Sign in to follow this  
Graham R

2005 180SSi on Lake Ontario

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 2005 180 SSi with the 4.3 ltr 190 horsepower motor.  I was wondering if its going to be suitable for the Lake Ontario as it can get choppy and a bit rough.  I believe the boat is ~2,100 lbs so its fairly light.  Appreciate any feedback.  Thanks!

Edited by Graham R
adding perspective

I boat in Sodus Bay / Lake Ontario and I had a 20’ boat and for my wife and I we do not Recommend anything  smaller. We now have a large bow rider (28’) and we are a LOT happier.

where in Lake Ontario are you?

I'm in Lake Erie (can get just as choppy as Ontario sometimes) and I just traded my 215 SSi in for a 23ft Chaparral.  The 215 measured 22ft with swim platform, but it wasn't molded (so likely only 20.5 to 21 ft of actual boat in the water).  That 215 I was finding was getting tossed around a little more then I had liked, so as part of my jump to the 23 is the overall length increase should help a bit there - this new one measures an actual 23.5 feet, and that's with the molded in swim platform, so it's pretty much all boat too.

I see guys running around near me with boats in the 17 to 19 ft range and they're getting tossed around pretty good.... I'd be wary of anything under 21 ft, IMHO.