rpmurray

Chaparral 220 SSi Windshield doesn't line up

Just bought a 2003 220 SSi.  When I close the center windshield, it doesn't line up properly with the starboard side windshield.  It's about an inch lower.  As a result, it hits the fiberglass at the bottom and has worn it away a little.  Is there an adjustment I can make?  I tried loosening the screws at the four corners of the glass frame, and tried shifting it a little, but I didn't budge.  I don't know if that's because of all the seals and rubber, or just because the shape of the glass will not allow it.  Should there be some room for adjustment?  I didn't want to force it and risk breaking the glass.  Could it be the way it was assembled?  I couldn't imagine Chaparral building it like that.  Is there anything else I can try?  The hinge side seems ok.  Both sides line up edge to edge, just about an inch too low on the stbd side if that makes sense.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Sounds like the base of the port side windshield has shifted forward.  The black rubber stripping along the bottom of the windshield frame (not under it, inserted into it) is removable. Under that stripping are the screws that go through the bottom of the frame and into the fiberglass. If those screws pull out, the base of the windshield will shift forward, causing misalignment.

41 minutes ago, rpmurray said:

Just bought a 2003 220 SSi.  When I close the center windshield, it doesn't line up properly with the starboard side windshield.  It's about an inch lower.  As a result, it hits the fiberglass at the bottom and has worn it away a little.  Is there an adjustment I can make?  I tried loosening the screws at the four corners of the glass frame, and tried shifting it a little, but I didn't budge.  I don't know if that's because of all the seals and rubber, or just because the shape of the glass will not allow it.  Should there be some room for adjustment?  I didn't want to force it and risk breaking the glass.  Could it be the way it was assembled?  I couldn't imagine Chaparral building it like that.  Is there anything else I can try?  The hinge side seems ok.  Both sides line up edge to edge, just about an inch too low on the stbd side if that makes sense.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!

Ok,   If you had a photo of the window it would help. So I will make my best guess.

First off, assuming the hinge is mounted on the port side window, is there a vertical bar to support the windshield at the top at that hinge area?

If so, unbolt it at that area, leave it bolted at the bottom.

If there is no vertical brace, lay the center window in the closed position(but do not latch it).

Now at the top where the port window and the door are hinged together push up and forward on the port glass, and see if there is any reaction to the fit at the bottom.

If this cures the fit, you may have to do the same to the starboard window to make everything lines up properly, you may have to get longer stations to hold everything in place.

It may not be the cure, but it is a start, and it is what I would do first. to see if anything is twisted.

Denny.

2 hours ago, tomnjo said:

Sounds like the base of the port side windshield has shifted forward.  The black rubber stripping along the bottom of the windshield frame (not under it, inserted into it) is removable. Under that stripping are the screws that go through the bottom of the frame and into the fiberglass. If those screws pull out, the base of the windshield will shift forward, causing misalignment.

This is possible, but looking at photos, both side windshields appear to be in the exact same position.  It doesn't look like one side is further forward than the other.   Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the glass closed over.  When closed, the center glass is about 1" lower than the stbd glass.  In the photo, you can see the black mork at the bottom where the frame hits the paint.

Chap12.png

1 hour ago, Denny said:

Ok,   If you had a photo of the window it would help. So I will make my best guess.

First off, assuming the hinge is mounted on the port side window, is there a vertical bar to support the windshield at the top at that hinge area?

If so, unbolt it at that area, leave it bolted at the bottom.

If there is no vertical brace, lay the center window in the closed position(but do not latch it).

Now at the top where the port window and the door are hinged together push up and forward on the port glass, and see if there is any reaction to the fit at the bottom.

If this cures the fit, you may have to do the same to the starboard window to make everything lines up properly, you may have to get longer stations to hold everything in place.

It may not be the cure, but it is a start, and it is what I would do first. to see if anything is twisted.

Denny.

I posted a photo of the open glass above.  The supports on each side are mounted about 2/3s of the way up the frame.  I will pull the rubber back on the port side to see if there are any missing or loose screws.  The fact that its hitting the paint on the stbd side tells me that the issue is with the door or with the port side.  I am going to try and loosen the 4 corner screws again to see if I can simply change the angles on the corners.  If the glass was not cut correctly, I probably won't be able to do anything.  I'm hoping there is a little bit of room between the edge of the glass and the edge of the frame to move things a little.

The windshield sides do look even on the picture.   :scratchchin:  

9 hours ago, rpmurray said:

I posted a photo of the open glass above.  The supports on each side are mounted about 2/3s of the way up the frame.  I will pull the rubber back on the port side to see if there are any missing or loose screws.  The fact that its hitting the paint on the stbd side tells me that the issue is with the door or with the port side.  I am going to try and loosen the 4 corner screws again to see if I can simply change the angles on the corners.  If the glass was not cut correctly, I probably won't be able to do anything.  I'm hoping there is a little bit of room between the edge of the glass and the edge of the frame to move things a little.

Can you get a photo at the same angle with the door laying on the starboard window?

Denny.

I have a similar problem as well. I have and about an 8th inch misalignment where the glass door won't close into the frame so I'm intrested in watching what you guys come up 

20 hours ago, Pillguy said:

I have a similar problem as well. I have and about an 8th inch misalignment where the glass door won't close into the frame so I'm intrested in watching what you guys come up 

Your issue seems to be very common and not nearly as severe as the OP's. I've had to add shims between the windshield frame and upright support brace to jack the window frame up a bit. Less than a 1/16" shim makes a 3/16" difference at the top of the frame due to the adverse angle. The factory screws are long enough.     W

On 10/5/2019 at 7:10 AM, Denny said:

Can you get a photo at the same angle with the door laying on the starboard window?

Denny.

I'll try and get a photo today or tomorrow.  Its stored at my folks.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, rpmurray said:

I'll try and get a photo today or tomorrow.  Its stored at my folks.  Thanks!

What I am trying to see is if the starboard side of the window door frame is at the same height as the port side of the starboard window. (I hope that doesn't confuse you).

If it is below, then you only have to address the port window.

If they are the same height, then you have to address both sides.

Denny.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, Denny said:

What I am trying to see is if the starboard side of the window door frame is at the same height as the port side of the starboard window. (I hope that doesn't confuse you).

If it is below, then you only have to address the port window.

If they are the same height, then you have to address both sides.

Denny.

Still haven't had a chance to get over there, bu based on the photos, both sides appear to be very level with each other.  I'm not sure if the angles match, but the height appears to.  

7 hours ago, rpmurray said:

Still haven't had a chance to get over there, bu based on the photos, both sides appear to be very level with each other.  I'm not sure if the angles match, but the height appears to.  

If where the door touches the starboard wind shield at the top is the same height and the gap is wider at the bottom,  something or someone has pushed both windshields aft in that area.

What has happened is the gap at the top is narrower then the gap at the bottom.

You need to figure out a way to push both windshields forward at the top.

I would look at where they both mount in the middle and see if something is bent.

Take the bolts or screws loose and see if you can change the gap by wiggling it.

Denny.

Given the fact that the Bimini is strapped to the windshield I'd bet it has pulled it out of alignment while under way ... Loosen as many screws as you can find (slightly) , unhook the Bimini and see if you can tweak everything back into alignment...Then tighten all the screws. 

18 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Given the fact that the Bimini is strapped to the windshield I'd bet it has pulled it out of alignment while under way ... Loosen as many screws as you can find (slightly) , unhook the Bimini and see if you can tweak everything back into alignment...Then tighten all the screws. 

I'm not sure how much pressure it will put on the center of the windshield, aren't the bimini's hooked on the outer edges of the wind shield?

Good guess, another option to look at.

Denny.

In the picture it show the bimini straps connecting to the center most section of each windshield.... 

11 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

In the picture it show the bimini straps connecting to the center most section of each windshield.... 

You are right, sorry I missed that. I have been helping a guy doing canvas work for the last few years, and this is the first time that I have seen that. I will have to make a point to look for it from now on. Maybe that is charistic of boats with center walk thru windshields.

Denny

Phillbo has a good idea there just go slow so you don't crack the glass.  Also, I replaced my center glass a few months back.  On the hinge side about in the middle of the hinged frame there is a hole with a black stopper in there and it's held in with a screw.  This prevents the windshield from sliding all the way down and making contact with the boat.  Unscrew the screw and see if you can slide your windshield up or down in the hinge to where it does line up at the top then reinsert the screw.  My explanation isn't very good, I'd have to show you what I'm talking about, but I think you can fix your problem by playing with how the center windshield is slide into the hinge.  I agree with some of others though that your overall windshield frame just got out of alignment either by someone using it as support (pulling) getting to the aft or bow of the boat.  Don't think the bimini would do it. 

Here’s what I did, and it worked, sort of. I removed the center glass from the boat. I loosened the four corner screws and hit it gently with a mallet on the bottom starboard corner. The glass is basically a parallelogram with four screws on the corners. I was able to very gently tap it with a rubber mallet to change the angle of the corners so that it would line up properly. Some of The rubber seals shifted a little, but I just jammed them back in. Now it lines up almost perfectly at the top.  The issue now is that its tight at the top and there's a gap at the bottom.  I guess you can't win them all.  Some of the windshield screws were loose on each side, but there didn't seem like they was any room to adjust or move the glass.  All the holes line up, so I'm not sure why its like that.  Maybe the hull has just sagged a little over the years.  Thanks for everyone’s assistance.

9346E7AE-CC01-41BE-8FFC-73344487784C.jpeg

1 hour ago, rpmurray said:

Here’s what I did, and it worked, sort of. I removed the center glass from the boat. I loosened the four corner screws and hit it gently with a mallet on the bottom starboard corner. The glass is basically a parallelogram with four screws on the corners. I was able to very gently tap it with a rubber mallet to change the angle of the corners so that it would line up properly. Some of The rubber seals shifted a little, but I just jammed them back in. Now it lines up almost perfectly at the top.  The issue now is that its tight at the top and there's a gap at the bottom.  I guess you can't win them all.  Some of the windshield screws were loose on each side, but there didn't seem like they was any room to adjust or move the glass.  All the holes line up, so I'm not sure why its like that.  Maybe the hull has just sagged a little over the years.  Thanks for everyone’s assistance.

9346E7AE-CC01-41BE-8FFC-73344487784C.jpeg

I believe the reason that you have a tight gap on the top, is because the upper parts of the windshield are still back.

Denny.

20 hours ago, Denny said:

You are right, sorry I missed that. I have been helping a guy doing canvas work for the last few years, and this is the first time that I have seen that. I will have to make a point to look for it from now on. Maybe that is charistic of boats with center walk thru windshields.

Denny

Talked with my canvas guy today, he said that is not normal to put any straps there, because it is the weakest part of the windshield, and not designed to take any stress.

Denny.

Maybe now the lift created by the bimini will improve the gap at the top of the walk thru. 

2 minutes ago, Phillbo said:

Maybe now the lift created by the bimini will improve the gap at the top of the walk thru. 

Only if the angle of the lift is forward, straight up or back will have no effect.

Forward will open the gap, by moving the top center part of the windshield towards the bow.

Denny.

1 hour ago, Denny said:

Only if the angle of the lift is forward, straight up or back will have no effect.

Forward will open the gap, by moving the top center part of the windshield towards the bow.

Denny.

How can you move just the top of the windshield forward?  The window is all one piece, all the way around to the sides.  Additionally, the fronts are mounted with a support post that is not adjustable.  Please tell me if there is a way to do that.  I bought the boat with the bimini strap anchors there.  I'm not sure why they are there.  Unfortunately, that is currently where the straps anchor, but I was thinking of relocating them to the normal position on the side in front of the windshield.  I figured they would get in my way when I'm driving the boat.  

I can't get a bigger boat, but I can get a newer boat if the price is right.  I think this one will do me for a couple years.