Sign in to follow this  
Lightningtruck

220SSi prop question

Have a 2001 220 SSi that we use as a family boat to cruise the rivers around here, and pull an occasional tuber. It has Merc 5.0 throttle body EFI, with a standard Alpha One drive.  Right now running a 14-1/4 x 21p stainless prop, which seems really nice for cruising, but a bit sluggish off the line.  I’ve read that a 19 Pitch prop is a pretty good compromise on a 220 to give a bit more bottom end grunt, while not making cruising obnoxious, and have been on the lookout for one on the cheap. Here’s where my question comes in.

I found a Mercury Laser II, part number 48-16554, which is a 14 x 19p.   Been doing a little bit of detective work and see that it is potentially more of a bass boat kind of prop.  Do any of you all have any thoughts on that?  Worth a try on my  220?  Or keep looking?

Thanks!

Kevin

A Bass Boat is not even close to your hull shape.  Do not compare the 2 types of boats & props. Worlds apart.

I have a 2001 220 with the 5.7 alpha and run a 19 4 blade. We were wake-boarders, tubers, and skiers, now we just cruise. That prop works great for everything.

What speed and RPM do you hit at WOT? The 220SSi is a heavy boat. It performs well with a 14.25 X 19 pitch 3-blade with an Alpha 1.62 drive. B3 2.0 uses a 24 inch pitch and B3 2.2 uses a 26 inch pitch. Higher prop pitches tend to be well under the manufacturer’s recommended WOT RPM range.

brick

Thanks for the input - all points are understood.

Well that prop ended up being super dirt cheap and in good shape, so I picked it up anyway.  I might try it just for fun, but it was so cheap, reselling it will not be a big deal. 

Thanks again,

Kevin

Brick, 

IIRC, with the 14.25x21P, it was maxed out at about 48-4900RPM and 50mph via the lie-o-meter on the instrument panel.  That’s with myself, the wife, and two teenage boys aboard, and full of fuel,  Haven’t GPS’d it yet, so take that number with a grain of salt.

BTW, it is a standard 1.62 Alpha as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

I went with a 4 blade 19 pitch Stainless...much better hole shot...dont care about top end speed as much as getting on plane with loaded boat...

It will be interesting to know how the Laser II does on your boat.  It's a moderate bow lifting prop,  and might do well as I fell like these hulls run flat as the gym floor and can use all the bow lift they can get.  The only issue would be that it doesn't have a ton of blade area and might be prone to slipping on a heavier hull like yours.  I would really love to try a Tempest myself.