Jump to content
LakeMichiganBoatLife

Chaparral Signature Leaking Water in Cabin?

Recommended Posts

Hello,  I have a 2002 Chaparral Signature 240 that I bought used 8 years ago.  The boat is still in really good condition and runs well!  I do have one reoccurring issue that for some reason this year has gotten worse.  Water is leaking up through a small hole (see picture), about 1 inch diameter, that is below the steps that go down into the cabin.  There is a small bilge pump right near this hole but I have never heard the pump turn on before nor is there a switch that triggers it like the bilge pump in the rear engine compartment. 

I will arrive on the boat which is in a marina and the floor in the cabin will sometimes have up to an inch of standing water.  It is usually much less than this and more than likely it is dry.  One time recently I was loading the fridge and prepping the boat for a day out on the water and I see the water start to fill in the bottom carpet so I look under steps and water is pumping out of the this 1 inch hole.  I have no idea where or why this water would be coming from this??  This has probably happened on like 5 or more occasions just this summer.  In the past it probably happened about one every other year and very light so I didn't think much of it.  Now it has gotten to be more than annoying as it actually prevents me from using the cabin.  Does anyone know the purpose of this hole under the steps and why water would be coming back up from it?

boatleak4.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you use the shower in the head? The forward pump is a sump pump to discharge the shower water most likely. 

Why is there a fitting with no hose on it ? 

Check the pumps float switch to make sure it is working. 

Do you have A/C? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No I do not use the shower and no I do not have A/C.  That fitting is sealed by the way so it should not pose a problem.  The fitting connects to the sump area which is enclosed in a case.  But the water is coming from the hole in the floor...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to tell from your pic what I'm looking at.  Does it have a forward bilge pump under the cabin steps? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He said it has a sump but the leak is not in that area...very confusing .. Maybe a larger picture of the area)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:07 AM, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

 

boatleak4.PNG

So you basically don't know where that water is coming from?  When you say "pumping out of that hole", is it actually spewing or spitting water as if it's being pumped out of another pump somewhere, or is it just coming out of it as in overflowing?  The answer will give us a better idea because you saying water is "pumping out of that hole" means something else somewhere else is pumping that water out of that hole.  Terminology is important so we can understand better because if it is "pumping" out of that whole. then it either needs a hose connected to that whole (and maybe that is why that sealed fitting mentioned before is lined up with it and there is a missing hose there that goes into that fitting.  All that, of course, depends on where that fitting leads to since you don't want to hook up a hose that will pump that water into somewhere you don't want it to end up.

Any idea where those fittings -- including the capped one -- lead to?  Thru-hull?  Bilge?  2002 I doubt you have a grey water system or something like that.  But let us know those 2 things first - is  it pumping or overflowing and where do BOTH those fittings lead to? 

Could be just rain water accumulating in your forward keel and running under and coming out that hole instead of making it to the bilge pump.  Since you don't have AC and no one is using the shower and most of the time you discover this water is when you arrive to the boat at the slip, then it kinda rounds it down to either another system that uses cooling that is left on and is leaking, or water is entering from the lake/ocean through something that is broken and flooding the bottom and coming out that hole.  If it's pumping as in the definition of pumping, then it's coming from another source you need to find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2002 signature 260 and get water in the same location. I suspect rain water getting in through the anchor locker. Should be the same set up as mine. I have the shower sump and a seperate foward bilge pump under the step. No way to turn on the foward bilge manually as it has a float switch. Had to change my foward bilge a couple years ago and I suspect your needs a replacement.  Mine never got high enough to get the carpet wet as the bilge did its job. Boats already in storage or I would have taken a pic for you,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2019 at 9:33 AM, Hatem said:

So you basically don't know where that water is coming from?  When you say "pumping out of that hole", is it actually spewing or spitting water as if it's being pumped out of another pump somewhere, or is it just coming out of it as in overflowing?  The answer will give us a better idea because you saying water is "pumping out of that hole" means something else somewhere else is pumping that water out of that hole.  Terminology is important so we can understand better because if it is "pumping" out of that whole. then it either needs a hose connected to that whole (and maybe that is why that sealed fitting mentioned before is lined up with it and there is a missing hose there that goes into that fitting.  All that, of course, depends on where that fitting leads to since you don't want to hook up a hose that will pump that water into somewhere you don't want it to end up.

Any idea where those fittings -- including the capped one -- lead to?  Thru-hull?  Bilge?  2002 I doubt you have a grey water system or something like that.  But let us know those 2 things first - is  it pumping or overflowing and where do BOTH those fittings lead to? 

Could be just rain water accumulating in your forward keel and running under and coming out that hole instead of making it to the bilge pump.  Since you don't have AC and no one is using the shower and most of the time you discover this water is when you arrive to the boat at the slip, then it kinda rounds it down to either another system that uses cooling that is left on and is leaking, or water is entering from the lake/ocean through something that is broken and flooding the bottom and coming out that hole.  If it's pumping as in the definition of pumping, then it's coming from another source you need to find.

Exactly, I don't know where the water is coming from.  The one time I actually saw water coming out of the hole with my own eyes, it seemed to be surging as to if it was being pumped however that could also be how the water was just overflowing out of the small hole?  I wish I could attach a bigger picture of the area, I tried, however this forum limits the size of attachments so I had to cut the original picture.  That forward bilge/sump is enclosed in a case and the sealed fitting is located on that case.  This is all under the cabin steps area.  If I put a hose into the hole and directed it in the enclosed bilge area would that actually work or would it still come up around the sides of the hose? 

I am going down to the boat today and we have had quite a bit of rain since I last was there so I will see what happened and try and get some more pictures. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

Exactly, I don't know where the water is coming from.  The one time I actually saw water coming out of the hole with my own eyes, it seemed to be surging as to if it was being pumped however that could also be how the water was just overflowing out of the small hole?

That's a heck of a lot of water, though.  Question is where is it coming from if it's surging out of that hole. That means A LOT of water is under the floor and the source needs to be found first and foremost.

28 minutes ago, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

I wish I could attach a bigger picture of the area, I tried, however this forum limits the size of attachments so I had to cut the original picture.

Post whatever you have.  If you can get it on an image hosting site and in jpg format, then you can just paste the link and the big pic will show up like the first one you posted.

29 minutes ago, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

This is all under the cabin steps area.  If I put a hose into the hole and directed it in the enclosed bilge area would that actually work or would it still come up around the sides of the hose?

You can't access that forward bilge?  Is it under the steps or under the bed or forward berth seats? 

30 minutes ago, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

I am going down to the boat today and we have had quite a bit of rain since I last was there so I will see what happened and try and get some more pictures. 

Post as many as you can.  Something is terribly wrong if you're getting surging water like that.  And of course, can't have the cabin floor soaked under any circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forward bilge???   If he is set up like I'm thinking he has a shower sump under his steps. 

Are you sure the water is being 'pumped' into the area and not just sloshing around due to the movement of the boat? Is the item in the hole removable? What is it exactly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By forward bilge I meant a forward bilge with a sump pump.  Sometimes they're located under the forward berthing whatever it may be, but then he said there's a tiny sump pump next to the hole that's spewing water under the step like most Chaps but hes never heard it run before and neither is the shower being used.  Maybe that's the problem and the pump is not pumping out that water which is probably just rain water from that one bad hose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we had a lot of rain this past week and there was no new water on the carpet.  It almost seems as if it accumulates over time and then eventually just overflows.  However, I do turn on my rear bilge in the engine compartment when I come down to the boat and have seen it overflow after even doing that.  I have attached a picture that you can see the enclosed case for the sump which I believe this is for the shower?  Again this is under the steps that going into the cabin.  It is not the forward berth seats.

7 hours ago, Phillbo said:

Forward bilge???   If he is set up like I'm thinking he has a shower sump under his steps. 

Are you sure the water is being 'pumped' into the area and not just sloshing around due to the movement of the boat? Is the item in the hole removable? What is it exactly? 

It is not just sloshing around because the boat is stationary in the marina slip when it happens.

boatleak8.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phillbo hit it on the head already...there is a fitting there with nothing attached to it.  Check the parts manual to see if it identifies that area.  I would contact Chaparral as well and ask them what suppose to be there.  You don't have a fitting sitting there for no reason.  Something is missing..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, he said the fitting with the missing hose is capped off... Also it would not account for the water coming up from below via the round thingamajig.... I'd love to get a better idea of what that round thing is and whats below it. Can it be removed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not on a lift.  Just in a slip so I guess it could move a little but it really doesn't all the much and the time I saw it happen it was just me and I wasn't jumping around.

I cannot find anyway to contact Chaparral but I am guessing that extra fitting would be in case I wanted to add an A/C unit?

I will see what happens it I try to pull that hole up from the floor.  Fingers crossed I don't sink ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe plug the hole and see where the water migrates to next ? 

 

On edit: I guess that would only tell your where it's going, not where it's coming from...... This is an interesting one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow I've never seen that guide.  Pretty useful.  Thanks for sharing.

I tried pulling on the hole plug and it's not going anywhere.  In the guide it is definitely that are next to the shower sump and it seems like it is listed as shower drain.  However there is a drain also in shower/bathroom area so not sure if that's what it is referring to.  It would not make sense why I saw water coming back up out of a drain....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

Wow I've never seen that guide.  Pretty useful.  Thanks for sharing.

I tried pulling on the hole plug and it's not going anywhere.  In the guide it is definitely that are next to the shower sump and it seems like it is listed as shower drain.  However there is a drain also in shower/bathroom area so not sure if that's what it is referring to.  It would not make sense why I saw water coming back up out of a drain....

I think addressing the problem of the whole is secondary to the source of the water.   IIRC, you said the shower is not used nor is the sink or whatever else you have in the cabin, therefore it's either rain water draining coming in somewhere or someone is using a sink somewhere and the small bilge pump you also said that is near that area of the picture you took is not working and your carpet is soaked.   So you have a water intrusion problem you need to find first and foremost before doing anything with that hole, like why is the carpet soaked?  I would start there. There shouldn't be any water under that sump or bige pump spewing water out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:31 AM, Phillbo said:

 

Though it was capped

 

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, LakeMichiganBoatLife said:

So we had a lot of rain this past week and there was no new water on the carpet.  It almost seems as if it accumulates over time and then eventually just overflows.  However, I do turn on my rear bilge in the engine compartment when I come down to the boat and have seen it overflow after even doing that.  I have attached a picture that you can see the enclosed case for the sump which I believe this is for the shower?  Again this is under the steps that going into the cabin.  It is not the forward berth seats.

It is not just sloshing around because the boat is stationary in the marina slip when it happens.

boatleak8.JPG

 Why isn't there a hose going to the right side of that pump?  Looks like a hose should be on there and then attaches to the fitting on the deck.  Looks like that fitting on the deck where the water is coming up from is a drain from somewhere else on the boat (shower??).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...