Sign in to follow this  
Youngz

Radio worked great right after I connected it.. then I started the engine

I got a new head unit which worked great when I hooked it up..  just had batteries on but the engine was not on.  Then the next morning I started the engine and tried to turn stereo on and NOTHING !  So thinking it’s tied to my ignition switch somehow?

21 hours ago, Youngz said:

So thinking it’s tied to my ignition switch somehow?

Could be. DId you turn the switch to ACC in driveway, then had it it RUN after starting the engine? 

So the boat is on a lift and with the key not even in the radio works.  I assume it’s tied into one of my 2 batteries.  I turned the battery switch to All then hooked up stereo harness and remote harness..  just plug and play since JBL sent me exact stereo.  It worked and sounded great.  So I turned batteries off and went the bed.  Got up next day and then stared my engine to take a ride.  Went to turn on radio which is in my head and it would not even turn on.  So something must have happened when I turned my key to start engine?

Also I don’t have the ACC position on my ignition...  I do have a rocker switch labeled wiper even though I don’t have wipers..  I wonder if I can connect the radio wires directly to my wiper switch.  Then I could turn the radio on from that helm rocker switch? 

12 hours ago, Youngz said:

I assume it’s tied into one of my 2 batteries.

It would have to be...............................

12 hours ago, Youngz said:

just plug and play since JBL sent me exact stereo.

Id go back to square 1. Why did you need a new head unit? Is there a root issue thats down stream of the head? Need to get a volt meter and start taking some measurements.

10 hours ago, Youngz said:

I wonder if I can connect the radio wires directly to my wiper switch.  Then I could turn the radio on from that helm rocker switch? 

Yes, but I would leave everything as is, until you resolve the current issue. 

The original head unit would turn on and off erratically but no sound..  jbl sent me refurbished on and said that 2003 model is know for that.  So knowing that might help you.  Both radios worked at one point.. it’s just the new one only worked until I started the boat.  For $600 I can get a new Fusion radio and they’d  do wiring but I’m just trying to abound that.

also thank you for your responses

23 minutes ago, Youngz said:

The original head unit would turn on and off erratically

My `08 Sunesta does the same thing. I`ve replaced the Clarion head unit thinking that was it, but it continues. Very frustrating.

Very frustrating 

ok when I’m checking voltage which wire is ground? Yellow? The red is power?  I have like 12 wire harness 

Ok I just talked to the dealer and he said if I remove to inline fuses that are built into my head unit wiring harness and  just connect those wires together that might fix issue.  Could that be??  

5 minutes ago, Youngz said:

Ok I just talked to the dealer and he said if I remove to inline fuses that are built into my head unit wiring harness and  just connect those wires together that might fix issue.  Could that be??  

If you had a bad fuse, that might fix it. The unit would not be surge protected though.

Ok I thought so.  He did say those head units had a built in fuse?.. I’ll maybe try it..  then if that does not work I’ll just pay to have fusion radio and wiring done.  

Thanks for input.

7 hours ago, Youngz said:

K I’ll check with my meter..  guessing they need to read 12 volts?

12V at a minimum. Should read battery voltage, with only a tenth of a volt drop at most. 

4 hours ago, Youngz said:

He did say those head units had a built in fuse?

There should be one  inline about 6"of the the head unit on the yellow. May also one on the red. Could also plugged directly into the back of the head unit. 

6 hours ago, Youngz said:

ground? Yellow? The red is power?

Ground is black. Yellow is the actual "power" and is called constant B+. Red is switched 12V and can come from ignition key or a helm mounted rocker, or sometimes just tied to the yellow and 12V all the time. 

I am pretty sure mine is tied to the yellow and 12V all the time since I can run the radio without the key on and no rocker switched dedicated to radio.