vanhalen80

bad injectors?

I have a 2006 chap 276 signature with a volvo 320HP 5.7gsi   It started running bad and the mechanic said cylinders 7&8 have injector issues. they will try and clean them but might have to order 2 injectors  Anyone else have issues like that? Has 288 hours and sat for 8 months before I got it for 33k earlier last month

Volvo has an issue with fuel pump module internal coating break-down that ends up failing both the high pressure fuel pump and clogging the injectors. Hate to see you replace injectors and have the new ones fail. Time to clean the fuel rail, and inspect both fuel pumps and module. Unfortunately all this chaos happens after the fuel filter. W

There were no such problems, but it makes sense to listen to the master so that it does not get worse. I hope you don’t have to change them.

17 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

Why is no one putting in a FINAL fuel filter just before the injectors ?    

That’s a really good question. Volvo Penta’s paint problem is getting close to 10 years in the rearview mirror, but the need to keep trash out of injectors remains and there’s other potential failure modes. Wonder if pressure has something to do with it. 

11 minutes ago, cyclops2 said:

More like planned income for dealers.   Oh Well 

That’s not true. If it was, there wouldn’t be a prefilter.

thanks for everyone getting back to me. My mechanic called and said they went in and cleaned all the injectors which were full of debris. He said they have noticed this issue on the volvo's and mercs on older boats and its happening more frequently. He said he's going in for more training this winter. Hoped they would come out with a higher micron filter to solve this. Had to order a new O-ring kit since they took the engine apart. 723.00 total but its back up and running!

14 minutes ago, vanhalen80 said:

thanks for everyone getting back to me. My mechanic called and said they went in and cleaned all the injectors which were full of debris. He said they have noticed this issue on the volvo's and mercs on older boats and its happening more frequently. He said he's going in for more training this winter. Hoped they would come out with a higher micron filter to solve this. Had to order a new O-ring kit since they took the engine apart. 723.00 total but its back up and running!

The higher Micron, the courser the filter. A Micron is a millionth of a meter. It takes a 40 micron particle to be visible to the human eye. Most den-site paper fuel filter elements are 10 micron, which is pretty fine. The issue with the fuel module coating is it all happens after filtration because the filters are before the fuel cooler, regulator, fuel rail and injectors. What's needed is removal of the factory coating from the entire fuel system after the filter. The new systems are not coated.  W

Sorry for a late read but YUP happened to me. I first noticed difficulty starting on a rare occasion... 20/20 duh now I get it. so rather than a 3 second crank to start on a rare occasion the crank increased to say 6-10 sec. Then one day returning to the slip I had one engine shut down at idle waiting for boat to catch up the last maneuver I have to do to get her backed in. I looked down and port engine stalled. attempted to start.. nope...I was able to back her in on one engine... a big task in the wind....long story short after self investigation, verifying the rail was getting fuel, regulator not clogged had my mechanic pulled injectors sent for flow testing and cleaning, all returned good. Pump working with good constant flow... The next weekend took her out, stated with the 10 sec crank. All good after that....ran her up and down the bay, at idle just enjoying day port engine stalled...... started with long crank again.  Pulling into slip, same sequence port engine stalled. Different mechanic came pulled injector on cylinder 4 stuck open.... Cylinder most likely washed out????  Sent injectors yes all 8 again to different company and injector 4 had some poor flow. They pulled the head and .... YUP cylinder #4 washed out and glazed. New engine required..... Sad piece is that there is really no reason why this occurred. so I now pay way more obsession attention when starting but no issues knock on water....

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:38 AM, Curt said:

That’s a really good question. Volvo Penta’s paint problem is getting close to 10 years in the rearview mirror, but the need to keep trash out of injectors remains and there’s other potential failure modes. Wonder if pressure has something to do with it. 

You bring up a good point.  Mine is approaching the same amount of time hard to believe where the heck did all these years go?!  So as a form of preventative maintenance to keep fuel flow regulated and flowing properly, I was thinking of doing what that guy did in those videos with the fuel pump, just take it apart and clean it up and make sure there isn't any debris in the lines or anything, especially considering I'm boating salt water.  But then the usual adage comes in "if it ain't broke, don' fix it" but then I think preventative maintenance is ALWAYS good and I'm always checking hoses and clamps.  The other day I loosened the main coolant hose just to take a look inside and I can see it's starting to get a little crunchy even though it looked good.  So I'm ordering a few hoses to replace because remember that weird impeller and rise in temperature that I had temporarily that seems to have corrected itself?  That makes me think that some maintenance program should take place.  Any recommendations for my VP 8.1G-J?  Considering I haven't had any infamous VP fuel pump paint issues (Thank God) in all these years (what it happen now that I mentioned it) but do you think I should pull the fuel pump and at least do a clean up and checking?  Maybe not go to the extent that fellow does but is it worth it or leave it alone?

I'm pulling the boat next week (probably Wednesday) and cleaning the bottom and outdrive and whatever growth that has accumulated this year in the slip and then my son and I are taking a trip to southern Cape Cod right after than on Friday for next weekend going looking for great white sharks to see and photograph.  That is one area I want to avoid ANY breakdown! lol.  Not because of the sharks so much, although that too, but just because we will be in somewhat unfamiliar ocean waters that I've only been there once before.  That area is fraught with shifting sandbars also which worries me a bit.  Hopefully I can get a better look at the outdrive as well and check oil level etc.  But if you can think of anything I should do for fuel or anything else, don't hesitate to share.

Pull it & have all that black paint inside of it removed.  Then if you have a engine problem ?  You can not waste time ….What if it is paint in the pump & injectors ?...…...You will be ready to find the real problem.