jsather007

Who's boated Apostle Islands / Madeline Island? Recomendations?

It seems like we don't have a big active membership from the MN/WI and Lake Superior area but I'm hoping to get some feedback from the few of us there are.

I'm looking at taking the family on a road trip to Lake Superior to check out The Apostle Islands.  There is an outside chance we could do this over Labor Day weekend but that seems like a nightmare of being way overcrowded.  Right?

I'd trailer the boat, it is a 19 footer so we clearly would not be sleeping on the boat.  So what are good overnight options that would be affordable and fun for a family of 6?  We have a family cabin a little less than 3 hours away so it's possible we could make a day drip out of it as well by leaving really early and coming back late.  Maybe that is an option to just check it out for the first time then make plans for a longer stay at another time.

I'm open to all information and suggestions.  Camping?  Mooring options? Is there AirBNB?  What has been your experience there?  What should I be cautious about?  What should be avoided and what should not be missed?

I've never been on "the big lake" so would be staying near shore for the most part and keeping a very close eye on the weather.

Still hoping to get some insight from any of you that have been boating in the Apostle Islands....... Hello, anyone there?!?!? :)

In the meantime I have found some of the basic information that is available from the government sources that oversee the area.  I figured I'd add them here for others that run past this in the future.

Here is the basic boating information.

https://www.nps.gov/apis/planyourvisit/boating.htm

And here is where you would go to get camping info and reservations.  Sort of nice to see the map of all the camping areas as well as where the docks are located throughout the islands.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/251865

Can't help with the local scene, but around here accommodations have been filled for some time for Labor Day.  Your mileage may vary, though.  :D

Maybe check to see if there's anywhere to stay at this point, and go from there.

Happy travels.

On 8/15/2019 at 10:22 AM, jsather007 said:

It seems like we don't have a big active membership from the MN/WI and Lake Superior area but I'm hoping to get some feedback from the few of us there are.

I'm looking at taking the family on a road trip to Lake Superior to check out The Apostle Islands.  There is an outside chance we could do this over Labor Day weekend but that seems like a nightmare of being way overcrowded.  Right?

I'd trailer the boat, it is a 19 footer so we clearly would not be sleeping on the boat.  So what are good overnight options that would be affordable and fun for a family of 6?  We have a family cabin a little less than 3 hours away so it's possible we could make a day drip out of it as well by leaving really early and coming back late.  Maybe that is an option to just check it out for the first time then make plans for a longer stay at another time.

I'm open to all information and suggestions.  Camping?  Mooring options? Is there AirBNB?  What has been your experience there?  What should I be cautious about?  What should be avoided and what should not be missed?

I've never been on "the big lake" so would be staying near shore for the most part and keeping a very close eye on the weather.

I know it is a little late to respond, but I just now seen your post. I have boated the Apostle Islands on one my trips a few years ago.

Don't know if you made it there or not, if I can help, let me know.  Denny.