Sign in to follow this  
Gary Lowe

1994 1930FL Volvo Penta Gas Tank

Hello everyone.  What is the fuel tank make of?  Aluminum?  Is there any way to remove it?  I assume not except tear the floor out.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Gary Lowe said:

Also, I need a new gas cap assembly.  Anyone know how to order one online.

Thanks

Take a photo and send it to Joe at Cecil Marine and he should be able to tell you what cap it is as several different ones can be used within a given. As far as fuel tank replacement goes, every boat is different. Most require engine removal and cutting out the rear tank cradle bulkhead. If you do replace it, use a modern plastic replacement as they last forever and are immune to problems related to E-10 fuels. Aluminum, not so much.  W

http://cecilmarine.com/

35 minutes ago, Gary Lowe said:

Thanks Wingnut.  Do you suspect that the existing tank is aluminum.

Gary

I do as that seemed to be the standard back then. They coated the inside and over time the E-10 formulations seem to eat through the coating, and then the ethanol goes to work on the tank interior, making any cosmetic repairs done to the outside meaningless. A few pictures of your tank location and adjacent bilge space may lead to a few additional suggestions.  W

SS series boats had PLASTIC fuel tanks. That is most likely not where a leak would be coming from. Check the fuel sender gasket that is accessed either under a carpeted, screwed down deck plate just behind the ski locker or under the black plastic deck plate.

The gas tank should be HDPE ( plastic). Engine removal or (and) floor removal is required. 

brick