Mike Up North

2008 350 Signature NMEA 2000

15 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Here is my before and after:

C9N9Z4T.jpg

9NjLhoG.jpg

That is exactly my overall goal! Looks great! The option below may come into the mix also for along with one or two larger MFDs for radar and charts etc. I will decide when I start seeing what data is available on the network.

i70sScreenFan.jpg

1 minute ago, Mike Up North said:

That is exactly my overall goal! Looks great! The option below may come into the mix also for along with one or two larger MFDs for radar and charts etc. I will decide when I start seeing what data is available on the network.

i70sScreenFan.jpg

Yes.  I would have probably gone with a different gauge than the VV4 if I weren't also using it as an engine gateway.  You have so much more flexibility with the YachtDevices (or Mercury) gateway.  Of course, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a SimRad system; although I don't know what they have in the way of a panel device such as the VV4 or your Raymarine idea above.  I find the Raymarine lagging in processor power.  The SimRad (ESS7, I believe) has much more processing power and less screen lag I am told.

7 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yes.  I would have probably gone with a different gauge than the VV4 if I weren't also using it as an engine gateway.  You have so much more flexibility with the YachtDevices (or Mercury) gateway.  Of course, if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with a SimRad system; although I don't know what they have in the way of a panel device such as the VV4 or your Raymarine idea above.  I find the Raymarine lagging in processor power.  The SimRad (ESS7, I believe) has much more processing power and less screen lag I am told.

I have only leaned towards Raymarine because it's already on the boat. The radar is an open array and I am not sure I want to replace everything with another brand right off the bat. 

33 minutes ago, Mike Up North said:

I have only leaned towards Raymarine because it's already on the boat. The radar is an open array and I am not sure I want to replace everything with another brand right off the bat. 

Raymarine uses Seatalk. Which you just need a adapter to go from one to the other.

25 minutes ago, Iggy said:

Raymarine uses Seatalk. Which you just need a adapter to go from one to the other.

So are you are saying it's easy to interface one brand with another? It just sounds so RARE!

6 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

So are you are saying it's easy to interface one brand with another? It just sounds so RARE!

Please remember that Seatalk is how Raymarine devices send data to each other. NMEA2k is based on that setup/protocol.

Case in point.. Yacht Devices sent me a Seatalk gateway. Not a NMEA2k one! To send it back since there in Europe, was big bucks. With a litte digging on the net. I made up a cable that from the Seatalk connector to NEAM2k. Its been working for 2 years now.

7 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

Yep, just go with exactly the way @TexasPilot71 did his.  How can you not like that setup?  But he does also have Vessel View4 which you might not need in your case.  You just have a bit of work to basically redo your dashboard. Not difficult at all if you know how to cut wood or even metal.  There's a fella on the Modifications thread that is redoing his entire 276ssx dashboard with a new (what looks lie to me) brushed stainless steel, looks amazing but I think he's going to paint it, black, I think.  I told him I would leave it in the metallic look.

For your Signature and year, they almost exclusively came with that faux, wood grain veneer.  Don't know how you like it, but personally, I don't.  And if you're redoing all that stuff, make it out of a material that is unique and very cool-looking.

8 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

I'm actually writing this question down for my list of questions for the Garmin Seminar I'm attending in a little over a week.  My guess is the answer is probably an unequivocally "NO!  But you never know.  I might get the answer that if you have the right connection or you add this particular T before hooking up your Raymarine open array radar antenna to a Simrad chartplotter that it might just work! :D Imagine if that was the case?  You would see more of it out there, but I tend to see more of all the same, from the radar to the GPS.

12 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

Yep, same here.  I replaced the Radar too, but because the hole patterns were the same, I went with another Raymarine unit.

5 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yep, just go with exactly the way @TexasPilot71 did his.  How can you not like that setup?  But he does also have Vessel View4 which you might not need in your case.  You just have a bit of work to basically redo your dashboard. Not difficult at all if you know how to cut wood or even metal.  There's a fella on the Modifications thread that is redoing his entire 276ssx dashboard with a new (what looks lie to me) brushed stainless steel, looks amazing but I think he's going to paint it, black, I think.  I told him I would leave it in the metallic look.

For your Signature and year, they almost exclusively came with that faux, wood grain veneer.  Don't know how you like it, but personally, I don't.  And if you're redoing all that stuff, make it out of a material that is unique and very cool-looking.

Yeah, a few new dash plates will probably be needed.  The stock ones show some wear and tear already. Is there anyone that sells new plates that are blank or do I have to have it made custom?

5 hours ago, Iggy said:

Please remember that Seatalk is how Raymarine devices send data to each other. NMEA2k is based on that setup/protocol.

Case in point.. Yacht Devices sent me a Seatalk gateway. Not a NMEA2k one! To send it back since there in Europe, was big bucks. With a litte digging on the net. I made up a cable that from the Seatalk connector to NEAM2k. Its been working for 2 years now.

I get what you were saying. My Yacht Device interface is on its way. I didn't know it was shipping through the Russian Post Office, hopefully that doesn't take too long.

23 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yep, same here.  I replaced the Radar too, but because the hole patterns were the same, I went with another Raymarine unit.

My Raymarine E80 is so dated, I am not sure which newer display(s) I want to switch to. There were a few adapter plates a few years ago that Raymarine made to switch out the E80 with a newer model but that model is another legacy model. 

3 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

Yeah, a few new dash plates will probably be needed.  The stock ones show some wear and tear already. Is there anyone that sells new plates that are blank or do I have to have it made custom?

There’s a few posts around where people have reused the stock plates and sanded the fake wood grain off and recovered with some 3M vinyl in various patterns. As for blank with no gauge cutouts and just the exterior outline, I don’t think so. Shouldn’t be that hard to trace and cut new ones from some thin stainless plate. 

2 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

My Raymarine E80 is so dated, I am not sure which newer display(s) I want to switch to. There were a few adapter plates a few years ago that Raymarine made to switch out the E80 with a newer model but that model is another legacy model. 

Something to check, but my Raymarine radar was installed in the factory with my E80 MFD. My radar is not compatible with the newer Raymarine MFDs. I know that’s not what you want hear, but it’s my experience. 

15 hours ago, Mike Up North said:

Seatalk is just NMEA 2K with a different connector because Raymarine wanted to be difficult. 

8 hours ago, Hatem said:

The OP won’t need the VV4. In Texas’ case, the VV4 is his gateway to covert the engine data to NMEA 2K protocol. It also happens to have a display built in. The engines do not output data in NMEA 2K format until you get into the mid-2010’s. Unless you have a relatively new boat, you’ll need a gateway to convert the engine’s protocol (J1939 is common) to the NMEA 2K protocol. A gateway is just an interpreter basically. 

1 hour ago, rjbergen said:

There’s a few posts around where people have reused the stock plates and sanded the fake wood grain off and recovered with some 3M vinyl in various patterns. As for blank with no gauge cutouts and just the exterior outline, I don’t think so. Shouldn’t be that hard to trace and cut new ones from some thin stainless plate. 

Something to check, but my Raymarine radar was installed in the factory with my E80 MFD. My radar is not compatible with the newer Raymarine MFDs. I know that’s not what you want hear, but it’s my experience. 

Yeah, I figured I might have to find a local person to cut me one from a metal of my choice. As far as the radar, that is not something I want to hear but I have done little research. I hope you are wrong, lol! Thanks for the info.