter.  My garmin is NMEA 2000 compatible, but Chap didn't bother with the gateway, so I have a bunch of functionality on the GPS that shipped with the boat that's worthless at the moment.

2 hours ago, sburke91 said:

This is on my list of projects for this coming winter.  My garmin is NMEA 2000 compatible, but Chap didn't bother with the gateway, so I have a bunch of functionality on the GPS that shipped with the boat that's worthless at the moment.

Install the gateway! I paid 175 last year, but I think it went up. Its easy to do and its more up to Merc and Volvo on how its done.