JT1

2001 180SSE

Hi all, I’m a new boat owner. My friend gave me his 2001 180 SSE because he neglected it. It sat through several winters without ever being winterized and the boat was parked because it wouldn’t move forward or backward. 

I do believe the drive issue is because of a frayed or broken cable.  It has a Volvo Penta SX drive on the back and a Mercruiser 3.0L lx for Motor.  

I plan to start looking at it this upcoming weekend. I’m going to have to drain/siphon the fuel, replace battery and most likely remove and clean carburetor just to try to see if it will start. I’m hoping it will not need an engine.  

I noticed a garden hose fitting at back of boat, does anyone know what purpose it serves?

I am sure I will have a lot of questions after I start to look at it on Saturday

Thanks in advance 

First of all good luck with your project and welcome to the forum.

The hose fitting that you are seeing is more than likely a fresh water flush port used for flushing your engine when you boat in salt water.

Thanks Coldone. I thought that might be why it was there. Tomorrow is the big day that I start to try and get this engine running. 

Any thoughts on the best way to get out the 6 year old gasoline?  I bought a siphon tube but maybe this won’t work. Maybe I hook up siphon tube to fuel pump inlet hose and drain that way. Any thoughts appreciated

thanks

9 hours ago, JT1 said:

It has a Volvo Penta SX drive on the back and a Mercruiser 3.0L lx for Motor.  

That sounds a bit unusual... I've never heard of a mix like that. 

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

That sounds a bit unusual... I've never heard of a mix like that. 

I hope somebody along the way hasn’t mix matched parts. My friend bought it used

Not winterized is how I got my first boat. Owner came to me to fix the engine that had frozen and broke. In the process of changing the block he expressed interest in selling it and at a good price so I bought it. 1987 Bayliner 2152 Capri Cuddy I bought in 1991. In rough shape but great for me to learn on. I gave it to a friend when I bought my 215 SSi in 2008.

6 hours ago, JT1 said:

I hope somebody along the way hasn’t mix matched parts. My friend bought it used

Is that even possible ? 

13 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Is that even possible ? 

engine blocks are the same so the interface parts should bolt to either merc or volvo.  If the oe Volvo engine failed, a more common merc replacement would seem likely to me.

22 hours ago, Dennis A said:

engine blocks are the same so the interface parts should bolt to either merc or volvo.  If the oe Volvo engine failed, a more common merc replacement would seem likely to me.

Exactly, and not all that uncommon.   Boat builders do not mix and match parts on an OEM build, but servicing dealers do.   W

I made a little progress yesterday. I removed the gas from tank, over 15 gallons of fuel that was very dark in color. It was flammable though. Then added 3 gallons of fresh, replaced battery and tried to start. No luck so I beat the #$^% out of the starter motor and it began to crank. With some starting fluid it was running and sounded kind of good except for the knocking from the starting fluid. Boat engine will not run on its own. 

There is no fuel getting to carburetor. I’m going to replace the fuel pump and have the starter motor rebuilt. Everything bolted to the engine says Volvo Penta (alternator, drive belt and some brackets). I guess the block was replaced with the Mercruiser, I tried to find some block stamping or tag to identify but no luck.  

I also know it needs a shifter cable, I can see it’s frayed and binding. 

This boat is a 2001 180 SSE.  Not sure what year the motor is. Where can I buy parts for this boat?  I want a fuel pump, shifter cable and carburetor overhaul kit to start with. 

Thanks

I forgot to mention I did remove the spark plugs and no water came flying out of cylinders while cranking it. Spark plugs were mismatched, 3 Champion and 1 NGK plug. I always worry when I see things like that. 

On 8/24/2019 at 7:16 AM, Dennis A said:

I guess parts is parts... I was not aware.