yogi799

Loose windshield, how do I tighten it back? Clueless... Help... Video

Hey guys, boat is 6 years old and this stuff was getting worse every year.  I saw it but had no clue what to do about it.  Help me out.

These are two videos showing the problem. Do i have to disassemble the whole windshield and remove the glass just to tighten the darn thing? I see no place where I can do this, and for God's sake do these look like screws (inside, 2nd video) instead of bolts with nuts???? WTH??

Help, I need to fix this. Where do I begin?

7 hours ago, yogi799 said:

Do i have to disassemble the whole windshield and remove the glass just to tighten the darn thing? I see no place where I can do this, and for God's sake do these look like screws (inside, 2nd video) instead of bolts with nuts???? WTH??

Unfortnately, pretty much.  Great shot in that video because those so do look like screws that might be rusting out.  And if you think about it, that's probably exactly how they assemble the windshields on the boats at the factory - install all the bottom frames into the fiberglass (probably with screws too) then put in certain uprights to divide the windows, then they put the rubber strips and glass sections in and then that top rail goes in.  So if you can take the top rail off and pull out the glass panels that are at that area, then you'll be able to access those screws.

Before you do all that, check that little tag on one of the glasses that says "Taylor Made" and the number on it and call them.  Show them the video and maybe they'll have a better and quicker solution.  In the meantime, tie some duct tape around it if you're going out otherwise you might be replacing more than just screws.

There were guys on here a few months ago that were looking for the center folding windo on a brand new boat because it just flew off while underway.  Brand new boat!

Thanks Hatem. oh my what a crappy design. I guess they do so to make it more visually pleasing... hiding the screws. But why not use bolts and nuts and loctitie... (they use bolts and nuts on bimini and other parts...)

So many things get lose on these boats. Dang it. I can't count how many bolts have gotten lose and many totally got lost, and the boat was brand new and is now only 6 years old. Could they really not use some good nylon lock nuts and loctite to make sure they stay in forever?

Seems like a difficult project, i hope this lasts me till September as the boat is 2hrs away and i was hoping i could do it easily during one of the trips but by the sounds of it it may be a bit more complicated. Good tip on contacting the manufacturer if I can find the info... wouldn't that be Chaparral though? Or do they only make the hull?

They only make the hull but they mount the windshield so should be able to assist you. 

ok, thanks guys, i will send them an email with the videos , hope they reply....

I'm thinking what happened with the windshield is it rattled the hole out, making it wider and loose. This should be thru bolted. Going to have to disassemble to fix. Doesnt look fun.

You could try gluing it with epoxy perhaps and clamping it down while it cures? If you got a good bond, it would last forever. Something like sikaflex could also work. 

2 hours ago, drewm3i said:

I'm thinking what happened with the windshield is it rattled the hole out, making it wider and loose. This should be thru bolted. Going to have to disassemble to fix. Doesnt look fun.

You could try gluing it with epoxy perhaps and clamping it down while it cures? If you got a good bond, it would last forever. Something like sikaflex could also work. 

Dang, not a bad idea either!!! at the very least, it won't hurt. if the glue can't hold it then i still have the same job to do, right? thanks Drew... 

Yeah. I boat in some choppy waters here on Georgian Bay so the boat takes a beating. Of course I try to avoid getting out when the wind is more than 20 kmh but sometimes it is necessary to get to calm place. I pray each time something doesn't get loose in the engine when the boat takes a humongous beating. Thank God the motor is in the back ! LOL. 

A boat is meant to be used, right? I personally enjoy a little chop every now and again :D.

Regarding the glue, I would recommend taping off the surrounding areas very well as to not make a mess. For this job I would use west system epoxy mixed with something like 404 fairing filler to thicken it to the consistency of peanut butter in all of the gaps and then clamp it together while it cures and remove the tape when the epoxy has set, but is not fully cured. You could also use sikaflex or 5200, which may not be as permanent, but will be more if resistant. 

Even if you were to remove the windshield, the holes may have to be filled with epoxy and retapped.

Good luck bud and let us know what you choose!

19 hours ago, yogi799 said:

Thanks Hatem. oh my what a crappy design. I guess they do so to make it more visually pleasing... hiding the screws. But why not use bolts and nuts and loctitie... (they use bolts and nuts on bimini and other parts...)

Hard to explain but if you look at the way they assemble that style, it's actually hard to use bolts and nuts because of access to the nuts to tighten them. They would need to change the design of the frame in order to be able to bolt those two particular sections together.  I hate to disagree with Drew since he's my buddy, but I would spend the time to disassemble and put larger screws in that grab much better, and check if the frame is 100% aluminum so you know exactly what to use for screws.  Maybe add the epoxy with the new screws, that I would consider.

I tried looking at mine to see if I could figure out the method to get to those screws but mine is the older style with the rounded corners, so less up and down frames to deal with. But I took a couple of pics including a close-up of the manufacture's into just in case you don't have imprinted in yours for some reason. Send them your pics and see what they say.  You never know, if they find out you posted about this, they might come out an fix it for you for $0?  Never know.

XGH4B23.jpg

LOL, I went to take a picture of the tag thinking there is a phone number but instead, look at this! :haha-7383:

HEo2PV6.jpg

On 7/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, yogi799 said:

ok, thanks guys, i will send them an email with the videos , hope they reply....

yogi799-

Did you resolve your issue? I'm having the same exact problem and would appreciate any info that you have.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Capt Jack said:

yogi799-

Did you resolve your issue? I'm having the same exact problem and would appreciate any info that you have.

Thanks

Honestly, if you want to do it the right way, you need to look at exactly how they assembled it, then take it apart and add larger and better screws.  but when I look at it, it seems like they attached the entire frame (including that top rail that is coming loose) first, then they installed the glass with the rubber gaskets.  So look at see how that one piece of glass can come out (there had to be a way they put it in like window shashes in your house (just an example) and the actual glass panel comes out with its rubber gasket and then those screws are exposed.  Pull them out slowly, get some slightly larger screws but keep the heads as close to the same size as possible) and screw them back into the same holes so they're nice and tight. 

I would at least start by looking at how they assembled that frame.  You would think that the top rail is the last thing they put in there and bolted it down into the side frame, but they put that top frame in first before the put the glass panels in, otherwise how would they have installed those 2 screws?

I haven’t actually attempted it, but the assembly of that style windshield looks to be pretty simple, mostly as a cost savings: I think all you have to do is unscrew the top cross frame, slide out the glass panel, and access the anchor screws within the rest of the frame channels.

People have the tendency to pull in the windshield frame while helping to dock, I ask them to grab the arch instead. You can see the side frame flex when someone is holding onto it from a dock and the boat is moving around.

2 hours ago, Toddavid said:

think all you have to do is unscrew the top cross frame,

I think that is the main problem.  They assemble these entire windshields somewhere in the factory, then drop them onto the boat as a single unit and then measure all around for consistencies and then screw them down into the fiberglass.  It's very difficult to see where that top rail is screwed into anything. 

I took a close look at mine this weekend because of this subject and even though mine is the older rounded style, I found out that the top rail in RIVETTED to the uprights at the center window.  So the only way for me to change that circular window is to never break it!  Otherwise I'd have to drill out those rivets and then re-rivet?  Don't think so. But seriously, I'd have to unscrew it from the boat first and remove the entire side, then take off the bottom rail and the glass will then come out.  

6 hours ago, Capt Jack said:

Thanks for the advice Hatem. I'll give it a try.

No problem not sure I was of any help but based on what I said, to look at how it was assembled, but this might help or might not.  Take a look at Yogi's 2nd video (bottom one) and try pausing it at minute 1:18.  It appears there's a screw on the inside of that top rail.  It's either a screw or a snap for his cover, hard for me to tell but if it was a screw, that might lead to how that top rail separates?  If it's a snap, forget it.  But then again, why put the snap for the cover on the inside of the windshield?  Doesn't make sense but check it out.

3 hours ago, Toddavid said:

I haven’t actually attempted it, but the assembly of that style windshield looks to be pretty simple, mostly as a cost savings: I think all you have to do is unscrew the top cross frame, slide out the glass panel, and access the anchor screws within the rest of the frame channels.

People have the tendency to pull in the windshield frame while helping to dock, I ask them to grab the arch instead. You can see the side frame flex when someone is holding onto it from a dock and the boat is moving around.

Yep!! the top of the frame. In  the movie, you can see the screws. I would start there.

7 hours ago, Hatem said:

I think that is the main problem.  They assemble these entire windshields somewhere in the factory, then drop them onto the boat as a single unit and then measure all around for consistencies and then screw them down into the fiberglass.  It's very difficult to see where that top rail is screwed into anything. 

I took a close look at mine this weekend because of this subject and even though mine is the older rounded style, I found out that the top rail in RIVETTED to the uprights at the center window.  So the only way for me to change that circular window is to never break it!  Otherwise I'd have to drill out those rivets and then re-rivet?  Don't think so. But seriously, I'd have to unscrew it from the boat first and remove the entire side, then take off the bottom rail and the glass will then come out.  

No rivets with this style windshield, just two Phillips head screws on each upper and lower cross frame. I bet this is a highly modular and service friendly design, once those upper screws are removed.

Thanks guys for all the info and suggestions.

I haven't done much to mine yet. What I did for now was tighten the whole assembly to the fiberglass (bottom of the windshield, not shown in my videos) by removing the black rubber gasket/weather stripping and tightening those screws. I recall doing the same about 3 years ago when they were loose. That has made the whole thing hold much better, although the play shown in the vid is still the same. So that will get me till the end of the season (boat is stored 2hrs from my home so my possibilities are limited during the season - I usually just pray nothing goes terribly wrong LOL).

But yeah, I will do either of these two at the end of the season:

1. check the two inside screws you guys have mentioned to see if the whole panel can be slid out (the other screws, on the front, are my canvas snap buttons)

2. contact the manufacturer are recommended for their suggestions. of course i will share if i hear from them.

Gluing would be the last resort I gather, so i am keeping that in mind as well if both options fail.

10 hours ago, Phillbo said:

You ready for a return trip to Powell yet  :)

Oh you bet Phil. Only if I was farting money. I'd love to return. Most stunning lake on Earth, and I've seen a few on several continents in my life.... 

I'm back as soon as I win the lottery! For now I am enjoying the beauty of Georgian Bay. 5 weeks left. Have you gone to Powell yet?

10 hours ago, yogi799 said:

. Have you gone to Powell yet?

Just a quick trip to prep the boat for the season..... See this thread: