vanhalen80

shrink wrap on boat for wisconsin winter?

So, winter in Wisconsin can be a little harsh and some people shrink wrap while others do a canvas/ cover or heavy tarp. I live in the country so worry about squirrels needing a safe place but they'll probably chew into a shrink wrap? Also read that the wraps are tight and any moister causes mold?  Its 20 bucks/ft to have it done so at 28 feet kind of spendy. Maybe thinking about buying a custom heavy tarp/canvas... thoughts?

15 minutes ago, vanhalen80 said:

So, winter in Wisconsin can be a little harsh and some people shrink wrap while others do a canvas/ cover or heavy tarp. I live in the country so worry about squirrels needing a safe place but they'll probably chew into a shrink wrap? Also read that the wraps are tight and any moister causes mold?  Its 20 bucks/ft to have it done so at 28 feet kind of spendy. Maybe thinking about buying a custom heavy tarp/canvas... thoughts?

Shrink wrap it. When properly installed it sheds water and snow, and includes vents to eliminate condensation. I’m in the state to your west, although a big Brewers fan. P.S. The vents don’t allow bugs or squirrels in. Good luck. 

14 minutes ago, vanhalen80 said:

I store in Florida using a storage cover made of sunbrella/canvas material. It breathes, and that is key in a humid environment, but it is also durable. It was custom fabricated at a cost of about 3k and I expect it to last 10 years, so...  compared to the cost to shrink-wrap, you may want to consider getting a custom-made cover.

11 hours ago, vanhalen80 said:

At 28 feet, is it a 287ssx?  Definitely shrink-wrap it for this year, anyway.  I've shrunk-wrapped mine for several years now and the guy who does it for me does a great job, even puts a zipper door so I can get in if I need to.  Once I had it shrunk wrapped right over the radar on top of the radar arch and the other time I removed the radome and had him wrap it without it on there as in the pics below. 

I wouldn't say I live in the country, but definitely the country suburbs so I have a lot of squirrels around and never had a problem with them chewing and trying to get in.  The worst thing you might find is mud wasps nesting.  That's what happened with mine and not sure exactly how they got in (maybe through the butt plug which I leave out), but that was one of the reasons I removed the radar was because they made a couple of little nests underneath it near the wire connections.  If that's the worst that happens, I'm perfectly happy with that.

As far as mold, what I do is remove all the cushions possible (not the ones screwed in like the backs) and after cleaning them really well and drying them, I put them in those large, contractor-sized garbage bags and store them in my shop & basement.  Then I clean the heII out of all the interior fiberglass (major scrub-down with boat soap, simple green and big-time hosing to remove all the dirt that has accumulated from the season use) and where the cushions sit and make sure everything is dried out well.  All the water drains out the thru-hulls and some out the bilge.  So far in 5 years, haven't had any issues with mold.

eKO1e3d.jpg

BsK7fZB.jpg

This year I bought a custom cover, so to speak as it was designed for a 287ssx which is pretty much the same boat as mine.  I saved those 2x4s with the caps on the top of them and will be trying that cover which is made to cover the entire boat including the arch.  Hoping this does the job and lasts a while so I can avoid the hassle of shrink-wrapping every winter.  I would cover it even if I stored it indoors, simply because dust will always accumulate no matter what and indoors you have the potential of rats getting in. 

So if your boat is a 287ssx with an arch (which is actually good because it acts as a great, center support, this cover should be the exact one for you as well and was about $800 with the zipper door I had them install at the back to get onto the swim platform.  Gonna give it a try this year and see how she holds up. 

pX1Wl3m.jpg

When I first bought the boat in 2014, I pulled these mud wasp nests out of the engine/bilge vent hoses.

iLgSyv4.jpg

Live in Georgia, so little snow. I would shrink wrap mine yearly. Loved it. would give a good cleaning. remove everything not screwed in. damp rid in every closed space. when springtime came around, perfectly clean and ready to go. 

The boat HAS TO HAVE ALL WATER REMOVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  If not ?    Well You just screwed yourself with molds................. Been there 2 times in 81 years.  Wait till boat is COMPLETLY dry. It should be to prevent water & sewage tanks & pipes / valves & pump housings from splitting.  If a DRY BOAT is shrinked ....Dry ?  No wood or plastic ,leather seat covers will mold. 

You MUST  MUST remove the plastic & boat covers soon enough in the spring. Driving rains CAN & WILL force water thru some breather screens.  Risk varies on the person wrapping.

I went with a Sunbrella exact fit cover and added multiple pole vents to prevent sagging & allow air-flow.  I never have a mold problem and place a damp-rid container in the cabin.

I shrink-wrapped my first 3 winters and looking back I wish I had just bought the cover.  The cost of those 3 shrink-wraps would have paid for my cover.

11 hours ago, 951Tom said:

I went with a Sunbrella exact fit cover and added multiple pole vents to prevent sagging & allow air-flow.  I never have a mold problem and place a damp-rid container in the cabin.

I shrink-wrapped my first 3 winters and looking back I wish I had just bought the cover.  The cost of those 3 shrink-wraps would have paid for my cover.

How many winters have you used the Sunbrella cover and how effective is it?  Have you had any issues with it like heavy snow being too much for it and do you clean off the snow every time?  Do you find moisture in the damp-rid container?

If shrink-wrapping wasn't so pricey, I'd do it every year.  I think it's the best way to protect the boat against the harsh winters we have up this way and the snow rolls off it easily.  I know with this new cover I'm gonna have to deal with it every time it snows and make sure that white crap is brushed off all the time, unless it rolls off well being that it will be high enough at the radar arch and have a good slope to it.  Friggin thing is huge.

Two reasons I don't shrink wrap. The first is the cost. Way to much for me to bother. The second is, all that plastic ending up in garbage dumps every year.

I certainly can see how well shrink wrapping works. I am fortunate enough to have an economical storage place so all I do is put the boat cover on and deliver it to the storage facility and pick it up 6 months later.  

Shrink wrap and tires, both great products.

But what do you do with them after that are no longer needed, that is economical and profitable?

Denny.

Tires get ground up and used for rubberizing the freeways in town for sound damping around here.... No one shrink wraps in Arizona. 

Hatem snow hasn’t been an issue unless we get like a foot of the wet heavy type. Then I’ll use a roof snow rake to easily clear it. Most of the time the snow is melted by time I arrive at the boat. This will be my 4th winter with the cover & its held up very well & will definitely last more than the 10yr rating. There are tie straps, a draw string & ratcheting cinch so you can make it tight to the hull. I added pole vents - 2 on bow & 2 in cockpit. These prevent the “swimming pool effect”  during rains & snow melts & keeps everything taught. The height of an arch will definitely help to maintain a “tent” to shed water/snow. Shrinkwrap does shed the best but I got tired of $400+ a pop only to toss it in spring. 

The damp-rid container will get an inch or so of water. I like to change the dessicant mid-winter as the refill bags are inexpensive & eliminates the smells.

4 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Tires get ground up and used for rubberizing the freeways in town for sound damping around here.... No one shrink wraps in Arizona. 

The 101 around Phoenix uses rubber, very quiet.

Denny.

14 hours ago, 951Tom said:

Hatem snow hasn’t been an issue unless we get like a foot of the wet heavy type. Then I’ll use a roof snow rake to easily clear it. Most of the time the snow is melted by time I arrive at the boat. This will be my 4th winter with the cover & its held up very well & will definitely last more than the 10yr rating. There are tie straps, a draw string & ratcheting cinch so you can make it tight to the hull. I added pole vents - 2 on bow & 2 in cockpit. These prevent the “swimming pool effect”  during rains & snow melts & keeps everything taught. The height of an arch will definitely help to maintain a “tent” to shed water/snow. Shrinkwrap does shed the best but I got tired of $400+ a pop only to toss it in spring. 

The damp-rid container will get an inch or so of water. I like to change the dessicant mid-winter as the refill bags are inexpensive & eliminates the smells.

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't actually pulled out the cover from the box since it arrived because I know I will never be able to fit it back into that thing until I need to use it!  I think you're right, the arch will help creating a tent effect and I also saved those 2x4 poles with the caps on them just in case I need them to prop the cover up a little more.  My buddy does a super job shrink-wrapping it and ties it really well at the bottom as you can see in the pics, but it's around $500 and he even tells me that unless he has like a crapload of orders, it's not even worth it to him.  I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he does all phases of winterizing so it's not just shrink wrapping.  But I always felt 100% comfortable knowing it's shrink-wrapped and not sure how apprehensive I will be with the cover.  But encouraging to hear your positive experience.  Surprised there is that much water in the damp-rid container.

9 hours ago, Hatem said:

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't actually pulled out the cover from the box since it arrived because I know I will never be able to fit it back into that thing until I need to use it!  I think you're right, the arch will help creating a tent effect and I also saved those 2x4 poles with the caps on them just in case I need them to prop the cover up a little more.  My buddy does a super job shrink-wrapping it and ties it really well at the bottom as you can see in the pics, but it's around $500 and he even tells me that unless he has like a crapload of orders, it's not even worth it to him.  I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he does all phases of winterizing so it's not just shrink wrapping.  But I always felt 100% comfortable knowing it's shrink-wrapped and not sure how apprehensive I will be with the cover.  But encouraging to hear your positive experience.  Surprised there is that much water in the damp-rid container.

I know what you mean about the box lol, doubt I could re-pack it either but I saved it just in case.  I'd say definitely add support poles in your bow area (and maybe stern) to prevent it sagging and filling with water. My cover reaches over the rear swim platform so that helps too. I do like to go out & check on things to clear snow build up if we get a blizzard or something bad.  But the usual mid-atlantic storms don't require me to go to the boat every time it snows. I imagine areas with significant snowfall might be better with shrink-wrapping if you want 100% maintenance & trouble free all winter and can't get to the boat for months at a time.  Any amount of rain is a non-issue.  It took me a few visits to get my set-up figured out & effective .  Like occasionally one of the bow poles would fall over so I added TaylorMade's large rubber base pad that swivels to better fit the slope of the bow. That fixed the issue.

About shrink wrap plastics on VARNISHED  decks.  Too risky.  Some get stains in the varnish. Some polish out.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, 951Tom said:

I know what you mean about the box lol, doubt I could re-pack it either but I saved it just in case.  I'd say definitely add support poles in your bow area (and maybe stern) to prevent it sagging and filling with water. My cover reaches over the rear swim platform so that helps too. I do like to go out & check on things to clear snow build up if we get a blizzard or something bad.  But the usual mid-atlantic storms don't require me to go to the boat every time it snows. I imagine areas with significant snowfall might be better with shrink-wrapping if you want 100% maintenance & trouble free all winter and can't get to the boat for months at a time.  Any amount of rain is a non-issue.  It took me a few visits to get my set-up figured out & effective .  Like occasionally one of the bow poles would fall over so I added TaylorMade's large rubber base pad that swivels to better fit the slope of the bow. That fixed the issue.

Yes, sounds excellent and I will take lots of pics and post them as I attempt to get this new cover on the boat.  Should be a lot of fun and I can't wait to see this access door through the swim platform since I need to do a lot of work on the boat this winter, so getting in and out of it is key.  I will keep you posted on it, with LOTS OF pics! :) 

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:57 PM, 951Tom said:

Holy macaroni, bro, this thing must've weighed about 150lbs getting it out of the box.  This is for you and also @MonkeySeaII (you and I spoke about a full cover to go over the entire boat including the radar arch on another thread and I posted the pic of it prior to them shipping it to me and you said "wow, that thing is huge" but I couldn't find that thread at all, even though I made a huge effort to find it but hopefully you get the tag cuz I wanted you to see it as well as @951Tom, of course. 

Well, is was a #$%$&$% bear and a half.  Worst part was getting it over the arch.  I had to take off my radar but I do that every winterization anyway and tape the wire plug & play ends just to protect them, but there is a boot or stem or whatever you want to call it that stays up there for the radar radome to sit on and no need to take that off but I know that had a lot to do with not being able to slide the son of a #$%#$ over that arch easily.  So I had to get under it, push it up with one of my canvas support sticks (with the bottom rubber end) and then pull it forward.  But still, it was a biatcha to the point where I might've pulled it too far forward but it was getting ready to snow in minutes so I just wanted to finish it and then I'll come back and straighten her out better.

Hopefully the cost of this will pay for itself instead of having to shrink wrap it every year.  But putting this massive and super heavy cover was not an easy procedure so let's hope once I fully straighten it out to cover everything correctly, it will do the job and save a lot of $ going forward.  I had them make a zipper door for me in the back so I can still get in.

q7VINnc.jpg

4 hours ago, cyclops2 said:

You get snow in Boston Florida ?

WTF are you talking about?  Who said anything about Florida?  

Looks real nice Hatem and looks to be a perfect fit. It will definitely pay for itself so you made right choice. I broke even after my 2nd winter so no regrets here.