Sign in to follow this  
Hatem

Great White Sharks in Cape Cod & Massachusetts

I've been talking about this for a while now and while I'm aware most Chaparral owners here are lake boat owners, I'm sure you'll still enjoy the topic of sharks and particularly great white sharks.  Someone made the comment on another thread that even where they boat, they rarely see any seals and seals are the primary food source for the great white shark but just like any predator, if you see carrion or dead food, why go through the trouble and aggravation of hunting when you can just feed on a dead animal?

Great whites have been a source of problems for many who enjoy the Cape in the summer time since it's LOADED with seals of several types, and "perhaps" climate change has caused this phenomenon but we've never had this many great white sharks in Massachusetts in many years and in the last 10 years or so, they're been showing up in greater numbers and last year there were 2 incidents on the shore.  One was a doctor who decided to go out and swim with the seals and got severely bit by a great white (I will post the link to the pic of his injury and give fair warning) and a few weeks later, a young Brazilian fellow was boogie boarding and a great white thought her was a seal and usually the first bit is very aggressive because the seals try to get away, so GW puts all he has in that first bite and of course the poor lad was just floating waiting for a wave when the great white struck in full force that it literally bit the guy in half.  Doctor survived but of course this fella was pronounced dead at the hospital even though he was probably instantly killed.

So we have a pretty interesting and evolving eco system problem and just last week I uploaded the shark-siting app on my phone and it's amazing how many sitings were posted in the last month.

On another forum, since the gentleman posted the pictures and video that he just encountered of a dead humpback wale he saw floating around, her approached it to get a closer look and saw a few blue sharks feeding of it and then decided to send his drone up and was greeted with quite the surprise.

fullsizeoutput_1fdc_fa7dc7e8a86391c138c3

A GW smelled the dead carcass and showed up for an easy meal.  This guy got some of the best footage you'll see.  He posted it on Instagram.  Here's the link to the video, it's pretty awesome. 

Anyone have any videos or comments, don't hesitate.  We're actually heading down (trailering the 276ssx) to the center of where all this takes place which is Chatham, MA, in a few weeks to see if we could get any footage like what that fellow did on his drone.  That was pretty dam awesome and even though they scare the living daylights out of me, I can't wait to see one swim up to our swim platform and get a great look at it.

This is a stretch much further south that where the doctor was hit who was in Truro beach which is a spectacular beach are with dunes etc.  Lucky seal and looks like a young  GW which missed unlike most adults would've nailed that poor little seal.

Anyone else love sharks and is scared to death of them, post away. :) 

This is the link to the doctor who got hit by a Great White while brilliantly swimming with seals (he thought it would be fun and I'm sure it would be, just not in the middle of shark season in shark infested areas with shark warnings everywhere!)  Not sure what he was thinking and kudos to the other doctors that save him.  I don't know how you patch this @#$%@# up!  But he's been in rehab and walking with crutches and recovering as I'm following his story.

WARNING,VERY GRAPHIC PICTURE OF AN INJURY CAUSED BY A GREAT WHITE SHARK ATTACK.

https://i.imgur.com/ShVsZd9.jpg

I thought that was some amazing footage.  Might be better off leaving politics out of this lol but hey, I'm no moderator and I don't own this forum so I can't tell you what to say or what not to say. 

Also makes you wonder how the humback died in the first place and how the hurricane coming up from Florida will affect a lot of this ocean activity.  Some really interesting stuff for those who are into this kinda thing,

But I couldn't believe the amount of great white sightings in the past month on that shark sighting app, mostly all along the western coast of the cape and there were quite a few inside Massachusetts Bay as well.  If I can get a screen shot of it I'll post it.  It's quite frightening when you thing about it that there are so many sharks in what is normally known as cold water.  But the abundance of seals is really attracting them.  And there are several other species.  I think the most common one in these waters is the thresher shark which swims into a school of fish and slashes it's extra long tail knocking out or killing many fish within the school and then coming back and eating them one by one.  Unusual method for something that has lots of sharp teeth that it uses its tail for its weapon.

Too many seals, sharks & people swimming together.   Oh well   Save the seals at any cost.

7 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

Too many seals, sharks & people swimming together.   Oh well   Save the seals at any cost.

Watch this!  This is Monomoy Island right south of Chatham where we're headed in a few weeks (I hope) to the right of Martha's Vineyard if you look at the grand map and tell me what you think about seal population?  Not factoring diseases and all this other stuff.  This video is unreal.  Try counting them.

Here's the video the fella made of the whole thing BUT, if anyone notices something EXTRAORDINARY at minute 0:39!!!!!!  I've seen those up close but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought they were capable of doing what this drone footage captured at that exact time, lower left corner.  Anyone notice what that is? 

No one noticed the incredible thing that happened at minute 0.39?  Anyone identify what that was?  That might be the only time that species is filmed doing that and this guy got it on his drone camera ( @TexasPilot71 and @jeffk what do you guys think of that drone footage) and it is about as phenomenal as can be.  I guess it's tough getting any interest from a crowd on a mostly lake boating forum LOL!  The only thing we got so far was "maybe invite all the Democrat contenders to a picnick and a swim"? really? lol. 

Oh yeah, and @cyclops2's post about saving the seals.  You actually brought up a great point because that was discussed at many town meetings and has been proposed by many residents of Cape Cod because they feel the presence of the great white shark is, of course, due to the abundance of the sea lions and what you saw in that incredible video of the guy flying the airplane along Monomoy Island was a tiny fraction of the seal population around here , so I don't think they will put a bounty on the seals simply because of the pro-animal lobbyist out there.

But this guy said he and his buddy spent the better part of 6 hours near that carcass and the video shows the best shots overall and shows how that shark, as huge as it was just didn't come in and start chomping away at the dead wale.  It took it's sweet $^& time, circled it, then circled the boat, then made larger circles then came back and circled again, then disappeared for a while then came back and repeated the same process many times before beginning its eating of the whale.  I guess that just goes to show how cautious those animals are and perhaps it might not have done all of that if the boat wasn't present.  But certainly some fascinating stuff, at least for me LOL! 

that is an amazing video!  I would love to see a GW upclose but wouldn't want to be in the water, that's for sure.  I have always been intrigued by sharks and watch many hours of the shark week shows each august.  Thanks for the post!

Thanks, @summerx.  Yeah, always in the boat for sure. 

If you're familiar with the Massachusetts coast line, you'll understand that the whale carcass is traveling northward at a rapid pace since this morning, it was photographed off Duxbury beach which is quite a ways from what is officially called Cape Cod.  Notice Duxbury harbor master keeping an eye on things. 

whale_ec3324de9e039913343e9985010f96a201

So at that rate, maybe in a week or two it should be in our neighborhood LOL!

This will kinda show where things are.  So where it shows "Sagamore" is where the Cape Cod Canal is that separates MA from the Cape in a non-official manner but then you move north of the canal and you can see how far Duxbury is from the canal.  The fella who filmed it is from Newport, Rhode Island and not sure where in the Cape he saw the shark chomping at the wale, but even if it was anywhere near the canal, that thing has traveled quite the distance in just a few days.  I asked when it would make it to Salem loool.  (If you open the map in a separate tab, you can enlarge it to see better, if you wish)

map-of-eastern-massachusetts.jpg

This is what I was referring to at minute 0.39 where he made a separate video just for that simply because it is spectacular to see a huge Mola Mola Sunfish make a leaping breach like that.

So just a correction, the person who took the first video of the dead humpback had said it was seen in Duxbury as I stated above, but it turns out that is a different whale, a minke and not a humpback but it still had a pair of great whites feeding off it.  Just wanted to make that correction.  Great luck to run into something like this.

img_3456_bb00b5d11ea354f9078a72281f8fc3f

img_3465_4ccce8bc7e2a8ad2f8e6bced5377242

They don't seem like big sharks but of course, hard to tell from the pics.

img_3477_8e8ad98a5ab66f6c05264628a2ba4e8

I checked my shark-spotter app and the fact that these are in Duxbury means they're pretty much everywhere along the MA east coast, although the further north you get, there are less of them.

Sharks attack for several reasons.

Lack of off shore food...………… Excessive netting & seals eating everything.

They NEED blubber more than lean meat.

People act like they are challenging the sharks  OWNERSHIP of a area HE DECIDES is big enough.

Stay out of the water.  His warning bite is too much for our puny bodies.

Most people are NOT fully attacked & eaten.

Most times the shark does not repeatedly  bite as a person swims rapidly to shore.

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Sharks attack for several reasons.

Lack of off shore food...………… Excessive netting & seals eating everything.

They NEED blubber more than lean meat.

People act like they are challenging the sharks  OWNERSHIP of a area HE DECIDES is big enough.

Stay out of the water.  His warning bite is too much for our puny bodies.

Most people are NOT fully attacked & eaten.

Most times the shark does not repeatedly  bite as a person swims rapidly to shore.

I actually agree with everything you said. The local towns have called meetings to talk about the issue of the excessive seal population growth that is attracting the sharks and causing  in their minds, tourism to decline someone because people want to come to the Cape not just a hang (although that seems to be what the majority do) but a lot wanna swim in the beautiful waters and they're certainly not going swimming with great whites around, that's for sure. 

What I don't understand (and I don't know if you have seen it but did you take a look at that link I posted of the picture of the guy that got bit?) How on Earth did any doctor(s)not just put that skin and cuts together, but all the muscles and tissues and tendons and whatever, but the man is actually walking now hes on crutches but part of his right arm is also quite damaged from the injury, probably from when he was trying to hit and bat the shark off him eeesh I couldn't imagine.

And the other interesting part is why did the GW pick him out of the rest of the seals?

5 hours ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Wow!  That had to smell horrible!

Yeah you're always warned to position your boat upwind.  Good advice but on the ocean, I dont think it matters at all.  You're getting a woof of it no matter what you do lol unless you just stay way far away.  But what fun is that?  That guy had his boat practically anchored to the whale.

What did you think of that flying ocean sunfish?  That was incredible!

2 hours ago, Hatem said:

Yeah you're always warned to position your boat upwind.  Good advice but on the ocean, I dont think it matters at all.  You're getting a woof of it no matter what you do lol unless you just stay way far away.  But what fun is that?  That guy had his boat practically anchored to the whale.

What did you think of that flying ocean sunfish?  That was incredible!

Yeah, that was cool!  I'll start a thread with some amazing Alaska photos when I get caught up at work. 

He  was bitten because the shark DOES NOT want him in his stash / load of seals..

Sharks do not share seals.

The seals ALSO ATTRACT .   Bull Sharks.  Those can live completely in fresh water if needed.  The Bull has a very high Testosterone level .It could just as well kill as only bite.

Be extra careful taking a quick dip  Hatem.

10 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Be extra careful taking a quick dip  Hatem.

Be careful taking a quick dip?!  Clopadoadus, I'm not moving out of the 276 no matter what, my good old friend LOL.  What I really really really do is run a chum slick, kinda cause this: 

Not only drag a chum bucket, but run a chum slick that way we're guaranteed to see one but guess what.......................it's illegal.  So we have to take our chances I'll bring CB radio or find out how to listen to the spotting plane and maybe that will help us locate one.

Ever wonder why there are not THOUSANDS of other fish feeding on dead animals ?  Maybe they know sharks like some raw meat at times ?   Like a mouth wash.   :scratchchin:

5 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Ever wonder why there are not THOUSANDS of other fish feeding on dead animals ?  Maybe they know sharks like some raw meat at times ?   Like a mouth wash.   :scratchchin:

The second guy who got hit about a month or two after the doctor was a young, Brazilian fella who was boogie boarding and he wasn't alone from what I remember, so he was singled out.  That poor guy was bitten in half.  IIRC, he was pronounced dead in the ambulance in the driveway.   

But I would say a guy boogie boarding looks a lot more like a seal than a doctor swimming amongst them. 

Think how big that shark was if it was able to litterally bite a man in half right at the lower torso.  That's not a small shark.

This was posted on Twitter and happened 2 days ago at a Cape Cod beach called Nauset Beach which you can google if you are interested in exact locations and it's about halfway up the cape horn from the southern point (which is where we're going to the beautiful town of Chatham) to the northern most point where the beautiful and famous town of Provincetown is.

The weird thing is that this is very close to where the two awful encounters occurred last year and where the young, Brazilian boogie boarded got snapped in half.  So it's a bit bizarre no, wait, it's VERY STRANGE what goes through these people's minds.  This was posted by the Atlantic White Shark Conservation!  I guess he's probably ok that he has his legs lifted out of the water? lmfao! 

attachment.php?attachmentid=1105217&d=1569031460

loool here's the tweet.

https://twitter.com/A_WhiteShark/status/1175082422213496838

GREAT PIC by the Duxbury harbor master himself on one of the whites feeding off the dead minki whale.

EDdqQsWXsAEBsLL.jpg:large

What is frankly incredible and amazing is that these great whites are behaving just like the ones found at Cape Horn in South Africa, where they attack the seals by swimming very fast straight up and surprising the seal grabbing it while breaching the water surface at the same time.  This is a GW in Cape Cod!  Some fascinating stuff.

EE1Th0eXoAADIMx.jpg:large

I know this is mostly a lake boating site and there are a few Chaparral ocean boaters here, but I hope most of you (including lake boaters) find this thread interesting and worth the effort.  @cj-orca, knowing your interesting and love for orcas and especially your experience with getting up close to them, it would be nice to get your opinion on what is happening in the Cape these few years.  I'm heading to Chatham next weekend (no worries I'm staying in the boat and adding another new layer of additional Teflon tape to the boat plug lol) so I hope I get to at least see one and take a pic of it. 

LOL that picture above with the kid boogie boarding looking back at the great white shark fin went viral and even made the news.  CNN, FOX, ABC, CBS and NBC all showed it and interviewed the kid who apparently kept his calm and said the first thing he did was lift his legs out of the water loooooooool and then calmly turned around with very smooth paddling to minimize the splashing and the guy who took the pic even took a bunch of others as the kid caught a wave and made it back to shore safely.  Great stuff but dam, he looked very nerdy with his glasses and we know nerds are smart, so WTF was he doing boogie boarding almost exactly in the same location and time that the poor fella from last year got bit in half?!?!?!  It's an addiction, no question about it.  If you know there are GWs who come up and bite you in half yet you STILL go out where they are and get a pic like that taken of you, something is not right LMFAO! :haha-7383: Glad he was ok, though.  Sheesh.  Sharktivity APP pinged a single GW a lot closer south to where I'll be heading so let's hope for more pings, fellas.  We want pings galore.

Hopefully this is the Chatham that we will be boating and despite the fall temperatures quickly approaching, we will be out there.  But I have some stuff to do to the boat when I pull her out like clean and check the outdrive etc. but all that aside, saw something pretty cool on Twitter today that last Friday to a couple days ago was a rare Friday the 13th full Harvest Moon that rose over the over North Beach, Chatham. The last time was in October 2000 and won’t happen again until August 2049.  Figured this was the appropriate thread for it.

EEYsvy5X4AUzA1r.jpg

But once we get there, what we need to see is GW sharks!  The problem with that is that everyone I've spoken to from down there and everywhere in Cape Cod told me that throughout the years, the countless times they've seen them was by accident.  It's almost like when you go looking for something like a special bird species and you spend days searching for it in its specially known habitat but never spot it and a year later you'll be hiking through different woods and you get the best look at that bird! 

So I fear failure since we're not allowed to chum the waters or drag anything that can attract them that the only way to spot them will be to get a CB of some sorts and try to pick up the spotting plane's chatter.  Even if it's still active by the time we get down there which will be the last week of October.  But we'll try our best, that's for sure.  How many can claim they've seen a great white?  Would be pretty dam cool.

Any tips on cruising parallel to the shoreline?  That's what the gal at the Atlantic conservation told me to do.  Stay about 80-100 yards off the shore at 10-15mph and cruise up and down as many times as possible and I'm bound to run into one.  Wow will that be fantastic and a great (pun intended) way to end the season!

Once back, I'll have to see whether it's worth putting the boat back into the slip for the rest of October or just get busy on the next project.  Still a lot of fall boating and especially fishing to do.

4 sittings on Sharktvity this morning and we're scheduled to trailer the boat down there this weekend but the weather is looking bad.  It will suck if I have to call it off.  Dying to see one of these up close and get some footage as well as pics but the other good thing is that a volunteer from the Atlantic Shark Conservancy has been in constant contact wit me.  Even one just cruising the shoreline will be great to see.  Something like this below would really be outstanding.

See the source image