canuck1

ready to move on to a SKI boat

I have enjoyed the flexibility of owning our little 190SSi for almost 10 years of lake fun, but my kids are bigger now (21 and 22) and despite my hand at the helm, have become pretty good water skiers.  Its now the main reason we head out on to the water (other than just for a floating picnic), our tube pulling days are behind us.  

I know Chap offers more 'sport' oriented models, but I'm not sure if they have what I'm looking for.  My current little boat has enough power but an irregular and substantial wake that isn't ideal for skiing.  My kids always jump at the chance to go out on our friends Ski-Nautique or Malibu ski boats.  I'm beginning to research what I need to do to make the transition.  I need room for 8 or more (more commonly 6), setup for skiing, NOT wakeboarding or surfing, and I'd like to spend less than $100,000.  I'd like to be knowledgeable enough to shop the used market, I'm just not there yet.

Thanks for pointing me in an affordable (?) direction! :)

Sean

Its going to be all about the compromise. How good of a wake do you want? Are you wanting to have 5-7 in the boat will skiing? There are a couple traditional ski boats available, but they have narrow beams and do not seat many. From there, you likely move into a v-drive that wider and deeper. Better seating but its a rec skier wake at best. 

For slalom skiing you want a true inboard. The ski pylon is midship with the motor. Not great for taking a big crew along. 

A bigger V-drive will give you more room for passengers, a bigger wake for wake boarding (good) but not so good for slalom. As mentioned by Was_Wylie, everything is a compromise. 

T he sons love the 2 brands .  Buy a good used on same size ? Or larger enough for 6 to 8.

Copy what they like. Used & 100 k  will be plenty. Take those 2 boat type owners / drivers WITH you when looking & test riding.   Piece of cake

A test ride pulling them with experienced drivers ?   Piece of cake .  :wub:

My kids are wanting a wake boat and I've been looking as well.  It's hard to chose with so many options out there.  I'm afraid I'll lose the ride quality of the deep V for the wake/ski boat have to offer.  But the price of those boats are ridiculous.  

Good luck.

Consider a Bryant.  In my experience, they have the flattest wake among bow riders.  Not talking about the newer Calandra and/or Speranza.  Excellent build quality, too.  Really nice boats.

10 hours ago, Jjlai724 said:

My kids are wanting a wake boat and I've been looking as well.  It's hard to chose with so many options out there.  I'm afraid I'll lose the ride quality of the deep V for the wake/ski boat have to offer.  But the price of those boats are ridiculous.  

Good luck.

You might be surprised at the ride quality of today's v-drive wake/surf boat. They are large, wide beam and deep. A 22ft in-board in going to have close to wetted surface of a 24ft I/o. 

Pick out 2-3 and go get a demo 

On 7/23/2019 at 7:40 AM, Futzin' said:

Consider a Bryant.  In my experience, they have the flattest wake among bow riders.  Not talking about the newer Calandra and/or Speranza.  Excellent build quality, too.  Really nice boats.

I would LOVE to have a conventional i/o option that could provide an improved wake and better skiing platform than what I have, but I also have to be realistic about what I can find on the far west coast of Canada (Vancouver Island) considering parts, service and maintenance.  I've never seen a Bryant before, and that leads me to surmise they aren't common enough to have much in the way of local support for me.  Some people have even pointed me towards an outboard powered Tahoe deck boat!?  Who knew?

Thanks for all the ideas so far.  Keep 'em coming!

Sean

Wake boats have become the scourge of boating because they are transferring biological stuff, destroy shoreline, damage docs from artificial wakes being made and many are  making many more INS claims for sinking because owners are not being responsible with ballast. 

Good luck, i hope you use your wake making abilities in the right areas where you are not swamping others.

Hmmm?  Improved wake from a skiers perspective generally means LESS wake, not more?  Cast yer aspersions elsewhere BajaDriver! :haha-7383:

Sean

1 hour ago, BajaDriver said:

destroy shoreline, damage docs from artificial wakes being made

Makes no mistake, there is nothing artificial about the wake, they are real :mandancing:

1 hour ago, BajaDriver said:

many are  making many more INS claims for sinking because owners are not being responsible with ballast.

Im active on a dozon + boat forums and a few facebook groups. I do not see this represented on the wake boat forums and other social media. Is there actual data showing per ownership as a percentage, that wake boat sinking claims are higher then other models? 

21 hours ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

You might be surprised at the ride quality of today's v-drive wake/surf boat. They are large, wide beam and deep. A 22ft in-board in going to have close to wetted surface of a 24ft I/o.

I'm trying to follow your meaning.  Are you saying a 24' i/o will produce a comparable wake to a 22' in-board due to the amount of hull surface in the water?

Its starting to look like ski-centric boats are gone the way of the dinosaur.  Do you have any favorites among the 'do everything' watersport boats that are out there (Mastercraft, Malibu, Nautique, Centurion etc.)?  Am I right in thinking a lighter boat with less deadrise will provide a flatter wake at the expense of handling rougher conditions in comfort?

Sean

29 minutes ago, canuck1 said:

Hmmm?  Improved wake from a skiers perspective generally means LESS wake, not more?  Cast yer aspersions elsewhere BajaDriver! :haha-7383:

Sean

Yes... 

But I do have to agree with Baja's hatred for wake boats. I've had my share of happy hours ruined due to them invading our cove and turning it into a mess....

1 minute ago, canuck1 said:

I'm trying to follow your meaning.  Are you saying a 24' i/o will produce a comparable wake to a 22' in-board due to the amount of hull surface in the water?

No, not all. That context was about interior size and the size of the hull in the water. Most typical I/O's are sized to included the molded on swim platform. With most wake boats, which have removable swim platforms, the size of the boat does not include that 2ft platform. So a 24 i/o might be comparable to size and weight of a 22 v-drive in-board. 

Most all are building a solid boat. MC, Bu, Naughty, Centurion, Tige Supra, Moomba, MB, Moomba, Supreme. Heck, Even Pavati but they run well over 200K. Personally, I prefer the Tige brand. Ive owned one and been around then for years. Rode Natiques, Moomba, Malibu, centurion and others. Best advice is to demo them as you intend to use them. 

I recommend you lurk on some of the tow boat boards: Ski Nautique, Malibu, Mastercraft etc.  Look for threads about water skiing and small wakes.

Kudus to your family for skiing!  It's getting more rare.

y4m1dyAzcceBHD2i3ZURJhNPNEHDvRXb1Bp8AQtn

y4ml47CK8nu_9p9E99MaIIRbo66u8NCSJVLD6ijs

Axis makes a great boat too. ( As long as you keep the ballast to a minimum it makes a pretty good ski boat also) I was looking at them a couple years ago and was very impressed

Once a flat bottom SKI  towing boat is on plane ?  There can be ZERO wake.   Old ski boats WERE FLAT BOTTOMS. 

HIT IT !! .....................Meant you could be up in less than 1 second if you were strong enough.

Ballast boats ARE destructive wave producers.  Listen to them cry when a big cruiser slams THEIR EXPENSIVE BOAT against the dock.  

But that is different.

If your sons are up to doing 80 plus MPH ?    F Class Service boats will do the job easily.   They were really pretty looking drag boats.  That did the job of popping up skiers.

Narrowing things down a bit by reviewing our needs.

My kids aren't tournament skiers, just recreational slalom skiers (like me).  My current boat will do the job, but its not Chap's fastest planing hull (short, with V8 in the back), so we generally try to move everybody forward to get slalom skiers up in a reasonable time.  I've had the chance to try Mastercraft X14v and X15v as well as Super Air Nautique 210.  Mastercraft makes a very nice boat, I'd lean that way if I could find the right one, with the right hours and options etc.  Nautique's 210 is a little more common, a little less expensive and in the right configuration, suitable for my needs.  These boats are STUPID expensive new (not that you can even get those models anymore).  Both the Nautique and the Mastercrafts are v-drive 'do everything' tow boats, mainly oriented towards wakeboarding and surfing, however, with just a little ballast in the bow, the wake is acceptable for skiers at our level.  Better than my current boat in any case and considerably more spacious.

Thanks to all who've taken the time to respond.

Sean

Lake Powell this weekend, owner was not responsible with his ballast and sunk it. Centurion. Wakeboat ownership has its challenges. 

IMG_9784.JPG

Maybe I'm not understanding the need correctly but I'm surprise no one has mentioned an H2O.  Not sure how the wake compares though...……  We have a 21' and has plenty of power and we've had 9 people in it.  Plenty of used, low hours for sale for under $35K.  Just another option...…..

18 hours ago, BajaDriver said:

Lake Powell this weekend, owner was not responsible with his ballast and sunk it. Centurion. Wakeboat ownership has its challenges. 

IMG_9784.JPG

Sorry, but one sunk unidentifiable boat does not prove insurance claims are up with wake boats due to irresponsible ballast use. That pic does not even indicate that ballast was the cause. Sky looks awfully mean in the background. Bad storm, high winds, big waves on a big lake, can easily swamp a an older low freeboard Centurion with ZERO ballast on board.  

6 hours ago, JeffL said:

Maybe I'm not understanding the need correctly but I'm surprise no one has mentioned an H2O.  Not sure how the wake compares though...……  We have a 21' and has plenty of power and we've had 9 people in it.  Plenty of used, low hours for sale for under $35K.  Just another option...…..

That's one possibility (driven by my wife's desire to stay with a conventional i/o drive system rather than direct or v drive).  We've also looked at some used Cobalt 220's to make sure we keep her interests in mind too.  My son and daughter are really pushing for a newer, sexy looking sporty unit, but my wife is drawn to what she knows.  I don't really know, but the ski wakes on many of the v-drive units I'm considering are probably not a whole lot better than a (350 Mag, Bravo 3 drive) 22' i/o... yes, or no!?

Sean

MasterCraft, Malibu and Natique all still make and sell direct drive ski boats.  Getting 8 people inside comfortably will be tricky.  A 20-22’ crossover V-drive might be be a good alternative.  Malibu VTX, MasterCraft X2, MasterCraft XT21 or Natique GS series of boat will likely be the best ski wake for a v-drive.  Just don’t let @Phillbo catch you in it.