CHAP257SSX

Need better / louder sounds !!! JL Audio or WS ?

Looking to upgrade my 2019 257 SSX during this off season. Have stock Polk head unit with 6 Polk speakers. Thinking of going with two towers and a 10” sub. Anyone have any recommendations?? 

thanks 

WetSounds is known for excellent tower speakers.  That being said, I do not have any tower speakers so there's that.  :D

I have always heard Fusion was great stuff.. I am putting a new fusion head unit in my Sunesta in the spring.  I think they make speakers too, although for now I’m ok with the JBL speakers I have.

I'm thinking of doing the JL M6 lineup in mine. You really can't go wrong with either but I'm a fan of the looks of the JL grills and the JL C series I had in one of my trucks were just plain awesome. 

Is the existing six in-boats amplified? That can help with their volume and sound quality. If there is an OEM amp, I always like to revisit its settings. Then, look at its wattage potential. 

Both Wet Sounds and JL offer an 8" coaxial. Similar power handling, so similar output and volume potential. If you want loud from a tower setup, bigger is better. Something like the Wet Sounds Rev-10 or the Kicker KMTC11. Both are an HLCD and handle a ton of wattage and have plenty of output, especially in the mid-bass range.  

Why do you need it so loud? Not everyone on the lake wants to hear your music.

If I want to be a loud mouth showoff ?   I can be one.  Look at me.  I am the greatest !!

you will most likely need an amp or 2.  You may consider a 3rd battery.   I have seen those people in the bay with the tower speakers cranked, they usually have to run the engine often to keep the batteries up.

Depends on the money you want to spend.  I got some infinitys for cheap from academy, did a SKAR amp and it is loud.  not much for bass since it is 6.5's but I was trying to be cheap and still have decent quality

Judging from these posts, I must have misunderstood the OP.  I took it to mean he was considering tower speakers.

I built my tunes for quality sound, not LOUD. My music is typically being played at a level that the friends in the boat rafted up next to me can still carry on a conversation with me from their boat.  

I hate having to yell over music to have a conversation. 

1 hour ago, Futzin' said:

I took it to mean he was considering tower speakers.

Seems clear he is

1 hour ago, Phillbo said:

I built my tunes for quality sound, not LOUD.

Both can be had

yeah but LOUD is not my style. I prefer to have conversations instead of yelling over LOUD music..

-I am going to do JL M6 650 x 6, JL 12MIB(12” free air sub) x 1 under the helm,  and JL M6 7.7” x 2 tower speakers.  

-Power will be a JL M1000/5 powering the towers(bridged) and sub. JL 600/6 power the M6 650’s.  

I will be able to achieve a good amount of volume and quality sound with 40 mph worth of wind and motor noise.

First estimate came in from one of the audio places in Fox Lake IL. 
All JL Audio

M800 sub

M3-7.7 tower speakers 

M3 10”” sub 

thoughts on this combo ? 

M6 is just their upgraded model.  The M3(formerly MX) was/is regarded as one of the best speakers for the money.  The M6 is just a little better, but cost quite a bit more.  I would say the M6 is a little warmer with more mid base.  They will perform a little better at higher volumes.  I tried to talk myself into the M3’s but i would always wonder how much better the M6 would be, so I’ll just go that route!!!

What’s the difference in the 7.8 to the 8.8 tower speakers ?? Is it bass or mid range that is better ?? 

hate to do this and regret or wish I would have done it different 

8 hours ago, CHAP257SSX said:

First estimate came in from one of the audio places in Fox Lake IL. 
All JL Audio

M800 sub

M3-7.7 tower speakers 

M3 10”” sub 

thoughts on this combo ? 

M800/8 amp? If so, one amp driving 3 pair of in-boats, a woofer and a pair of tower speakers is too much load/lacking wattage to the tower pods, and minimum wattage to the woofer. 

Difference between the 770 and 880 is about 22% larger mid-bass and the 880 has a 1.25" tweeter compared to the 770's 1.0". This equals deeper mid-bass and more output from the larger speaker. An 8" speaker, such as the 880, has 35% less surface are then say a 10" speaker. 

Im always a fan of wattage headroom, but that would not be an audible difference. If I was going to drive that woofer to its potential, and stay within the JL line, id go with the MHD750/1.

Outside of the JL lineup, I know of a single amp that would deliver 600W rms to a woofer and 100 to each of your 6 in-boats. The bridge a JL M400/4 to the tower pair.  

37 minutes ago, Was_Wylie_Tunes said:

Im always a fan of wattage headroom, but that would not be an audible difference. If I was going to drive that woofer to its potential, and stay within the JL line, id go with the MHD750/1.

Outside of the JL lineup, I know of a single amp that would deliver 600W rms to a woofer and 100 to each of your 6 in-boats. The bridge a JL M400/4 to the tower pair.  

What amp?  I have a JL “source”, not sure what my pricing will end up but I would be interested in looking at outside brands. You can PM me so we don’t derail here too much. 

Thanks!

CHAP

I do not see you specifying  the speeds you want everyone in the boat to be hearing the sounds. What is your GPS WOT speed if that is desired.  Some tower boats can be very strong wind noise generators. I have 2 friends With noisy towers.   We have to look at & raise our voices at 45 mph GPS.  I convinced them to go to RF Wireless headphones for the on plane music. 1 boat also has a microphone on the headsets. It allows music or chatting for each passenger.  People not into either sounds just go to sleep.  I really liked that boat a lot.  The basic tower was great stopped & off plane.  Then we all put on the wireless headphones that allowed selecting music or a group chatting.  Really a neat setup compared to 2000 watts at WOT.

Lots of ways to do this today.

Edit 

The headphone boats do not have that echoing of voice speech between bow & stern people .  Even my 186 can cause echoing between bow seats & driver behind the windshield at 45 mph.

Steve and Steph 

keep this going, I don’t feel it’s getting de railed. Good info. 

I know nothing about stereo systems so the more the better. 

what I am hearing is that you don’t feel the M800/8V2 is sufficient to push the 6 factory Polk speakers, the JL sub and the two 7.7 tower speakers ?? Is that correct ?