WaterDR

Idiot me....anchor line caught on prop

Well, after years of boating....it happened to me. Was running at 1,000 rpms.  Forgot I had the second anchor out due to wind.

was running along....rpms dropped for a second or two and came back up.  When arrived at the slip a few hundred yards later, realized what had happened.

found rope cut and of course by by anchor.

its a bravo 3.  I jumped in and checked the prop.  Turns freely.  No sign of rope lodge anywhere.

have not run it yet.  Anything I should check before taking it out?

I'd check the nut behind the steering wheel, It appears to be loose :)

Other than that you should be find. 

Wow I just did something similar. We were just relaxing in the middle of nowhere and I decided to throw out the front anchor. After 45 mins we decided to move and I forgot the anchor was out. As we started leveling out I looked to the right side of the boat and noticed a rope in the water, it didn't register for a few seconds then it hit me, duh.

18 minutes ago, WaterDR said:

Agreed...at least I admit it:)

Least one to feel bad is you, lol.  Ever try nailing a lobster trap line or a couple of fishing lines? 

tV6dLfg.jpg

SATUiLJ.jpg

BaJvtfz.jpg

Forgot the anchor was out once, took off and my SIL was sitting next to me decided to get herself a drink and got up at 45mph and as I started to give her #$^% for getting up at that speed the anchor popped out of the water and landed in the seat she was sitting in.

Disaster averted 

While cruising at 30mph, I had a dock line that was still tied to the boats cleat. The wind grabbed the line and blew it overboard and the prop grabbed it. It would have been great if the prop had cut the line but it didn't and ended up stalling the engine. Fortunately, I was able to unwind it and get the engine restarted. 

Every time out is a new adventure into the unknown.

As we get older we loose the ability to do things second nature or subconsciously.

Our attention spand gets shorter, we get out of our routine, we get side tracked, and the next thing, we get another one of those

T-shirts.

I wish that I had a $1 for everything that I broke and had to fix.

That is where the phrase (it is human to error) comes in to play.

So grin and bare it, there is positive in everything.  Denny. 

6 hours ago, SST said:

While cruising at 30mph, I had a dock line that was still tied to the boats cleat. The wind grabbed the line and blew it overboard and the prop grabbed it. It would have been great if the prop had cut the line but it didn't and ended up stalling the engine. Fortunately, I was able to unwind it and get the engine restarted. 

Last week I was out about 15 miles, I look in my fishfinder and I nearly had one of those you know, sexual experiences LMFAO at what was cruising under the boat.  Looked like a HUGEAH pack of giant tuna and another school of either Mackerel that they were following or something was about to go down.  In all my excitement, I forgot about the 3 lobster buoys that were directly behind me that I had actually been keeping an eye on...up until then!  Suddenly I hear the engine stall and I look behind me and there's one of those gaddam buoys right up against my stern dead center and the funny thing is it was bopping like the invisible man was punching it like a punching bag lmao.  Found out I had the throttle in reverse idle because I was trying to move away from a huge rock that the current and wind was pushing me towards and I had 3 casts out.  So I pull in all the casts before they get tied up in the props and then I actually couldn't put it into neutral for some reason.  Thought maybe the props were badly stuck around the buoy line so I freed it from the boat, had to push the throttle button and handle a bit harder than usual into neutral and engine started right away.  Opened the hatch to see if there were any issues especially in the back and luckily nothing.  Bilge was dry as a bone (since I had vacuumed it about 1 hour prior at the dock!) and left that area.   Never saw a single fish in the finder for the next 4 hours. 

5 hours ago, Denny said:

Every time out is a new adventure into the unknown.

As we get older we loose the ability to do things second nature or subconsciously.

Our attention spand gets shorter, we get out of our routine, we get side tracked, and the next thing, we get another one of those

T-shirts.

I wish that I had a $1 for everything that I broke and had to fix.

That is where the phrase (it is human to error) comes in to play.

So grin and bare it, there is positive in everything.  Denny. 

About 2 weeks ago, it's 5am and I'm leaving the dock.  I do my entire routine from engine check, oil check, all fluids, vacuum bilge water, put both GPS' on, check rods in their place and everything is good.  Jump off the boat untie all my lines and throw them in the boat and get to the helm quick before the current moves the boat sideways and I can't even get on it let alone it bumps into my neighbor's boat and put it in forward and what does she do?  She turns sideways and the bumps up against the stern fender!?!?!  Won't go anywhere except twist like that and I'm like WTF!?  I look out the side of the hull and I see my midship line still tied! :lol:  Untied that SOB and I was outta there.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Last week I was out about 15 miles, I look in my fishfinder and I nearly had one of those you know, sexual experiences LMFAO at what was cruising under the boat.  Looked like a HUGEAH pack of giant tuna and another school of either Mackerel that they were following or something was about to go down.  In all my excitement, I forgot about the 3 lobster buoys that were directly behind me that I had actually been keeping an eye on...up until then!  Suddenly I hear the engine stall and I look behind me and there's one of those gaddam buoys right up against my stern dead center and the funny thing is it was bopping like the invisible man was punching it like a punching bag lmao.  Found out I had the throttle in reverse idle because I was trying to move away from a huge rock that the current and wind was pushing me towards and I had 3 casts out.  So I pull in all the casts before they get tied up in the props and then I actually couldn't put it into neutral for some reason.  Thought maybe the props were badly stuck around the buoy line so I freed it from the boat, had to push the throttle button and handle a bit harder than usual into neutral and engine started right away.  Opened the hatch to see if there were any issues especially in the back and luckily nothing.  Bilge was dry as a bone (since I had vacuumed it about 1 hour prior at the dock!) and left that area.   Never saw a single fish in the finder for the next 4 hours. 

About 2 weeks ago, it's 5am and I'm leaving the dock.  I do my entire routine from engine check, oil check, all fluids, vacuum bilge water, put both GPS' on, check rods in their place and everything is good.  Jump off the boat untie all my lines and throw them in the boat and get to the helm quick before the current moves the boat sideways and I can't even get on it let alone it bumps into my neighbor's boat and put it in forward and what does she do?  She turns sideways and the bumps up against the stern fender!?!?!  Won't go anywhere except twist like that and I'm like WTF!?  I look out the side of the hull and I see my midship line still tied! :lol:  Untied that SOB and I was outta there.

All is good, welcome to another fine day in the life of a boater.  Denny.

13 hours ago, ColdOne said:

Forgot the anchor was out once, took off and my SIL was sitting next to me decided to get herself a drink and got up at 45mph and as I started to give her #$^% for getting up at that speed the anchor popped out of the water and landed in the seat she was sitting in.

Disaster averted 

Holy crap!  One can only imagine what that would've caused had she not gotten out of that seat, and doing it at that speed!  Or the fact that it landed in the seat right next to you and not YOURS!  Someone was looking out for all of you that day.

We were camped at the end of Reflection Canyon a few years back. Pulled all 3 anchor lines in and pulled off the beach. We were idling out of the canyon enjoying coffee and a breakfast bagel as we typically do when I realized our dog was not laying in her usual spot on the stern couch. I went down below to see if she was in the aft cabin where she sometimes sleeps when underway. She was not in the cabin so I went back up and looked around and found her chilling on the swim platform....I had left the pass thru door to the swim deck open. If I had not realized she was missing and throttled up to get on plane she most likely would have slid off the deck and into the water and been left. 

We added a "Dog Door" call out to our typical routine after that. I would visually inspect the swim deck and close the pass thru as well as either myself of my Girlfriend putting eyes on the pup before backing off the beach. 

44 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

We were camped at the end of Reflection Canyon a few years back. Pulled all 3 anchor lines in and pulled off the beach. We were idling out of the canyon enjoying coffee and a breakfast bagel as we typically do when I realized our dog was not laying in her usual spot on the stern couch. I went down below to see if she was in the aft cabin where she sometimes sleeps when underway. She was not in the cabin so I went back up and looked around and found her chilling on the swim platform....I had left the pass thru door to the swim deck open. If I had not realized she was missing and throttled up to get on plane she most likely would have slid off the deck and into the water and been left. 

We added a "Dog Door" call out to our typical routine after that. I would visually inspect the swim deck and close the pass thru as well as either myself of my Girlfriend putting eyes on the pup before backing off the beach. 

I work for an engineering firm from time to time to break up the winter boredom. The owner calls his Mom and says get dressed, I'm taking you to the country club for lunch. He picks her up, and they share a meal, and he tells her to wait there and he will get the car and bring it around front. He meets a customer in the parking lot and an impromptu meeting ensues. After ten minutes, he gets in the car, and about 15 minutes into his ride home, he gets a call from the club. "Forget Something Bob"? Happens to us all...  W

1 hour ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Admitting it is half the battle..Like any boat Captain that claims he never ran aground before...isn't a real boat Captain cause we've all done it.

I've never grounded a power boat but I did with my sail boat. Trying to take a shortcut into the North Sound of Virgin Gorda...About half way through the spit and i feel the keel start to bump off the sand bottom...then it came to a halt. Tide was coming in so all I could do was sit back and wait and take the humiliation once it floated off and I could continue to the anchorage after stopping for water.

I did it about a week ago.  Our waterways are very confusing here and there is dredging all the time which causes additional shoaling.  Thought I was good, my map data said there was 10 feet of water there but it dropped to a foot and a half.  Had to call Boat U. S. to come pull me off the shoal. 

19 hours ago, Water Dawg 6 said:

Admitting it is half the battle..Like any boat Captain that claims he never ran aground before...isn't a real boat Captain cause we've all done it.

I was almost always embarrassed to admit that I took out an out-drive in a shallow area of the river.  I should have known better.  Turns out, after three years at our slip in the Marina, I am by far, not the only one that has done that.  Almost a right of passage I guess.