Polaris

Speedometer not working

Hi!

i just bought a 2010 Chaparral 206 SSI. It is my first Chaparral and I love it! 

It is equipped with the square gauges and the Garmin 546S GPS. Some issues with calibrating trim gauge I already solved. The trim and tank gauge are getting foggy. But as read in this forum this is a typical problem of this series.

But one problem I still have. The speedometer is not working. There is no plastic sensor at the back close to Volvo SX Drive and not Hose at the dashboard. After reviewing some forum and call with a Chaparral dealer the speedometer gets the signals from the Garmin GPS. I tried to figure out which configuration I have to adjust to get it to work. But with no success. I hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance!

Interesting, I didn't know that Volvo powered models with the square POS gauges used GPS data for speedo read out. Dealership I worked at only sold Merc powered versions which all used water hose from drive. Having said that, I always installed the GPS unit,  as the OEM Garmin versions didn't have the preferred faster processor, higher pixel rate and sonar like the 545s/546s etc. with local G2 Vision chart.

If the speedometer truly gets its information for the Garmin GPS, then my little brain would think the information would actually go through the tachometer first and then to the speedometer. Should this be the case, it might simply be a case that a parameter has not been enabled or changed by accident. If you go through your owners package, you should be able to find a pair of quick reference sheets.

Also never installed the custom Perfect Pass that was used in place of the square speedometer, but that is really the only one I can think that would want GPS info for speed.

Chris

squareGaugeSetup.jpg

Image result for chaparral square gauge calibrationImage result for chaparral perfect pass

Hi shepherd1!

thanks for reply. I checked all parameters of the gauges. The smart gauge at my boat is the rev counter. There is not option for speedometer. With this I could calibrate the trim gauge. This worked fine. At the speedometer there is not tube for a hose. 

Please see attached photo.

hope I could get any reply which works while I’m on vacation and can Test it on the boat.

Thanks in advance!

0036490E-B198-46D4-8655-AF8B30FF20D8.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Hi shepherd1!

thanks for reply. I checked all parameters of the gauges. The smart gauge at my boat is the rev counter. There is not option for speedometer. With this I could calibrate the trim gauge. This worked fine. At the speedometer there is not tube for a hose. 

Please see attached photo.

hope I could get any reply which works while I’m on vacation and can Test it on the boat.

Thanks in advance!

0036490E-B198-46D4-8655-AF8B30FF20D8.jpeg

Morning. Please check the wires to the speedometer to ensure each wire is connected, not loose, etc.; and with a volt meter, 12 volts of power on the positive, a good negative and ground. Also, when the interior lights are switched on, does this gauge light or is it black (no light)? What we’re trying to do is first confirm the gauge is good.

Hi Curt!

thanks for your reply. 12 Volt and ground is good. Light up is fine. All 4 wires of the connector are fixed connect. 

Any further ideas?

52 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Hi Curt!

thanks for your reply. 12 Volt and ground is good. Light up is fine. All 4 wires of the connector are fixed connect. 

Any further ideas?

Trace the other two wires to their opposite ends. You have power, and ground. Those other two, one is the signal and the other is switched power for the back light. Three possibilities at this time; bad gauge, not getting the signal, no signal. If speed is on your GPS, there’s signal. But, I wasn’t aware your GPS has speed. I need to look at Garmin’s site. Will do in a minute.

Hi Curt! 

I can’t follow up the cables without disassemble the dashboard. The Garmin GPS is showing me the speed in knots or mph. In the configuration of the Garmin I found the topic communication to NMEA device. I thought that this should be the speedometer. That it gets its speed signal from Garmin GPS to shown on the analogue gauge. 

Meanwhile im not sure. The is a hose behind the dashboard. But it is always dry. I know that MerCruiser has their speed pickup sensor inside their drive. At Volvo I have in my mind that Volvo is using a separate sensor besides their drive. I have the newer version of SX drive. Don’t know if it is integrated meanwhile.

12 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Hi Curt! 

I can’t follow up the cables without disassemble the dashboard. The Garmin GPS is showing me the speed in knots or mph. In the configuration of the Garmin I found the topic communication to NMEA device. I thought that this should be the speedometer. That it gets its speed signal from Garmin GPS to shown on the analogue gauge. 

Meanwhile im not sure. The is a hose behind the dashboard. But it is always dry. I know that MerCruiser has their speed pickup sensor inside their drive. At Volvo I have in my mind that Volvo is using a separate sensor besides their drive. I have the newer version of SX drive. Don’t know if it is integrated meanwhile.

You previously said no hose and the dealer said from the GPS for your boat.

What is the complete model and serial number for your drive?

With Volvo Penta this information is necessary. With it, I’ll determine exactly what you have and then respond.

Edit. If the dash needs to come apart, then it needs to come apart. 

38 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Volvo Penta SX-A 3883601

Thank you. 

3883601 is the Product Number. You have an SX-A outdrive and a TSK transom shield. 

Turn the outdrive hard port. 

-On the starboard side of your transom shield near the top there is a small horizontal (from the transom shield), then vertical down tube. At the bottom there is a right angle fitting facing the outdrive. Make sure all of this is there and connected. Also, make there is tube from from the outdrive and that it’s connected to the right angle fitting.

-If it is, locate the small hole on the leading edge of your outdrive. Is it clear, and not plugged? 

-If clear, make sure the tube behind the dash is connected to the gauge.

-If it is, pull it off and then pull the end off right angle fitting at the transom shield. Blow through it from the gauge side. If plugged, you’ve got a blockage somewhere and need to find and clear it. Compressed air helps.

-If clear, the outdrive is either plugged or the gauge bad (remote possibility).

-If the outdrive is plugged, pull the hose off the right angle. Use a pipe cleaner and carefully insert into the leading edge hole. Once visually clear, blow through it until clear.

Edit. Please note. There are a number of transom shields in this series, so I guessed at what you have based on your hose comment. If you have the transom shield model number, I can verify.

P.S. In lieu of a compressor, use a can of compressed air keyboard cleaner. 

I would be surprised that the speed info is coming from the GPS to the speedo on the helm. That would mean that you have a NMEA2k network in order to transfer the data. OR at least a NMEA 0183 connection to the GPS. 

Which is very easy to tell by looking at the back of the GPS unit. 

3 hours ago, Iggy said:

I would be surprised that the speed info is coming from the GPS to the speedo on the helm. That would mean that you have a NMEA2k network in order to transfer the data. OR at least a NMEA 0183 connection to the GPS. 

Which is very easy to tell by looking at the back of the GPS unit. 

Me too, but Volvo Penta is like Baskin Robbins... 31 flavors.

Sorry. You’re right. There is only one cable connected to the GPS. So no connection to Speedometer. Meanwhile I found a hose and connected to the speedometer. But still not working.

thanks Curt for updating me. This Volvo Penta SX drive has the bore for speed pick-up. To be honest this is my first Volvo Penta. I had some MerCruiser and outboards in the past.

I found several bended tubes on starboard side. But I think mostly for hydraulic like trim/tilt. I will check tomorrow if I could located the other end of the block hose which I have connected to the gauge. Keep you updated.

by the way regarding the foggy gauges which should be a problem on the lights inside and the temperature difference between inside the gauges and outside. Does anyone have a solution for it except turning the lights down low by dimmer. I turned it down but still foggy. But less.

1 hour ago, Polaris said:

by the way regarding the foggy gauges which should be a problem on the lights inside and the temperature difference between inside the gauges and outside. Does anyone have a solution for it except turning the lights down low by dimmer. I turned it down but still foggy. But less.

I’ve not found a solution for this other than replacement. If someone has one, I’m all ears. 

1 hour ago, Polaris said:

I found several bended tubes on starboard side. But I think mostly for hydraulic like trim/tilt. I will check tomorrow if I could located the other end of the block hose which I have connected to the gauge. Keep you updated.

I’ll PM a diagram tonight. This will help locate things.

Hi Curt!

thanks for your email and drawing. I got it. But for this I have to check it when boat is out of water.

Meanwhile I could locate a blockage between a hose connector in engine room and the drive. The hose between engine room and gauge is okay. 

I will work on it and keep you in touch. 

Regarding the foggy gauges would be interesting if anyone have a solution for it. I appreciate it.

51 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Hi Curt!

thanks for your email and drawing. I got it. But for this I have to check it when boat is out of water.

Meanwhile I could locate a blockage between a hose connector in engine room and the drive. The hose between engine room and gauge is okay. 

I will work on it and keep you in touch. 

Regarding the foggy gauges would be interesting if anyone have a solution for it. I appreciate it.

Glad you found a blockage. Depending on how far into the hose the blockage is and whether it’s at a bend, compressed air, a small pipe-cleaner with a soft blunt end, low pressure water jet, etc. usually works. 

If you found the hose and connected it to the back of the Speedometer.  Check your outdrive, there is a small hole that the water goes through and makes it's way up to the speedometer.  That hole gets clogged all the time.  Use a paperclip or something small to clean that out. 

26 minutes ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

If you found the hose and connected it to the back of the Speedometer.  Check your outdrive, there is a small hole that the water goes through and makes it's way up to the speedometer.  That hole gets clogged all the time.  Use a paperclip or something small to clean that out. 

+1

That dam little hole is a #$%#$ to find on the Volvo drives, at least mine anyway and I don't know how the heck that thing works.  They should've added a little bit or a better sensor with a slightly round lens on it to deflect debris and shhttuufff like that on there, but I guess that costs more money! Maybe then it wouldn't clog up and maybe it would be closer to GPS speeds.  Speaking of, I keep hearing everyone here say their spedo is off to their GPS speed by as much as 5 or more MPH and I just don't see that with mine to be perfectly honest.  I've been looking at it A LOT lately and it's almost dead on!  Also my GPS came set up in knots which makes me think some might confuse that with the speedo which is in MPH?  1 knot is 1.15 mph so there is a slight difference between the two.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, Curt said:

I’ve not found a solution for this other than replacement. If someone has one, I’m all ears. 

If you or the OP don't mind, post it here so we can all see it.

1 minute ago, Hatem said:

If you or the OP don't mind, post it here so we can all see it.

Sorry, can’t. File is too large.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

Sorry, can’t. File is too large.

Ok, NP.  Thanks anyway.

On 7/21/2019 at 5:44 PM, Curt said:

In other posts, we have talked about this before. There is a current one going on right now. But this will ALL depend on what model your engine is to the final cost.

If the gauge is fogging, than the seal is broken just like a double pane window. In time the gauge will be useless. This is what happen to my tech ($750 to replace) so I looked into tapping into the engines (I have twins) computer. For $175, I think it went up a little, I bought a J1939 to NMEA2k gateway. Now I can read all that data off my GPS in a bunch of different ways. In the corners, overlays and more on the screen. Even off my Fusion remotes. Since the info is now in NMEA2k protocol, I won't but I could replace the gauge/s with a LED gauge that can display all types of data. Not just one as in the analog type that most of us have now. That cost is from is from $350 to $550 depending on screen size of each gauge. 

For me, cost was $175 for the gateway and about $30 for a NMEA2k tee and a 6" NMEA2k cable. For others it maybe higher depending on which engine/s you have. Yacht Devices makes the gateway, there tech support is not that great but it is not hard to do. 

To me the Speedo is useless that uses the tube to the drive. Its never right if you compare it to your GPS. More so if your fighting a current.