1. Single engine.. prefer torque over speed
  2. Kohler generator
  3. Rear facing aft seat
  4. Arch
  5. 2006 to 2011 model
  6. Freshwater
  7. 250 to 500 hrs total time
  8. swim deck

We test rode a 250 signature.... what’s the difference with a 250, 270, 276, and 280 signature?  I’ve received a lot of conflicting information.  We have to stay below 30’ max front to back.  The aft facing rear seat is very important... we looked at the Sea Ray 260 but have difficulties finding that seat with a generator within our target price.  We would like to stay somewhere in the 50k plus or minus 10k. Need to get to southern Missouri.  Any advice greatly appreciated.  Thanks!  Tim

My apologies, I don’t understand the question.  We are looking for something in very good condition... a 7 on a scale of 10.  Prefer mechanically sound.  My primary question is that I don’t really know the difference between the 250, 270, 276 and 280 signatures.  I have tried to do research but difficult... I figured there are real experts here on the forum.  I’m clueless and could use some solid advice... thanks.  Tim

All depends on the manufacturing year. Chaparral Boats had change their boats design around 2006, and the relation between model number and LOA around 2010. My selective understanding is:

I know next to nothing about pre 2006 models.

The 2006 276 is same boat as 2007/8/9 270 - nearly 29 feet LOA.

The 2007/8/9 250 - is two feet shorter. All are narrow hull around 8.5 feet, single engine.

The 280 (and higher) of same period would be a wide hull with two engines, around 30 feet (and longer) LOA.

The 250 had been renumbered as 270 (no kidding!) starting in 2010. The previous 270 had been removed from the lineup.

If you need more specs for any boat since the 90's, go to Chaparral Boats main websites and look for yearly boat brochures.

Hi Tim!

There's a chart somebody made on this forum, but I can't seem to find it.  I downloaded it and can send to you tonight when I get home.  The chart shows the various length and beam of each model across different year models.  Chaparral did make it very confusing!

My 250 was the one you test drove.  Search my profile on here and you'll see lots of info on the 250 that we may not have discussed in person.

The main difference is the size. The size corresponds to the boat model.  A 250 is 25 ft, 270 is 27ft, 280 is 28 ft and so on.  As for other differences, go on the Chaparral Website and check out the different models.  You can go to the boat owners area and look at the Parts Manuals for the make and year your looking for.  Those Parts Manuals show the configuration for each boat type and will give you a good idea of the differences.