jsather007

What have you "jerry-rigged"?

jerry-rigged - adjective : organized or constructed in a crude or improvised manner.

Okay, since my name is actually Jerry I claim full authority to use this term and allow others to as well. It won't hurt my feelings and actually feel a bit of pride being associated with it. 

I needed something to help move my boat trailer around my tight Minneapolis property.  So I had some scrap wood, a rarely used dolly, a dusty corded drill (who still plugs in a drill?), an extra hitch ball, and a spare hour. With some inspiration from something similar I saw on YouTube this is what I ended up with. 

I just need to address a little wheel slippage but otherwise it works surprisingly well!  It's not pretty but I smile while I use it knowing I still have the $200-$300 in my pocket that I'd spend too buy a CHEAP alternative. That's extra beer, gas and compounding pads for me...... :D. I have no shame.

What have you jerry-rigged?  I'm curious and often amazed at what people come up with! It doesn't have to be boat related.

20190812-203310.jpg

1 hour ago, jsather007 said:

:D. I have no shame.

And you shouldn't.  That's awesome.  Just be careful, the Fellowship might consider that a dangerous and an unsafe item and then you might join me in the doghouse.  Although very interesting to see the previous post.  Mmmm.....hypocrisy at its best!

What have you jerry-rigged?  I'm curious and often amazed at what people come up with! It doesn't have to be boat related.

Are you kidding me.  People ask me what I do for work and I say "Problem Solving" and they shake their heads, then I tell them construction and that's a huge part of it.  Finding  solutions and sometimes having to jerry-rig something to make the ultimate result work.

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

And you shouldn't.  That's awesome.

I wondered what side you would fall on this one after I've seen your great looking woodwork..........  Good to here. 

17 hours ago, jsather007 said:

I wondered what side you would fall on this one after I've seen your great looking woodwork..........  Good to here. 

Thank you for that, but you're too kind.  I'm assuming you're referring to the flagpole I made for arguably the best member on this forum, Denny? 

73ShkxG.jpg

If that's what you're talking about, then talk about a jerry-rigged lathe I put together using the same concept you did with the corded drill (which BTW, I probably have close to 20 of them maybe more. :) ) I use them a lot, mostly to mix big batches of thinset for tile work or batches of plaster OR, drilling really long holes in heavy timber for rebar work.

Here's a very recently jerry-rigged tool since my actual lathe was in my friend's NASTY shop and he was using it, I put this one together using the same concept you did with that awesome trailer puller-pusher, a corded drill with variable speed to control the speed of the turning.  Can't say it could've worked out any better. (BTW, I have since power-washed my deck and re-stained it so it looks much better than what it does here in the pic!)

gWQ6rhv.jpg

How about jerry rigging a cart to remove my outdrive.

zS9LHjw.jpg

cOkWHa8.jpg

Worked so well that I've been using it to tune up my WS6 and my other trucks. 

5JEiKOL.jpg

I have submitted drawings  to a new friend who helped me with my windlass roller plate wed to make it out of square, metal tubing and will be patenting it shortly.  I've added a few goodies to it that I learned when I used it for the outdrive that will end up being on the metal version. 

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

Thank you for that, but you're too kind.  I'm assuming you're referring to the flagpole I made for arguably the best member on this forum, Denny? 

73ShkxG.jpg

If that's what you're talking about, then talk about a jerry-rigged lathe I put together using the same concept you did with the corded drill (which BTW, I probably have close to 20 of them maybe more. :) ) I use them a lot, mostly to mix big batches of thinset for tile work or batches of plaster OR, drilling really long holes in heavy timber for rebar work.

Here's a very recently jerry-rigged tool since my actual lathe was in my friend's NASTY shop and he was using it, I put this one together using the same concept you did with that awesome trailer puller-pusher, a corded drill with variable speed to control the speed of the turning.  Can't say it could've worked out any better. (BTW, I have since power-washed my deck and re-stained it so it looks much better than what it does here in the pic!)

gWQ6rhv.jpg

How about jerry rigging a cart to remove my outdrive.

zS9LHjw.jpg

cOkWHa8.jpg

Worked so well that I've been using it to tune up my WS6 and my other trucks. 

5JEiKOL.jpg

I have submitted drawings  to a new friend who helped me with my windlass roller plate wed to make it out of square, metal tubing and will be patenting it shortly.  I've added a few goodies to it that I learned when I used it for the outdrive that will end up being on the metal version. 

Yes I was referencing Denny's flagpole, looks great.

I love the lathe but do I also see a jerry-rigged bandage on your thumb that forgot to mention?  Just pack the cut with wood shavings, wrap it in a paper towel and get back at it..... :)

Feel free to add this idea to your patent, royalty free.... Is there room (width) in the opening the drive drops into to add a tray insert when you are using it as a work station?  I'm thinking a 6-8 inch deep insert with dividers that you can drop your spray cans into so they don't fall over.  I am ALWAYS knocking over my cans, then of course they land on something like an open socket set that tumbles over and sockets fly everywhere.  Normally they end up under some really low and oily areas that I have to smash my face against while reaching under to retrieve the missing pieces.

WS6 = FUN!  (I still have my built 2nd generation Camaro that I had in H.S. , it hasn't been licensed since 1989 but still runs great)  Is there a member "fun car" thread in the dock talk area?  Should be, seems cool boats and cars go together nicely. 

Yes I was referencing Denny's flagpole, looks great.

I love the lathe but do I also see a jerry-rigged bandage on your thumb that forgot to mention?  Just pack the cut with wood shavings, wrap it in a paper towel and get back at it..... :)

Oh I mentioned it!  In my original thread of making it I think it was the modification thread.  It wasn't my first go-ahead but after having the main shape formed, I went too low with the chisel and it pulled and pinched my thumb right under.  I just wrapped that piece of paper towel and continued lol.  Later bandaged it but that was a result of complacency and not the lathe itself.  Complacency is what usually gets you in trouble as I'm sure you know.  When you see someone create a piece of genius machinery like you did out of a two-wheeler, it's pretty easy to know this individual is pretty skilled.  That things is awesome.  I was going to ask you how you were able to get enough traction off the drill to the wheel!?  That's amazing.

Feel free to add this idea to your patent, royalty free.... Is there room (width) in the opening the drive drops into to add a tray insert when you are using it as a work station?  I'm thinking a 6-8 inch deep insert with dividers that you can drop your spray cans into so they don't fall over.  I am ALWAYS knocking over my cans, then of course they land on something like an open socket set that tumbles over and sockets fly everywhere.  Normally they end up under some really low and oily areas that I have to smash my face against while reaching under to retrieve the missing pieces.

Yep, you're 100% right.  When used as a tray, it lacked quite a bit but  was useful enough to get the minor things done that I needed to do.  Clean the K&N filter and oil it and reinstall it and clean out the throttle as well as few other little misc. items.  But I love your add-ons.  Good ideas to think about.

WS6 = FUN!  (I still have my built 2nd generation Camaro that I had in H.S. , it hasn't been licensed since 1989 but still runs great)  Is there a member "fun car" thread in the dock talk area?  Should be, seems cool boats and cars go together nicely. 

You should start one and maybe it'll get going and make this boring asss forum a lot funner.  You know I'll be in there chipping in left and right and there are a few gearheads on here.  The only problem is none of them post any pics.  It's just too labor-intensive for them lol. 

Yeah, the TA is A LOT of fun to drive.  I haven't customized it much except added an anti-sway bar since I like taking those sharp turns without the car tipping a 1/2"! :D  I have a ton of pics but I've posted them in other threads if I post them again, someone might start crying that I'm "plastering the same pics all over the forum."  Honestly, that has actually happened believe it or not.  Friggin unbelievable.  Coming from the same individual who claims I put out dangerous info on this forum LMFAO so I'll refrain for now.  I bought it brand new in 2001 which was the 2nd to last year they made them and it has 34K miles on it.  Needs a really nice refreshing 

Wanna hear something funny?  I'm in my F-450 and cops stop traffic for me to let me by.  I get in my TA (which is red BTW) and they follow me for miles just waiting for that wrong move and pull me over almost always!  I was in Vermont with my family we were near Hancock traveling the main drag with another car in front of me and one behind me, so basically with traffic and a clown cop going in the other direction looks at us, I see him looking at me and as I look in my rearview mirror, I se him screeching his tires doing a U-turn and lights on and grinding the motor chasing something down.  I figured he was going for a call somewhere so I pulled over with the other cars to let him by and guess what, he stops right at my windshield, and with the rudest attitude and raising his voice, he tells me to slow the @#$^#^ down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I looked back at my son who at the time was about 12+/- and he noticed him and my wife looked at him like WTF!?!?!  Then he realized he made a complete fool out of himself targeting me because of the car and just said slow it down and left.  Idiot Vermont Cop!

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

I was going to ask you how you were able to get enough traction off the drill to the wheel!? 

You are right on the mark, that is the issue I need to tweak.  I can get good pressure on it because the strap that holds the drill tight is between the tire and the where I ended the support.  So when the strap is tightened it pulls down the drill end tighter on the tire.  But there is a sweet spot, if it is pulled to tightly is starts adding to much pressure on where the wheel runs on the axle so it overtakes the grip attained.  The tires are pretty dry and hard so I did try a little sand paper to freshen them up a little, but I only had a little 120 grit handy at the time.  It helped but not enough.  I'll probably hit the tire a little with my grinder and a flap disc to roughen it up more.  I did try an old trick from when I used to pole vault.  We would wrap the grip area on the pole with tape a few rounds then twist it inside out and keep wrapping it.  It sticks to itself and stays in place sticky side out.  I did this to the chuck on the drill and it worked GREAT......in one direction.  When I changed the direction of the drill it just spun the tape right off, I should have anticipated that.

1 hour ago, Hatem said:

I se him screeching his tires doing a U-turn and lights on and grinding the motor chasing something down.  I figured he was going for a call somewhere so I pulled over with the other cars to let him by and guess what, he stops right at my windshield, 

Reminded me of a story.  When I was 17 (1980s) growing up in Wisconsin and into cool cars we'd never drive our "nice" cars in the winter.  We'd park them away from the salt and pick up really cheap "winter beaters" to drive in the snowy months.  They normally only lasted about a year......  One year I picked up a really trashed 1968 Plymouth Satellite.  The 318 had bad rings and valve seals and would blow blue smoke like you wouldn't believe.  One day I pulled out from a stop sign in the little town I grew up in and a cop quickly spun around and pulled me over.  I knew I wasn't speeding and was (for once) totally confused why he pulled me over.  He said "I saw you burning rubber and smoking your tires when you pulled out, that's reckless driving!"  I laughed and said there was no way this car could ever do that. I put it in gear, hit the brakes and smashed the pedal down to the rusted floor board.  All that happened was the engine bogged down and his squad car shortly disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke, it couldn't even break my tires loose the smallest amount.  He shook his head and told me to drive careful and get my car fixed. Times were different then, I suppose if that happened today they wouldn't have let me drive it away.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, jsather007 said:

You are right on the mark, that is the issue I need to tweak.  I can get good pressure on it because the strap that holds the drill tight is between the tire and the where I ended the support.  So when the strap is tightened it pulls down the drill end tighter on the tire.  But there is a sweet spot, if it is pulled to tightly is starts adding to much pressure on where the wheel runs on the axle so it overtakes the grip attained.  The tires are pretty dry and hard so I did try a little sand paper to freshen them up a little, but I only had a little 120 grit handy at the time.  It helped but not enough.  I'll probably hit the tire a little with my grinder and a flap disc to roughen it up more.  I did try an old trick from when I used to pole vault.  We would wrap the grip area on the pole with tape a few rounds then twist it inside out and keep wrapping it.  It sticks to itself and stays in place sticky side out.  I did this to the chuck on the drill and it worked GREAT......in one direction.  When I changed the direction of the drill it just spun the tape right off, I should have anticipated that.

That is very cool!  At least it works well and that's all that counts.  I'm trying to think it there is anything you can add to the chuck of the drill (something off the shelf) that has some teeth or some sort of bite that would dig into the tires a little better but can't think of it ATM.  I bet there's something out there.  Just tighten into the chuck and let it bite into the tire a little more.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:04 PM, jsather007 said:

Reminded me of a story.  When I was 17 (1980s) growing up in Wisconsin and into cool cars we'd never drive our "nice" cars in the winter.  We'd park them away from the salt and pick up really cheap "winter beaters" to drive in the snowy months.  They normally only lasted about a year......  One year I picked up a really trashed 1968 Plymouth Satellite.  The 318 had bad rings and valve seals and would blow blue smoke like you wouldn't believe.  One day I pulled out from a stop sign in the little town I grew up in and a cop quickly spun around and pulled me over.  I knew I wasn't speeding and was (for once) totally confused why he pulled me over.  He said "I saw you burning rubber and smoking your tires when you pulled out, that's reckless driving!"  I laughed and said there was no way this car could ever do that. I put it in gear, hit the brakes and smashed the pedal down to the rusted floor board.  All that happened was the engine bogged down and his squad car shortly disappeared in a cloud of blue smoke, it couldn't even break my tires loose the smallest amount.  He shook his head and told me to drive careful and get my car fixed. Times were different then, I suppose if that happened today they wouldn't have let me drive it away.

looooool, that is pretty funny.  If he knew anything about cars he would've known blue smoke is oil burning and WHITE smoke is burning you tires.  Clown, lol.  Oh I have a ton of cop stories I could go on for pages LOL.

Do you have a pic of the Camaro?  What year is it, 1989 or earlier?

Not really a jerry rig.

Had an old work station for holding doors and other parts while you worked on them. So I cut it apart and designed a rack to give me a second pair of hands when In would removed my outdrive. I have 4 roller plates that you put under a car so you can roll it around. SO when I need to remove my outdrive, I just clamp my rack onto one of my roller plates and wheel it where I want to,and when it is time to reinstall the outdrive I wheel it back and slide it on, no more heavy lifting for this old man, and I don't have to call for help.

The way that it works is, I slide the roller plate and rack under the outdrive, then I level the boat and angle the outdrive so it rests on the rack as seen in the photo. I undo the nuts, grab hold of the outdrive and the rack and roll it away.

Sorry for all the mineral deposits on the drive, that was before I put on the drive shower.

Denny.

IMG-1343.jpg

With the drive shower.

IMG-3759.jpg

On 8/14/2019 at 9:56 AM, jsather007 said:

jerry-rigged - adjective : organized or constructed in a crude or improvised manner.

Okay, since my name is actually Jerry I claim full authority to use this term and allow others to as well. It won't hurt my feelings and actually feel a bit of pride being associated with it. 

I needed something to help move my boat trailer around my tight Minneapolis property.  So I had some scrap wood, a rarely used dolly, a dusty corded drill (who still plugs in a drill?), an extra hitch ball, and a spare hour. With some inspiration from something similar I saw on YouTube this is what I ended up with. 

I just need to address a little wheel slippage but otherwise it works surprisingly well!  It's not pretty but I smile while I use it knowing I still have the $200-$300 in my pocket that I'd spend too buy a CHEAP alternative. That's extra beer, gas and compounding pads for me...... :D. I have no shame.

20190812-203310.jpg

Have you though about filling for a patent?

What ever floats (or moves) your boat. 

Works for me. Nice!

Denny.