Chaparral Web Team

Vinyl Cleaning Recommendations

28 posts in this topic

Here's a BIG tip for Vinyl Cleaning. I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but imagine I can't be the only one to have discovered this maintenance miracle:

I purchased a 1994 Sig27 two years ago. In good shape, but couldn't get the worn-in, baked-in 13 years of grime out of the vinyl. Had tried all kinds of soaps, expensive vinyl cleaners, etc. and lots of elbow gease. Nothing ever worked.

During this Spring's commissioning, I decided to try Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER which my wife through in the cleaning kit. Viola!!!!! The grime came right off, even out of the grooves and depressions. Applied a vinyl cleaner/protectant afterwards. My vinyl looks LIKE NEW!!!

I've since tried the MAGIC ERASER on other difficult-to-clean boat items and it worked equally well. It's truly amazing. Wouldn't be surprized to see marine stores starting to stock this product soon.

- PATRIOT ('94 Sig27, Maryland)

Here's a BIG tip for Vinyl Cleaning. I haven't seen this posted elsewhere, but imagine I can't be the only one to have discovered this maintenance miracle:

I purchased a 1994 Sig27 two years ago. In good shape, but couldn't get the worn-in, baked-in 13 years of grime out of the vinyl. Had tried all kinds of soaps, expensive vinyl cleaners, etc. and lots of elbow gease. Nothing ever worked.

During this Spring's commissioning, I decided to try Mr. Clean MAGIC ERASER which my wife through in the cleaning kit. Viola!!!!! The grime came right off, even out of the grooves and depressions. Applied a vinyl cleaner/protectant afterwards. My vinyl looks LIKE NEW!!!

I've since tried the MAGIC ERASER on other difficult-to-clean boat items and it worked equally well. It's truly amazing. Wouldn't be surprized to see marine stores starting to stock this product soon.

- PATRIOT ('94 Sig27, Maryland)

PATRIOT is on to something folks. I have tried multiple marine vinyl cleaners, which did ok, with a ton of elbow grease. I tried the magic eraser and it worked instantly. I was/am worried about harming the vinyl though, so I called Proctor and Gamble and was told the following. They have not completed testing of Magic Eraser on upholstery or fabrics. They do certify it for use on vinyl, such as windows, but not vinyl upholstery. The rep said that if I choose to use it, be careful, the key is to use it lightly, which is not a problem, because even using lightly, the vinyl brightens right up. After cleaning I will use a vinyl protectant and conditioner.

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Looks wimpy, a little costly for what you seem to be getting, but what a product for the boater! I used them on multiple surfaces and a variety of dirt problems cleaning my 183SS. Great for removing aluminum rub marks off 'glass even gets misc. scuff marks off diamond decking. mildew and dirt on vinyl...all kinds of stuff.

Don't know what's in them, but they keep working until they fall apart.

Two suggestions though. 1. They don't need much water. Don't let them float in the bucket for hours. 2. Don't give up on them. Rub another 15-20 seconds. They will produce when other products fail.

The secret's out.

AGREED! Great product for the boat. It got off some rub marks on the hull that I had been trying to get out with other products for weeks.

PATRIOT is on to something folks. I have tried multiple marine vinyl cleaners, which did ok, with a ton of elbow grease. I tried the magic eraser and it worked instantly. I was/am worried about harming the vinyl though, so I called Proctor and Gamble and was told the following. They have not completed testing of Magic Eraser on upholstery or fabrics. They do certify it for use on vinyl, such as windows, but not vinyl upholstery. The rep said that if I choose to use it, be careful, the key is to use it lightly, which is not a problem, because even using lightly, the vinyl brightens right up. After cleaning I will use a vinyl protectant and conditioner.

Hi! I am a new boat owner and am cleaning my interior for the first time. It is a 12 year old Sunesta 232. The previous owners kept it on a lift, covered and was in excellent shape when we got it. We have kept it in the water for 6 months and are just now cleaning for the first time. It looks like the Magic Eraser is the way to go for the interior and I am eager to try that out tomorrow when it stops raining here in South Carolina! :) What products do you recommend for vinyl protectant and conditioner? I would appreciate your guidance.

Sincerely,

LHB1

Hi! I am a new boat owner and am cleaning my interior for the first time. It is a 12 year old Sunesta 232. The previous owners kept it on a lift, covered and was in excellent shape when we got it. We have kept it in the water for 6 months and are just now cleaning for the first time. It looks like the Magic Eraser is the way to go for the interior and I am eager to try that out tomorrow when it stops raining here in South Carolina! :) What products do you recommend for vinyl protectant and conditioner? I would appreciate your guidance.

Sincerely,

LHB1

I use this on my vinyl:

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...FTOKEN=20578171

For Boats 2006-Present You should follow these recommendations. (click here to download .pdf)

DuraLife.jpg

Guidance for Older Model Boats will be coming shortly.

So what about boats prior to 2006? What is the corporation's position on the older boats.

Sincerely,

LHB1

Welcome to the forum LHB1. We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers to help us help you:

1. Add into your signature your location (geographic area)

2. Add into your signature the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

the eraser works ok. If you have large hands good look with this thing. i tried it and it worked ok. you will still have to use your cleaner with it.

Sincerely,

LHB1

I really like the 3M products for vinyl. They leave the vinyl feeling smooth with out a greasy feeling. They also protect for a long time.

Magic eraser also takes out tanic acid stains on boat hulls - good for a quick clean up during the season - slimy grimy for the whole hulld during winter prep.

Another vote for the Magic Eraser. I had tried several things to remove some stubborn stains from the vinyl with no success. Magic Eraser took care of it in seconds. I followed up with the vinyl cleaner/protectant and so far everything looks great!

Anybody have any experience with the long-term effects of this wonderful cleaner? I hate to think it's destroying my vinyl, but it did what nothing else could do.

Another vote for the Magic Eraser. I had tried several things to remove some stubborn stains from the vinyl with no success. Magic Eraser took care of it in seconds. I followed up with the vinyl cleaner/protectant and so far everything looks great!

Anybody have any experience with the long-term effects of this wonderful cleaner? I hate to think it's destroying my vinyl, but it did what nothing else could do.

I have used it regularly and no long term effects. Just need to make sure that you reapply protectorant to vinyl and wax on gel coat afterwards where ever used.

Sounds great. Is this something you can pick up at the supermarket, hardwarestore, or do you need to mgo online to get it. Thanks Ive been looking for something to spruce up the seats in my '97 240 Sig. :beer-7687-1:

I tried to clean up the mildew stains on the vinyl seats of our 2000 Sig 240 using Magic Eraser and I'm sorry to report that it didn't work. Rather than ruin the seats with other products, I decided to hire a detailer to clean everything for us. He's due to do the cleaning of the seats, the cabin carpet and the cabin backrests tomorrow. I'll see how it all turns out and, if I can get the information from him, will let you know what he used. Hy

went through 3 magic erasers today getting my new to me boat looking new again. Had nasty stains on the vinyl that could not be touched with anything but a powder cleaner and nylon brush. I know that is the worst thing I could do but the plan is for all new vinyl this winter since there are many tears including a very large one on the back sun pad. Somebody that saw the boat last weekend and today said it looked like an entirely different boat. We will be keeping the magic erasers in the boat at all times for quick cleaning.

I first discovered these little jewels when my boat was parked close to some trees and no chemical in the world would get the nasty black off the swim platform. A little work with a couple magic erasers and it looked like new. I'm pretty sure they put real magic in them!

no chemical in the world would get the nasty black off the swim platform.

There are special product type available for this task - marine non-skid deck cleaners.

They are different brands and available on-line and in marine stores.

Also you will need a brush.

If you've got tar spots from spruce or pine, denatured or regular alcohol is needed before any other cleaners.

i carry several magic erasers on board all the time. they work great on the hull. you can wear them out very quickly on the non-skid. on vinyl, once clean you should use a protector. it is a great product.

Hello,

Just wondering how the detailing went for you. I know it has been awhile since your post. I was just curious.

I tried to clean up the mildew stains on the vinyl seats of our 2000 Sig 240 using Magic Eraser and I'm sorry to report that it didn't work. Rather than ruin the seats with other products, I decided to hire a detailer to clean everything for us. He's due to do the cleaning of the seats, the cabin carpet and the cabin backrests tomorrow. I'll see how it all turns out and, if I can get the information from him, will let you know what he used. Hy

I just cleaned 20 years of grime and crud off all my vinyl in my boat with the Magic Eraser! I am soooo glad I found this thread. I used cleaners specifically designed for boat vinyl that didn't do as good of a job. Then one pass with some elbow grease and boom! Then I just applied a protectant afterwards and everything looks like BRAND NEW!!! Awesome stuff!CameraZOOM-20130406165729503.jpgCameraZOOM-20130407145454848.jpg

Magic Erasers are the bomb.

You can also buy the generic magic erasers at Walmart for a third of the price. They work just as well.