Sign in to follow this  
Rx7thHeaven

Signature 350 questions

Hello everyone.  New to the forum and have a few questions.  My wife and I are currently in the market for a cabin cruiser and have narrowed down the search to either a Signature or a Sundancer.  My main question is in regards to price.  I very much like the early 2000's year model 350's and am a little curious about what the fair value is for a good condition boat.  I see most of these in the $75k asking price range.  However when hanging around the local docks (Inland North Carolina) , boat owners (of the same or similar models) all seem to think they are worth much less and say they think and have paid closer the $50-60 range.  None of these people seem interested in selling for that price though!  I am just looking to find out what is a fair price to be expecting to pay for one.  I don't want to be a lowballer but also not looking to overpay.  Also looking for some words of wisdom of things to watch out for and be on the lookout for.  One of my other  concerns is the generator options.  I have been on boats that have generators but not able to run all the main systems at once with the installed generator.   What size should I be looking for to be able at a minimum to run AC, TV and stereo at the same time and maybe NAV lights if I am out at night?  Thank you in advance for any input.

Thank you,

Jonathan

15 hours ago, Rx7thHeaven said:

What size should I be looking for to be able at a minimum to run AC, TV and stereo at the same time and maybe NAV lights if I am out at night?  Thank you in advance for any input.

Thank you,

Jonathan

I can't help you on the values for boats that size, but I can tell you even the smallest generator can run the systems you describe above without any problem.  Keep in mind, the stereo and nav lights are DC and therefore do not rely on AC current provided by the generator. 

I have a 3Kw generator and I can run AC, TV, battery charger, refrigerator, plus some other AC systems providing the current draw is minimal.  What I cannot do is operate the AC, microwave, and water heater all at the same time.  But a 3Kw generator is the smallest you will find, and you will always find the 350s with 5kw or similar generator.  Obviously on a larger boat the AC will be larger, the water heater will likely draw more current, etc., so you'll need the lager generator, but you should be fine with what is offered.

Also, as I recall, the Sundancers have an option to run the interior cabin lights off AC or DC.  I can't imagine running them off AC draws much energy, but I would change out all lights to LED and run them strictly off DC.

When shopping for boats, I use NADA Guides to help price them out. Make sure to select all of the options the boat has to get an accurate price. If it has upgrades like SeaDek, or newer electronics, NADA doesn’t really account for that so you can add a few grand extra. 

For reference, we paid $83,500 in July 2018 for our 2006 Sig 330 that was pretty much stock. It had the cockpit carpet replaced once and still had original canvas and electronics. A larger Sig 350 will cost $5k or so more, but a few years older will drop the price. I could see $65k - $80k for a 2000-2005 Sig 350 in good shape. 

Know for the generator, the Sig 350 will come with at least a 5 kW if not a 7.2 kW generator. The 5 kW gen will produce about 41 amps. The 16,000 BTU AC in my Sig 330 is probably the same in the Sig 350s and it draws 17 amps. That leaves 24 amps to run everything else. That’s plenty to run most things. You would probably have an issue if you tried to run the water heater, stove, and microwave together. 

Not had any problems running the 5KVA gen on my 330. It will handle AC , stove, microwave, and the 2 frigs. Have not really run the hot water heater since it will gets hot from running the port engine.

As for SR vs Chap, I went from a SR to the Chap and found that the quality was better on the Chap. You will pay more for a SR because of the name.

The Sig 350 comes with the 7_3e Kohler Generator.

We purchased a 2006 signature 350 five years ago for nearly $100k.  It was kept under a covered slip, had new outdrives, and the dealer gave us a warranty on the boat systems and other perks to close the deal.  Additionally the dealer provided us with repair invoices from the previous owner

Prices will vary for the 2000’s Signature 350.  Many came equipped with the OSI engines with the troublesome XDP outdrives.  If still equipped with XDP drives, expect the selling price to be lower.

Condition of the finish affects price as does the canvas and vinyl.  Engine maintenance affects price as well; riser replacement, injectors cleaned, etc. 

Where you buy and  keep the Sig 350 boat will affect the price.  If you purchase your boat From a dealer with slips/marina, you are in a better position to negotiate slip fees.

The larger Signatures, 31’, 33’, 35’ feet of in good condition are holding their value and selling faster this year than in previous years and closer to asking price. (observation at our Marina).

Clean, older fresh water 350s are in the $85k to 100k price range.