Sign in to follow this  
WaterDR

If buying a Sunesta, would you pay for a survey?

I have a buyer who made an offer on my 2002.  Boat is in the water.  He has operated it. We have agreed on a price.  He now wants a survey which he can certainly do.  But I have never heard of anyone paying for a survey on a fiberglass boat this small.  

It has no electronics, generator etc....it’s just a boat with a motor :)

anything I should watch for?

a survey is always a good idea and it is his dime.  Some of the things they could check for are blisters in the fiberglass and what codes are on the engine.  It is his expense, that includes pulling the boat.

If you have the right software you can drill down into the ECM histogram and see how many total house were spent at WOT, 4,000 RPM, and so on and so forth. Overheating events, critical alarm history, etc. It all depends on the surveyor. I'd much rather have a boat with 400 hours that lived at 3,400 than one with 250 that was WOT hour on end.  W

1 hour ago, WaterDR said:

I have a buyer who made an offer on my 2002.  Boat is in the water.  He has operated it. We have agreed on a price.  He now wants a survey which he can certainly do.  But I have never heard of anyone paying for a survey on a fiberglass boat this small.  

It has no electronics, generator etc....it’s just a boat with a motor :)

anything I should watch for?

Some financing/insurance may require it.  My truck since it was used and @high end of BB value they made me take it to a certain mechanic to verify everything, document any damage... I thought it was crazy. 

For a boat depending on the price I would recommend a survey on anything that isnt new unless it is dirt cheap as they know where to look for damage, rot, corrosion issues, can pull computer history, compression test... that I would not want the responsibility of having a buyer that may not know what they are doing fooling around on my boat.  I have seen some boats a couple years old in very rough condition and some ancient ones that I would pay over BB value for because they are immaculate.

I did not have a survey done on my current boat when I bought it but I did have my mechanic pull codes, history and compression test. Once purchased I had him do a complete tune up and annual. 

I had surveys done one my last two Sunestas, but that was because I wasn’t local to sellers, and they were both 9hrs away. I also was a new boater with my first one. If I were to buy another today, and it was local, I’d handle my own survey.

I probably would not do it, but I feel that I know enough and what to look for. I also have the Rinda scan tool now. I did however pay for an inspection on my current boat as it was 12 hours away. every scenario is different I guess. But as long as he agree to pay for it, let him go for it.

1985 made a very important point about boat prices by any company. The price is ALWAYS for a AVERAGE WEAR & TEAR condition.

Outstanding & like new everything is at least 7 % more on a very new boat.  AS the age of the boat goes older ? 10 to any % is possible.