Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Hooking up an all - Volvo Penta NMEA2K with bluetooth interface connection.

2 hours ago, dan02gt said:

On the Mercruiser 4.3L MPI that was in my old boat is was located on the power steering cooler.  My current boat has the Volvo V8-270 and I'm not convinced it actually a pressure sensor.  I have the Yacht Devices NMEA Gateway and I don't get a water pressure readout on my Garmin either.

Cool, thanks for that.  I was a actually very surprised they would add the sensor for water pressure at the power steering cooler.  Seems like a weird spot for it just off the top of my head.  

Garmin guy is going through some stuff and said he'll get back to me about the gas and oil.  I have to look up my manual to see what size tank I have.  I always thought it was 85 gallons but maybe it's 80 and when in plugged that info in, it didnt coincide for some reason but the PSI should work without a question, unless, of course, it's a bad sensor.  Plus I don't think it should care what capacity the gas tank is since it's completely separated from the engine.....UNLESS, for some odd reason the actual tank capacity is programmed into the engine's computer or ECM.

The funny thing is aside from a few of the functions which incidentally are the ones NOT functioning!!!  I have everything else on all my dash guages and/or smartcraft lol.  So the whole thing is mostly a fun addition to have, really.

On 9/7/2019 at 9:29 PM, Hatem said:

Had to reset a few factory settings on my 741xs to get a few more gauges and I'm having issues with the fuel capacity on the existing tank.  I had originally put in (don't ask me why but when it asked me, I said 85 gallons but that must be incorrect or the reading it's getting is conflicting with it) so I'll call Garmin on Monday to get the rest of the very few gauges that are not displaying up and running.

Hatem, I believe your ‘10 holds 105-gallons of fuel. Hopefully there’s a legible nameplate on the tank to confirm with.

17 hours ago, Curt said:

Hatem, I believe your ‘10 holds 105-gallons of fuel. Hopefully there’s a legible nameplate on the tank to confirm with.

Thanks.  Not sure how I got 85 gallons from but it is a 105 gallon tank and now that I spoke to one of the Garmin support guys, I also know how to set it up correctly so that all the other gas-related items automatically work on their own. 

So Garmin Support is really fantastic!  I gotta put in the good word for them because I called them 3 times for certain issues and they were very patient with me and you can tell that they're very well trained.

Now I know how to get all the PSI settings working (I won't get into details since I don't think anyone else on this forum is using the Volvo Penta Interface) but it is really terrific. I  For me, being an all-Volvo item is extremely important to me and that's why I chose it.  And the conventional way of setting up the Gateway with the 3 Ts is actually not correct, at least in my case.  It might be the conventional way to set up a backbone but it didn't work with the Interface and the 741xs.  So keep that in mind if you wish to do the same thing.  Once I get back on the boat -- hopefully sometime this week -- I'll take and post more pics on how the backbone is setup in this case (hint-you only need 2 Ts instead of 3) and also if anyone else has any other form of NMEA2K network on their boats and have the 741xs and some of the gauges aren't showing up, Garmin Support a call and they'll be very helpful.  The only bad part was that because they are inundated with calls, the wait time for all 3 times that I called was an average of 18-20 minutes.  But they do give you the option to plug in your phone number and they'll call you back without losing your spot in line. 

The interesting 2 items that I talked a lot about after getting all the PSI information I needed first were Environment and Wind.  So what I need for those to work (since they are not related to the engine in any way shape or form) is to install a NMEA2K wind antenna!!!!  When he told me that, I asked him if he had a recommendation and he gave me one which I wrote down and will look into.   But the funny part is that I stopped by West Marine on my way home to see if and what they had and I just about fell and rolled from laughing since he showed me one of those sailboat antennas with on of those weather vanes that spin around looool.  Yeah, I've built a few additions and homes where we've had custom or premade weather vanes made out of copper installed on (usually) the garage.  So yeah, I searched this morning and I think there are much less cumbersome ones (even very small and quite invisible ones) that would match a 276ssx much better than a sailboat weathervane!  They just have to be NMEA2K compatible, otherwise they won't work.

I like unique things a lot, but I do have a limit I strictly adhere to.  This is the type the fella showed me which would be quite hilarious!

See the source image

If I decide to do something to get the weather and environment gauges set up, it'll have to get something something much more discreet-looking.  Anyone have a NMEA2K weather antenna set up, please share which one you used.

Some of the ones that popped up on Google were much more compatible with the style of the boat.  something like this, even those it's for Hummingbird, at least this is what would be ideal.

AS ETH NMEA2K NMEA Networking Box by Humminbird LARGE

So I'm happy that I am getting oil pressure, just the oil gauge itself is not showing me how much oil but that might be a menu setting which I will find out and keep you posted on but either way, checking oil is part of my daily engine checks anyway.  Before every outing, I open the hatch, inspect a bunch of stuff on my list which I have written on my booklet and go through them one by one (there's 13 of them IIRC) but the 2nd one is check the oil, so I pull out the dipstick and take a look and so far this season it's been right on the hash mark so if that doesn't end up showing up, I'm ok with that as long as the oil pressure is there and it is.  The gas PSI will work as soon as I follow Chris' instruction through the menu settings.  Oh and I must say, that G3 Buechart vision is EXCEPTIONAL!  I have things CLEALY showing up that the built-in G2 did not show, including new channels that I'm assuming were recently dredged.  So if anyone has a Garmin of any type that accepts new cards, I HIGHLY recommend installing the G3 card and you have the option of several areas of the country.  You can get ones that only show your area, or the east coast only or very specific areas. I chose the entire United States because I travel also and don't want my charts restricted..

The bottom gauge that shows the B and goes from 0 to 30 to (I'm assuming 60) since the needle is blocking that number) is the engine BOOST.  Just for those who might be wondering WTF that is. :) 

RUgoshK.jpg

When you say gas PSI are you talking about fuel pressure?  That doesn't work on mine either.  I was assuming that mine engine doesn't have a sensor for fuel pressure.

2 hours ago, dan02gt said:

When you say gas PSI are you talking about fuel pressure?  That doesn't work on mine either.  I was assuming that mine engine doesn't have a sensor for fuel pressure.

Yes, I was actually told that will come up once I get into the menues and fill in the fuel tank info and other things it asks you for.  We'll see what happens.

19 hours ago, dan02gt said:

I can't get to the boat today since I'm starting a new project which is a shame because this will be the best day of the week and in the 80's and humid!  But I'll type out the instructions he gave me and maybe you can try it yourself if you like.  I have to look at my notes which I don't have in front of me ATM but you need to get into "Menu", then "Gas Fill-Up" and fill in all the requested information and according to Chris at Garmin, that automatically sets up the gas PSI gauge.  At least that's what I was told so you can try that since that's what I'll be doing.

I'm also very interested in seeing if I can activate this wind and complete the environment numbers, but the NMEA2K antenna needs to be tiny and putting into the NM2K network by adding it through the backbone with its own, additional T should work since there you can't hook it up straight into the GPS with only one inlet for the NEMA2K network on the 741xs.  Not sure what  it's like on your 742, but man that would be nice if they had like a double row of triple NM2K inlet plugs for that.

But having all the wind stuff is really not that necessary unless you do a lot of offshore fishing.  But coming into the marina, I always look at which way the flag is blowing and that's usually enough to know whether backing in will be a disaster and I'll lose the bow for sure, or if it will be blowing exactly towards the dock like last time which was the best backing in I ever did.  Maybe I'm just getting better but I think the wind and current had a lot to do with it.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:04 PM, dan02gt said:

So I haven't tried it yet since the only time I've been able to get on the boat since was yesterday morning at sunrise to try to catch some bonitas which are supposed to be all over the place this time of year, so I didn't spend much time on the NMEA2K adjustments since I had to hurry and get back by 10 so I can get to work and pay the guys etc.

But funny thing, check this out, before turning the key, all gauges lit up on the PSIs, lol.

nhDo9Mu.jpg

But did the water and gas did disappear once I cranked the engine.  Just thought that was interesting and worthy of showing.

BTW, a good tip to anyone who wants to use the Volvo Interface, while talking to many, many many people and places about getting all these gauges working, I was referred to a local boat electrician who installs these and knows about them and he told me to forget about the 3rd T on the gateway with whatever gender end connector it on it and plug the NMEA2K cable that goes from the gateway to the GPS directly to that end connector on the T.  He told me that is one unnecesasriy added step that the manual tells you to do and in many cases, most gauges don't even show up with that T.  So that's what I did and didn't notice any immediate difference but once I go through them all and check the Bluetooth, I'll keep you posted. But it totally made sense to me.

So I went from the conventional way of installing the gateway Ts...

TceYuH0.jpg

To a straight connection off the side of the power T and right into the GPS.

niJbKiY.jpg

Here's the 12vt dedicated 16g I ran straight from the 2nd house battery straight to the new box I showed earlier and clipped it with the Volvo Interface cable while it ran along the gunwale.  One thing to be very careful off is once you bypass the throttle control, you need to be carefully not to get in its way since it has a lot of its own cabling and connections coming out of it. 

8sHT2k7.jpg

So it appears I have a 103 gallon gas tank.  Not sure why they label it as a 105 gallon capacity in most documentations.  I brought home my chapy blue bad to dig out the manual and see what it says but I got in there and there wasn't much space between the top of the tank where they paced this metal tag to the bottom of the deck.  So I had to squeeze my phone to get this pic but clearly that does say 103 gallons.  Anyone disagree?

Zhs4Atb.jpg

tYtk2sE.jpg

Couple of new, neat discoveries I never knew is it's about 20-25 additional gallons than I originally thought plus if you look at the bottom left, it says "recommended for ......or diesel" hard to read if they meant to write "regular" or something that eludes to 10% ethanol gas.  If anyone has the same thing or know what is supposed to be there, please mention it so it would be nice to know what it says. 

My tank says gas/diesel on the label. 

I'm trying to figure out the fuel tanks on my Garmin too. I traced the wires from the sendor on the tank and they go to the dash where they connect to the Chaparral digital guage that I think is a rebranded Faria Mg3000.  So I'm starting to think that I can't get this information from my engine interface and will have to add a NMEA fuel sender. 

On my 4.3L MPI Mercruiser that was in my old boat I added a harness that connected to a plug on the engine and gave you fuel level, speed from the pilot tube, and trim on the Mermonitor SmartCraft guage that I had. I'm wondering if Volvo has something similar. 

Volvo is like learning a new language for me after spending so many years with Mercury.