Wolfy8832

fire extinguisher

My insurance require an automatic  fire extinguisher installed in the engine hatch of my chap 180ssi.

just looking for ideas what you guys have. Any advice would be great maybe some photos of best way to do this.

Cheers 

Mark

2 hours ago, Wolfy8832 said:

My insurance require an automatic  fire extinguisher installed in the engine hatch of my chap 180ssi.

just looking for ideas what you guys have. Any advice would be great maybe some photos of best way to do this.

Cheers 

Mark

This is what the USCG requires for boats under 26 feet.  So if your engine hatch conforms to what they're describing in this requirement, you will need a B-1type fire extinguisher.  But I would call them (the USCG) if this detailing seems a bit ambiguous as to your situation and find out directly from them.  Then take that info to your insurance co.

https://www.boatsafe.com/us-coast-guard-minimum-requirements-recreational-boats/

If I'm not mistaken, the bolded part applies to boats with outboard engines.   Sounds to me like your insurance co. might have a point.  Question is, why didn't Chaparral install one from the factory.  Maybe they read the requirements differently?

Fire Extinguisher
(Must be Coast Guard approved)

One B-I type approved hand portable fire extinguisher. (Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 ft in length if the construction of the motorboat is such that it does not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.)

Two B-I type OR one B-II type approved portable fire extinguishers. Three B-I type OR one B-I type PLUS one B-II type approved portable fire extinguishers.

I believe it was an option.  My 1st 2 boats didn't have the auto system (not Chaparrals).  My 3rd, a Chap 1830 did have it.  Current 210SSI doesn't have the auto system.

Looked in the '98 brochure I had previously downloaded.  Auto system was std on sport seating, optional on std seating on the ssi's of '98.

Your seat / chair determines your fire system ?   What B S 

That is why self regulated companies are very dangerous to the public using their product.

6 hours ago, Hatem said:

This is what the USCG requires for boats under 26 feet.  So if your engine hatch conforms to what they're describing in this requirement, you will need a B-1type fire extinguisher.  But I would call them (the USCG) if this detailing seems a bit ambiguous as to your situation and find out directly from them.  Then take that info to your insurance co.

https://www.boatsafe.com/us-coast-guard-minimum-requirements-recreational-boats/

If I'm not mistaken, the bolded part applies to boats with outboard engines.   Sounds to me like your insurance co. might have a point.  Question is, why didn't Chaparral install one from the factory.  Maybe they read the requirements differently?

Fire Extinguisher
(Must be Coast Guard approved)

One B-I type approved hand portable fire extinguisher. (Not required on outboard motorboats less than 26 ft in length if the construction of the motorboat is such that it does not permit the entrapment of explosive or flammable gases or vapors, and if fuel tanks are not permanently installed.)

Two B-I type OR one B-II type approved portable fire extinguishers. Three B-I type OR one B-I type PLUS one B-II type approved portable fire extinguishers.

Hatems post has nothing to do with that requirement.

That type B1, is only a 2lb dry powder extinguisher. Nothing to do with an auto system.

But if it was me, i would do it anyways.

Heck I have a fire extinguisher in the 16' Aluminum fish boat with a 2 stroke 30 hp...…….. REAL gasoline fires are explosive & very hot. I doubt if I would have enough time to decide between a life jacket in the bow. Fight the fire. Or jump overboard holding the jacket in my hands.

My 2008 264 Sunesta came with a 100cf Fireboy unit.  They are set up with a harness that leads to an indicator light on the dash and I have seen some reports that it also cuts power to the blowers when discharged.   

I just called them, as I need a replacement, and the current pn is CG20100227-B.  I imagine using one from this line in your application is a safe bet and they have a worksheet on their website for determining the proper size.

8 minutes ago, Dustin Mustangs said:

My 2008 264 Sunesta came with a 100cf Fireboy unit.  They are set up with a harness that leads to an indicator light on the dash and I have seen some reports that it also cuts power to the blowers when discharged.   

I just called them, as I need a replacement, and the current pn is CG20100227-B.  I imagine using one from this line in your application is a safe bet and they have a worksheet on their website for determining the proper size.

Yes, just do the math for the Sq footage. I bought the next size up to be on the safe side.

They are asking for a extinguisher IN THE CLOSED ENGINE BOX.  That requires a melting / heat link to discharge the extinguisher & a INCORPORATED  switch to stop the bilge blowers while the extinguisher is discharging.

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

Hatems post has nothing to do with that requirement.

Yeah, the OP is asking about an Insurance requirement, not a USCG requirement..

Well, I would think that insurance companies would follow USCG requirements.  Not that difficult to put the to together and figure it out.

Well, obviously in this case the OP's insurance has a mind of it's own. I'd change insurance companies. I've owned boats since '81 and have never seen that clause on a small boat policy. 

USCG regs have nothing to do with the OP's question... He wants to get recommendations on a good automatic system. 

Something like this:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/fireboy-xintex--ma2-fire-extinguisher-175cu-ft-coverage-7-6lb-agent-weight--P008_244_002_524?pCode=6818579&mrkgcl=481&mrkgadid=3280891156&cm_mmc=PS-_-Google-_-GSC>NonB>Product%20Type-_-6818579&product_id=6818579&creative=108421552804&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrfvsBRD7ARIsAKuDvMMDyAGBDfXM5zQLdvGaOEBu7-facaKVp0zh0Bi88FLYenI4jwYSsaYaAvp7EALw_wcB

This topic brings up another interesting thing about...………. Self Regulated Companies...………. Gasoline tanks made of plastic ????    Sounds safer & CHEAPER than metal tanks when a fire is going on out of sight.

Thanks for all advice .I  Should of said i live in the UK and the insurance company is Towergate. The boat is a 2008 model volvo penta 30gl.

Previous insurance company did not require a auto fire extinguisher but towergate 1/3 cheaper.  Plus I think it does sound a good Idea to fit one. Enginge located under rear sofa.

Just  wondering how and best way.

Thanks again

Mark

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-27 at 13.59.33.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-02-27 at 13.59.34.jpeg

Look at any boat at a dealer that has a factory installation.  Piece of cake. A couple of wires to the bilge BLOWER circuit wires.  Maybe even to a dash panel if you want a factory look & easy check of the system without raising the seat each time.  Great that you do not want to be on a boat with out a fire SUPPRESSION system.     :wub: