Sign in to follow this  
Youngz

Always a little water in bilge

Me again.  I never thought too much of it but I always have a little water in Bilge after day on water.  Not enough for pump to come on automaticity but once on my Lift I always turn on the bulge pump to remove it.

so is a little water in bilge normal?

I've noticed that the track where the hatch to the engine compartment sits in when closed sends water to a hose that is suppose to prevent the water from going into the bilge sometimes just can't keep up in heavy rain and even a day on the water.  I've also noticed those drain holes plugged up before with debris causing draining to be slow and water will back up into the bilge.   Wouldn't be too concerned about a little water, but if you start to see more than usual, check the speedometer tube that goes through your transom for leaks and or make sure it's attached properly.  Also, keep in mind that is also the first sign you get when exhaust bellows start to wear out on ya.  Don't know what kind of motor and/or outdrives you have. 

Unless it's being introduced by rain or swimmers entering the cockpit still dripping your bilge should be dry.  Mine never sees a drop. 

I have 350 mag mpi with Bravo 3

ok this is all good to know and a little scary:) hope it’s nothing like exhaust bellows.  

It is kept outside but under covered dock and the $^& end sticks out just a little ( mainly extended swim platform). It easily could be rain since lake of the ozarks gets some nasty storms occasionally 

I have the same problem on my 2008 Sunesta that we recently bought.  I always end up with about 1.5" water in the bilge area.  I'm gonna see if I can find the culprit this weekend and will report back.

Thanks!! I have a 2003 sunesta 243:) love it overall.  But wish it was a 2008!! And yes it’s about 1.5” in my bilge too.

I think it has more to do with the hatch than anything.  We all have Chaps, but different models have different hatches.  Also, those that stay in the water are bound (in most cases) to get a little water in there.  If you trailer, you have the benefit of starting the day with a dry bilge.  That helps a lot, I would think.

1.5 " is about as low as a bilge pump is going to lower it to.

Leaky fresh water lines will always keep that level down there.  So will ice melting in the lockers.  Water spray into the anchor rope locker.

Lots of normal ways to keep the 1.5 " in there. moving a pump to the center line & right against the transom WILL eliminate all the water as soon as the boat goes to planning angle.  Mine & a few others

Again check those drains.  Especially if you have females on board with long hair.  I had one drained clogged up with  hairball which ended up collected other debris in it so the water drained but drained very slowly so the water overflowed the little gully the hatch sat on that led to the drain.  Also, underneath make sure your clamps are tight where the hose connects to the drain. 

Does your speedo work? 

Drain all the water out of the bilge while on the lift and then let the boat sit in the water unused for a couple days. If  the water returns you have a leak in your bellows. If the water does not return take it for a cruise. If the water returns then you know you have a leak in your cooling system most likely. 

Thanks again I’ll look at the drains for sure.  Speedo does work although I already had to clean it out once.  It rains a ton but I am pretty covered under roof of dock

I’ll let it sit in water to see if it returns after I drain it out.

Has anyone experienced a cracked garboard?  After my steering pin replacement, my big water issue stopped however I still get just a little bit.  I had a look and after vacuuming the bilge right at the transom where it meets the floor of the boat, I see a very slow ingress of water.    I replaced the brass plug so the only thing I can think of is that the Garbord plug itself may have a hairline crack.  Just wondering if any of you have seen that before?

I think I found my culprit last night.  The valve that drains the swim deck cooler was dripping into the bilge.  Gonna tighten that and see what happens.  

Mine's always done that--I can get the bilge what appears to be bone dry, but once it hits the water, there's always some in there.  I just had the bellows replaced, so I'm sure it's not them, but there seems to be a little seepage, either coming from the drain plug area, or elsewhere.   While we're docked in the water we also get whatever rain blows in the side vents, as well as anything that comes down through the anchor locker, as that drains into the forward bilge, under the cabin, and ultimately makes it to the stern when the bow's high.

I've been chasing a bilge leak for a while myself. 220 SSI. I have found that my starboard motor mount stringer is cracked, water is leaking from crack down into bilge. I have yet to find where water is entering boat. I typically take on a couple of gallons over a 24hr period. I have sealed the swim platform brackets and I will see if water is still entering boat this weekend when I go to lake. I plan to have it inspected for rot in the off season. 

In the 2008 Sunesta 224 - there is a front storage in the bow, that can be used as an ice chest - mine drains into the hull, yet the anchor space drains to the outside - stupid!

If you turn to the right, and slow down, you can get water to flow over the swimstep into the boat, and drains into the hull.

If your "boat people" walk into the boat with wet lifejackets, it will drain into the boat.

I've had it dry, but rarely (put a towel in the engine bay) - water still comes in somewhere, I can see it right after I launch - but no idea where from...one day I'm going to put my kid in the engine compartment with a flashlight and pay him $100 if he see where it's leaking....or maybe I'll fill it with water and see where it's leaking.

Does your boat have metal grills on each outside surface near the transom ?  A loaded boat in choppy water & launching can have those shiny decorations take in water.

I found my bilge leak this weekend. Come to find out I had a small cut in a cooling hose that was spraying. New hose ordered.