Sign in to follow this  
Santiago

Foot throttle

Hi everyone, I’m looking to install a foot throttle on 2006 sunesta 232 5.7 engine . I’m not even sure if it’s posible but I need to install a foot throttle on it . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 

That means you would have to change over the shift linkage too. I see fatigue taking its toll in doing so. Its not like you seating in a car. 

I think the safer foot throttle is long over due in boats. Most people do not even use  the safety cord to stop the engine.  It is useless if the driver passes out in the seat.  

Go for it. Any decent mechanic can do the conversion.  

Most all speed boats have foot throttles. Both hands are on the wheel.

The shift Neutral USCG interlock is not touched.

2 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Most all speed boats have foot throttles. Both hands are on the wheel.

Show me one....other than a competition race boat.

Most Bass Boats are available with the foot throttle. Some come standard with them due to risk of being ejected at high speeds. The spring return cuts the engine to idle every time. With out using the safety lanyard.  Foot throttles easier to master by any car driver. They have been installed for at leat 30 years by T H  Marine.

1 hour ago, cyclops2 said:

Most Bass Boats are available with the foot throttle. Some come standard with them due to risk of being ejected at high speeds. The spring return cuts the engine to idle every time. With out using the safety lanyard.  Foot throttles easier to master by any car driver. They have been installed for at leat 30 years by T H  Marine.

Again... show me.

Welcome to the forum, Santiago.

I've always heard of them being referred to as a 'Hot Foot', yes for bass boats and power boats.  Maybe Google that.

Why the OP wants or needs to do it isn't relevant.

Foot throttles are awesome.  I love driving a boat with one.  Everyone runs them on bass boats,  and for good reason.  Ever tried to drive a boat that chine walks at 70 MPH while not being able to keep both hands on the wheel?  Add tilt/trim to the wheel also so you never have to take your hands off. 

While I've never seen a I/O with a foot pedal I would think you would be able to make one work.  Have a look at the Hot Foot. 

57 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

I noticed he also had his hand throttle there as well.  I'm in an office so I couldn't hear it very well and couldn't tell if it was a modification he did or the boat came like that.  But the fact the throttle is still there makes me think it could be an added conversion where you link the foot pedal connections right to where the hand throttle connects and both move simultaneously, so you basically have the use of either.

The interesting thing is I think you see this mostly on outboard boats rather than I/O ones.  Maybe the linkage to the throttle body is just easier on outboards but I just dont see that.  Our cables and throttle bodies are right there on top of the engine doesn't get any easier access than that.  

But if the OP wanted to get rid of the hand throttle completely, I bet that would be much easier since you're basically only changing the location on the cable.

43 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I noticed he also had his hand throttle there as well.  I'm in an office so I couldn't hear it very well and couldn't tell if it was a modification he did or the boat came like that.  But the fact the throttle is still there makes me think it could be an added conversion where you link the foot pedal connections right to where the hand throttle connects and both move simultaneously, so you basically have the use of either.

The interesting thing is I think you see this mostly on outboard boats rather than I/O ones.  Maybe the linkage to the throttle body is just easier on outboards but I just dont see that.  Our cables and throttle bodies are right there on top of the engine doesn't get any easier access than that.  

But if the OP wanted to get rid of the hand throttle completely, I bet that would be much easier since you're basically only changing the location on the cable.

Yeah, I can't remember how the hand throttle functioned on my Dad's boat.  It may have just been a shifter, but the boat came like that.  It was not added and he purchased it directly from Ranger new.  Believe it had a Mercury 250 OptiMax.  Lots of problems with that motor as I recall.

42 minutes ago, Hatem said:

I know that they used to make a system that allowed you to use both a foot throttle and hand throttle.  My understanding that it was discontinued due to safety.  People would set the hand throttle at say 40MPH and then run the boat up to a higher speed with the foot throttle and forget the hand throttle was set.  You go to let of the throttle in a emergency and the hand throttle is still set.  With so many new boats having DTS I would think a safe system would be able to be implemented to allow the foot throttle to disengage the hand throttle.  

2 minutes ago, TexasPilot71 said:

Yeah, I can't remember how the hand throttle functioned on my Dad's boat.  It may have just been a shifter, but the boat came like that.  It was not added and he purchased it directly from Ranger new.  Believe it had a Mercury 250 OptiMax.  Lots of problems with that motor as I recall.

My family was big into bass fishing and all the ones we had were setup like that.  The hand throttle just came a shifter. 

Early 3.0L OptiMaxes definitely had their share of issues.  The Orbital Direct Injection system is very complicated.  I had a 150 Optimax that had its share off issue.  

1 hour ago, dan02gt said:

I know that they used to make a system that allowed you to use both a foot throttle and hand throttle.  My understanding that it was discontinued due to safety.  People would set the hand throttle at say 40MPH and then run the boat up to a higher speed with the foot throttle and forget the hand throttle was set.  

YIKES!  Yeah, I can see that being a MAJOR accident-prone problem.  Seems the best way is to have one or the other or definitely have them hooked up independent of each other.