Fishstick

First Boat, First Car

My first car as a teenager was a '76 Chevy Camaro with a 350, 4bbl carb. Man that car was in great condition and was too fast for a kid. It was eventually handed down to a younger sister and later sold. I've always wondered what happened to it and sure would like to have it back.

I bought my first boat in my early 20's in 1990. I knew nothing about boats. I bought a '83 Executive with a 488 Mercruiser for $4,250. The Merc had a 4 bbl carb in it and produced 188 hp. Every first start of the day was painful. I usually had to spray some ether directly in the carb (stupid), but it would fire up and ran flawlessly the rest of the day. I kept that boat for about 5 years and sold it in '95 and bought a brand new Sea Ray that I still have today.

Like my first car I've always wondered if the boat was still around and neglected like so many.

I really enjoy looking through all the different boat sales sites and today I came across my Executive boat! I have never seen another Executive boat in all my times surfing around and this one is close to my home. As much as I would love to have her back, the guy is asking $4,429....more than I paid for her 20 years ago and she looks rough now. This boat had some wood on her and I kept it sanded and polished really nicely. I recall a soft spot in the floor that I fixed and re-carpeted it too at that time. I'm really inclined to go see her and take some pics.

I tried to upload the images but this site is not image friendly. Would someone mind posting images of her as the site will eventually do down. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/fort-worth-165-ski-boat/6973822275.html

What was your first boat or car and do you still have them?

My first car was a 1976 Cutlass Salon. I was spoiled with that car. Cranberry Velour interior. Bucket seats. Door locks,  power seat [driver side only], power windows.  350ci with 4 barrel carb. Posi-track with anti-sway bars. I had a sun roof installed. And air conditioning. Love it.  4000lbs and 18mpg.

I remember one day while heading to collage, Spruce Springsteen's Pink Cadillac came on the radio as I was entering the highway. I just put my foot to the floor and hauled azz to school.

My first boat is still with me. My 1987 Chap acquired in 2008. It loves my bank account. This will be my only boat as I will not likely purchase another. If I were to win a huge lotto, then probably I would. 

My first car was a 72 Plymouth Fury. It was my parent's hand-me down, so I wasn't going to complain. It had a bench front seat where my girlfriend(s) could actually sit right next to me. Because it was a big bench, there was no need to get in the back seat ;-) I kept breaking the motor mounts on it. But it really handled the NY snow very well.

The first boat I owned was a 22' Grady White cuddy walkaround that I bought off my then father-in-law around 2005 or so. That boat was like a pickup truck - fish, ski, anchor, and just hose it down at the end of the day. Had to sell it because the 175 Yamaha OB blew a piston, so I had the top half rebuilt and 2 years later, it blew another one and I didn't have the money to fix it again. The mechanic thinks it was because I was using engine oil from the 55 gallon drum my father-in-law had for over 20 years. He thought the oil (or its additives) broke down over time and didn't work right in the motor. I thought oil lasted forever? I know #Wingnut would know the answer. Anyway, now I have the 240 Signature and love it.

On 9/8/2019 at 9:58 AM, Fishstick said:

I really enjoy looking through all the different boat sales sites and today I came across my Executive boat! I have never seen another Executive boat in all my times surfing around and this one is close to my home. As much as I would love to have her back, the guy is asking $4,429....more than I paid for her 20 years ago and she looks rough now. This boat had some wood on her and I kept it sanded and polished really nicely. I recall a soft spot in the floor that I fixed and re-carpeted it too at that time. I'm really inclined to go see her and take some pics.

I tried to upload the images but this site is not image friendly. Would someone mind posting images of her as the site will eventually do down. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/d/fort-worth-165-ski-boat/6973822275.html

Are you talking about the boat images  or the car?  This is what's on the link the link you posted now:  This is an executive boat?

00909_1T6iBVyxdP_600x450.jpg

01515_7jJJ8MDTDsX_600x450.jpg

00U0U_dRFD87yZLpp_600x450.jpg

BTW, as soon as I linked on and copied the pics,  the author took them down lol.  Not sure if it was a coincidence but probably not.

First car, 1965 Buick Skylark convertible, white body and roof with medium blue interior.

First boat, 1970 15 1/2 ft. Fabuglas trihull with a 1976 Evinrude 70 HP outboard.

I have no idea where they are now....

1 hour ago, SST said:

My first car was a 1976 Cutlass Salon. I was spoiled with that car. Cranberry Velour interior. Bucket seats. Door locks,  power seat [driver side only], power windows.  350ci with 4 barrel carb. Posi-track with anti-sway bars. I had a sun roof installed. And air conditioning. Love it.  4000lbs and 18mpg.

I remember one day while heading to collage, Spruce Springsteen's Pink Cadillac came on the radio as I was entering the highway. I just put my foot to the floor and hauled azz to school.

My first boat is still with me. My 1987 Chap acquired in 2008. It loves my bank account. This will be my only boat as I will not likely purchase another. If I were to win a huge lotto, then probably I would. 

1976 Cutlass 2-door here also. Massive and power(less) 260-V8. Great mileage for the day (think embargo). 0 to 60 in a few minutes. Bright yellow with yellow/tan plaid interior. Solid AM radio. 

1982 Mazda 626 coupe, light blue

1980 Renken 19' deep vee runabout, two tone brown with Merc 4 cyl.  Underpowered but had a lot of fun with it until an 80' wild cherry tree fell on it!

1st Car was a hand me down 1980 Chevy Citation 4 door.  Anaemic 4 cyl that vibrated like crazy.  AM radio, crank windows, etc.

1st Boat was a used 1984 20' Sea Ray bowrider w/Merc 260 HP 350.  1-1/2 seasons before the whole ignition system crapped the bed. 

First car was a rusty 1975 Mercedes 240 Diesel. The lack of power was so frustrating that it sent me on a lifelong quest to make cars faster (as a profession).

I didn't get into boating until my late 40s, in 2012, when I realized car racing was making me miss out on my kid growing up. 2007 Chap 254 Sunesta with a Merc 350MPI. Was plenty fast for me and very reliable.

My first boat was the shuttle boat used during the Last Supper.    :thl_speedboat:

First car had 3 wheels and a jack under the 4th wheel.

Some really cool old cars we had back then!

@Hatem yes it was the boat pics I was hoping someone could post, thank you.

The brand was Executive, and I’ve never seen another one besides the one I owned.

63 Buick Special. Ugliest car ever made. 

67 17' Glasspar Seafair sedan with a 75 Evinrude That boat took my friends and I to Catalina so many times I can't count em. 

1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 With the V8 & Hydramatic transmission. It was very quick for the times. A 0 to 60 of about 10 seconds was fast back then. The 1949 Hydramatics Were the quickest with all 4 speeds in operation.  The engines had a lot of torque to accelerate with.  135 hp and 253 lb ft of torque. Out of about 303 C I

38 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

1950 Oldsmobile Rocket 88 With the V8 & Hydramatic transmission. It was very quick for the times. A 0 to 60 of about 10 seconds was fast back then. The 1949 Hydramatics Were the quickest with all 4 speeds in operation.  The engines had a lot of torque to accelerate with.  135 hp and 253 lb ft of torque. Out of about 303 C I

That’s one very cool car.

The Caddy Olds and Pontiacs of the early 50s were the death of many local motels. :mandancing:

Huge bench seats.    Trunks could hold 4 H S line men & 2 small cheer leaders while driving into the Drive in Theaters. :wub:

8 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

The Caddy Olds and Pontiacs of the early 50s were the death of many local motels. :mandancing:

Huge bench seats.    Trunks could hold 4 H S line men & 2 small cheer leaders while driving into the Drive in Theaters. :wub:

LOL. I could put my second car into the first, close the doors and have room to spare. A buddy had a black 60’s Lincoln with suicide doors (I don’t recall the year). Unreal how big that car was. Just a few gallons per mile and you were on your way. A true land yacht.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

That reminds me back in my high school days. I believe my moms car was a early 70's Delta 88 convertible. After dropping off my girlfriend, I was coming up on a country road.....put it to the floor doing 110mph with the top down. hahaha....never told my mom.  :D

First car owned:

1981 Dodge Colt RS with twin stick transmission 8 forward gears and 2 reverse

First car used regularly

1969 VW Squareback automatic.  Slow as #$^%

First boat

1971 17' Cobia Bowrider with a 1988 125 Force outboard

17 hours ago, Fishstick said:

@Hatem yes it was the boat pics I was hoping someone could post, thank you.

Oh ok, glad I was able to get them for you before the dude took them off the site.   He probably just sold it.

But check this out, I was at a junkyard with a friend of mine the other day looking for those star-shaped hub caps for his early 90's Monte Carlo and I saw this thing.  I had to take pics because I drove the real thing over 35 years ago.

It's a 1961 Vespa.  It's smaller than the Harley next to it and I remember they never became as popular as the Minis of the day, which obviously have come back.  Not to mention that Vespa was more known as a moped builder so it never caught on.  Couldn't  believe it when I saw it.

mAIauey.jpg

Too bad the gate was in the way but not much I could do about that.  But it gives you an idea of how small this thing was so all the smart cars of today are not a novelty.  It would be very difficult to restore with original parts since these were so rare I was shocked when I saw it.

kCgQf3d.jpg

16 hours ago, Auggie said:

63 Buick Special. Ugliest car ever made. 

My 2nd car was a 63 Buick special. Great  car, was not fast as it had a 231 V6 in it. The bottom of the car was painted with a brush flat black and the top was still the factory turquoise. Uuuuuglyyy! But the body was solid and it ran like a top!

My first car was a ‘65 ragtop mustang with a slant 6

First boat was a 2000 Kayot 20’ bow rider with a 4.3 MPI Merc

I built a 63 Chevy Impala when I was still a high school Junior. Never saw the street because as soon as I turned 17, it was off the Atco Raceway. 12.20's with a best of 12.10. 355 with 292 turbo casting off-road heads from GM, and a single 850 double pumper and Doug Nash pro shifted 4 speed. Took the engine out of that and stuck it in a 66 Chevy II, and went 11.0 with the same set-up. Duce got SRD suspension, a Nash 5 speed, 14" tires, tunnel-ram with twin 660 center squirters, and a de-stroked 302 (292 cu in) and went to the Gator Nationals the following spring. 10.10 at 130 in a 3,400# E/MP car.  I miss the days when you worked on a piston dome in your lap for hours on end, then started on the next one. Now it's all CNC out of the box horsepower that the guy with the biggest check book can buy. One of the best days of my life is when we trailered Don Bowles at the Spring Nationals in Columbus and his A/SM Ford Fairmount. His crew chief at the time was Jack Roush. Sometimes money can't buy happiness...  W

first car was an '89 chevy beretta GT.  wasn't a bad first car, but certainly nothing special.  First boat was a 23' wellcraft 233 elite.  basically a scarab hull but with wrap around family seating inside.  350 VP moved it into the low 50s as it rode up and out of the water.  really took a beating on the chesapeake with that.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, Wingnut said:

I built a 63 Chevy Impala when I was still a high school Junior. Never saw the street because as soon as I turned 17, it was off the Atco Raceway. 12.20's with a best of 12.10. 355 with 292 turbo casting off-road heads from GM, and a single 850 double pumper and Doug Nash pro shifted 4 speed. Took the engine out of that and stuck it in a 66 Chevy II, and went 11.0 with the same set-up. Duce got SRD suspension, a Nash 5 speed, 14" tires, tunnel-ram with twin 660 center squirters, and a de-stroked 302 (292 cu in) and went to the Gator Nationals the following spring. 10.10 at 130 in a 3,400# E/MP car.  I miss the days when you worked on a piston dome in your lap for hours on end, then started on the next one. Now it's all CNC out of the box horsepower that the guy with the biggest check book can buy. One of the best days of my life is when we trailered Don Bowles at the Spring Nationals in Columbus and his A/SM Ford Fairmount. His crew chief at the time was Jack Roush. Sometimes money can't buy happiness...  W

Thanks for this, I knew I liked you for some reason.  I love the Nash 5 choice, that's a fast manual for the time!  I was always wrenching on cars as a kid growing up on the farm.  Drag raced, built a dirt track car and raced that at 17 (only one time then sold it) and even built a monster truck out of a 1940s Oshkosh plow truck.  I never had anything super fast but we had so many great times in that workshop and at the track!  You brought back some memories.....