Sign in to follow this  
Fishstick

genset has smoky dark water coming from boat

Hi,

Genset has previously been running fine for hours at a time. Had the oil and impeller changed a month ago, and coolant level looks good. Have 3/4 tank full of gas.

Today while swimming, I noticed the water from the genset appeared "dark or muddy". At first I thought it looked like muddy water, but realized we were in deep water and the water was clear for the lake. Got closer and heard the genset bog a few times and the water looked "dark or smoky" to me, but was still running - but didn't sound right. Immediately boarded and turned the genset off before it died on its own.

I cleaned the strainer about two weeks ago so doubt it's that. I was wondering if I might have sucked up some trash or something. If so, how do you check this or would driving the boat back to the slip clear that?

Looking for some advice of what to check for or what may have caused the issue.

I did find this in another post 

Check the water intake to ensure there is no debris clogging the water intake.

But not sure where to check this.

2 hours ago, Fishstick said:

Hi,

Genset has previously been running fine for hours at a time. Had the oil and impeller changed a month ago, and coolant level looks good. Have 3/4 tank full of gas.

Today while swimming, I noticed the water from the genset appeared "dark or muddy". At first I thought it looked like muddy water, but realized we were in deep water and the water was clear for the lake. Got closer and heard the genset bog a few times and the water looked "dark or smoky" to me, but was still running - but didn't sound right. Immediately boarded and turned the genset off before it died on its own.

I cleaned the strainer about two weeks ago so doubt it's that. I was wondering if I might have sucked up some trash or something. If so, how do you check this or would driving the boat back to the slip clear that?

Looking for some advice of what to check for or what may have caused the issue.

I did find this in another post 

Check the water intake to ensure there is no debris clogging the water intake.

But not sure where to check this.

How does the water look that is coming out of the reverse heat exchanger? Just a thought and takes 1 minute to look. If its the same than something is kicking up the mud.

Also, from the genset is the dark water oily or have a smell to it? 

Oil was full and clean, coolant level good, strainer clean.....not sure what happened yesterday but when testing in the slip today with a full load on the genset, everything was fine. Will probably take a few outings with it to restore my confidence in it!

15 hours ago, Fishstick said:

Oil was full and clean, coolant level good, strainer clean.....not sure what happened yesterday but when testing in the slip today with a full load on the genset, everything was fine. Will probably take a few outings with it to restore my confidence in it!

If the murky water was anything generated by the engine (oil, etc.) your generator would already have quit on you.  There's not really anything else you could be introducing to the system...it's just lake water from a through hull (bottom of boat...you could trace the tube from the strainer to see where).  It could be something in your muffler, though...just some soot or whatever may deposit in there.  Otherwise there's just not much that could be introduced.  I wouldn't worry about it if your vitals are all good.

Also, if your boat is parked in very shallow water and you run your GenSet, you could be pulling up some merky, muddy water from the bottom.

Originally thought we were pulling in muddy water but remembered we were in 50' of water and the lake has been clear. The next day I was able to feel the intake below and couldn't feel anything like a paper sack, etc.

TexasPilot71 makes a good point about it already quitting on me. I think he's right. It ran fine the following day in the slip and I suspect it will do good next weekend. 

The blower rocket switch on the panel next to the generator starter is "stuck". I can't turn the blower on from the panel. Is that just a spring or something? I've never replaced one of those switches. I guess I remove the panel and there it is??

Sooty exhaust water is unburned gasoline or too rich of a mixture.  Change the spark plug. Check if is the right plug number first.

If a carburator engine check if the choke is operating perfectly after warm u7p.