canuck1

ready to move on to a SKI boat

Thanks for the recommendations.  We've definitely been having a hard look at Mastercraft X2.  Seems like a decent enough ski wake and a reasonable compromise for other uses as well.

Sean

3 hours ago, canuck1 said:

Thanks for the recommendations.  We've definitely been having a hard look at Mastercraft X2.  Seems like a decent enough ski wake and a reasonable compromise for other uses as well.

Sean

I had a ‘14 MC X2.  It was a good boat, but the dealer was so bad I had get rid of it.  Long story but most here would find it unbelievable.  If you decide that an X2(or any MasterCraft for that matter) try to get one with an Ilmor motor(I think they’re the year 2012+).  They are incredible motors and sound amazing. I am likely going the other way, from a v-drive inboard back to an I/O.  We currently have a Malibu 22VLX but don’t do a lot of watersports anymore and I would like to get into something that will be more conducive to cruising.  My Malibu is awesome as well and fully recommend the brand. 

Good luck!!!

It is neat to find that over time, we begin to change enough, to try a different style of boat & drive.

Enjoy    :)

Posted (edited)

I’m testing a (used) 2005 Mastercraft X2 (ancient, but with many options, including being the last year of the narrower <8' beam, traditional bow and less than 100hrs on it), a used 2012 Malibu 21 VLX as well as a used 2012 Cobalt 220s (a nod to my wife’s preference).   For those that aren't up on the lack of spending power of my Canadian dollar, $100,000 CDN  amounts to roughly $72,000 USD!

Anybody care to offer their opinion on relative ski wake quality of either of these 3 boats?  I’m looking at others, but starting with these three. I guess I'll see, but I wonder if the wake behind a v-drive boat is any better or worse for skiing than a more conventional i/o runabout like the Cobalt 220s? My wife is really pushing for something SHE still feels comfortable operating!!

Sean. 

Edited by canuck1
added correct boat info

22 hours ago, canuck1 said:

I’m testing a (used) 2005 Mastercraft X2 (ancient, but with many options, including being the last year of the narrower <8' beam, traditional bow and less than 100hrs on it), a used 2012 Malibu 21 VLX as well as a used 2012 Cobalt 220s (a nod to my wife’s preference).   For those that aren't up on the lack of spending power of my Canadian dollar, $100,000 CDN  amounts to roughly $72,000 USD!

Anybody care to offer their opinion on relative ski wake quality of either of these 3 boats?  I’m looking at others, but starting with these three. I guess I'll see, but I wonder if the wake behind a v-drive boat is any better or worse for skiing than a more conventional i/o runabout like the Cobalt 220s? My wife is really pushing for something SHE still feels comfortable operating!!

Sean. 

The wake will be better on the v-drives due to hull shape.  Driving in-boards is certainly an acquired taste.  No steering in reverse(both the boats you mentioned will back to the starboard), and low speed maneuvering is very sluggish.  

I'll start by apologizing for leading everyone down a dead end, but I was definitely better off with your insight.  We tried a few v-drive boats (new and used).  They are cool, flashy and well-equipped for watersports, but too challenging for my wife to feel comfortable docking at our slip or maneuvering elsewhere at low speed. We did see a better skiing wake, but felt as though we were giving up too much general purpose use enjoyment to get it.  We opted for a slightly larger, more powerful i/o combination in a used (45 hrs) Cobalt 220s with 300hp Mercruiser 350 Mag/B3 drive, perfect pass and tower etc.  We've had all our kids and friends up behind it now and the general consensus is BIG improvement.  The 5.7 has considerably more torque than my little Chap w/5.0 and the Chap's SX drive is no match for the holeshot the B3's two props provide.  The hull planes beautifully in just over 4 seconds and speed control via Perfect Pass helps too.  Everyone wins when the admiral is happy and my wife ended up getting exactly what she wanted.  Anybody surprised?  :)

Sean

5 minutes ago, canuck1 said:

I'll start by apologizing for leading everyone down a dead end, but I was definitely better off with your insight.  We tried a few v-drive boats (new and used).  They are cool, flashy and well-equipped for watersports, but too challenging for my wife to feel comfortable docking at our slip or maneuvering elsewhere at low speed. We did see a better skiing wake, but felt as though we were giving up too much general purpose use enjoyment to get it.  We opted for a slightly larger, more powerful i/o combination in a used (45 hrs) Cobalt 220s with 300hp Mercruiser 350 Mag/B3 drive, perfect pass and tower etc.  We've had all our kids and friends up behind it now and the general consensus is BIG improvement.  The 5.7 has considerably more torque than my little Chap w/5.0 and the Chap's SX drive is no match for the holeshot the B3's two props provide.  The hull planes beautifully in just over 4 seconds and speed control via Perfect Pass helps too.  Everyone wins when the admiral is happy and my wife ended up getting exactly what she wanted.  Anybody surprised?  :)

Sean

Great decision! In boards are a pain to drive. 

Excellent choice.  Thanks for the update.  LOVE Cobalt, and they almost never under power their boats when they build them.

After our first lake test:

IMG_3628%20002_zps61gnt4ni.jpg

I still have the Chap 190, but it looks like its going to another boater at our marina.  Its been a good value, introduction to boating for me.  I''m grateful for its useful and dependable service!

Sean