Sign in to follow this  
JohnZ

Garmin 5212

I have a Garmin 5212 on my boat and it has the g2 maps installed.  I own the g3 maps from a previous chartplotter and would like to install them (figure newer must be better, right).  I contacted Garmin customer support and their guidance was to load the g3 maps onto an SD card, put that card in the slot and the maps will load when the unit boots up.  That did not work - so I have sent another note to Garmin asking for more guidance.  I figured I would reach out to this group to see if anyone else has successfully loaded new maps onto an older chartplotter.  Thanks in advance for any help

Remember 1 important fact about lawyers & companies.  Both reserve the rights to change anything at any time. 

15 hours ago, JohnZ said:

I have a Garmin 5212 on my boat and it has the g2 maps installed.  I own the g3 maps from a previous chartplotter and would like to install them (figure newer must be better, right).  I contacted Garmin customer support and their guidance was to load the g3 maps onto an SD card, put that card in the slot and the maps will load when the unit boots up.  That did not work - so I have sent another note to Garmin asking for more guidance.  I figured I would reach out to this group to see if anyone else has successfully loaded new maps onto an older chartplotter.  Thanks in advance for any help

I bought the new G3 chip (and you have several area options or the entire United States) and just slid it into the chip slot on the front of the unit and it automatically loaded once I booted the system.  I talked a lot about it on the GPS for newbies thread but it got destroyed by a couple haters so I truly hope it doesn't happen here to you now that I have posted on your thread.

I'm not familiar with the 5212, but it should have a chip slot on the bottom, right front?  I have the 741xs (with the built-in G2) and a couple of months ago, I bought the G3 chip, put it into the slot, closed the cover and started the system and it took maybe 2 or 3 minutes and all my maps were AMAZING!  It even restored all my bread crumbs which I thought was amazing. 

U3KBbgo.jpg

i have the 5212 - you should be able to upload the updated maps on the SD card from the Garmin website, then re-try.

I had that model before we upgraded and tried upgrading bought the new maps and it never took. Partly why i upgraded. 

2 hours ago, Iggy said:

Is the unit 5212 registered with Garmin under your account?? 

Yes it is.  I've been working with Garmin CS and they have been surprisingly engaging and willing to offer suggestions.  Unfortunately no solution as yet.  And its now on blocks under cover so this goes onto the list for spring

2 hours ago, JohnZ said:

Yes it is.  I've been working with Garmin CS and they have been surprisingly engaging and willing to offer suggestions.  Unfortunately no solution as yet.  And its now on blocks under cover so this goes onto the list for spring

That could have been the problem....... Oh well.....