Sign in to follow this  
Happy Husker

1200 hrs, doing new long block. what else should be done

350 mag, using lots of oil, decided to do a new long block, what else should be done while the motor is out? Thanks.

Bilge pump moved to a better location at the transom & keel center line. Should pump out 99 % of the water then.

Check all wire ends & plugs for corrosion.

Check gasoline lines & brackets 

Starter, manifold and riser inspection, exhaust flappers, and rear shift cable. I'm curious as to why the old engine only made it to 1200 hours.  W

It runs great but uses a quart every 2-3 hrs. We will go thru it after we pull it to see if it can be fixed and sold. I will have everything you guys have mentioned checked once it is out. We plan on keeping the Chap at least another 10 yrs so it was going to need an engine sooner or later. Im also throwing a new sea pump on too.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

9 hours ago, Happy Husker said:

It runs great but uses a quart every 2-3 hrs. We will go thru it after we pull it to see if it can be fixed and sold. I will have everything you guys have mentioned checked once it is out. We plan on keeping the Chap at least another 10 yrs so it was going to need an engine sooner or later. Im also throwing a new sea pump on too.  Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'd take the old motor, do a compression test, replace the valve guide seals, and put another 1,200 hours on her although it may be in another hull. Put Mobil 1, 15w-50 in the new engine, and we can talk again somewhere north of another 3,000 hours. Just be sure to check engine alignment during installation.  Fill the new oil filter and prime the oil system before installing the distributor.  Fuel module internal inspection is a good idea at this time also along with filter and strainer replacement, and confirm delivery pressure  to the fuel rail as you don't want the new engine running lean.  W

2 hours ago, MonkeySeaII said:

replace the 350 with a 496:beer-7687-1:

Man, I'd love to have one in my 220!

8 hours ago, Wingnut said:

I'd take the old motor, do a compression test, replace the valve guide seals, and put another 1,200 hours on her although it may be in another hull. Put Mobil 1, 15w-50 in the new engine, and we can talk again somewhere north of another 3,000 hours. Just be sure to check engine alignment during installation.  Fill the new oil filter and prime the oil system before installing the distributor.  Fuel module internal inspection is a good idea at this time also along with filter and strainer replacement, and confirm delivery pressure  to the fuel rail as you don't want the new engine running lean.  W

added to the list.